Sports

Despite some fans' protests, BYU football and Friday night a winning combination

Comments

• Kralon HUNTINGTON BEACH, CA
    April 20, 2013 1:56 p.m.

Naval Vet
    "Really? How many times do you need to be told this. This question had already been asked and answered. We're losing more games because we've been playing a substantially more challenging schedule...

Had Utah been playing as many weak-WAC teams as you guys had, we'd have finished with a better record."

Well the final Sagarin rankings, which take into account strength of schedule, show BYU at 26 and Utah at 61. Utah played a slightly tougher schedule (Sagarin SOS of 71.27 while BYU had an SOS of 69.48), yet did very poorly and MIGHT have done better with BYU's schedule, but not better than BYU did. Asked and Answered!

• LouisD Las Vegas, NV
    April 20, 2013 9:21 a.m.

I like Thursday and Friday night games. BYU fans should buck up. With ESPN being carried and expanded further overseas every year, and BYUtv exposure worldwide on the net, BYU has a chance to become th American College Football Team that gets top billing throughout the world. We all thought that would be Notre Dame 2 decades ago, but no...it will be BYU. The exposure may also eventually lead to greater growth for the church, for football in general and of course, ESPN will make bank because of it.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    April 20, 2013 7:04 a.m.

poyman
    Lincoln City, OR

"Why do you think that ND, Ohio State, Nebraska, Michigan, etc. don't play on any day/night except Saturday??? I've always said, if you want to be regarded as a Major, act like one."

How do you think Boise vaulted from little more than community college to "major" virtually over-night? While we were stuck in MWC television black hole, but only playing on Saturdays like the "Majors", ESPN was making BOISE a household name.

Make no mistake, winning big games and doing so in dramatic fashion was a key contributor, but if your dramatic victory isn't televised, did it really happen?

I would rather be nationally televised on Thursday or Friday night than be un-televised on Saturday afternoon.

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    April 20, 2013 6:27 a.m.

@ poy

I could literally write a novel in response to your comment. However, I'll leave it at just simply stating the blatantly obvious--

byu's relentless pursuit of 2-Star recruits, alone, straight guarantees byu's spot squarely in utter mediocrity....This, combined w/a gradual "escalation in" in Strength-of-Schedule, as well bm remaining as their HC, translates into more of the same in securing their annual loss to UTAH, rarely ever defeating a good team, never even remotely securing an invitation to a prestigious bowl game, nor earning undefeated seasons/BCS Bowling, winning BCS Bowl games, finishing top-2/-4 ranked., etc.

Check it out, byu has benefited over the years, record-wise, from exceedingly wealk schedules....Look no further than the single most Mythical season in their history, '84, when byu's SOS ranked an astonishing 3rd weakest nationally,, finishing ranked #96 out of 98 total D1 schools.

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    April 19, 2013 12:56 p.m.

I love BYU Football... It's exciting and fun to watch... I have always believed that we should do whatever we can (shy of Sunday Games) to gain entry into a major Conference (i.e. Big 12 or even the Left controlled PAC 12) but lately I have become somewhat accustomed to Independence... BUT, some of the moves that the school makes seems to be contrary to what it claims that it wants to be...

I am specifically speaking about exposure for potential recruits and a stated desire to play and compete with other top programs in the country... In my mind, playing on week nights doesn't do that... It seems more like High School Football rather than Major College Football... And I believe many top recruits think and feel that way as well... If our desire is to schedule top programs on a consistent basis, BYU needs to stop acting like Lone Peak HS and more like a Major College Program... Why do you think that ND, Ohio State, Nebraska, Michigan, etc. don't play on any day/night except Saturday??? I've always said, if you want to be regarded as a Major, act like one.

• truecoug1 Provo, UT
    April 18, 2013 8:36 p.m.

@WON84

My bad, bro. Since U were taking Howard S.'s side and saying that the numbers backed him up (when they don't), I just assumed that U were trolling with Howard.

The whole issue with recruiting is that it is completely subjective. A lot of kids get ranked based in large part by the number of camps they go to and the exposure that they get to scouts at those camps. Other players have their star ranking improve based upon the number of offers, and the schools that offer them.

It's definitely not an exact science. But my original point was to show that BYU definitely has NOT had their worst recruiting classes since going independent.

Also, ESPN has definitely helped with recruiting. Fred Warner, a recent OLB commit, talked about watching KVN on ESPN and how he wanted to be the "heir apparent", so to speak. Brayden Kearsley, Trent Trammell, Trajan Pili, and others have all stated ESPN as being a part of what brought them to BYU.

So it definitely has helped with recruiting. Don't let these trolls fool ya :)

Go Cougars!

• WON84 PLANO, TX
    April 18, 2013 4:23 p.m.

truecoug1 - Why on earth would I care what Utah's classes have been ranked and why that has any correlation with the type of season they're going to have? You're starting to sound like the BYU-fan version of Naval.

BYU fans should be worried about BYU, and I'll remain worried about BYU and Texas...though I don't really have to worry as much with the latter...

• agb Layton, UT
    April 18, 2013 4:22 p.m.

Striker:

There are actually 2 files: one filed under "frantic" and a backup filed under "emotional."

• sls Columbia, MO
    April 18, 2013 7:54 a.m.

@Two for Flinching

No evidence that either of the belief statements posted is true. Besides, it would be absurd to think that the benefits of exposure would be realized in a single year or even after two.

Here in Missouri (formerly Big 12 country and now SEC land) the profile of BYU has risen considerably and people now talk about the Cougars again, after being hidden in the Mountain West for years.

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    April 18, 2013 2:56 a.m.

@ sls

BYU has one player in their latest recruiting class from back East. An OL from Indiana. Every other player is from a Western state. Utah doesn't have any from back East, but there are seven players from Texas.... I do not believe BYU playing on ESPN has given BYU any noticeable boost in recruiting. Being in the PAC has absolutely helped Utah though...

• sls Columbia, MO
    April 17, 2013 9:31 p.m.

Nobody in the eastern half of the country watches the PAC12 network. When the games are picked up by Fox, they cut away half of the time for some other program. BYU made a really smart move to hook up with ESPN. They will continue to be able to recruit in the east.

Meanwhile, the utes will recruit in Fresno.

• Madden Herriman, UT
    April 17, 2013 5:07 p.m.

A better question is why Sept. 27 is a Middle Tennessee State game. I thought September was the easy month to schedule for good teams, and November would be the filler games as the conference games are in full swing for most.

I dislike Friday night games. It is date night, HS football, a travel night...not a night for college football.

• Striker Omaha, NE
    April 17, 2013 4:21 p.m.

"I just keep a file of all my posts"

I haven't laughed so hard in a long time!

• truecoug1 Provo, UT
    April 17, 2013 4:02 p.m.

@NavalVet and AZUte

While it is flattering that U use beating your big brother BYU as your metric of success, let's be honest here: the whole talk about "BYU can't beat Utah" or "Utah dominates BYU" is bogus. I got back from my mission in time to watch Max Hall to Andrew George in OT at LES. BYU had just taken 3 out of 4 rivalry games and yet all BYU fans heard was how BYU wasn't the better team, or that we just got lucky in all of our wins.

Kind of interesting to see the reverse happening. I have no problem with the scoreboard talk, since U have it.

But "dominating"? Spare me. It took four flukes in 2010 for Utah to eke out a win against one of the worst BYU teams in recent memory (a game that BYU pretty well dominated). 2011 was the perfect train wreck, with Utah capitalizing on every BYU mistake (hats off to U, tough to watch). Last year, BYU outscored Utah 21-17 (while basically playing 15 minutes of good football) and yet lost because of a botched snap and recovery that turned into Utah's winning points.

"Dominating"? Hardly. Scoreboard? Absolutely.

• truecoug1 Provo, UT
    April 17, 2013 3:53 p.m.

@WON84 and Howie

I posted this on a separate article, but I feel that it bears repeating here:

"What U SHOULD be concerned with is that in the past four years, Utah has had 4 of its best recruiting classes in the past decade, and yet in each of the past four years, Utah has finished worse in record and/or ranking than the year prior.

Utah
    2009-2010: Finished 10-3, ranked 24 in Sagarin. 2009 Recruiting Ranking (per Rivals): #44
    2010-2011: Finished 10-3, ranked 26 in Sagarin. 2010 Recruiting Ranking (per Rivals): #32
    2011-2012: Finished 8-5, ranked 39 in Sagarin. 2011 Recruiting Ranking (per Rivals): #37
    2012-2013: Finished 5-7, ranked 61 in Sagarin. 2012 Recruiting Ranking (per Rivals): #28.

So coming off of your best recruiting class of the last four year, U had the worst record and ranking. Not a good trend for Utah.

This year (2013), U had a recruiting class ranked #44 (per Rivals). I wonder what will happen? My guess: 4-8.

Go Cougars!"

• truecoug1 Provo, UT
    April 17, 2013 3:49 p.m.

@WON84 "I only stated that the last two recruiting classes BYU have had have been amongst the worst I can recall and the numbers back it up."

No they don't. Cougars1 posted on a different article all of the recruiting rankings that BYU has had since 2002 (all according to Rivals, every Ute fan's favorite recruiting database). Here's a summary of that information:

BYU's recruiting classes since going independent: 2011: 61. 2012: 62. 2013: 70.

From 2002-2013, BYU's average recruiting ranking was a 63. From 2002-2010 (the MWC years, or before the independent announcement), the average ranking was also a 63.

So to sum up, since going independent BYU has had two classes that were slightly above average, and one that was slightly below.

Kind of throws your comment out the window, doesn't it?

Go Cougars!

• truecoug1 Provo, UT
    April 17, 2013 3:42 p.m.

@NavalVet "I know the moderators' have a tendency to be arbitrary about which posts will be published vs. which will be deleted, so I JUST KEEP A FILE OF ALL MY POSTS, and keep reposting the ones that had been censored..." (emphasis added).

I really hope that that comment was 'tongue-in-cheek' because if not, that's the most pathetic/hilarious thing I think I've ever read.

U keep a FILE of all of your posts? Wow...I think we just got the answer to the question "Does NavalVet have a life outside of trolling BYU articles?"

Go Cougars!

April 17, 2013 2:38 p.m.

Naval,

I just had a good laugh. Thanks. This morning I responded to a post by Howard which was denied and when I went back to read his comment again, the moderator had deleted it. Now I know why. Different moderator.

• WON84 PLANO, TX
    April 17, 2013 2:04 p.m.

Cougars1 - Panic? For real? I only stated that the last two recruiting classes BYU have had have been amongst the worst I can recall and the numbers back it up. I also said this may or may not have anything to do with independence. Your response is actually more indicative of a panicking fan.

Naval - Why are you begging BYU fans for validation? Does the rest of the PAC not pay you any attention?

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    April 17, 2013 1:34 p.m.

Cougars1:

My last 2 replies were posted yesterday, but censored by the moderators. I know the moderators' have a tendency to be arbitrary about which posts will be published vs. which will be deleted, so I just keep a file of all my posts, and keep reposting the ones that had been censored until the "offended moderator" turns his shift over to a less sensitive one.

April 17, 2013 1:21 p.m.

Relax Naval.Do you selectively read through the posts? Why don't you go back and read through them again. You might actually see that I was only trying to make a point to AZUTE. You and devlish need to come down off the caffeine high and realize that I don't agree with making excuses for injuries. How many times do I have to tell you guys that Utah deserved to win and was the better team in all of their wins? Wouldn't want anyone in the hospital from a heart-attack.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    April 17, 2013 12:38 p.m.

Cougar1:

Here's ANOTHER alternate universe scenerio...

If Utah didn't ALSO lose our starters at RB, SS, and FS for that game, we would have routed little brother AGAIN! That's right! Utah STARTED that game short 4 first stringers, yet despite being substantially shorthanded, STILL triumphed.

So enough with the "if" statements. Utah is simply just the better team.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    April 17, 2013 12:37 p.m.

Cougar1:

"...speaking of key injuries, from what I saw of the game, if BYU has a healthy qb in the game, it's a win."

The Y had a healthy QB in the game back in 2010 and 2011, and that didn't make any difference. In fact, the cougss had a healthy QB in the 2008 and 2009 games as well, and the only win you guys took was a 3-pt O/T victory, at Home, while playing with a Senior, 3-yr starter at QB, vs. Utah starting a TRUE Freshman starting his 5th collegiate game ever.

How's THIS for an alternate universe "if" scenerio?

If UTAH had a healthy QB in the game, it's an even BIGGER win. That's right! Utah's starter - Jordan Wynn - had his season cut short with another shoulder injury at Utah St. the week before. You guys faced the backup, who wound up losing his position to a TRUE Freshman shortly thereafter.

• Eddie Syracuse, UT
    April 17, 2013 11:56 a.m.

As if "IF", "could have", "should have" and "would have" does not exsist in ute language! How about when it came down to finishing "high" in the PAC 12 south, the mighty u loses to ........wait for it......CU ! ! ! Talk about IF.

• sid 6.7 Holladay, UT
    April 17, 2013 11:55 a.m.

Did I just read this article right? Doesn't it basically say that if given the choice people would rather watch another game over a BYU game? Play BYU on Friday so there is no competition on the other channels. I'm just sayin.

You guys keep taking the dudes that want to be on ESPN2 and we will keep taking the guys that want to win a National Championship.

Ready.... Break!

• Cougars1 Bluffdale, UT
    April 17, 2013 11:20 a.m.

"If" is the BYU fan's favorite word. Followed by "could have," "should have," and "would have."

By the way Devlish, you may want to go back and check your own posts before accusing someone of being narrow minded.

April 17, 2013 9:20 a.m.

Devlish,

I would never accuse you of using any excuses for a loss if you haven't. I was only explaining why I did in that one post. I actually agree with you and give Utah full credit for their wins. I was only trying to make a point to AZUTE. I apologize if you misunderstood.

• DevilishUte Tempe, AZ
    April 17, 2013 9:06 a.m.

"I have and had accepted it. You can thank AZUTE for giving me that excuse as it was his excuse in the first place as to why Utah has been so pathetic in the PAC. Hence my wording "speaking of key injuries"."

Please point to an article or comment in which I have used injuries as an excuse for performance on the field. Assuming that I think and act like all Utah fans is very narrow-minded, my friend.

April 17, 2013 9:09 a.m.

Naval,

I didn't say anything about Ol Miss and Texas being on the big screens. I simply pointed out that those were the only 2 game you could have watched at the Stadium Grille from the 2011 season. Nice try.

Won84,
    I have given several reason as to why the recruiting classes have dropped. Including losing big games on ESPN. There are a lot of reasons, but I don't think Independence is one other than BYU played a pathetic schedule in 2011 because it was year 1 of Independence. Feel free to panic though.

2BCSWINS,
    I make no excuses and always give Utah full credit for wins; other than when I am proving a point to AZUTE and Devlish. you should read the whole thread before posting.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    April 17, 2013 8:58 a.m.

2BCSWINS:

"Out of their entire history the Y was the better team/program from about 78 - 93."

Not in 1993. That was when we reclaimed the honor of being the best program in the state. Since 1993, Utah had gone 13-7 (.650) vs. little brother. The cougars' era was from '72-'92. Before and after that era, it was all Utah.

• 2BCSWINS West of I15, UT
    April 17, 2013 8:39 a.m.

@my two dad's..."I'm more curious why the U has had better recruiting classes, and more kids go to the NFL, and yet their seasons have been heading south faster than the Canadian Snow Birds."

If you truly know the game of football and have common knowledge of college football. You would know the answer to your question is that Utah plays a much more difficult schedule and deals with the week in week out grind of playing top level PAC12 talent. The Y on the other hand pads their W's and getting to kraft mac and cheese bowl based off beating bad teams. When Bronco is faced with playing bad teams he is a great coach, when faced with playing a good team he is exposed for exactly how good of a coach he is. I'll let you answer that on your own.

At cougie 1 really stop making excuses suck it up and admit Utah owns the cougies has for a very long time now and definitley owns them all time. Out of their entire history the Y was the better team/program from about 78 - 93.

• WON84 PLANO, TX
    April 17, 2013 8:33 a.m.

Cougars1 - The numbers backup what Howard is saying. BYU's last two recruiting classes have been two of the worst they've had that I can recall. I don't know that Independence is the reason for this but, it's not crazy to suggest the exposure really hasn't helped recruiting.

Naval - Why are you here? Is it because almost no one posts on articles about Utah?

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    April 17, 2013 8:34 a.m.

Cougars1:

"The Stadium Grille closed both locations on Sept.13, 2011. So the only game you got to see were Ol Miss and Texas. You would have missed Utah as it was on the 17th."

Yeah, I know when it closed. What's your point? There's no loss of credibility on my part, but there appears to be one on yours. The Ole Miss and Texas games were not on the big screens. You guys always seem forget that just because a game in on ESPN, that doesn't mean people are watching. There were better games.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    April 17, 2013 8:14 a.m.

Striker:

"Weren't many of those on the mtn for years? If you were in PA, how did you see so many games? The mtn isn't on the East coast."

Yes, they were during our MWC years (2007-2010), but you are mistaken about "the Mtn." not being on the East coast. Furthermore, MWC teams didn't play solely on "the Mtn." MWC teams had also played on Versus, FOX Sports, and CBSSports. Addtionally, MWC teams played on ABC/ESPN and NBC via their opponents network deals. I saw PLENTY of Utah games here in Philadelphia.

• Howard S. Taylorsville, UT
    April 16, 2013 10:40 p.m.

Y Grad / Y Dad
    Richland, WA

Seasons heading south?

Okay here's the research...

Over the last two years Utah played 20 BCS teams. BYU played 9.

Utah's winning percentage against its BCS opponents was higher than BYUs record against its BCS opponents... look it up.

As Utah gears up to be more competitive against BCS opposition it recruiting results are on the upswing.

As BYU prepares for a higher level of indy competition its last 3 recruiting classes are the worst in a decade.

One down recruiting year is a concern.
    Two down years is a crisis.
    Three down years is a disaster.
    Four down recruiting years is a program killer.

Tom Holmoe is well aware of the danger that three bad recruiting years pose for BYU.

That's why he cleaned house. Cleaning house is what desperate managers do when faced with a disaster that they don't know how to fix. It usually doesn't help solve the problem, but it distracts attention from the disaster.

Now what was that comment about heading south?

April 16, 2013 7:43 p.m.

Cougar Passion,

It's not surprising though. What is really humorous also is the double standard of devlisute. It's ok for Utah to use key injuries as an excuse for losing, but Cougar fans have to shut-up and own it when their team loses. No excuses.

• Cougar Passion Salt Lake City, UT
    April 16, 2013 7:01 p.m.

Cougars1: And it's the height of irony to say that nobody cares about BYU outside of Utah/Idaho, but he identifies himself as being from Philly. A person that doesn't care about a sports program, one way or another, simply and unequivocally does not bother with that program in any fashion, just as I, who do not care about the Utes, have never posted anything on an article regarding them.

April 16, 2013 6:07 p.m.

DevlishUte,

April 16, 2013 6:08 p.m.

Naval,

I must be bored. I did some research. The Stadium Grille closed both locations on Sept.13, 2011. So the only game you got to see were Ol Miss and Texas. You would have missed Utah as it was on the 17th.

You really lose credibility when you say nobody outside of Utah/Idaho cares about BYU. That's just not true and you know it.

• DevilishUte Tempe, AZ
    April 16, 2013 5:21 p.m.

"In fact, speaking of key injuries, from what I saw of the game, if BYU has a healthy qb in the game, it's a win."

Stop speculating and making excuses and accept that BYU lost the game and has lost 8 of the last 11 games.

• Lightening Lad Austin , TX
    April 16, 2013 5:12 p.m.

Look at the numbers, BYU's ESPN paycheck for each game is up to twice the payout of most minor bowls, while being the only significant game being televised.

April 16, 2013 4:46 p.m.

AZUTE,

What part of my post had anything to do with strength of schedule? I agree that Utah is trying to adjust to the PAC. I am only contending that Utah is going to have to have a better than 500 year this year to prove that they are adjusting. Do you think Utah is the only PAC team recruiting speed? They all are. In fact they all are recruiting speed and SIZE. Take a good look at the recruiting classes the last couple of years of other PAC schools. Utah has a long way to go.

As for the predictions of BYU blowing out Utah last year; none of the BYU fans I know were making such predictions. In fact most of us were just hoping that BYU would keep it close. Which they did. In fact, speaking of key injuries, from what I saw of the game, if BYU has a healthy qb in the game, it's a win.

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    April 16, 2013 4:12 p.m.

@ Cougars1

Par for the course. I certainly wouldn't expect anything different out of you. It's obvious Strength-of-Schedule will continue to elude byu fans everywhere. The fact is, UTAH has added significant speed to their roster, a key ingredient for success in our conference, and we've added depth at spots where we were previously devoid of it, such as OL and QB. To the dismay of the byu fanbase, we'll be just fine. But thanks for your concern. Much appreciated.

Regarding our game this upcoming season, not even deliberately placing a bye-week preceding it will save byu. This fact, alone, screams desperation. I can't tell you how hysterical it was to see all of the outrageous predictions of a byu blowout of UTAH last season made by byu fans preceding our game only to see the all too familiar result come to fruition. Face it, as UTAH is busy acclimating themselves to being a big boy, byu is searching both high and low for the next 2-Star recruit with which to fill their roster.

April 16, 2013 3:53 p.m.

AZUTE,

Well then things look pretty bleak for Utah to make any improvements in the PAC. Their 2013 recruiting class is ranked 54th. I don't see them adding the depth they so desperately needed;) All joking aside, this is a very important year for Utah. they need to show well in the PAC this year to prove that below 500 is not going to continue be business as usual for the Utes in the PAC. I don't see that happening. It looks like a rough year is ahead as well as a loss to BYU.

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    April 16, 2013 3:24 p.m.

We had a tougher year this past season than in 2011 due to significantly more key-injuries and to the overall improvement of our conference, from top-to-bottom. No die-hard UTE was even remotely delusional about the fact we'd need to go through a period of transition in terms of developing the overall depth necessary to go through something byu has never, ever even remotely gone through and that's a legitimate week in, week out grind of a schedule. Their upcoming 2013 schedule is as close as they've ever been to it, yet it still falls far, far short of it.

• Striker Omaha, NE
    April 16, 2013 2:49 p.m.

" In the 4 yrs I used to go there, I only saw 4 cougar games on any of those screens. And every time they WERE shown, it was vs. their big brother on the Hill."

That's funny, because haven't BYU and u been in the same conference for decades? Wouldn't that mean they are on the same networks? Weren't many of those on the mtn for years? If you were in PA, how did you see so many games? The mtn isn't on the East coast. What 4 years? Those 4 years couldn't have included the last two, because BYU has been on ESPN at least 10 of their games each year, whereas u is always on the new, West coast PAC TV station. Please clarify, because your story makes ZERO sense.

April 16, 2013 1:04 p.m.

"Really? How many times do you need to be told this. This question had already been asked and answered. We're losing more games because we've been playing a substantially more challenging schedule. "

Relative to playing in the PAC, 2 years, Utah has been on a downhill slide since playing the same schedule. (8-5, 3-5-2011 5-7, 3-6-2012) I understand the drop from 2010 to 2011, but why are they continuing to slide? They should be improving. As for BYU, they should have improved from 2010 to 2011(easier schedule) and the drop from 2011 to 2012 can also be explained.(tougher schedule)

I actually think you may have uncovered something here. Genius.

• Cougars1 Bluffdale, UT
    April 16, 2013 12:53 p.m.

"We used to have a place back here in Philadelphia called "The Stadium Grille". It served the best burgers and ribs in town. It had 5 big screen TVs, and 13" mini TVs in every booth. It showed sports programming all day long, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. I used to watch all my big games there while noshing on ribs and pizza, until the owner decided to retire and close the sports restaurant. In the 4 yrs I used to go there, I only saw 4 cougar games on any of those screens. And every time they WERE shown, it was vs. their big brother on the Hill."

Naval,

One question. Has this place been open since the Cougars went Indy and signed a deal with ESPN? As you know, before the ESPN deal BYU was hiding on an obscure network in the MWC which might explain why you wouldn't see them on ESPN very often before 2011.

• Spider Rico Greeley, CO
    April 16, 2013 12:38 p.m.

Uhhh...hello...that's why the Friday and Thursday games are cool for ratings. Now they will be the only game on so those types of places will put the game on the tv. People aren't going to say oh it's BYU let's not put the game on. If there is a college footall game to put on they will put it on because people love football. Get over yourself - we Cougars are happy to have the Indy ESPN deal period. You aren't going to convince us it is a bad thing. You aren't going to convince us the Yewts deal with the PAC is better. You aren't going to talk us over to the dark side. We have and always will bleed blue so stop kidding yourselves. Let us be happy for our Cougs and stop trying to convince us not to, it won't work!

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    April 16, 2013 12:18 p.m.

Striker:

"I once went into Red Mango and they were playing the BYU game and it was the only option for people to watch..."

I never went there on any days were the cougars bowled, so it's conceivable there were more than just those 4 games, but you see my point. I guess unless patrons are being held hostage to the only game on TV, nobody cares about the cougs outside of Utah/Idaho.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    April 16, 2013 12:11 p.m.

Y Grad / Y Dad:

I understand that cougar fans don't know anything about the rigors of playing top flight programs week in and week out featuring predominately highly recruited 3-, 4-, and 5-star athletes, so I get why you just don't get it, but what I DON'T get is why cougar fans keep asking that question. It's been asked and answered. If you didn't get it then, you're not going to get it now.

• Striker Omaha, NE
    April 16, 2013 11:41 a.m.

To us who live out of state, I think most of us prefer this. I know I have gone to a local sports restaurant and asked if they could put the game over the sound system. Since it's usually on ESPN, they have no problem with that. It's fun to be the only college football game on TV, and living outside of Utah, these Friday night games bring TONS of exposure because the game is on all the big TV's, or only TV if it's a small store. I once went into Red Mango and they were playing the BYU game and it was the only option for people to watch, and people were watching.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    April 16, 2013 10:48 a.m.

Exposure IS a two edged sword, and what we've wanted exposed, and what WAS exposed, are two different things.

But Howard, whose to say the recruiting classes would not have even been as good as they were, if not for the ESPN exposure?

Research that, Howard, and come back and report to us. We all really want to know.

• Cougar Passion Salt Lake City, UT
    April 16, 2013 10:29 a.m.

Sure wish we had a feature to block those who we feel do not contribute to a civil dialogue or submit thoughtful comments. Then those who have no interest in either of those would be more likely to actually find something worth doing with their time.

• Whoa Nellie American Fork, UT
    April 16, 2013 9:37 a.m.

Only a fool would prefer doing chores on Saturday instead of going to a football game.

Unless the Cougars make drastic changes this year, the exposure they realize will be provided by Boise State, not ESPN.

• oddman ,
    April 16, 2013 8:44 a.m.

Re: Howie baby - Recruiting schmooting. Since when has ESPNs recruiting rankings had a twit to do with how players are developed and egos are channeled and games played with full purpose of heart and are entertaining? Not all fans think their team must rank in the upper tiers of the polls to be worth watching. I guess those numbers are insignificant?

• Howard S. Taylorsville, UT
    April 16, 2013 7:44 a.m.

Cougars1
    Bluffdale, UT

Conclusions inaccurate?

The facts are that following each of the two years of ESPN exposure BYU has signed recruiting classes that are the lowest ranked since 2002.

What is inaccurate about concluding that ESPN exposure may not have been such a great thing for the BYU football program?

• shorts Payson, UT
    April 16, 2013 6:35 a.m.

RE: Ernest T. Bass
    Bountiful, UT

For one of the first time I agree with you.

• Cougars1 Bluffdale, UT
    April 15, 2013 11:04 p.m.

Howie,

Give it a rest. Your conclusions are inaccurate and you obsession is starting to look frantic and obsessed.

I am in the same situation as Duckhunter, only my youngest hits high school in 10 years. 13 more years of watching the games late on Fridays with the dvr. First thing after reading the article I had to check the high school schedule hoping one of those days was a bye week. No such luck. See you on 9/20 Duck.

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    April 15, 2013 10:30 p.m.

Friday night? It matters not. It's about exposure so why worry? If it was a Wednesday or Monday game thing and imbalance with days off, long and then cut short, then I would worry if I was a BYU fan. But it's not the issue. Friday night is no big deal. It's prime time exposure.

• Howard S. Taylorsville, UT
    April 15, 2013 9:24 p.m.

Not sure that exposure has been such a great thing for BYU.

After two years of ESPN exposure BYU signed two of its lowest ranked recruiting classes since 2002.

In fact, BYU signed higher rated recruiting classes during its "obsolescence" in the MWC.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    April 15, 2013 9:19 p.m.

I'm mixed on this. I have been a season ticket holder for over 30 years, since Jim McMahon was the qb. Growing up Saturday games were the norm, and perfect for me. While in HS school we had our own games Friday night and then went to the BYU game the next day. No conflicts, just perfect.

But now I have kids in high school as well as coach youth football. I always attend the hs games on Friday nights and then coach football games on Saturday. The Saturday youth games do occasionally interfere with the BYU games so I probably miss 1 game per year where our youth game is the same time or else gets over with to little time to make it over to LES.

Thursday games are better for me at this stage of my life but that is the thing, it changes. 2 more years and my youngest is in HS so Saturday's open back up, 6 years and he is done with HS and all my days open back up.

In the meantime I'm glad there are dvr's.

• WA_Alum&Dad Marysville, WA
    April 15, 2013 5:04 p.m.

As an out-of-state fan who wouldn't get to go to LES for the game anyway, Friday night is fine with me. Making 20K season ticket holders and 10K students cold and tired versus having 100K more people get to see the game live seems like an OK trade to me. Also, being a west-coaster, the games aren't on that late. I can see how east coast cougs might feel differently.

• junkgeek Agua Dulce, TX
    April 15, 2013 3:45 p.m.

This is what passes for journalism now at the DN? Some blogger no one's heard of publishing tweets

• bribri86 Phoenix, AZ
    April 15, 2013 3:18 p.m.

Works for me, can watch BYU play Friday night, then spend the day going to Sun Devil Stadium to watch Arizona State University play. Win-win.

• sls Columbia, MO
    April 15, 2013 3:17 p.m.

Thursday nights are bad for the team and bad for the fans in the midwest and east because it makes it a very late night before getting up for work in the morning. However, Fridays don't present as many problems. I love the BYU-USU games that are on Fridays each year. Keep up with the exposure, but let's win the games and prove that BYU belongs on the national scene each and every year.

• Hondo Scottsdale, AZ
    April 15, 2013 2:36 p.m.

I prefer watching the boys play on Saturday and I'd rather watch them play against SEC (Ole Miss) or Big12 (Texas) teams than against WAC teams (SJSU).

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    April 15, 2013 2:27 p.m.

I love Friday night games. That leaves Saturday for chores to get ready for Sunday.

• Mildred in Fillmore Salt Lake City, UT
    April 15, 2013 2:16 p.m.

Doesn't matter which night BYU plays, they are the most popular team in the Land.

• 3grandslams Iowa City, IA
    April 15, 2013 1:58 p.m.

So the vocal minorities are who drive the news as long as their reactions is sensational. Yellow Journalism.