Utah

Soccer league issued warning following attack on referee

Comments

• Howard Beal Provo, UT
    May 5, 2013 11:10 a.m.

I would say any school/school district or city/county facility is crazy to let any league compete on its field without a charter from an legitimate organization. Now with the tragic death of the official, his family will still face sizable medical bills. Who will take care of those bills? I am doubtful/fearful either his family or the victim's family will have the resources. Since this appears to be a rogue league, it is doubtful they would have any catastrophic insurance policy to help.

• cjb Bountiful, UT
    May 4, 2013 5:36 p.m.

The parents are not to blame. 17years old is plenty old enough that the one who did this accept the blame.

• xscribe Colorado Springs, CO
    May 4, 2013 5:08 p.m.

George: What does a couch have to do with anything? Was the kid sitting on a couch when this happened? Oh, maybe you mean "coach."

• Rational Salt Lake City, UT
    May 4, 2013 4:27 p.m.

They won't have to look far to find a judge when this kid goes to court -- adult or juvenile. There are plenty on here. (Very few grammarians, though.)

Best wishes to the Ref.

• anti-liar Salt Lake City, UT
    May 4, 2013 3:55 p.m.

@earthquakejake

"...I think it's logical to complain about cleaning up after a bunch of people but that shouldn't even be in the same article as the aggravated assault. I personally think that a human life is more important than trash."

Frankly, all of it is connected -- the trash, the criminal assault, and the fact that this is a rogue league that basically thumbs its nose at the duly sanctioned youth soccer leagues in the state of Utah: It bespeaks a general disrespect for the rules of society.

I wish the referee justice, and a full recovery.

• AZKID Mapleton, UT
    May 4, 2013 2:46 p.m.

The assault and the litter are definitely connected to each other. Is there a correlation between the caliber of person that would leave the mess with the caliber of person that would raise a child that has enough anger to potentially kill a human being with an angry sucker punch? I think that the answer is self evident. The apples don't fall far from the trees.

• Anti Bush-Obama Washington, DC
    May 4, 2013 1:03 p.m.

Better ban fists now. Gotta cut everybodys hands off so an attack like this won't happen in the future.

• Carson Provo, UT
    May 4, 2013 11:07 a.m.

Stop letting these kids off so easy! Charge him as an adult.

• runnerguy50 Virginia Beach, Va
    May 4, 2013 10:47 a.m.

The whole league should be folded. You would think the league would have the decency to at least raise money and offer prayers for the refreee. Instead they are going to hire cops ! Classy bunch aren't they ?

They league has trashed the school and a ref has been beaten half to death. Why do they get to use the fields ?

• fourfunsons Calgary, 00
    May 4, 2013 10:36 a.m.

Mugabe, GA: he didn't "loose his temple", he lost his temper. Made me smile, though.
    I've read of riots at soccer games in Europe. It's a game and this was in Utah, USA. What happened to playing a game being fun, even if you don't end up being on the winning team? You shake hands at the end. My thoughts and prayers are with Mr. Portillo and his family. I hope he will make a complete recovery. My prayers are also with the other family. Very sad for them, too. I hope this 17-yr old's loss of temper and his resulting attack does not end up as a charge of manslaughter.

• wrz Pheonix, AZ
    May 4, 2013 10:20 a.m.

Maybe refs should stand back a few yards from the player when issuing a yellow (or any other color) card just to be on the safe side. This would reduce the chance of a hot-head kid doing something he shouldn't as happened in this care.

• MoJules Florissant, MO
    May 4, 2013 9:53 a.m.

Are you kidding me??? I scanned through all the comments, every one addresses who's fault this is. But only two offered concern towards the victim and the family. I don't care at this moment who is to blame, I care that a man's life is concerned here and a family is going through heartbreak and turmoil. I am sorry for what they are going through and hope that they will be comforted at this time and that Mr Portillo will recover, thoughts and prayers are with him at this time.

• DonP Sainte Genevieve, MO
    May 4, 2013 9:47 a.m.

In Missouri 17-year-olds are considered adults for the purpose of criminal law and their names and charges are released to the news media.

• Beaver Native Garland, UT
    May 4, 2013 8:49 a.m.

I agree with the district, but am undecided about the expulsion. The fact that the field was trashed indicates deeper problems. The league needs to take some responsibility and control the crowd, or at least clean up afterwards. I lived next to a field where Latino teams played soccer every week and they never left a mess such as the one described. In addition, games were played with respect and dignity

Whether or not the team should have been expelled depends on whether or not there were underlying problems with the team, its staff or the parents of the players. The trashing of the field leads me to believe that there may have been more to the expulsion than was reported.

I would hope that in the expulsion of the team as a whole, the players not involved in the reasons for expulsion would be allowed to join other teams.

• Dr Rush Saint George, UT
    May 4, 2013 8:08 a.m.

Totally agree that putting in the article about trash clean up is ridiculous. We all hope that Mr Portillo can recover from his injury but the man who attacked him should be held responsible as an adult, I understand he's almost 18. And blaming his parents is as ridiculous as the trash comments.

• DN Subscriber 2 SLC, UT
    May 4, 2013 8:03 a.m.

This is not a trivial problem of bad behavior that a parent should have corrected long ago.

This is a vicious criminal assault, with what may turn out to be deadly force, and the clear intention to inflict bodily injury to the referee. It needs to be treated as such, and a 17 year old should be treated as an adult, not some poor juvenile who has gone astray.

Thoughts and prayers go out to the referee, who like all referees, was doing a mostly thankless and often criticized job so that others, especially the young players could have a good time. He is a true role model.

There are a lot of other questions that need to be asked and answered about the assailant, but political correctness demands they be postponed.

• Gildas LOGAN, UT
    May 4, 2013 7:32 a.m.

So it is the parents' fault and, of course, the police refuse to release the offender's name.
    So much for justice; if the boy had been one year older (or perhaps one day older) he would have been eighteen and an adult. If he had been an adult his name would have been all over the media on the mere suspicion of wrongdoing.

So much for justice here in the land of the free; make excuses for minors until they are hopelessly addicted to their own selfish acts and have come to expect that excuses will always be made for them.

Keep passing the buck to the parents even when you know nothing about the parents. Is it too much to grasp that a seventeen year old could knowingly do something wrong or lose his or her temper?

• RG Buena Vista, VA
    May 4, 2013 7:07 a.m.

I can understand why people are upset about trashing the field, but why expel the whole team (did I read this right??) for the offense of 1 player? I don't think it is as if the team encouraged their players to hit the refs. This sounds like North Korea, where, if one individual breaks the law the entire family is arrested (parents, grandparents, kids, siblings etc.)

• george of the jungle goshen, UT
    May 4, 2013 7:03 a.m.

The couch of the player assumed the responsibility, he also assumed that the players have some manners. To me the couch is who is the one that is in trouble for allowing that kind of behave-yer. Ya know what assume means.

• Mugabe ACWORTH, GA
    May 4, 2013 5:22 a.m.

People who loose their temple in a game of sports should not be allowed to ever participate again. This kind of behaviour is not unique to young players, but there are adults that behav e inappropriately in games of sports.

Soon that young man will be off to College, and probably on to professional sports, the next time, it may be another player that is met with violence from him.

We all need to learn that sports is just a game, it isn't the most important part of ours nor our childrens existence.

I say, ban him from any organized sports, and confine him to playing street sports, with other bad boys, who have disciplinary problems.

• FrankSegesman ,
    May 3, 2013 11:30 p.m.

So, one rotten apple and the entire field is getting shut down. Liberal logic at it's best....

• pocyUte Pocatello, ID
    May 3, 2013 11:02 p.m.

How do we know his parents didn't teach him that hitting someone was wrong? I know my children don't do anything I tell them not to do. This is a very sad situation. We rush to assign blame, based on a few sentences. We know 2 things: an innocent man was assaulted, and a 17 year old boy did it. Hopefully this man recovers, and the boy doesn't throw the remaining years of his life away through repeated bad decisions.

• earthquakejake Logan, UT
    May 3, 2013 8:34 p.m.

I agree with Helmock. This is the parent's responsibility that their teenage child didn't know it's wrong physically attack someone if you don't agree with them.

About the complaint, I think it's logical to complain about cleaning up after a bunch of people but that shouldn't even be in the same article as the aggravated assault. I personally think that a human life is more important than trash.

• Hemlock Salt Lake City, UT
    May 3, 2013 6:45 p.m.

This is a parent and child problem, not a soccer problem. There are times when an example is needed. This 17-year old and his parent's time has come. Issuing a warning is a bit late when a referee is in critical condition in the ICU from a sucker punch. It will be difficult for the lad to claim he didn't know it was against the rules to hit a referee in the head.