Sports

Hill named BYU's starting quarterback

Comments

• sls Columbia, MO
    April 15, 2013 7:45 a.m.

Hilll helped beat Utah State. The utes lost to Utah State.

• sls Columbia, MO
    April 14, 2013 6:38 p.m.

Placing this article right below another one about Jake Heaps is an insult. I think Hill will finally make everyone forget about Heaps.

• Wiscougarfan River Falls, WI
    April 14, 2013 7:18 a.m.

RE: Frantic and Emotional

Sure, you can have all the credit you want for beating the "Indy-WACers", but that might be problematic for you since you insist on associating BYU with the WAC, even though the Utes spent just as much time in that conference as BYU (but experienced very little success as members of the conference). If you want to talk about W/L against PAC12 teams, go ahead and figure out what BYU's W/L record is against that conference. This makes sense with BYU playing exactly ZERO WAC teams in 2013, but with a healthy line-up of PAC foes over the next several years.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    April 13, 2013 8:34 p.m.

Wiscougarfan:

"Since joining the PAC12 the University of Utah is 0-1 against WAC teams."

What? You're not going to give us credit for beating the Indy-WACers twice since 2011? How unfair. We should be credited as being 2-1.

• lanius Woods Cross, UT
    April 13, 2013 3:18 p.m.

Good for hill, but is he willing to cover kicks?

• Wiscougarfan River Falls, WI
    April 12, 2013 1:34 p.m.

RE: Frantic and Emotional

No, I respond to your comments because I am participating in a discussion board that centers on a team (BYU) that I do care about. I have never responded to you on any other discussion threads (i.e. University of Utah articles) because I am not nearly as interested in them and therefore have no need to make repeated posts (and I very rarely read them).

Oh, and since you are unable to answer the one question I posed let me go ahead and answer it for you. Since joining the PAC12 the University of Utah is 0-1 against WAC teams.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    April 12, 2013 12:52 p.m.

Wiscougarfan:

You comment frequently to/about me. Does this mean that you care deeply about me? Because if not, than sort shoots a huge gaping hole in your frantic and emotional theory that I'm impressed with how many of the worst teams in the WAC you'd beaten.

"What is your W/L record against WAC teams in the last few years?"

Just like our Indy-WACey little brother, we're undefeated vs. the worst teams in the WAC. The difference however, is that we don't target them to fill out half our schedule to ensure bowl eligibility.

• Wiscougarfan River Falls, WI
    April 12, 2013 9:42 a.m.

RE: Naval Vet

"You'd also most likely witnessed the general lassitude to your team's prowess at beating the worst teams in the WAC in order to inflate your W/L record. Nobody cared."

Not true Naval Vet. You must care deeply about this because you comment on it almost daily. What is your W/L record against WAC teams in the last few years?

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    April 12, 2013 9:25 a.m.

MUSSing with U:

"Tanner Mangum was recruited AFTER BYU announced its Independence."

I was responding to Cougar Passion, and Cougar Passion was talking about Jason Munns. Been having some difficulty following along, hadn't you? Fail.

And as for what you'd seen while we've been members of the Pac-12 was you'd seen two more losses at on the gridiron courtesy of your big brother on the Hill, and significant separation in recruiting -- with OURsremaining strong, and YOURs sliding back to...well...the 1970s I guess. Haha!

• MUSSing with U Baltimore, MD
    April 11, 2013 10:51 p.m.

Naval Vet

"Good thing they recruited all those QBs before they left the MWC."

BYU has been recruiting great QBs since the 70's - Tanner Mangum was recruited AFTER BYU announced its Independence.

Unlike a certain program up north whose QB cupboard was so bare when Chow arrived that Norm panicked when he got to Utah and immediately went out and recruited a D-II QB as the primary back up to an injury-prone starter coming off of shoulder surgery. We saw what that got U in your first two seasons in the PAC 10.2 - two losing conference seasons, a spot in the coveted couch potato bowl, and finishing behind BYU in the rankings.

• BigCougar Bountiful, UT
    April 11, 2013 5:00 p.m.

With coaches so high on Alani Fua and wanting to get him on the field as much as possible I wonder if we'll see Spencer Hadley slide back inside so that Fua can play on the outside opposite of Van Noy in certain situations. That will be some awesome pressure on opposing QB's with Bronson, KVN and Fua hitting them from different directions

• BigCougar Bountiful, UT
    April 11, 2013 4:53 p.m.

@Papi_Chulo
    "I was waiting for Mendenhall to say the starting QB was Riley Nelson...LOL"

Actually, didn't you know? Bronco's petitioning the NCAA on Riley's behalf trying to see if he can get him a medical redshirt year for all the time he's missed due to injury. We might see Riley back on the field this fall!

• Hegdehog Bountiful, UT
    April 11, 2013 4:48 p.m.

@NorCalCougarFan&Alum
    " I wonder if the Cougars are too top heavy in the quarterback position. I read something after Alabama won the national championship that Nick Saban's teams are so successful because they focus their recruiting on offensive and defensive linemen, the secondary positions, and their running back positions."

After watching utah football the past couple of seasons apparently that approach only works for Saban!

• Hemlock Salt Lake City, UT
    April 11, 2013 1:18 p.m.

Brilliant conclusion, Navel Vet, just brilliant.

• Cougar Passion Salt Lake City, UT
    April 11, 2013 12:34 p.m.

CougFaninTX: I don't remember him being a 4-star recruit, but it wouldn't be the first time that I was wrong. What I do remember was the feeling that he had gotten about as far as he was capable of going based on his size, and that the big-bodied quarterbacks rarely do well at BYU, or even in the NFL. When I say big-bodied, I mean burly guys taller than about 6'3". With a few exceptions, it seems the ones who are the *very* best quarterbacks, even into the NFL, are the guys who are no more than about 6'2" and had to maximize every aspect of playing the position, tangible and otherwise, because they were not always fawned over because of their "prototypical NFL size". And that is also why, with few exceptions, the top quarterbacks at BYU didn't have the NFL size either. It's also why I do leave more room for Billy Green than I felt was there for Munns: he does fit the mold size-wise, and likely feels he has something to prove.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    April 11, 2013 12:25 p.m.

Cougar Passion:

"BYU tries to ensure they bring at least one quarterback into the program each year, as insurance in case things get wacky..."

And things certainly DID get WACey for the team down south. Good thing they recruited all those QBs before they left the MWC.

• Wiscougarfan River Falls, WI
    April 11, 2013 12:06 p.m.

RE: NorCalCougFan&Alum

"Saban is willing to take two-star quarterbacks and focus his attention elsewhere."

Maybe, but his actions show differently. I just checked the recruiting services and see that in the last five years Saban has recruited one five-star, three four-star, and ZERO two-star recruits at the QB position. I agree with the premise of your argument--that improving the O-line will do wonders for our offense. However, I still think having a quality QB makes a big difference as well. And let's be honest here, BYU is not Alabama. We have to do what works within our system.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    April 11, 2013 11:56 a.m.

@Passion - I don't think Munns was doomed from the start. He was a 4 star high school QB with NFL size. I was surprised that neither Lark nor Munns was able to beat out Nelson. As 4 star QBs, both should have been able to win the starting nod over Nelson. For whatever reason, Munns never reached the expectation that many had for him. It looks like the future is Hill and Olsen with Stewart as an insurance policy.

• Vladhagen Salt Lake City, UT
    April 11, 2013 11:39 a.m.

I have not heard much about the diet/conditioning of the OL that was used last year. I know that for a while the prevailing philosophy with the OL was to lean them down and make them more mobile. I guess that Anae changed all that.

• RepresentBlue West Jordan, UT
    April 11, 2013 11:29 a.m.

So Munns has officially been put out to pasture. Not surprising, but I feel bad for the guy. I think he had a ton of potential and probably should have transferred after his mission. I could say the same for James Lark as well.

• Cougar Passion Salt Lake City, UT
    April 11, 2013 11:09 a.m.

A few years ago, I asserted in another newspaper's comments that Jason Munns would likely never see meaningful playing time, for which I was castigated by a couple other readers. Why did BYU recruit him? Well, a very big reason, of course, is that he is LDS. Another reason, related to that, is that he was the highest-profile LDS quarterback coming out of high school that year. As most schools do, BYU tries to ensure they bring at least one quarterback into the program each year, as insurance in case things get wacky and the more highly-sought quarterbacks are unavailable due to injury, transfer, or whatever. But my feeling is that he was never the one looked to as "the guy".

Now, we have another quarterback on the roster, and I am going to predict the same thing. Does BYU recruit Billy Green if there is a similarly-rated LDS quarterback available? Very unlikely. But BYU didn't want to go a year without one QB coming in. He probably has more potential than Munns, but I still think it's likely that he will be passed up by other future recruits.

• papi_chulo Ogden, UT
    April 11, 2013 11:09 a.m.

I was waiting for Mendenhall to say the starting QB was Riley Nelson...LOL

• Lightening Lad Austin , TX
    April 11, 2013 10:55 a.m.

Shocking! Taysom's choice knocked me right off my chair and onto the floor. Anae pulled the big surprise, who would have thunk?

• Snark Provo, UT
    April 11, 2013 9:27 a.m.

I am cautiously optimistic about the line and the offense generally. What I saw at the spring game with the up-tempo offense and remarkable running back output gives me real hope for a great season. My caution comes in the form of the issues conditioning and keeping the hogs healthy (those are joined at the hip). Ryker and the other OLs have to be in the lineup and the uptempo style of play will require extraordinary conditioning (especially for the big boys). The stable of great running backs we are sporting will serve us well at the new pace, but I don't see that we have the same depth on the OL. Those guys are going to have to be remarkably fit.

Taysom, news? Maybe not but those who watched the spring game will be very excited about how little we lose if Hill goes down again. The QB competition produced confidence in the depth chart that will pay dividends.

• Hondo Scottsdale, AZ
    April 11, 2013 8:50 a.m.

Shocking development!

• Barney Google Beaver, UT
    April 11, 2013 7:41 a.m.

I agree with Lone Star Cougar.
    "You can have a great QB but if you don't have a great O-line"

Remember Steve Young playing in Tampa Bay?

Or should I say running for his life in Tampa Bay!

Need the Big Boys!

• Cinci Man FT MITCHELL, KY
    April 11, 2013 7:24 a.m.

Congratulations to Taysom and best of luck this season.

• SuperZell Shandee Salt Lake City, UT
    April 11, 2013 6:58 a.m.

Stop the presses! Hill's going to be the starter!!!

• Lone Star Cougar Plano, TX
    April 11, 2013 5:43 a.m.

You can have a great QB but if you don't have a great O-line, then it won't matter how good your QBs or RBs are. I am glad to hear that BYU's O-line is improving from last year as I think this is very essential to a winning program.

• Sweater In Rafters Franklin, IN
    April 11, 2013 12:48 a.m.

After his performance last year it would seem obvious for him to be the guy right? His injury last year as well as Riley's supports the Elk dudes comment above...

• David Centerville, UT
    April 10, 2013 10:39 p.m.

Can BYU football have a perfect QB? One that can run the ball with speed, and also have a great throwing arm? Steve Young type QB? Great leadership, great athleticism, great speed, and great arm.

Maybe Hill will be the man.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    April 10, 2013 10:15 p.m.

The biggest surprise to me on the depth chart was at wide receiver, where Hoffman and Ridley are listed as the two starters and Apo is a back-up. I know that could change in August.

NorCal - I understand your point about Alabama QBs, but their offense is completely different than BYU's. Their offense is focused on a power run game. A top passer is not as critical to their success. However, BYU's offense relies on the passing game, and having a great passer is critical. That's why we struggled on offense the last few years. We didn't have a QB with a great arm. I'm very excited to see Hill, and it sounds like Olsen is a solid back-up. The BYU offense will be much more potent this year.

• NorCalCougarFan&Alum Elk Grove, CA
    April 10, 2013 9:45 p.m.

I will never claim to be an expert regarding college football. However, sometimes I wonder if the Cougars are too top heavy in the quarterback position. I read something after Alabama won the national championship that Nick Saban's teams are so successful because they focus their recruiting on offensive and defensive linemen, the secondary positions, and their running back positions. Saban is willing to take two-star quarterbacks and focus his attention elsewhere. We saw what Alabama's secondary, linemen, and running game can do in their win against Notre Dame. I will always be a proud Cougar fan and alumni, but I sometimes wonder since the limit on scholarships players is eighty-five, and I'm guessing BYU doesn't come close to the latter number. I'd like to get people's thoughts about what I'm talking about.