Sports

BYU basketball: Cougars announce signing of SLCC's Skyler Halford

Comments

• Wiscougarfan River Falls, WI
    April 20, 2013 4:57 p.m.

RE: Utah'95

"Wiscougarfan. I'm curious. Who are the two or three players on BYU's football team that are better than Ziggy? Do you think any of them will be top 10 NFL draft picks when it's their turn to test the professional waters?"

This season Kyle Van Noy, Cody Hoffman, and possibly Brandon Ogletree were all better than Ziggy. No, I don't think any of them will be top 10 picks like Ziggy, his potential and upside is off the charts. Unfortunately Ogletree will probably not be drafted although I believe he deserves a shot and will probably get one as a free agent. Next year I think it's definitely possible that KVN and Hoffman both go in the first round but it's too early to tell.

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    April 20, 2013 9:54 a.m.

Utah95:
    I think what Wiscougarfan was trying to say is that players like Van Noy, Hoffman, and Ogltree had a bigger impact on the team's performance than Ziggy had, even though Ziggy's stock as an NFL prospect is much higher.

Back to the topic. It seems like Rose concentrates most of his recruiting efforts to the Utah area. Other recruits from SLCC haven't panned out. I agree that bigs are who we should be looking for right now.

I'm still a believer in Carlino, if he can just learn to stifle himself in games. Maybe a few sessions with a sports psychologist in the off season might help.?....

• Utah'95 FPO, AE
    April 19, 2013 1:40 p.m.

Wiscougarfan,

We'll see, won't we....

• bribri86 Phoenix, AZ
    April 19, 2013 12:20 p.m.

I appreciate your comments. So we should have a couple guys who can fight down low. I'm glad we do. I see many of the NCAA tourney teams playing and am amazed by how their bigs fight down low. Spreading out the defense with parameter players would help them, you're right. I guess I wasn't thinking about the bigger picture there.

Even so, I'm a bit concerned about next year, but then, I always anxious about games because I want the cougars to do well every year. Win or lose, I'll be watching them as often as ESPN and BYUtv allow!

• Mark321 Las Vegas, NV
    April 19, 2013 8:35 a.m.

@ brbri86

BYU does need big guys which they have coming in with Eric and Luke, but BYU also needs a 3rd scorer. Haws is consistent. Carlino is inconsistent but when he's on he's on. This kid looks good and can play the 2 or 3 opposite of whatever Haws plays. That should provide a lethal backcourt which will spread out defenses so that the big guys down low can make there moves. One thing I do like about Skyler besides the 46% shooting on the court is 90% from free throw line, we can definitely use that and it's better than Haws from the free throw line. Skyler will be good for us until Emery comes back from mission. GO Cougars!!!!

• 4601 Salt Lake City, UT
    April 18, 2013 8:09 p.m.

UTcountyute

I agree with you, I see a final four with the talent that the utes have assembled. The hill should be able to beat not just BYU but the OKC Thunder. We're also so happy that you attend football games and are a comfortable ute fan. That's really special. Please keep giving your opinions on BYU sports, we all think it so intelligent. BYU fans are lucky to have your masterful insights. Again, truly special.

• WON84 PLANO, TX
    April 18, 2013 4:26 p.m.

"
    worf

Mcallen, TX

utahcountyute:

You'll be waiting a long time."

Any longer than he waits for the next article on BYU to post?

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    April 18, 2013 4:14 p.m.

ucu
    ". . . the Utes are set up perfectly to beat the Cougs in the HC in Bball next year as well."

reasonableUTE
    "Utah's basketball program is on the rise, and BYU's will most certainly experience a decline next year."

How is this reasonable? Utah lost four of it's five most productive players. Yes, last year was better than the year before, but Utes have nobody to fill the missing stats of Washburn and Dubois. Next year will be 11 - 12 wins for the Utes. That's reasonable.

On the other hand, BYU started three Sophomores (truly a rebuilding year) and are returning their most productive player. Sure Davies is a loss, but Collinsworth will be much better than Zylstra; and Carlino, Haws, Austin, Sharp will all be improved. Cougs will finish 1st or 2nd in WCC and easily beat the Utes.

• Gone fishin Murray, UT
    April 18, 2013 4:03 p.m.

ucu,
    I guess it is OK to dream big but there is not way that BYU will be worse next year for for many years to come. They will be loaded with talent. Utah on the other hand will continue to struggle in both football and basketball. If the spring Utah FB game is any indication of what we will see this fall the Utes are in BIG trouble. BYU will win easily in football this year. They have all of the tools in place stomp the Utes big time.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    April 18, 2013 3:42 p.m.

utahcountyute:

You'll be waiting a long time.

• BigSkies Issaquah, WA
    April 18, 2013 3:35 p.m.

With all due respect, this looks like a photograph of a short, mid-30, average Joe in a L.A. Fitness pick-up game. Really, this is the future of BYU basketball?

• reasonableUTE Provo, UT
    April 18, 2013 1:29 p.m.

@ rockwell

just what do the mighty cougars have that the Utes aught to be jealous of? BYU's basketball team will be worse next year than this year. the football team will lose to the Utes again this year. I like BYU (I live in provo and go to all the home football and basketball games), but I am a very comfortable Utah fan. Utah's basketball program is on the rise, and BYU's will most certainly experience a decline next year. BYU will bounce back as they definitely have some good young players. If the Mika kid is anything like matt Austin BYU is in trouble. They don't need another flop happy softie on their squad. They need a real big man that doesn't shrink from contact (IE Chris Miles).

• Rockwell Baltimore, MD
    April 18, 2013 10:15 a.m.

ucu

"The Utes will beat the Cougs in football for the 4th year in a row and I think the Utes are set up perfectly to beat the Cougs in the HC in Bball next year as well."

Wishful thinking from the jealous kids on the hill.

• DEW Cougars Sandy, UT
    April 18, 2013 10:04 a.m.

Don't worry Dave Rose will keep in touch with Bronco M. to bring back B. Kafusi for the next three more years starting wcc season or at end of December. Glad to have Skyler in our program, welcome aboard.

• eastcoastcoug Danbury, CT
    April 18, 2013 9:50 a.m.

How exciting - another old white guy - he looks like he's 50!

• utahcountyute Cedar Hills, UT
    April 18, 2013 9:31 a.m.

Worf

I know that byU strives to be the University of Utah, but there can be only ONE and we ALL know that it sits on the HILL.

BTW... The Utes will beat the cougs in football for the 4th year in a row and I think the Utes are set up perfectly to beat the cougs in the HC in Bball next year as well.

Can't wait.

• Sneaky Jimmy Bay Area, CA
    April 18, 2013 8:38 a.m.

Probably a good addition. Carlino doesn't seem to be the answer.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    April 18, 2013 7:08 a.m.

I agree with Rose's decision to go after another guard versus height.

He have Mika and Worthington joining Sharp, Austin. Harward and Ambro fit into here also (although I'm not sure of their role). Next year we pick up 7' Isaac Nielsen, followed by Hartsock Jr the following year.

• alternate Salt Lake City, UT
    April 18, 2013 6:30 a.m.

Anyone else see Eric Mika play in 5A Tourney in Utah. He was a man among boys. Utah State also signed a talented big who led his team to the 4a title.

From the group of Mitka, Luke Washburn out of Wisconsin, and Nat Austin who had his best games in the NIT, BYU needs a strong inside presence to emerge. They also have one more spot they can fill. I am sure they are looking for a strong 4 or 5 position player.

Don't forget they also need consistent scoring from the wings and guards. Only Haws and sometimes Carlino delivered. The adding of Halford and the return of Kyle Collinsworth strengthen the outside shooting.

• Las Vegas Aggie Logan, Utah
    April 18, 2013 6:04 a.m.

Didn't this kid red shirt at Utah State after high school, his name is one I seem to remember?

• The Deuce Livermore, CA
    April 17, 2013 11:44 p.m.

To: NorCalCougarFan&Alum, Elk Grove, - you are absolutely correct. As I have looked at the recruiting class for Coach Rose, this is exactly what is missing from his new players. The Cougars need to bring big athletic players to the team. I don't see enough depth on this team either. While I do recognize that each of these players is a good player, it seems that the recruiting trips are too close to home to bring in a different type of player that you see on the top NCAA teams this last season.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    April 17, 2013 11:09 p.m.

NorCal...

Agreed. I'm waiting for a couple of big tall farm kids from Iowa, Nebraska or Kansas that can run up and down the court. There's got to be some kids out there to fill the order for big presence in the middle.

Davies just frustrated the heck out of me.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    April 17, 2013 11:06 p.m.

BYU basketball ranks second with victories in the passed eight years.

Football in the top five with wins the passed eight years.

I rest my case! --BYU is the University of Utah. Period!

• NorCalCougarFan&Alum Elk Grove, CA
    April 17, 2013 9:45 p.m.

The Cougars not only need height, but height with muscle. One thing I observed about the teams who made it to the Elite Eight and better of the NCAA tournament was that they were extremely athletic, tall, and ripped. After seeing the Cougars play in San Francisco, Santa Clara, and Moraga was that the BYU players need to hit the weights harder during the off season. Davies, Sharp, and Austin didn't have enough muscle for big men.

• Wiscougarfan River Falls, WI
    April 17, 2013 8:00 p.m.

Why it's great to be a Cougarfan right now...

1. Just scored another great player to the best ever recruiting class in byu baskeball history, where the top two basketball recruits just completed a high school national championship and are among the top 50 recruits in the country.
    2. The football program recently inked another good 1-1-1 where the neutral game will be played in an NFL stadium.
    3. This season's second best basketball player was the MVP of the national Portsmouth invitational tournament, boosting his chances of getting drafted into the NBA.
    4. The third or fourth best football player on this season's team is being projected as a top 10 NFL pick (most now have him in the top five).
    5. Our volleyball team is ranked #1 in the country going into postseason play.
    6. Our rugby team is the #1 seed at the Varsity Cup National Collegiate Rugby Championship (and is not facing university imposed sanctions).

Yes, it's a great time to be a Cougar.

• bribri86 Phoenix, AZ
    April 17, 2013 6:05 p.m.

I thought BYU needed some height, not guards. I think Eric Mika is the only guy who has height, and he's a freshman. Correct me if I'm wrong, does BYU have some height next season?