Sports

Utah Jazz: 'Proud' team suffers stinging loss to end up-and-down season

Comments

• xert Santa Monica, CA
    April 19, 2013 10:20 a.m.

I agree that they are a "proud" team and that they know how to fight. It took them quite a while, however to learn how to take pride in their play on the road. I believe they might have come close to figuring that out in the last 10 road games of the season and at the point where Mo Williams took ownership of this team. I can surely understand the disappointment of Jazz fans--but if I could bring back Big Al, Paul Milsap, Kanter and Favors, I would do so in a heartbeat. Add Mo Williams, Gordan Hayward, Burks and Carroll and add a draft pick and a couple of scrubs to those eight and let's see what happens. More realistically, we will only see seven of those return, but as I am incredibly impressed with the growth of Kanter and Favors--I think it would be a disaster to blow this team up or lose this coach.

• ricecakes Murray, UT
    April 18, 2013 2:21 p.m.

Keep Big Al. Get rid of Harpring. I cannot listen to him one more game!!

• LAJazzFan Los Angeles, CA
    April 18, 2013 1:59 p.m.

I think BRuss is probably right. Al gets impressive baskets and plenty of points, but only easy rebounds. He is a liablity on the defensive end for everyone. His game completely stunts or nearly eliminates teammates' offense (unless you are shooting from the arc with a couple of seconds left if Al passes it back out after being double teamed).

I am looking forward to seeing how this team does without Al. The team could struggle for a year or two, but I am willing to put up with it if progress is made. The reality is that the Jazz can't really afford Al or Sap if even two of the "core 4" get big contracts.

• themailman provo, UT
    April 18, 2013 12:37 p.m.

I for one am sick and tired of the excuses and "reasons" behind the lack luster Jazz. The way i see it, it is a fairly simple solution. First of all we as fans have to get real. We are and always will be a small market team. We need to start looking at what we have done in the past, and what the other small market teams are doing now to be successful. One major difference from us and the other small market teams preparing for the playoffs is that they have a very key piece in the basketball puzzle that we do not. A leader. Go ahead look at them, Milwaukee, Indiana, Golden State, Denver, Houston, take even a place like Oklahoma! When the times get tough, when it all comes down to one possession, they have someone to turn to. Someone who put's it all on their shoulders. The perfect example i believe is Houston. A team that we are far superior than in all around athleticism and talent, but because of the swagger of one James Harden they are preparing for Saturday and we are not. Answer: we need a leader.

• pocyUte Pocatello, ID
    April 18, 2013 12:22 p.m.

I agree with those who question why this team would be considered proud. Egotisistical overpaid babies? Yes, in that sense I would use a derivative of "pride" to describe them, but that fits most every NBA player.

The NBA, and especially the Jazz continue to spiral into a completely unwatchable product.

• themailman provo, UT
    April 18, 2013 12:01 p.m.

I for one am sick of all the excuses and "reasons" for this team's continual lack luster performance. The way i see it, it is very simple. We as fans have to get real, we are a small market team. Take a gander around the league at the other small market teams who, unlike us, are preparing for the playoffs. Milwaukee, Indiana, Denver, Golden State, and Houston all have a few things in common. Sure they might have good coaching, they might have a bunch of "pieces," but i want to point out one thing that everyone seems to be forgetting. They have a leader. In clutch moments, when times are tough, they have a guy they can lean on. Somebody who can take over a game. The Jazz do not. The perfect example in my eyes is Houston. A team that is FAR LESS talented than the current roster we have, but because of the swagger of one James Harden they are a playoff threat. We need a franchise player. He doesn't have to be a 6 time all star, but with 10 free agents this summer...make it happen.

• ApacheNaiche PINETOP, AZ
    April 18, 2013 11:06 a.m.

Ty Corbin, Paul Milsap, Jamaal Tinsley, and Earl Watson need to move on.

• jazzfanjim Meridian, ID
    April 18, 2013 10:43 a.m.

good work men. proud of the fight. enjoyed the season of ups and downs. NOT!!! I did enjoy burks dunk, though!
    I love the Utah Jazz. My heart finds it difficult to keep feeling the ache year after year. I wonder how many of the right people actually heard what Bill Simmons said after the game on espn. probably none. they turned it off. embarrassment! i can replay it for any jazz brass that missed it. just hoping the front office can get it right this summer.

• Americanvet Ivins, UT
    April 18, 2013 10:43 a.m.

RE Marvin Williams
    I just mentioned we are stuck with him for next year and I have been the biggest Marvin Williams critic out here. That said, even I can see the guy is a physical specimen and if he could develop a Demarre Carroll work ethic he could make himself more valuable to the team. This is just another area where Corbin is lacking because he doesn't demand Marvin to do anything on the floor but stand around the 3 point line and clank balls off the rim and backboard. Corbin doesn't need to tell Carroll to keep working hard on the floor because that's just all part of his dna, but we need a coach that will demand Marvin pushes himself constantly on defense or else sit him on the bench. I really think if Marvin put in the same effort that Carroll does he could be worth his $7.5 as a back up player on the team.

• BTork WOODS CROSS, UT
    April 18, 2013 10:35 a.m.

I love the Jazz, but better to lose now, then get embarrassed by Oklahoma city in the first round.
    I hope they can find a solution to their Dr Jekyll and Mr. Hyde team. One night they are unstoppable, the next night they play worst than the worst team in the league.
    I look forward to the off-season to see what they do with all these free agents.

• Americanvet Ivins, UT
    April 18, 2013 10:24 a.m.

@B Russ
    Unfortunately, Marvin is not going anywhere. He has a player option for $7.5 million that he can stick the Jazz with for next season. If he chooses to not resign he will become a free agent and he knows that no other team is going to offer him that kind of money. The Jazz are stuck with Marvin for another year!

• B Russ Ephraim, UT
    April 18, 2013 9:51 a.m.

Big Al played good on offense if you like watching him hog all of the shot clock minutes while everyone else just stands around. On defense he was a no show and avoided any contact what so ever. Big Al is what is wrong with Paul Milsap and Gordon Hayward. They don't get a chance to be involved with the offense. Corbin, Big Al, Mo, Marvin, Earl and Foye all need to go. What we've had to watch this year is nothing close to Jazz basketball. Pathetic.

• Little Andy Tremonton, UT
    April 18, 2013 9:38 a.m.

Most of the words I have in mind would not make the post. I will use lackluster, and lazy.A game that meant this much to have one of the poorer performances of the season??But if it gets Corbin out of town it was worth it..

• DEW Sandy, UT
    April 18, 2013 9:27 a.m.

You think Gail Miller would sell her franchise by now. It never going to get better again or never was. John Stockton, Jeff H. and sometime Karl Malone were more dedicated than anyone on Larry Miller Arena. Sloan can't be here forever and Bobby was proud of him. Let New Orlean have them back where it came from as a JAZZ there. You guys are waisting your money and time spending on those players who never live or vacation here before.

• Ace Farmington, UT
    April 18, 2013 9:11 a.m.

Thank heavens it's over.

• Bill Shakespeare Salt Lake City, UT
    April 18, 2013 9:09 a.m.

Proud?

• Spider Rico Greeley, CO
    April 18, 2013 8:58 a.m.

Dump all the vets unless you can sign big Al. Play Hayward, Favors, Kanter, Carrol and Burks. Let them be our core and start over around them. Jazz cannot plug in a few journeymen and expect to be anything but 7-10 in the West with no hope of making a run. A couple of years losing with these young guys and drafting some studs would be the way to build a winning team. I would rather endure some fun losing building seasons with these young guys than see what we saw this year. Keep it real Jazz!

• Sneaky Jimmy Bay Area, CA
    April 18, 2013 8:34 a.m.

Too much Hype and not enough substance. I just don't see where the Jaxx can compete with playoff teams. At the beginning of the year I though making the playoffs was a forgone conclusion. Take a look at Golden State for an example of how to improve, it started with hiring Jerry West as a consultant then Mark Jackson (played with Jazz) as coach. They are making strides in the right direction. Denver is now an elite team with Jazz cast-off Kosta Koufous. What happened there? Jazz need a shake up.

• Americanvet Ivins, UT
    April 18, 2013 8:36 a.m.

This loss, and missing the playoffs should send a clear message to management that this group is NOT progressing towards excellence and spending a bunch of money to resign the same group of guys would be lunacy. I don't think Jazz fans are expecting a championship in the next few years but we want to see management making an effort to move the team back to being a contender. Favors, Kanter, Burks and Hayward make a nice young core to build around but they need to be the main guys and not sitting on the bench behind veterans that can't win games. Carroll and Evans deserve to be part of this team and add some special talents we need. I don't mind keeping Mo Williams but we need to address the point guard position for next year and let Mo play some 2 and back up at the point. We need a new coach Greg Miller! Corbin should have be an interim coach and not given a longer term contract. We need a coach that will teach tough defense.

• Pipes Salt Lake City, UT
    April 18, 2013 8:13 a.m.

What a bunch of under performers. Trade them all and let's start over.

• es4 Park City, UT
    April 18, 2013 8:03 a.m.

How wrong I was! Last year, even though we lost, I thought that the experience we gained in the playoffs would be valuable for our playoff "push" this year. How wrong I was! Better to have not made playoffs last year for draft. Very disgusted with "proud" bunch.

• Tyler Ray Taylorsville, UT
    April 18, 2013 7:46 a.m.

Marvin is a great guy off the court guy but he's simply terrible! He's done nothing for this team! Meanwhile Carroll is instant energy and better at rebounding and defense. Al showed the most heart last night. Mo plays like a chicken with his head cut off at times. I love Paul and all he's done for the Jazz but you can see he's done with this team. We need some big changes in the off-season.

• SlopJ30 St Louis, MO
    April 18, 2013 7:41 a.m.

Well, I always root for the Jazz, but I can't really be that upset over missing the playoffs this year. What was the best-case scenario; win a couple of games? This team is a bunch of good dudes but so-so (by NBA standards) players. Gordon should be our best perimeter guy, but he becomes oddly passive. Without developing a little more killer instinct, his ceiling is probably not-quite-all-star level. That's not a terrible ceiling, but if that's the best you've got you're not going anywhere.

Next year is a total mystery. One can only hope and pray the front office actually has a plan and can execute it. My fear is that we overpay a bunch of middling free agents to LT deals and settle in as a merely competent 40-50 win team for years. Yawn.

• Doug10 Roosevelt, UT
    April 18, 2013 7:36 a.m.

JBQ the management did not do a very good job. Early in the season it was obvious there were glaring holes so they did what at trade time?

They Kept Raja on hold so he could not play for another team...good job KOC I guess that is what the management needs to be remembered for this year. Little market little minds.

If I was a Jazz player I would think they are intereted in showing a past player who is right than getting the pieces to make the playoffs.

KOC and his new clone need to hit the streets.

There are 10 openings on the Jazz team and they could not fill one during the season. With management like this the only recruiting will be done at the high school level somewhere, players with ability will migrate to franchises where management shows ability, away from Utah.

KOC I imagine that Iverson would come and play here but after this poor showing even Ostertag will not come back here.

• Hugh G. Hater Swat Lake City, UT
    April 18, 2013 7:20 a.m.

Look at the box score my fellow fans. No one save AJ put in any effort.

GET OUT OF TOWN CORBIN. Playing Marvin Williams and benching Carroll. Are you joking?!

What a disastrous set of moves were made last off season. Lets hope they are not repeated.

• JBQ Saint Louis, MO
    April 18, 2013 5:55 a.m.

Indeed, "there is no joy in Mudville" with Casey striking out. I never thought that I would say this. AJ sort of grows on you. It looks like he has found his niche and the Jazz should do everything that they can to offer him a "restructured contract". However, there are others on the squad who need to "hit the road Jack and never come back no more, no more". The Lakers are now the seven seed. There was no way that TinselTown was going to keep the Lakers out of the playoffs. You do the math. The Lakers were squeaking by with Kobe, maybe the second best player in the history of the game. They lost the "Mamba" and they still squeak by. Humm! Actually, the Jazz were only a "Foil" to make the Lakers look good. I believe that Jazz Management did a very good job. I believe that the Millers got it right. However if Corbin is evaluated that he can't get it done, then they need a different approach. Favors, the "beast from the southeast", is already showing signs of restlessness. When his contract is done in two years, he also is done.

• genkidaiyo DUNCAN, SC
    April 18, 2013 5:46 a.m.

That was the worse game ever played by the Jazz!! It's like the Lakers paid them off. I am going on 40 years old and would have played with more passion and determination than all of the Jazz team!! They all sholuld quit trying to play the great game immediately!!

• cattle IDAHO FALLS, ID
    April 18, 2013 3:20 a.m.

No accountibility = Locker cleanout !!!!!

• one day... South Jordan, UT
    April 18, 2013 2:02 a.m.

"Proud" of what? I'm a true Jazz fan, but this! At work if I don't do my job, perform and get the nubers my boss need I will get a memo, after that if I don't do anything to change that I get fired, these guys get a more than decent paycheck for what? being a mediocre franchise.
    We pay for thosde tickets, t shirts, posters, food at the game, WE pay for a winning team, this is not for "just for fun".
    The Jazz needs to have a serious owner about making for real A BETTER TEAM, a WINNING TEAM and player that will be engaged with that process and plan.

I love the Jazz but, it is time to love the fans back by being better

• Sweater In Rafters Franklin, IN
    April 18, 2013 1:31 a.m.

Somewhere Sloan (while he doesn't smile) is doing his version of a smile!! And Larry must be flipping over in the grave...

To have a team so unprepared to have a playoff birth in sight and own your destiny only to allow a team so distressed as the Lakers come in and take it from you seems un-Jazz like...make that's un-Sloan-jazz like....

Missing his grit right now...

• Elcapitan Ivins, UT
    April 18, 2013 12:52 a.m.

A final road loss puncuates an end to a on and off season for this team, coach, and finally it's ownership. I wonder what Larry had to say about it all. Against the better teams our big came came up short and that was true with tonights game....they came up short. The agony is over.