Bryce Harper: MLB slugger has high standards on and off the field

• SlopJ30 St Louis, MO
    May 7, 2013 2:31 p.m.

Well, Chris, I just can't imagine why I would care about such things. There will some ultra-orthodox Mormons who make it kind of a hobby to point out every little thing they think one of their own is doing wrong, but most just don't care that much about a few tatts.

Personally, I drink soda with caffeine, don't hold Family Home Evening, watch non-religious TV programming on Sundays, am known to utter a naughty word now and then, don't seek out the opporunity to go on splits with the local missionaries, and don't see why I would possibly care if the gay couple down the street want to get hitched. Any or all of those would get me sad looks of castigation from the types that give a flying fig if Bryce Harper or anyone else has a tattoo. Oh, well.

• reasonableUTE Provo, UT
    May 7, 2013 2:30 p.m.

"we should all be a bit more lenient"

A bit more lenient????? We should be 100% lenient with this guy, it's not our place to judge him in any way shape or form. Since when was it our responsibility to judge people? Do you not pay attention in sunday school?? and yes... I am a very very active mormon.

• thebigsamoan Richmond, VA
    May 7, 2013 2:28 p.m.

@Dr. Chim Richalds,

You hate Utah because of some peoples comments? Haven't you noticed that many posters on these boards are not members of the LDS faith? For a doctor you sure don't display any sense.

As for Bryce, I've seen him played a couple of times on tv but never noticed him having any tatoos either. I personally don't object to a small decorative tatoo on the arm or ankle that looks nice and doesn't deface your body. I think the Lord can live with that. It's the excess that makes you look like a freak that I think defiles the temple which is our body.

• reasonableUTE Provo, UT
    May 7, 2013 2:27 p.m.

good comment! I am mormon, so naturally I agree that alcohol should not be consumed, but I do not think that abstaining from alcohol or intercourse or from tattoos makes you a good person. Whether or not we are good people is defined by the good that we do, not the bad we don't do. Maybe Bryce is a good guy (he seems like it to me), maybe not. This article does nothing to either confirm or debunk it's stipulation that he is a good person. His non-drinking does not make him a good person, and his tattoos do not make him a bad person. I am sure there are millions and millions of good people that drink. Mormons are told not to drink because it makes it easier to do good when you are sober.

• Gone fishin Murray, UT
    May 7, 2013 2:23 p.m.

So Chris,
    I guess that your attacking does not end with BYU but now must attack the LDS Church and its members? Did you consider that some of these may not have been members when they got their tattos? The Church baptizes over 300,000 people each year that bring old lifestyles with them.

Please get your facts correct before spewing off.

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    May 7, 2013 1:31 p.m.

Why the obsession with tattoos on this board?? Get a life people. It's nothing but a red herring. Bryce Harper is a stud.

• I-am-I South Jordan, UT
    May 7, 2013 1:15 p.m.

-- I swear I'm trying to be as positive as possible (really) please don't take offense. What I don't understand is why Chris B, would invalidate these guys righteous desires and actions. Why not instead support their righteous actions desires while accepting they have flaws. Tattoos like has been established for some of these guys is a cultural thing, but in the case that a tattoo is a sin it literally stains you the way other sins would figuratively stain you. In Christian theology all are lost and all commit sin. Just because a tattoo is more visible than other sins does not mean you should invalidate their other righteous actions. There are plenty of people who have committed far more grave acts (that are not as visible) and are allowed to do good. These are great guys, flawed (and apparently visibly so) but trying to do some good in the world. Give them a break and allow them to do it. Maybe even support them and worry about doing some good yourself. :)

• jasonlivy Orem, UT
    May 7, 2013 11:29 a.m.

I have no problem with Chris' question. This is a prime example of the standard the world holds us to. We need to be willing to live up to the higher law set forth by the Savior.

I totally agree with Chris on tatoos. I am fed up with athletes who think that they make one more intimidating. I was watching the Knicks and Pacers play in the NBA playoffs last night and couldn't believe the horrendous tatoos some of the players had. JR Smith from Denver looks like an absolute fool! He has tats over tats and simply looks silly. I can't help but think when he gets older what his grandkids will think. At that point they will look like black splotches as though he has some awful disease.

As far as Bryce goes, I have no idea why he has tatoos. If he was raised in the church (don't know if he was), he should know better. If not, then we all should be a bit more lenient. However, a tattoo is a very poor decision for anyone from any walk of life culturally or otherwise. That's my opinion anyway.

• Go Utes Salt Lake City, UT
    May 7, 2013 11:00 a.m.

The Church has a lot of teachings, and no member of the Church perfectly follows them all. When will we as a people look past that and know that we are all at different places on our journey back to God. While the tatoo thing is great advice, the Savior Himself did not speak to that. He DID say, however, to "Judge not."

Congratulations to Bryce Harper and his amazing accomplishments. Fun player to watch and I wish him the best of success in what will hopefully be a long, wonderful career.

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    May 7, 2013 10:00 a.m.

Chris B -

You stooped to a new low on this one.

• UtahBruin Saratoga Springs, UT
    May 7, 2013 8:57 a.m.

@Wiscougarfan - As for what he does off the field. I know he is very actively involved with kids in the D.C. area. He has a youth program that he funds and participates in to encourage youth both athletically and in education. But that is the only one I know of.

As for Harper himself, he is still young and has come along way. He has tremendous drive and passion for a game that he and many of us love. This was a young boy that we all get to watch grow right before our eyes. He was thrust into the lime light because of his talent. I would say he is a great success both on and off the field from his transformation from high school, to his short college career at So. Nevada to now with the pros and Washington Nats. I am a Harper fan on and off the field and I wish the kid continued success, I would be honored if my kid followed the same work ethic and values, even if he had a tattoo. But like one other poster, I have never seen a tattoo on him.

• Dr. Chim Richalds ROUND HILL, VA
    May 7, 2013 7:54 a.m.

These comments about Harper's tattoos and how he lives his life and the choices he makes and all the speculation of whether or not he's a good Mormon or bad Mormon are EXACTLY the reason why I love the church but I HATE UTAH! Can't you see how each of you look when you take time to post comments about the way a person chooses to live their life. I happen to live outside of Washington DC and I can tell you that Bryce Harper is a great example of young people out here.

He's done more in his life at the age of 20 than ANY of you will ever do in yours! Leave the kid alone and be happy for him!

• TRUTH Salt Lake City, UT
    May 6, 2013 9:46 p.m.

The kid is an absolute stud...after reading this article, I found a Harper jersey on line and have become an instant fan......Harper and RGIII are about the only good thing left in Washington.

• BYR Woods Cross, UT
    May 6, 2013 8:45 p.m.

What a sad discussion. Can we not focus on the good, without all the fault finding. No one is perfect. To expect so is naive.

• SC Fan Saint George, UT
    May 6, 2013 8:37 p.m.

Did I miss something. This is a tremendous talent that is proud to be LDS. I saw him play many times and knew when he was a Soph in HS that he would be great. I can't wait to see him play this summer and would think you all would be making plans to go see such an amazing athlete play instead of nit-picking about whether he does or does not have a tatoo. Be happy that there is someone out there you can feel good about your kids looking up to. Worry about you own choices and let him worry about his!!

• Guam_Bomb BARRIGADA, GU
    May 6, 2013 7:04 p.m.

Good job trolling Chris B

• dnay Salt Lake City, UT
    May 6, 2013 5:41 p.m.

Chris B. If you cared for your body what would you rather do, get a tattoo or drink alcohol? The answer is get a tattoo. Your friend at work doesn't know what he's talking about, yeah the presidency doesn't encourage poly kids to get tattoo's, primarily they don't bring it up, why should they, it's not against any doctorine, you can still hold the highest callings having tattoo's etc.

My question to you is, why are you judging those who have tattoo's? That's essentially what your saying, those who get tattoo's have no respect for their bodies. The guy you work for is probably one of those who say we can't drink caffeine either.

• Wyominguy Buffalo, WY
    May 6, 2013 4:53 p.m.

Since the subject of tats has been worked over Ill add my .02. Personally I find them offensive, then again I was raised in the 60's and was a Johnnie U/ R. Maris fan..ya, crew cuts, etc...they set Examples for clean cut. Today Few athletes set a decent example so this kid Harper is standing tall in my eyes no matter what his Church affiliation is.

• donn layton, UT
    May 6, 2013 4:21 p.m.

RE: aunt lucy. It's not our place to judge which are worse or who is more at fault. Let's just respect everyone on the path as doing the best they can and let our Savior do the judging. OK,

Lev: 19:28 Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD(Jehovah).

Lev 21:5 The priests must not shave their heads or trim their beards or cut their bodies.” This was the custom of Heathen nations; such were made by the Egyptians in their mournings.

• Rational Salt Lake City, UT
    May 6, 2013 3:54 p.m.

Two responses:

I agree, good writing requires one to back up one's premise, although we must remember the authors don't write the tagline.

Second, if all Harper ever does off the field is treat women right, avoid drugs and alcohol, not cheat at his sport and be kind to young fans he will set himself apart from the vast majority of athletes, and fans for that matter. Everything beyond that is gravy.

• joseywales Park City, UT
    May 6, 2013 2:53 p.m.

He is a phenomenal talent for sure. I wish him well and hope he can stay clean. Many times we see LDS athletes or other celebrities (dancers, singers, actors) who fall into the "hollywood lifestyle" and forget their roots. Personally, I'm not judging anyone for making any choice they feel comfortable for them, but it's sad when some of these people cave. I like to see people who stand up for what they believe in, and that includes all faiths or cultures.

P.S. I'm LDS, I drink and have a few tats, so I'm not speaking from a place of not understanding.

• Wiscougarfan River Falls, WI
    May 6, 2013 2:31 p.m.

Interesting that this thread is focused on tattoos, something that isn't mentioned in the article, but something that bugs me too (am I actually siding with Chris B???)

I am curious about what "good things" Harper has done off-the-field. I don't know a lot about him and haven't seen much that would make me proud for him to represent my faith (although the good work ethic is certainly one step in the right direction). This article doesn't offer any actual examples of Harper's off-the-field behavior. Does anyone know of anything notable that he has done?

• FT1/SS Virginia Beach, VA
    May 6, 2013 12:35 p.m.

@Chris B, in our church there is a concept called Free Agency where you may make bad or good choices. Were taught not to go around judging others, which some failed to do. I can't imagine attending your church, or maybe you don't attend. Expecting others to be perfect, and calling them out on it when there not. I find that amusing.

• Area 52 Tooele, UT
    May 6, 2013 12:05 p.m.

As for Star, Manti and a lot of other Polynesians it's definitely a culture thing.

• cowboy99 South Jordan, UT
    May 6, 2013 12:02 p.m.

Because we take on ourselves the name of Christ it's our responsibility to represent Him to others and as such we need to represent ourselves well to others getting a tattoo while in and of itself is could be harmless can cause bad first impressions and can distract from that goal.

For Native Polynesians, though, like Manti Teo or Star Lotulelei getting a tattoo is a rite of passage within that culture and a symbol of manhood. So getting a tattoo does not carry the same bad connotations that it would for others. And in some situations could even be considered the right thing to do as a Mormon.

• Idaho_Boy Aberdeen, ID
    May 6, 2013 10:35 a.m.

Chris B. Good question. The prophet Joseph Smith is quoted as saying that he taught members of the church correct principles and let them govern themselves. The prophet has spoken and encouraged members to not get tattoos, but I know of nothing that specifically prohibits members that have tattoos from participating in some activity within the church. Now they may have to cover the tattoo(s) before they could participate in some aspect of a church assignment. That I am not sure. There was an article in the Deseret News a week or two ago about a new convert that joined the church that had a lot of tattoos from before she joined the church. So in this case members have been taught a correct principle, but the members can govern themselves in this matter.

• CA. reader Rocklin, CA
    May 6, 2013 10:22 a.m.

I admit that I have not seen many photos of this young man, but I do not see any tatoos on him.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    May 6, 2013 10:18 a.m.

I stand corrected on Hoffman if he's not Mormon, although why didn't you guys all address Star, Manti, Bryce, and a number of byu Mormons guys who do have tattoos?

• aunt lucy Looneyville, UT
    May 6, 2013 10:18 a.m.

Re: Chris B

If you're Mormon and you have committed to strive to live a Christlike life, then getting tattoos' is just one of a thousand poor choices. While some of us would never consider tattoos, we would all too easily choose one of the other thousand. It's not our place to judge which are worse or who is more at fault. Let's just respect everyone on the path as doing the best they can and let our Savior do the judging. He's the one who knows everyone's heart and circumstances.

• moorer23 Orem, UT
    May 6, 2013 10:12 a.m.

Yeah ChrisB, Hoffman is not LDS.

• offenderforaword South Jordan, UT
    May 6, 2013 10:09 a.m.

1) Cody Hoffman isn't Mormon.
    2) It's true Mormons are advised to avoid getting tattoos. However, it's not an issue that affects someone's membership or activity.
    3) Some Mormons choose to get tattoos.
    4) Some get them removed when they think better of it.

I suppose I see why you could find that funny.

May 6, 2013 10:04 a.m.

Chris B, Not all the persons you listed are Mormon.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    May 6, 2013 9:45 a.m.

"my body is a temple"

Well that explains his tattoos I guess.

I always think its funny when I see Mormon kids(Star Lotulelei, Cody Hoffman, Manti Teo, Bryce Harper) to name a few who seem to proscribe to the "my body is a temple" tagline, and then go get covered it tattoos.

Which is it Mormons?

I know some of you Mormons want to claim "its a cultural thing so its ok" but I had a Mormon co-worker told me that that is wrong. He told me no Mormon prophet has ever given the Polynesian kids a free pass to get tattoos. Am I wrong?