Faith

Youths from 25 California wards attend Mormon Prom

Comments

• pacnwmom Vancouver, WA
    April 17, 2013 7:35 a.m.

We just had LDS Prom in Vancouver Washington, my son had a wonderful time. He refuses to go to his school prom because of the children having inappropriate relations with clothing on the dance floor, even though the school has rules banning "grinding." The kids ball together so the chaperones cannot see it. LDS Prom was simply fantastic!

• Carolyn Hart Bennett Rexburg, ID
    April 15, 2013 2:16 p.m.

I take issue with the following statement: "Once they turn 16, however, Mormon youths are 'encouraged' to start dating." This is not true. They are not supposed to date until they are 16, to help avoid problems, but once they are 16 they can then, if they choose, start dating. As a parent, I can vouch that the longer they wait to date, the more happy this parent is.

• Kinderly Spanish Fork, UT
    April 15, 2013 10:01 a.m.

My high school was about 5% lds and I went to a few dances--they were really inappropriate. You can control your own dress and dancing but you can't control the music and you can't control how the people around you are dressed and how they are dancing. These students could choose to go to both but I think that staying away from school dances is reasonable and not closing yourself off from the rest of the world. I think that dances like this "Mormon Prom" are great to provide a positive, fun environment. I'm glad they are including anyone in the community who wants to come and follow the standards.

• angowy Laguna Niguel, CA
    April 15, 2013 8:06 a.m.

My son attended this prom AND his high school prom. It didn't isolate him from the community. There is a strong LDS presence here and the kids are very active in their school activities. A simple prom doesn't change that. In fact, word gets around that they are having a prom and others want to attend. When our youth start talking about "Mormal", their nickname for the Spring Formal, others want to know about it. It is a positive experience for everyone.

• Digawump South Jordan, UT
    April 15, 2013 8:05 a.m.

To: Seattle Boy
    Great comment. It should be pointed out that many of the LDS youth are VERY active in their schools and participate actively and prominently (Student Government, Clubs, Sports, etc. e.g. one of the YW is a cheerleader, but I have known many others in many positions of prominence at schools). I taught early morning Seminary in RSM for three years with class starting at 5:20 AM for many of those students who had a "zero" period so that they could participate in such activities. They participate fully and actively, attempting to provide positive examples and leadership. Unfortunately the tide of filth is growing ever stronger and they are unable to change it for everyone. Fortunately, as was pointed out, there are many non-LDS that attend these events because they offer a better alternative. It is not seen as "hiding" or "retreating" because this is not the only thing they do, but is an alternative, not held to compete with, but provide an alternative for.... Is it perfect...? No. But it is something which can help.

• Star Bright Salt Lake City, Ut
    April 14, 2013 11:12 p.m.

Vai Sikahema (I know that must be wrong spelling) held proms for the students in his city and it was NOT limited to LDS, only limited to behavior/dress/dancing.

I'm not sure how it is in CA, but in the East the dances are disgusting and you really wouldn't want your kids participating in it. Besides the amount of money spent on these dances with people renting condos for the night to house boys and girls after the dances - all night! The limos the drinks the food - some of them are paying $1,000 for the dance etc.

• OrangeCrushAZ Gilbert, AZ
    April 14, 2013 8:30 a.m.

I used to live in South Orange County, and one important aspect is not stated in the article that a couple of commentors have criticized without understanding the full story. Although it's called "Mormon Prom" (which is a nickname--the real name is usually along the lines of "Spring Formal") they are very open to the public as long as kids attending adhere to the standards of modest dress and no dirty dancing. A lot of the kids have dates who aren't LDS, but there are also couples that neither one is LDS but they come because they prefer the environment over what goes on at the schools. I used to chaperone youth dances at my stake center that was right next to a high school. It wasn't uncommon for us to have several hundred kids come with as many as 50% being non-LDS, and they were willing to abide by the rules. Mormon Prom is actually used as a great way to include the community in a clean, fun activity and I applaud them for it.

• Rikitikitavi Cardston, Alberta
    April 13, 2013 4:57 p.m.

No fear that anyone will just "run and hide" in my view. But I really like your idea of including youth with similar values. MY guess is that these young folks are way ahead of us and sooner than later will expand the reach of this type of event to be more inclusive.

• seattle_boy SEATTLE, WA
    April 13, 2013 1:59 p.m.

I'm glad the kids had a great time, but I'm concerned about these kinds of events making us (speaking as a Mormon) seem even more isolated and closed off from our neighbors. If these people really wanted to impact their community I would encourage them to participate in their school's prom while adhering to their standards. I bet you there are a lot of kids at these schools who share the same values as the LDS teens who would love to see someone stand up to the pressure.

All this LDS prom does, is say that we have given up on having a positive influence on our communities so we are retreating to our own little world. I don't think that's a good lesson to teach these kids. What are they going to do when they are in the professional world and they are forced to interact with people who really don't share their values? Just run and hide?

• Joan Watson TWIN FALLS, ID
    April 13, 2013 11:27 a.m.

THREE CHEERS!!