Faith

Provo City Center Temple a feat of engineering, hard work and faith

Comments

• Allen#2 WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    May 31, 2013 8:54 a.m.

I am always amazed at the number of people who cannot tell the difference between inspired guidance by set apart Brethren in spiritual matters and the costly waste of precious, sacred, limited funds by employees in the church office building on rebuilding old, unstable, unsafe structures such as our old stake center.

• G L W8 SPRINGVILLE, UT
    April 23, 2013 4:20 a.m.

To those criticizing the temple on the basis of size and cost:

A couple of observations: I'm no engineer, but it looks to me like the
    footprint of the tabernacle is similar in size to several other mid-size temples.
    And with two stories below--why the complaints over the "small
    size"? As to the functionality, we haven't seen the plan of the
    interior yet, so why quibble?

Then, as to the cost: seems to me like some other people--and one of them a
    turncoat--complained about the cost of a certain container of ointment, saying the
    money should have been applied to benefit the poor. But the Savior felt otherwise.

• snowman Provo, UT
    April 22, 2013 9:46 p.m.

Allen#2: The only ones who make these kind of decisions are the "Brethren" who are called.

• Allen#2 WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    April 22, 2013 6:01 p.m.

snowman: Please don't confuse supporting the "Brethren" who are called, set apart, and sustained at ward conference, stake conferences, and every General Conference with disagreemnent with decisions made by church employees who are NOT called and set apart as spiritual leaders.

• snowman Provo, UT
    April 22, 2013 3:41 p.m.

that should say its not your place

• snowman Provo, UT
    April 22, 2013 12:30 p.m.

Allen#2: It is your place or your stake presidents place to tell the Church leaders what to do.

• Allen#2 WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    April 21, 2013 10:12 p.m.

Our stake president proposed building a new stake center in the "difficult to access" parking lot behing the old, energy in-efficient, poorly designed stake center and once completed, demolish the old, unsatisfactory building.

However, his wisdom was ignored and many $$$,$$$ were spent adding individual energy inefficient room air conditioner-heaters for all the classrooms, Primary room, Relief Society room, stake offices, bishop's and clerk offices, etc.

End result? We still have an inadequate, energy wasteful, poorly designed old building with difficult to access parking. This example of an ill advised renovation is the reason I feel it was not prudent use of church funds to build a new temple using the unsafe, unstable shell of the burned out Provo Tabernacle when a NEW Provo Temple could have been built using the same appearing exterior at a much lower cost.

• ParkerCoug12 Parker, CO
    April 21, 2013 6:46 p.m.

This talk about money reminds me of the Nauvoo Temple. A generous wealthy church member donated the money. This is likely the case for several of our temples. It is a worthy cause for our tithing funds, but I am sure some of the expense is being covered through specific temple donations as can be directed via our donation slips. Just a point to remember here- since if people want to help build temples, they can do it and have all such designated funds go that purpose.

• Rikitikitavi Cardston, Alberta
    April 20, 2013 8:37 a.m.

Just a few short weeks ago I raised my arm to sustain The First Presidency and the Quorum of the Twelve as Prophets, Seers, and Revelators as I participated in General Conference. My donations to the Church become consecrated funds to be used as determined by those same Brethren. I support the Brethren and by so doing I support the restoration of the Provo tabernacle to become a Temple.

• G L W8 SPRINGVILLE, UT
    April 20, 2013 7:14 a.m.

Good thing it's got the support structure holding it in place. Otherwise, we might be confusing it with the "Great and Spacious building", hovering in the air with no foundation! But even then, it would be difficult for people to enter it, severely tempted though they may be.

Looking forward to the temple's completion. Several of my ancestors would have attended the old "Utah Stake" conferences there.

• mhilton Lancaster, CA
    April 19, 2013 10:51 p.m.

One thing that we don't know, is if there has been a large private donation to help restore this building, which has happened in other cases. So, it may not be entirely church funds that are paying for this building. Whatever the case, and whatever my opinion about if it should have been done or not, I support the decision to build another temple in Provo. The Provo temple is far too overcrowded, being only one of very few temples that is open 6 days a week, to accommodate all those who wish to attend from the community, plus the missionaries and the BYU students. And, in agreement with an above comment, it will definitely enhance the look of downtown Provo.

• GFuller Mattoon, IL
    April 19, 2013 8:44 p.m.

What is said about money being spent on Temples is true about any money spent on any worthy cause and some not so worthy. If something is built, money is paid to workers for their time and skill. That money in turn is paid to others for food, and other needs. It circulates. It is never just piled up at a building site.

We should remember that when we may wish to complain about some level of government spending taxes on something we may not expect to benefit us.

• John Pack Lambert of Michigan Ypsilanti, MI
    April 19, 2013 7:47 p.m.

What is the value of preserving history? There is no easy answer to this question, but it is clear there are multiple opinions. Those involved felt that the benefits were worth the cost. There is a value to a historic building that you cannot get from building something new.

No action will please everyone. However there are some complainers who speak out of both sides of their mouth. I hope none here are guilty of it, but I can gaurantee if the Church had torn down the building there would be many people making an unending stink about it.

• Cats Somewhere in Time, UT
    April 19, 2013 5:48 p.m.

This is not your money or my money. This is the Lord's money and it will be spent in the way the Lord sees fit.

• CanuckFan Vancouver, BC
    April 19, 2013 4:53 p.m.

I visited the site during Conference. Breathtaking engineering...... can't believe how deep they have gone down and how the facade is just "floating in the air". And with underground parking, the public space above will be fabulous.

Provo is a bit of an "architectural disaster" downtown so hopefully this will spark the whole area to become less embarrassing to the city.

• Meg Stout ANNANDALE, VA
    April 19, 2013 4:11 p.m.

I'm glad to see they are preserving this historical building. As for the money, the only reason anything costs money is because people are getting paid. I don't imagine anyone is getting filthy rich off this job, so it's all good. It is rather fascinating to see it in the air like that. I presume the engineers have chosen this path with full acknowledgement of potential risks. I look forward to seeing how the project turns out by the projected 2015 completion date.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    April 19, 2013 2:51 p.m.

What a great engineering feat. Something like this probably hasn't been done before. It shows they are being blessed for it.

• CF Mom Sandy, UT
    April 19, 2013 12:01 p.m.

Whenever I see/hear comments about too much money being spent for a project, the new Provo temple, because that money should be better spent on this or that - it always makes me wonder. Look behind the curtain - what is that money actually being spent on? It's spent on wages for people building the temple, digging the basement, mixing & pouring concrete, installing wiring, heating/cooling systems; artisans who create the art, landscaping the grounds, painting walls, etc. Money purchases furniture, lockers, carpets, mirrors, doors, computers, etc. All of which have to be built. The church makes a point of local-sourcing as much as possible. After completion, The temple will need a continual stream of supplies also purchased in the community. Money is not just being piled onto the site and left as an offering. Every dollar creates a job for someone, helps support a family. In the photos, you don't see a row of chairs with anyone sitting there wishing the temple into existance, you see workers. The building of a temple brings a lot of money into a community that has a mulitlier effect during and after construction. The money IS helping people. ter comment

• snowman Provo, UT
    April 19, 2013 11:11 a.m.

Eliot: Doesnt matter how much it"s going to cost. It isn't taxpayer and unless you are LDS it's not your money that's paying for the construction

• gharmons Helendale, CA
    April 19, 2013 10:31 a.m.

When I was a BYU student, more than half a century ago, I often went to the Provo Tabernacle for stake conferences, concerts, and other events. My heart just broke when it burned. Now it is being "resurrected" to a more glorious state, just as our mortal bodies will be.

• ulvegaard Medical Lake, Washington
    April 19, 2013 9:25 a.m.

We may consider the issue of wasting money --- a term synonymous with government. The only difference being that when all is said and done and the deficit a hundred times greater, there is little to show for the money that was spent; and usually needed to be printed.

I like the comment made in the article and how this demonstrates that even after hardships and even destruction, all can be made better in the end. People struggling with the pitfalls of mortality can look to this temple and hopefully recognize that they too can be rebuilt and serve a greater purpose.

• Kay K USA, UT
    April 19, 2013 9:13 a.m.

ksampow & suzyk#1: Couldn't have said it better. Just want to add that the church knows how to handle the money that it has; the LDS church isn't wasting money. It is both helping those in need, and progressing the work of God. This soon-to-be temple will be worth all the work and money, and while it could have been done with less money, we need to remember that the history of this building is part of the churches history. I think its awesome! I've always loved that tabernacle, and was so sad when it started burning. I'm so grateful that our Heavenly Father revealed to President Monson that it is to be made into a temple. Happy day!

• Montana Mormon Miles City, MT
    April 19, 2013 9:08 a.m.

@andyjaggy and Allen#2:

When I find myself asking the same questions--and I certainly don't criticize you for asking those question--I re-read Section 120 of the Doctrine and Covenants. On the basis of that section, I then remind myself that I need to have faith and confidence that the 19 individuals identified in that section have given careful and thoughtful consideration to the very factors/concerns you have identified. That's my perspective....

• Eliot Santaquin, UT
    April 19, 2013 9:00 a.m.

I wonder why you think you would be roasted for your comment. Perhaps people might be sympathetic to your views if any of us knew what the costs of the construction project are and how much "extra" is being spent to preserve the tabernacle facade. Similar views were expressed when the church converted the old Hotel Utah into the Joseph Smith Memorial building and when they tore down the Deseret Gym to build the Conference Center. I don't think it is wrong or unusual to question why things are but maybe part of the problem is that we simply don't have all of the information that was used to make the decision.

• suzyk#1 Mount Pleasant, UT
    April 19, 2013 8:57 a.m.

This Temple is being built through absolute inspired guidance through the Lord. There will always be opinions to the opposite but I know as well as millions of others know it is the Lord's will it is being built the way it should be. They are not built to be compared..all of our Temples are beautiful edifices and are all built according to inspiration and needs of that area. No Temple will be less than that. It's the Lord's House.

• washcomom Beaverton, OR
    April 19, 2013 8:52 a.m.

Some people just don't understand the history of a building like the Tabernacle. They would rather raze it and start all over. The ones who built that building deserve some acknowledgement, for having built a great outbuilding. Yes, the insides were possibly not up to current code, but it also makes me wonder how overloaded the electrical system was in the first place, with the event that was to be filmed there.
    Whatever the case may be, I'm sure that every penny used has been used efficiently and thoughtfully. This is not a whim of a project.
    I'm looking forward to going to this temple someday.

• ksampow Farr West, Utah
    April 19, 2013 8:25 a.m.

andyjaggy:
    Preserving and honoring those who prepared the way for us is a worthwhile objective. And pinching pennies has never been the way to build temples. There are elaborate furnishings, decor, etc. worthy of a House of God.

• Allen#2 WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    April 19, 2013 8:20 a.m.

andyjaggy: Agree with you 100 %.

How many MILLIONS ( $$,$$$,$$$) extra will it cost to convert an unstable old shell into an in-efficient temple that will NOT have the capacity for patrons that the well designed 41 year old Provo Temple or 31 year old Jordan River Temple or even the more expensive, more elegant 18 year old Bountiful and Mt. Timpanogos Temples?

How will the cost of the relatively small Provo City Center Temple compare to the larger, modern Payson Temple?

• andyjaggy American Fork, UT
    April 19, 2013 8:04 a.m.

It's cool and a pretty amazing accomplishment.... but I can't help but feel it's a massive waste of money. I would rather have had them just tear the whole thing down and start from scratch, I am sure it would have been cheaper. Then you could use the rest of the money to, I don't know, help people or something...

I'll probably get roasted for this comment...

• george of the jungle goshen, UT
    April 19, 2013 6:42 a.m.

There was a time. The time when cloth was what held electric wires together in the wall and from the appliance to the wall. The firemen did checks inside homes to make sure that the homes was safe and teach people about how wires can turn the house into a toaster. Preventable maintenance. I wish that they did some before the fire.