Sports

BYU basketball: Brandon Davies' NBA draft stock is rising

Comments

• 4601 Salt Lake City, UT
    May 6, 2013 8:21 p.m.

Although they would hate it, Mildred and Bass may be right.

• let's roll LEHI, UT
    May 6, 2013 7:42 p.m.

Davies always struggled when he was tentative and excelled when he was aggressive. Because of the lack of front court depth on the Y, it was difficult to be aggressive because they needed him on the floor as much as possible. If anything held him back at the Y it was the fact he put the team first and tried to stay on the floor at the expense of being uber-aggressive.

His success in all star games reflects the fact that he's being aggressive and not worrying about fouling out. He can run the floor and has good defensive instincts, but he'll have to improve his mid range shooting to stick at the next level. He wasn't asked to do that much in college but there's no future for 6' 9" back to the basket players in the NBA.

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    May 6, 2013 7:08 p.m.

@ AZUTE1

You know when I saw your identity and a discussion about Davies and Fredette I immediately formulated a question in my mind... Did you by chance get to see either the 2010 or 2011 BYU vs Arizona games... Both Davies and Fredette played in it against a player by the name of Derrick Williams from the highly touted University of Arizona... Maybe you've heard of him, he was a 2nd overall draft pick in 2011... Anyway, both games were really close... In 2010 BYU beat the Wild Cats by 30 on their home floor... In 2011, Arizona had sworn revenge and was able to get within 22 points in SLC... Oh, and the Ute games, will those have been back and forth over the past 7 years... Utah was able to win one out of 12 and that one was in OT on their home floor.

So when you say that Davies and Fredette are average players, well I just have to chuckle at the thought of a U fan (particularly one from Arizona) thinking that they are capable of rendering a judgment on anything to do with Basketball... Sorry Azute1, come back during Gymnastics Season.

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    May 6, 2013 4:52 p.m.

BD is an above avg player but I don't see him lasting long in the league, if at all. He'll make a decent living playing the game, regardless.

Heck, he can't be any worse than JF, can he? Is that guy still on a NBA roster these days? What a complete bust he was and even with all of the hoopla, he managed to carry his team only as far as the sweet 16. Danny Ainge topped him 30+ years ago the last time byu made it that far. Well, byu leads the nation in tourney appearances without ever reaching the final four, for a reason.

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    May 6, 2013 4:02 p.m.

Good luck to you Davies. There are plenty of players who have gone in the second round, who people thought would not translate to the NBA. I never thought Doleac would have a great career, but he got a ring with Miami playing backup to Shaq. Although not a great career in most peoples' eyes, it was a career I could never have.

Work hard - you'll earn a spot.

• Osgrath Provo, UT
    May 6, 2013 1:35 p.m.

The only person touting Brandon for the first round of the draft is Mildred in Fillmore, and we all know who that is. The article does not pronounce him a lock for even the second round. It evenhandedly reported that his performance post-season enhanced his prospects.

Besides, who says a person's worth is tied up in being and NBA star? Travis Hansen became a millionaire in Russia and Spain. If anyone can remember Jake Chrisman from a decade plus ago, who dropped basketball after a year on the BYU team to pursue baseball, and made a nice living for himself playing basketball in Asia, then became a physical therapist. There is more in life for someone who doesn't make it in the NBA than selling cell phones at a mall kiosk.

In reality Brandon's future is pretty much in his own hands. If he brings the heart and effort that Paul Millsap showed as a 2nd rounder, he could find a nice niche. As pointed out already, Millsap was a rebounding machine in college, but it was his heart and drive that made his career. To succeed, Davies will need to make that same effort.

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    May 6, 2013 1:18 p.m.

Well then reasonableUte, why don't you tell us who these "more rugged" big men are that caused Brandon to disappear???

I gave you an example of two sure first round 7 footers that Brandon did better than when they played head to head... The team that was possibly the most physical that BYU played this year was Southern Miss in the quarterfinals of the NIT... In that game he scored 12 and pulled down 13 boards with 3 assists... Southern Miss's big man Boardingham, scored 19 and pulled down 5 rebounds... I would hardly say that Davies disappeared... In fact, he pulled a double team the entire game and still ended up with a double-double.

At the end of the season he played in an all star game and shined and then went and played against about 100 college seniors entering the draft and walked away with the MVP trophy and his team won the Championship Trophy... I didn't get to see the games but I am guessing that the competition he faced had more than a couple NBA level players playing in it.

Again reasonableUte, it is always a good idea to do some homework before making declarations.

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    May 6, 2013 12:57 p.m.

@ ekute

Davies may eventually end up in Europe but I doubt it...

Before that happens he will be an early 2nd rounder and he will stick to hi team's roster and depending on how he does in his relief role, he could have a comparatively long career in the NBA. He's quick for a #4, jumps well, has good defensive body positioning and he can swat... On the Offensive side of the court he is a back to the basket player which is fairly rare for a #4 and he has some of the best footwork among the College Bigs that I have seen this year... Steve Kerr said in a couple of broadcasts that he expected to see Davies in the NBA next year and I agree with him.

Add all this to the fact that he has shown very well against the competition in both the All Star game and in the Portsmouth Tourney and all reasonable folks can see that this guy has an NBA future... Write it down and take it to the bank.

• reasonableUTE Provo, UT
    May 6, 2013 12:47 p.m.

@poyman

Relax man... Did you not hear the part where I said I went to every BYU home game? I'm not a BYU hater, My opinion is based on facts. Just ask local unbiased experts, they will tell you the same thing. I like Davies, and he was a solid college player, but he hasn't improved nearly as much as people thought he would. His post moves are the same as they were in high school. I know this because I had to guard him on a regular basis. I don't hate Brandon, I don't hate BYU.

Also, I said bigger, and more rugged... not just bigger. Olynyk is as far from rugged as it gets. When he plays against guys who like to bang he disappears.

Yes, he does have good footwork, but it's the same footwork he had in high school. Is that a knock on him? Absolutely not. I watched him play, I played against him over a dozen times in high school games. I watched every home game he ever played in. He is a good guy, a great collegiate player, but he will not be successful in the NBA. IMO

• ekute Layton, UT
    May 6, 2013 11:56 a.m.

I've said before that I was impressed by Brandon's play this year and gave him props for his return to the team. So I'm not hating on him. Milsap and Landry we're both dominant in college, Milsap lead the nation in rebounding. Brandon's future is in Europe.

• nhatch82 Eagle Mountain, UT
    May 6, 2013 11:42 a.m.

Lots of haters here. Everyone knows Brandon wont be a first round pick, and he won't be a dominant force in the league, but to say he has no chance to make it in the NBA is something that an uneducated basketball fan would say. He is talented player. He has better post moves than any big man I saw in college this year. He's undersized, that is true but Paul Milsap Carl Landry are undersized and they've made a career out of being an underdog. I am not saying he will be that good, but he has a legit shot at getting drafted and will for sure be picked up on a summer league if he doesn't get drafted. Maybe he makes a team and plays in the NBA for 3-4 years, maybe he gets cut and plays in the D-league or overseas. either way he will make alot more money than any one here. I know someone is going to come back and reply to this and say they make 4 mill a year....No you don't you live in your mother's basement eating cheetos all day long! Good Luck Brandon.

• ekute Layton, UT
    May 6, 2013 11:34 a.m.

Playing against WCC competition prepared him for the NBA and he has good footwork.

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    May 6, 2013 11:12 a.m.

@ Reasonable Ute...

Can you say "sour grapes"???

Pray tell, what school would have shown Davies more and better post moves??? What school would have given him a better showcase to shine from??? Utah ??? LOL.

Something about U fans that I find amazing is their unwillingness to do any homework, but instead throw out charges and accusations with NO FACTS to back them up...

You say that Brandon Davies disappeared against taller competition. Here are some facts:

Against Gonzaga and 7'0" Olynyk he scored 12 points and pulled down 11 boards with 3 assists against Olynyk's 19 points, 3 boards, and 2 Assists.

Against Baylor at Baylor and 7'1" Austin who will also go in the first round, He scored 26, pulled down 17 rebounds and had 3 assists while Austin had 14 points and 10 Rebounds...

Oh, and against Utah, he scored 11, pulled down 6 rebounds 1 assist and 3 blocks... Against your no name big man Bachynski's 7 points, 9 rebounds 2 assista and 1 block, oh, and 6 Turn Overs.

Davies is a 4, but he often went against the other team's 5 plus a double team... NBA scouts praised his foot work.

• Cougar Passion Salt Lake City, UT
    May 6, 2013 10:55 a.m.

I'm going to agree with BigCougar and poyman. Davies is, lamentably, not the guy to lead the team. He should have been this year, with Tyler Haws providing support rather than leadership just off his mission. But Davies is also entirely capable of drawing attention away from the main guy, as he did for Jimmer and as he did for Haws. For that, he may indeed be able to have a backup role in the NBA, and that is nothing to downplay by any means.

• Herbert Gravy Salinas, CA
    May 6, 2013 10:47 a.m.

@Don't Feed The Trolls:

And, your point is .......?

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    May 6, 2013 10:07 a.m.

Davies will go early 2nd round and he will make the roster...Byu's Hanson traveled the same path as Davies is traveling ... Not a lot of hype, a couple of great tourneys following his senior year and he was picked by the Hawks in the 2nd round and played 2 or 3 years with them...

Brandon is 6'9" and contrary to Dumprake's charge, the kid can jump, play defense and is as crafty as they come in the paint. He actually reminds me of a guy who played on a couple of Laker Championship Teams, hailed from Oregon State University, and stuck in the league for 14 years... His name was A C Greene. Write it down and look him up.

• DaveKnowsWhatsUp Bloomington, IN
    May 6, 2013 9:55 a.m.

The most frustrating thing about Davies was how he didn't ever seem to rise to his potential. I think he's a phenomenal player, with all the skill sets necessary. However, he often played soft, didn't attack the basket well, and seemed to disappear in important games. When he played hard and attacked, he was unstoppable, and I think he could do the same in the NBA; he just didn't do this consistently enough to convince me he's ready to go up against the best. Best of luck to him though.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    May 6, 2013 9:43 a.m.

@reasonableUTE - ". . . he is basically the same player he was in high school"

Are U kidding me? I didn't watch him in high school, but I've watched Brandon the last four years at BYU. His stats bare out that he is not the same player he was as a Freshman. Every one of his key stats has improved every year at BYU.

Brandon has a legit shot in the NBA. No, he's not the next Lebron or Kevin Durrant. But put him as a small forward, on the right team, and I can see him being a back up for a couple of years, and becoming a starter in a few years.

His progress at BYU tells me he has a lot more potential than what we've seen and he's stayed relatively healthy throughout his career.

And let's face it, BYU was a two man team most of the year. Opposing defesnses were focused on stopping Brandon and Tyler, and both got a lot of double teams. In the Portsmouth tournament, surrounded by four other good players, Brandon was a superstar!

• Gone fishin Murray, UT
    May 6, 2013 9:42 a.m.

We should all listen to Dumprake. I think that he is really Phil Jackson in disguise. His vast years of recruiting and coaching in the NBA should not be taken lightly. He knows more that all of the current talent scouts combined.

• reasonableUTE Provo, UT
    May 6, 2013 8:33 a.m.

If brandon davies had gone to another school, more known for developing it's big men, he might have been able to play in the NBA. As is now, he is basically the same player he was in high school, I played against him/ guarded him in high school. The post moves he possesses now are the same post moves he used in high school. I went to every BYU home game and I noticed that when he is playing against smaller competition, he plays big, and aggressive. When he plays against bigger, more rugged competition he disappears. He is not big enough, strong enough, athletic enough, or nasty enough to make it in the NBA. I'm sure he will make lots of money in basketball, just not in the NBA. I blame BYU for this. To me there is no question whether or not he will succeed in the NBA. IF he gets drafted, he'll fizzle out just like Jafa did from a few years back.

• Monk Pleasant Grove, UT
    May 6, 2013 8:28 a.m.

Davies might be able to find a place in the NBA. This year's draft class is very weak. Without much competition, he could be drafted. But, the likelihood that he will end up in Europe is just as high. There is no shame in that. Good luck, dude!

• Hey Baby Franklin, IN
    May 6, 2013 8:11 a.m.

I agree with Mildred...

• papi_chulo Ogden, UT
    May 6, 2013 8:04 a.m.

And all the know-it-all's come out in force talking about how bad this kid is....hey Utah fans...give it a rest. Just because Davies will make more money than all of you is no reason to bad mouth the kid. I'd love to see all of the negative commenters play him in a one-on-one game and we'll see who wins...how about that for a challenge.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    May 6, 2013 8:03 a.m.

He could be really high.

• thebigsamoan Richmond, VA
    May 6, 2013 7:37 a.m.

All Brandon had done was enhanced his chances for the NBA draft and already some of the know it all fans have written him off. Granted he may never be a great player on any team's roster but I wish people will give him the benefit of the doubt before he's castigated and dismissed as not draft worthy.

Here's wishing him the best and hope he proves his critics wrong!

Good luck Mr. Davies!

• IndeMak South Jordan, UT
    May 6, 2013 6:09 a.m.

First round pick? NBA worthy? Oh please! He is a European player at best.

• BigCougar Bountiful, UT
    May 6, 2013 1:25 a.m.

@sammyg
    "I just do not think he's big enough nor talented enough for the NBA. He was frustrating to watch in college because of his inconsistencies. How that translates to NBA talent is beyond my comprehension."

Don't worry sammyg, there are tons of frustratingly inconsistent players in the NBA, many who don't want to work hard either. I'm sure there's room for one more inconsistent player who is motivated to work hard at the table.

@dumprake
    "He wouldn't last five minutes in the NBA."

So what it sounds like is you're saying he definitely wouldn't last 5 minutes but he could last more than 5 minutes. I'm not sure why you arbitrarily picked 5 minutes as the tipping point. I'm pretty sure during the first practice the coach will talk to the players before practice for more than 5 minutes (pretty hard to get cut there) and then have the players do warm-up drills like lay-ups, shoot jumpers, run lines, etc for at least 30-45 minutes (pretty hard to get cut there)...

I think your bitterness is kinda showing through.

• BigCougar Bountiful, UT
    May 6, 2013 1:15 a.m.

@twoforflinching
    "I don't see him having much of an NBA career though."

I guess that depends on what the definition of having much of an NBA career is. By some standards Greg Kite didn't have much of an NBA career but if you look at it and what he was capable of, I'd say he had a pretty good NBA career. He won an NBA championship, played 10+ yrs and made some coin. He played a role on his teams and it was a valuable role.

I think Brandon has shown he's capable of doing that and even if his role at the next level is just being a role player I think that would be a pretty good NBA career.

• Supercool11 R-Valley, NV
    May 5, 2013 11:10 p.m.

BYU had a shot at the final four and beyond Jimmer's last year with Davies in the lineup. Davies has a good all around game and would be a solid role player on the right team. You won't see a lot of forwards who put up better numbers than he did. It looks like he's done enough to get a shot at the NBA combine and the summer league. Then teams will see how he stacks up.

• Don't Feed the Trolls Salt Lake City, UT
    May 5, 2013 9:59 p.m.

Davies will make more money in playing basketball than anyone commenting here will make in their lives.

• NevadaCoug Overton, NV
    May 5, 2013 9:16 p.m.

I don't think Davies will have a very successful career in the NBA either. But, as this article points out, his good play in the NIT and the pre-draft games has upped his chances of drawing that late 2nd round pick. There is no guarantee that he'll get there. Even the article points out there are tons of guys talented enough to make a run at those last few draft picks. All it is saying is that he has made the most of his opportunities to go from "no way he'll get drafted" to "having a chance to get drafted." And, who knows? Maybe he'll get a few years in the NBA as a bench player making pretty good money.

Good luck Mr. Davies. I hope your hard work pays off.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    May 5, 2013 8:16 p.m.

I have to agree with most of what dumprake has said.

I'm glad the Davies days at BYU are over. I wish him luck.

• Mildred in Fillmore Salt Lake City, UT
    May 5, 2013 8:12 p.m.

He should be a first round pick.

• Billy Budd Saint George, UT
    May 5, 2013 7:38 p.m.

The level of mugging and thugging needed to survive in the NBA (just watch the playoffs) is not a strong part of Brandon's game. Outside of that, he might just have a chance to make it.

• Little Andy Tremonton, UT
    May 5, 2013 7:09 p.m.

@dumprake: I guess that is why Brandon won MVP in Portland..

• UncleArtie Brigham City, UT
    May 5, 2013 6:55 p.m.

Davies has good low post moves. The Jazz should try to get him in the second round. Why? Because they need someone to teach low post moves to Favors, Kanter, and Evans. If Brandon were to last on the roster that would be good, too.

• The Rock Federal Way, WA
    May 5, 2013 5:26 p.m.

@ dumprake

Wow. I think that NBA scouts know a bit more about basketball than your or I. BYU always played better when Brandon was in the game. With Brandon on the roster BYU was poised to get to the final four and possibly take it all. He made that much difference.

I saw Davies out quick, shoot and defend many players from around the country. He was intimidating in the paint and altered many shots. He always drew a double team.

Not bad for a man who is "Not a Great Athlete", can't shoot, jump or defend.

My I be so cursed.

• dumprake Washington, UT
    May 5, 2013 5:07 p.m.

Davies is not a "great athlete." He's slow, can't jump, can't shoot, and can't defend. He wouldn't last five minutes in the NBA. I seriously doubt he will be drafted, but if is, he'll never make the roster, I don't care what team it is.

• DEW Cougars Sandy, UT
    May 5, 2013 3:04 p.m.

I don't believe Dave Rose would read on this comment section. How come Brandon Davies did very well in Non conferance regular season games, NIT, PIT and some others after this 2011 - 2013 WCC rugular and conferance tournament games? And Dave Rose said "BYU fit very well in WCC". We all know coaches and players are not allow to say anything about wcc referees. SMC is on probation and possilbe Zags going Catholic 7 league, should BYU move back with MWC to all sports accept Football? I say yes but what his name MWC Commish, MWC AD and Tom Holmoe are the one to decide. Will other big leauge going to call BYU which we all don't know anything.

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    May 5, 2013 2:40 p.m.

Davies is a great athlete, I don't see him having much of an NBA career though. But, I've been wrong before.

Best of luck Brandon.

• guitarboy South Jordan, UT
    May 5, 2013 2:38 p.m.

Great article. This answered some questions many of us have had, and now has added new facts. The Davies story was already a great story. What a great additional chapter that story is turning out to have!