From 'Book of Mormon' musical to Mormon convert

• Daveverano Phoenix, AZ
    May 19, 2013 9:29 p.m.

A Scientist, perhaps you're right that more LDS might be tempted to watch South Park, than non-believers will become Mormons. But that is really not the point. I doubt any Mormons will leave their faith because they watch a cartoon that pokes fun at them. Yet already at least one person has become LDS because of South Park, or the play at least. And I can honestly tell you that I actually have a better view of Mormons after the South Park episode than I did before. Why? Even though they made fun of the story of the church, lets face it, every religions story has elements to it that can be laughed at by people who don't share that faith. However, they did portray the strong happy, healthy, family bonds and values of the LDS church.
    Judge for yourself, you can find links to the episode if you search for it. Remember it has some cursing and poking fun of the story, but overall positive on the Mormon family.

• John Pack Lambert of Michigan Ypsilanti, MI
    May 16, 2013 12:28 p.m.

Considering the play is anti-religion in tone, I would say that becoming a Catholic would also be a reaction that is reverse of what those who intend the play to be a teaching method would want.

I also wonder if some of the commentors that mock this reaction read the article. The play seems to actually in this case work as intended, as a viehcle to encorage mockery and derision. The failure is that when you cause people to attack a strawman if they encounter a real person on the other side they may no longer keep up the attacks.

• John Pack Lambert of Michigan Ypsilanti, MI
    May 16, 2013 12:21 p.m.

The discussion "why is she moving to Utah" brings up Elder Ellis' talk. some may say "yah, he said don't move to Utah." Actually, Elder Ellis said you need to go where the Lord wants you to go, and he will give you that direction. I am confident that if Sister Morong feels that the Lord is directing her to move to Utah she is making the right decision.

The revelations on these matters come from the Lord to each individual, and I will stand behind them in figuring out how to process these decisions. I definately will not claim to better understand the reasons than the person making them when I literally know nothing about the possible outcomes. In fact, this is why we need to follow the guidance of the Lord, he knows about outcomes we have no hint of, although he also allows us to work out our own course.

• John Pack Lambert of Michigan Ypsilanti, MI
    May 16, 2013 12:11 p.m.

For what it's worth "Boston Student Ward" is largely a misnomer. There are about 4 YSA type wards in greater Boston. The Church is well established there. Actually, I am surprised that people have not commented on the relative strengths of the Univeristy of Utah and Suffolk Univeristy drama programs. That may be the reason for the transfer. Or there may be other reasons. People often have very personal and specific reason for moving, and I will not fault them for it. The Lord will direct us to where we are most needed if we seek his gudiance. What is right for one person, will not be right for another. I am glad for the experiences I have had at Eastern Michgian Univeristy, Wayne State Univeristy and BYU, and I as much liked my small institute class at EMU as any religion class at BYU in their own way. Both of them offered chances to grow and help, although we had more direct chances to share the gospel with people who knew little of it at the EMU institute class.

May 16, 2013 10:53 a.m.

How do you know she didn't?

• Mormoncowboy Provo, Ut
    May 14, 2013 6:00 a.m.

Chris B -

You should take a look at South Park. They've gone to great length's to parody Mohamed. They've also taken stabs at Scientology.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    May 13, 2013 3:16 p.m.

I wonder what BH Roberts would have thought about the play. I'll be he would have liked it.

• Millsap fan Taylorsville, UT
    May 13, 2013 3:00 a.m.

a perfect example of God outsmarting satan. my natural instinct would be to shun this play and tell everyone it's pure evil. the church however, knew there was a better way.

• casual observer Salt Lake City, UT
    May 11, 2013 12:57 p.m.

"Edge and irreverent" are what the so-called anti-Muslim video was called by Hillary Clinton as she condemned it. Yet, she said she enjoyed BofM the musical.

• Wayne Rout El Paso, TX
    May 11, 2013 3:10 a.m.

I watched South Park for 3 or 4 minutes...that was enough for me forever. Our society is falling apart. It is good to hear something posiive. I hope she remains happy. She now has a roadmap to happiness, all she has to do is keep following the road.

• antodav TAMPA, FL
    May 8, 2013 12:23 p.m.

Thank you, Trey Parker and Matt Stone, for helping to bring more people into the faith that you love to so relentlessly ridicule. We couldn't appreciate it more. You're great missionaries, in your unorthodox sort of way. ;P

• A Scientist Provo, UT
    May 7, 2013 1:53 p.m.

Daveverano and skeptic make excellent points.

The Mormon Musical most likely converts more Mormons to South Park than Musical-goers to Mormonism.

• justmesal MOUNTAIN VIEW, WY
    May 7, 2013 10:23 a.m.

First off let me say that I am an avid true blue BYU fan and wish she had chosen the Y! But some of the comments like "That will be tough. Hope she can stay strong as both those departments share a lot of antipathy toward the Church." Talking about her chosen majors and University of Utah from 'Observenator'. Or "Anyone who assumes that because it is in Utah, the U will be an easy place to find or maintain a testimony is going to be sorely disappointedm" from 'Yorkshire,' may have forgotten That U of U can be referred to as "THE SCHOOL OF THE PROPHETS." Why you ask? Look at where most of the general authorities went to school. :)

• The Authority Richfield, UT
    May 7, 2013 9:22 a.m.

Well said JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmidt. I was really kind of upset when I heard about the musical, but the church's response was one of dignity and restraint, so I tried to follow the example. Find good where you can and add to it!

• JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmidt Beverly Hills, CA
    May 7, 2013 8:38 a.m.

Stories like this are yet another reason we as LDS/Mormons should take such satirical musicals such as this as an opportunity to separate fact from entertainment. Just because we do not agree with it does not mean we should never talk to those who have viewed it. We should be a friend to all.

• Daveverano Phoenix, AZ
    May 6, 2013 8:02 p.m.

Many of you have never watched South Park, as it can be crude, but it is extremely funny, with biting satire and deep points buried within. Yes, they goof on Mormons, but so do they on Catholics, Jews, Muslims. They rip atheists, gays, liberals and liberal causes. They make fun of permissive parents and overbearing parents. They make Osama Bin Laden into a caricature like Elmer Fudd and one of the South Park kids like Bugs Bunny, bashing Bin Laden with hammers, etc. They make fun of Satan, and put him in a gay relationship with Sadam Hussein, where Satan is ruled by Sadam. In that episode, they show life in Hell, and they show heaven and only Mormons are there (besides God of course.) And Catholics and Jews and Mormons and atheists and gays and almost every group out there takes it in stride... except Muslims (google "south park muslim death threats". So just saying that y'all are in good (and bad) company, and that LDS are not a particularly hard hit group compared to many targeted on this hilarious show. And seriously, I highly suggest you watch a few episodes to understand.

• BlueHusky Mission Viejo, CA
    May 6, 2013 11:18 a.m.

South Park, Book of Mormon (play), Mitt Romney. I guess its true that there is no such thing as bad publicity. Not sure I've heard of anyone converting because of Romney, though (joke).

• skeptic Phoenix, AZ
    May 6, 2013 8:54 a.m.

What about the other side of the coin, the play seems to have made one convert, but how many has it turned away from being attracted to the church. It is hard to see how the play would make anyone want to be a Mormon. It is good to be happy for Liz and wish her a happy life; perhaps the same should be said for those that the play drove to Catholicism and are now attending ND.

• iron&clay RIVERTON, UT
    May 6, 2013 8:40 a.m.

After listening to the song 'All American Prophet' from the play on internet, I was amazed that the play producers and writers would put themselves in the untenable position of just making things up about Joseph.

After all, the facts about eleven men signing their names as witnesses to both seeing and handling the gold plates has been in the preface to the book of Mormon for 183 years. Three of the eleven men also signed their names as to being in the presence of the Angel that presented the gold plates to them for their inspection and handling.

• BevWel Grants Pass, OR
    May 5, 2013 11:21 p.m.

Well, this story and the comments here have changed my mind about the play mentioned. I was appalled when I first read about it and saw some excerpts. I am happy that Liza saw it and looked further. Being a convert myself I can say the Church has been the greatest influence on my life that I have had. It has been 53 years since my baptism and I still love being LDS.

• USAlover Salt Lake City, UT
    May 5, 2013 10:20 p.m.

At the University of Utah, you may encounter more opposition to your Mormonism than in Boston. Stay strong. Stay true.

Your story is the same story as many of us, and made my day.

• kargirl Sacramento, CA
    May 5, 2013 4:14 p.m.

I do believe that God has a sense of humor (been to the zoo lately?) so it's not incredulous that Liza found the Church through a night at a play that spoofed the Book of Mormon. No doubt the actual people from the original book on the other side of the veil truly rejoiced in her story, even more so than she did. Rock on, my sister, you will inspire many more simply with your story, and by your very life.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    May 5, 2013 1:46 p.m.

You must not understand the world "publicity" if you think every comment on every article in every newspaper in the world is considered "publicity"

• The Scientist Provo, UT
    May 5, 2013 11:36 a.m.

If there is no such thing as bad publicity, why does everyone always give me grief for my comments?

• xert Santa Monica, CA
    May 5, 2013 9:27 a.m.

I know her story and understand completely. I used to dislike cats. But seeing Cats on Broadway made me want to sing and dance like the Rum Tum Tugger. I bought a furry costume and have been entertaining myself ever since.

• Ghost Writer GILBERT, AZ
    May 4, 2013 7:13 p.m.

As Parly P. Pratt used to say, "Truth will prevail!"

• AZKID Mapleton, UT
    May 4, 2013 3:01 p.m.

Congratulations to Elder Parker and Elder Stone on their latest convert baptism!!! Your finding methods are definitely unorthodox, but strangely successful!

• FT1/SS Virginia Beach, VA
    May 4, 2013 2:58 p.m.

@Lmorong, welcome to the church! Keep following those promptings and inspirations, they'll lead you to eternal life. I've shared your conversion story, very inspirational!

• Utes Fan Salt Lake City, UT
    May 4, 2013 10:27 a.m.

Welcome to the LDS Church and the University of Utah!

• Meadow Lark Mark IDAHO FALLS, ID
    May 4, 2013 9:25 a.m.

What a wonderful great story. And I enjoyed reading through most of the comments. Lisa I wish you the best. Remember that our testimony and conversion are highly personal things that each person must work on each day to maintain. There are many worldly factors that can attack anyone to destroy our faith. Each individual must work each day to maintain our own faith. As the scripture says we have to work out our own salvation. This is true. It is a challenge that I have to work on for myself each day. Blessings on you in your life.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    May 4, 2013 8:10 a.m.

So, how many people do you think are out there, at some place in their journey toward conversion, who have been motivated (prompted) onward because of this play? Could we stretch a little and ask if perhaps the authors were guided in their own right?

There are many things in our lives that we would deem to be bad, that God can turn for our good, if we will let Him. Thanks for letting Him!

• Esquire Springville, UT
    May 4, 2013 6:36 a.m.

Chris B, this has nothing to do with liberals, or conservatives. Nor with Islam. Please don't politicize everything, nor drag other religions in.

• Lightening Lad Austin , TX
    May 4, 2013 5:54 a.m.

Sweet story, maybe the philosophers are right any publicity whether negative or positive is good publicity. I won't see the musical as my tastes run differently towards mystery and drama, but I don't sence that it was cruel rather mocking and farsical. Too many bigots think they are being humorous when their intentions shine though. Such words are designed to denigrate and hurt not to exhaugerate something identified with one faith. Life seems to be more enjoyable when we value and respect others beliefs even if they seem insane to you. What happens between God and a single person reaching out to him, is private, we don't know or understand a spiritual witness unless we are the one asking. Regardless, respect first and always.

• BarkforSark PROVO, UT
    May 4, 2013 4:46 a.m.

Don Bugg, the writer only has so much space and ultimately her motivation for going to the U. is irrelevant to the story. It's a story about her conversion, not a detailed biography.

• earthquakejake Logan, UT
    May 4, 2013 3:40 a.m.

Awesome! Even cooler that the online missionary (which is funny to say) was able to baptizer her. What an awesome story!

• oddman ,
    May 4, 2013 2:56 a.m.

"Chris B" I only know you through your posts on BYU sports stories. I am afraid I had the wrong impression of you. Thank you for your observations posted above. I will read you with much more interest in the future. Sorry so many hammer you for your satirical, yet thoughtful comments.

• bw00ds Tucson, AZ
    May 4, 2013 12:37 a.m.

Just goes to show that there is no such thing as bad publicity for the church. It always results in baptisms. Happened to me personally in Colorado when the Denver Temple was built. The Denver Post ran (anti-Mormonism) stories starting on the front page for six days. One of my co-workers was curious and I ended up baptizing him. He's still a strong member today.

• FrankSegesman ,
    May 3, 2013 11:34 p.m.

Awesome! This is NOT the ending the South Park folks were hoping for.....

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    May 3, 2013 11:24 p.m.

"Anyone who assumes that because it is in Utah, the U will be an easy place to find or maintain a testimony is going to be sorely disappointed. "

There is a large LDS population on campus and a strong student ward/institute system. Having half of the U's student population be non-member really is not harmful to a testimony.

Welcome to the U!

• DC Alexandria, VA
    May 3, 2013 10:53 p.m.

Wow - Chris B, we might make a BYU fan out of you yet. :)

• Lmorong Boston, ME
    May 3, 2013 10:00 p.m.

Hello! This is Liza Morong!!! (as in the girl in the article!)

Thank you all for the comments. There is a link to my email on my blog (which is in this article) please email me if you have further questions.

I truly cannot thank you all enough for the beautifully uplifting words!

Also: I am going to the U because of a prompting I received from Heavenly Father. Believe me when I say leaving Boston is not exactly ideal for me but I know it's where The Lord needs me right now. See you all in August!!

• CA. reader Rocklin, CA
    May 3, 2013 9:43 p.m.

Remember this folks: there is no such thing as bad publicity, especially when it is paid for by others.

• NM Trish Bloomfield, NM
    May 3, 2013 9:34 p.m.

It was quite wonderful to read about Liza's conversion. I found myself grinning through the whole article! It's also exciting to hear of her plans for school. (Also, her mom sounds like a terrific lady!) It looks to me like she's enjoying a wonderful journey of discovery. Many kudos to Liza for listening to spiritual promptings and heading west to the University of Utah. Sometimes it's hard to tell in the middle of an adventure why you feel such strong impressions to do something, especially if you have naysayers who are also puzzled at your actions. But, given time and a change in perspective, you can usually look back and say "Aha! That's why I was supposed to move to Utah (or, fill in the blank)." May God bless you, Liza.

• Cougar Passion Salt Lake City, UT
    May 3, 2013 8:03 p.m.

I have seen on more than one occasion Chris B. be gracious and complimentary to Mormons, but when he (I am guessing Chris is male) comments on BYU articles--which he clearly reads more than I, a die-hard Cougar fan, do--his commentary is. . . how can I say it and make sure it gets past the censors. . . about as lacking in thoughtfulness as any I might imagine, and that is saying something considering the abysmal level of some who are preoccupied with anti-BYU sentiment. So, Chris, since I am guessing you will continue with this pattern, very sincerely, what gives? I am a BYU fan very much because of my religion, not in spite of it or unrelated to it. OK, they are not *quite* one and the same, but they are far more so than could possibly be the case for LDS who support schools not affiliated--and in many ways at odds with--the LDS Church.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    May 3, 2013 7:45 p.m.

"I would guess the two "South Park" authors who wrote this misguided play never saw that one coming."

I don't think they mind. The lesson in their Mormon episode of South Park was about being a good person being what really matters, regardless of what leads to that belief.

@Chris B
    "whereas without a doubt if a similar production was done on Islam, the liberals would scream "

Oh... don't worry... I don't need a musical to be done about Islam to see there is very obvious bigotry against muslims (besides the South Park guys did an episode that Comedy Central censored due to portraying Muhammad). Like say when someone brings Islam into unrelated topics just to attack that particular religion.

May 3, 2013 6:27 p.m.

I loved this article...Liza will love the U, I could not have choosen a more enlightened campus in the world...Liza: If you read this - Welcome to the Kingdom of God and to the U...you will love both!

• Californian#1@94131 San Francisco, CA
    May 3, 2013 5:02 p.m.

See, it's true--the book is always better than the show.

• zabivka Orem, UT
    May 3, 2013 4:29 p.m.

Perhaps the thing to keep in mind is that Matt Stone and Trey Parker, literally nothing is sacred. As a group of people, you can either choose to be offended by it, or take it as a slight compliment that the creators of South Park found your religion of enough notoriety that it gets its own Broadway play. They certainly didn't write a play about Congregationalists...

The tough thing to do in this case is to remind yourself that your sacred thing--beliefs or otherwise--is not necessarily sacred to someone else. We could try to require everyone to respect others' sacred things, but there are an awful lot of things held sacred out there. A better approach, in my opinion, is what we have in America--you don't have to respect anyone else's sacred thing, but you do have to respect their right to hold it sacred. There are too many competing sacred ideals to tiptoe around them all.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    May 3, 2013 4:02 p.m.

Good thing she didn't see 'Victor, Victoria', eh?

• SLMG Murtoa Australia, Victoria
    May 3, 2013 3:57 p.m.

Chris B

Salt Lake City, UT

I would encourage the South Park guys to create a satire on Muslims and their God.

Though not Mormon myself, I find it hypocritical of liberals to find this play funny and perfectly acceptable, whereas without a doubt if a similar production was done on Islam, the liberals would scream bigotry, and there likely would be death threats from the offended religion.

Mormons, thank you for overall being decent and non-violent people

I am an active Mormon and a liberal. I find this play not funny and perfectly unacceptable. I would find any play that makes light of anyones religion unacceptable. It is wrong to throw titles like Lideral & conservative around when this is not a political discusstion. Like myself there a members of the LDS Church that are conservative on some issues and liberal on others and yes, we all do try to be decent and non-violent people.

• Sego Lilly Salt Lake City, UT
    May 3, 2013 3:26 p.m.

@Don Bugg - having lived in the Boston Temple district the Boston Temple is not being used to its fullest. I have been there numerous times and they do have a history of canceling sessions because no one shows up to attend. They will have a session if only one man and one woman show up for the endowment session. Baptisms are easy to get done there but the rest of the ordinance work - make sure you bring a few friends to help out. The endowment sessions there start on the hour.

• rlsintx Plano, TX
    May 3, 2013 2:56 p.m.

Hope she has a good experience at the U and it's student wards. A lot of good LDS folks at the U too.

• Eastern girl New Haven, CT
    May 3, 2013 2:03 p.m.

@Don Bugg, yes, the Boston student ward is especially strong. (Or at least it was a few years ago when some friends attended.)

• eastcoastcoug Danbury, CT
    May 3, 2013 12:57 p.m.

Chris B,

Thanks for your gracious comments about Mormons. I hope we continue to live up to a higher standard. You know by now living in SLC that there are all kinds of Mormons and that the rivalry between the U and the Y is mostly among family and friends who love their own schools.

Enough niceties. GO COUGS!!!

• Lermentov PROVO, UT
    May 3, 2013 12:53 p.m.

In Russia we had one Vladimir who saw a translated episode of South Park irreverent to the Mormons and became curious. So he searched and found the Church on the internet and spent four months trying to get someone to visit him. The mission finally got the internet request and contacted him. He joined the Church and has since served a mission. A wonderful young man!

• Southernmiss kaysville, UT
    May 3, 2013 12:01 p.m.

Great story! Loved hearing about her conversion! My husband and I took our family to New York and surrounding sites the summer of 2011. We did not go to The Book of Mormon on Broadway, although I have watched it from a broadcast version. We took our family to The Hill Cumorah Pageant which is the REAL story! It was amazing! There were hundreds..if not thousands of people there who were non-members. I spoke to many of them who were there out of curiosity because of seeing the broadway play. I thought it was great that the play had piqued their curiosity enough to get them to the "real" story. We have friends (a family) of another faith who are now reading the Book of Mormon and taking the discussions because they were so intrigued with the play! It gave us the opportunity to have a dialogue with them about the truths and untruths included in the play.

If we look at the play or any other attention the LDS church gets as negative, then so will others. If we extract the positive from it, then so will others. It gives us the opportunity to clarify our beliefs.

• SLCWatch Salt Lake City, UT
    May 3, 2013 11:55 a.m.

Wow Chris B. that's sure pleasant to hear from you.
    Thank you from all the decent and non-violent posters on these pages.
    Why don't you have a great and peaceful day from us.
    (Avoid sports articles, it will help.)

• Go Utes Salt Lake City, UT
    May 3, 2013 11:53 a.m.

What a great story. Welcome to the LDS Church, Liza! You must be incredibly open minded to have taken the journey that you did to join the church. Congratulations as well for enrolling at the University of Utah. I believe it is the best LDS campus in the country. I had many great experiences on campus and at the LDS Institute. Enjoy your studies and your newfound membership in the church.

• Don Bugg Prince Frederick, MD
    May 3, 2013 11:42 a.m.

I know it. I Live it. I Love it: I appreciate your attempt to figure out why she's leaving Massachusetts for Utah, but I don't think your analogy holds up very well, just because the Church is very well established in Boston, including many wards and stakes full of faithful Latter-day Saints, and of course, a large and beautiful temple. I'm not saying her choice is bad, but I don't know what advantages it offers her.

• donn layton, UT
    May 3, 2013 10:57 a.m.

RE: I felt this peace that I have never felt before. I thought to myself, ‘That just came from God.’”
    Isaiah 26:3 You will keep in perfect peace those whose minds are steadfast, because they trust in you. Trust in the LORD(YHWH).

Faith is only as good as the object of that faith or As Jesus says in John 8;24 …. for unless you believe that I Am who I claim to be(God), you will die in your sins.” Ex 14 God said to Moses, “I am who I am… .

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    May 3, 2013 10:45 a.m.

Mormons, thank you for overall being decent and non-violent people

• I know it. I Live it. I Love it. Salt Lake City, UT
    May 3, 2013 10:34 a.m.

Don Bugg,

I can't speak for her, nor would I. But I imagine it may likely be the reason a lot of people do.

Imagine being the only person to like drawing. You love it. You more than love it! You've never met anyone who likes it. Then you suddenly discover a drawing academy in Eagle Mountain, Utah (random of course... lol)

You would probably have a lot of energy and enthusiasm in discovering this. You may even plan to move the very next day. Her career may be in communications or theater, but there is nothing more enthusiastic about our lives as there is in being in the church. I wouldn't compare Utah to some kind of Mecca, though the Temple probably could be on some level. But being surrounded by people who want the same things as you can be very motivating. I've only met a handful of people who want to go into the field I do. Only a small fraction of them have even been very proficient and dedicated to the field. Just as collaboration and teamwork can be enthusiastic, so can moving to Utah for plenty of members.

• MoJules Florissant, MO
    May 3, 2013 9:46 a.m.

Great story, still would never go see the play.

• JoeCapitalist2 Orem, UT
    May 3, 2013 9:35 a.m.

There are probably a lot of Christians of other denominations out there who are greatly offended (as we are) by the irreverent portrayal of Christianity in Monty Python's "The Life of Brian".

They realize how utterly false that movie is to basic Christian beliefs, yet they somehow think that the "Book of Mormon" play must somehow be an accurate portrayal of our church and its beliefs. If they went into that play with the same level of skepticism as they do to false representations about their own beliefs, then they might have a more open mind.

In any case, the play itself might spark some curiosity as it did with this young woman, so it can in fact, be a missionary tool in spite of itself.

• Melanie Alpine, UT
    May 3, 2013 9:31 a.m.

What a great article! It just made my whole day! You are a bright light, Liza, you will far outshine Broadway! Thanks for sharing your story and testimony!

• Yorkshire City, Ut
    May 3, 2013 9:24 a.m.

Liza-if you are reading this, take a note from eastcoastcoug and Observenator.

There will be both sides.

But if you know that going in, you will be able to see things for what they are....Good luck.

• Bernard GUi Puyallup, WA
    May 3, 2013 9:22 a.m.

Calling the musical edgy and irreverent is like calling Katrina a squall.

• Don Bugg Prince Frederick, MD
    May 3, 2013 9:15 a.m.

I'm curious to know why she has chosen to move to Utah and complete college there. I'm not faulting the author for not addressing it in greater depth, but I'm left wondering why she's decided that leaving Boston and her current university is the right thing for her.

• Observenator Salt Lake City, UT
    May 3, 2013 8:46 a.m.

"This fall, Morong, who is currently a sophomore, will begin classes at the University of Utah. She will declare a double major in musical theater and communication."

God bless you, Liza.

• eastcoastcoug Danbury, CT
    May 3, 2013 8:32 a.m.

Great story. I hope she has a great experience at the U. They have some awesome student wards there!!

• Hamath Omaha, NE
    May 3, 2013 7:52 a.m.

My parents lived in Eastern Russia in 1992. A mainstream TV preacher type came and insulted the Russian Orthodox Church. The Minister of Religion decided to aggressively take steps against proselytizing American based churches. He picked the Mormons first. At the time, there was maybe 5 members in the entire city where they lived (of several million people). Tons of anti-LDS literature flooded the area. Nothing could have helped the missionaries more. They literally just showed up at church on each day and taught the people that came, all day long. There is no such thing as bad publicity is the old saying. Not sure if it's always really true, but seems to apply in both situations.

• elarue NEW YORK, NY
    May 3, 2013 7:35 a.m.

When someone asked Matt and Trey if they thought members of the church would be offended by the musical, they said, "Nah, they'll be cool." And the questioner reiterated his concern that the musical would cause offense, and they reiterated, "No, really, they'll be cool." And see? That's exactly how it's worked out. :-D

• Cats Somewhere in Time, UT
    May 3, 2013 7:26 a.m.

This is a great story of how the spirit can overcome all kinds of challenges. It reminds me of those anti-mormon films, materials etc. that try to keep people from joining the Church and instead they bring people to the Church. God's work will not be stopped by Book of Mormon Musical or any other distortions or lies. I think we will see an explosion in new members as never before.

• SLCWatch Salt Lake City, UT
    May 3, 2013 7:25 a.m.

I would guess the two "South Park" authors who wrote this misguided play never saw that one coming. Congratulations to this young lady for following the Spirit and not the crude slant of this production. The Lord will find the pure in heart.