Utah

Scouts safe after spending night in slot canyons

Comments

• Cleetorn Fuaamotu, Tonga
    April 22, 2013 1:02 p.m.

Even with the best of intentions and preparations, sometimes things go wrong. Though it’s been a while since I have been a Boy Scout, I remember coming home bruised and bloodied from more than one camping trip. Both I and my compatriots survived. Years later, my dad told me he thought I might never live to be an adult. We had LOTS of fun.

This group probably could have gotten though their ordeal without the extra help but resources are available today that were not when I was a kid. It would be silly not to take advantage of them. I’m sure that valuable lessons were learned, new strategies were devised and greater bonds were cemented. Thank goodness there are scout leaders willing to take their charges on adventures beyond just a “safe” stroll in their own back yard.

• Floyd Johnson Broken Arrow, OK
    April 22, 2013 11:07 a.m.

What a wonderful experience for these boys! They will remember this trip the rest of their lives. It is unfortunate that the expense of the helicopter is involved, but I am glad that these leaders are volunteering their time to provide opportunities for these boys to develop.

• dugwaydog jackson, WY
    April 22, 2013 11:06 a.m.

Who's paying for the "helicopter evacuation"? Is Wayne Co. eating it?

• Tekakaromatagi Dammam, Saudi Arabia
    April 22, 2013 9:51 a.m.

The slot canyon paradox: "One navigates through a slot canyon using their best judgment. But if one had good judgment, then they would have stayed home."

Perhaps the Salt Lake City council should get some slot canyon experts together and have them go over which slot canyons are navigable based on the size of the group and experience level and come up with some hard rules, etc.

It may provide some guidance.

Better yet, go hiking in the Wasatch.

• Aggielove Cache county, USA
    April 22, 2013 8:08 a.m.

Scouting can be boring these days. So this adds some excitement.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    April 21, 2013 10:19 p.m.

“It’s for more experienced canyoneers,” Webster said. “It’s not necessarily a beginner’s canyon.”

Yet here were the scouts and their leaders. Fools go where angels fear to tread.

• TripleCrown Santa Ana, CA
    April 21, 2013 9:12 p.m.

Considering how dangerous slot canyons can be whenever there is rain anywhere upstream, these Scouts and their leader are fortunate that this story did not end in a tragedy. The sponsoring organization and Scout adult leadership at the Troop and Council level who approved this travel permit should carefully review their trip approval evaluation criteria.