Sports

BYU's Hill has high expectations for offense

Comments

• 2BCSWINS West of I15, UT
    April 11, 2013 8:16 a.m.

Claws and cougie in TX are right. Hill is the next Peyton Manning or Tom Brady they guy will break every record in NCAA college football history.

• VAggie Bristow, United States
    April 11, 2013 7:51 a.m.

If you think 59% is overly impressive for a freshman, Realize chuckie keeton started his career as a true freshman throwing 70% in his 1st two games. One of those teams was the defending national champs. 59% may not make you give up on the guy, but impressive isn't the right word either.

• Average Me Bremerton, WA
    April 10, 2013 4:21 p.m.

@WisCoug

I get what you are saying. Those stats would be sad for a junior or seniour QB but Hill was making his first throws ever as a QB. If you take those stats and make them the worst case projections, which can be expected from a natural progression for a player, then Hill looks good. Like I said, completing 59% of your passes in your very first 2.5 games as a freshman is pretty awesome.

• WaybackCougar Salt Lake City, UT
    April 10, 2013 3:22 p.m.

59.2% isn't bad for a freshman just getting his feet wet and working in an offense where throwing on the run was common. Hill shouldn't have much problem improving upon that.

• WisCoug MOUNT HOREB, WI
    April 10, 2013 12:28 p.m.

"Hill, who completed 42-of-71 passes for 425 yards and rushed 55 times for 336 yards last season..."

Winning helps people forget the mistakes and watching Riley and then James struggle really made fans pine for Hill and 2013, but these numbers are not very good for a D-1 starting QB and, if not improved upon, could lead to a very difficult year to watch.

Hill's completion rate of 59.2% has to be better. For comparison Nelson was 58.8. This is the equivalent of about 2 extra completions across a season (assuming 500 attempts in a season as BYU did last year).

His yards per attempt was less than 6 and per game (as a starter) was 173.5. The top-50 QBs in this statistic in 2012 were all above 7.5 & 230, not to mention that Nelson was better as well at 6.5 and 201.

In two starts, Hill rushed 34 times, the last one resulting in a season-ending injury. In my opinion, if he can't throw then he needs to sit and if he can throw then BYU needs to stop running him so much.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    April 10, 2013 11:17 a.m.

I think KVN is interested in more than one game. He may be most interested in one game, but something tells me he's very excited in the best schedule the Cougs have ever had.

• 3grandslams Iowa City, IA
    April 10, 2013 10:18 a.m.

I like to see the Cougars embracing the fast paced offense. Tough,demanding system. Taking the lumps last year was so frustrating because of having no offense. How do you lose to Boise St. when their offense is held scoreless? Answer: you have no offense at all, no where.

Bold,good moves in the off season by Bronco. Anae will put a nasty offense on the field, coupled with Mendenhalls D, we will win games we are supposed to win and maybe a few more.

Van Noy is only interested in one game...

• Cougarista Salt Lake City, UT
    April 10, 2013 9:58 a.m.

It's great to have these athletes represent BYU. Success? We hope so, but the final score in life does not include football W-L. Yale has lost to that school up north several years in a row in The Game, but Eli Yale is doing just fine thank you. So goes BYU.

• 54-10 Salt Lake City, UT
    April 10, 2013 9:43 a.m.

Nothing to see here folks. You would expect the QB and team leader to have high expectations. Sounds like a good kid.

• GO_COUGARS! Provo, UT
    April 10, 2013 9:33 a.m.

We're going undefeated this year. I can feel it. Just like last year.

• Hondo Scottsdale, AZ
    April 10, 2013 9:12 a.m.

Claws and Messing with Texas have provided good laughs this morning. Mentioning Hill in the same breath as Luck, Moore, Mariota, and Kaepernick............. Kepp'em coming boys.

• Cinci Man FT MITCHELL, KY
    April 10, 2013 8:27 a.m.

Please accept my sincere hopes for a great season. And I wish the very best for Hill. He seems like a great young man and I'm glad he's on OUR team. Go mighty Cougs!

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    April 10, 2013 7:35 a.m.

Claws - I absolutely agree. I like Hill's confidence without the arrogance. I think he plays like a young Colin Kaepernick.

• Cougar Claws Lindon, UT
    April 9, 2013 11:19 p.m.

A couple other QBs I noticed without arrogance or charisma were Kellen Moore, Andrew Luck, and Marcus Mariota. If Hill has a level head on his shoulders and plays intelligently, the lack of arrogance and charisma is just fine with me.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    April 9, 2013 8:37 p.m.

Really enjoyed listening to the player interviews on True Blue. Hill is quite eloquent. He doesn't have the arrogance of Heaps or the enthusiasm / charisma of Nelson, but he sounds like a real QB. I bet the players respond to his leadership during the off-season.

But why hasn't Bronco or Anae named him the starter? Are Olsen and Stewart really that close? Are the coaches waiting to see what the QBs do on their own in the off-season?

If (big IF) the offensive line comes together this will be a very good season with 9 or more wins. If they perform like Swiss cheese, we'll be happy with our invite to stop World Hunger.

• Warrior Parent Belle Glade, FL
    April 9, 2013 7:08 p.m.

I like what I see

• SLCWatch Salt Lake City, UT
    April 9, 2013 7:02 p.m.

A couple of things I noticed in the scrimmages and video's I've seen that give me optimism is:
    1. The quarterback seems to have returned to being...well, a quarterback. More throwing, definitely more deep and middle routes. Quick hand offs to the backs and very little running (okay some but not the 3rd running back we grew tired of)
    2. We have no running backs!!! (It's called a disinformation campaign. Wink wink, Nod Nod)
    3. The dropped ball was rare. I am tired of seeing receiver dropped balls.
    4. It's definitely fasssssster. Ok, I jest, the pace is like a Sunday School class in a geriatrics Ward. (Wink Wink, Nod Nod)

Five Months....Ohhhhhhhh Kay. Breath deep. Hope springs eternal.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    April 9, 2013 5:35 p.m.

Okay, so brace yourself, Taysom and the loyal blue. This year the anklebiters are as bad as ever, but they are joined by the grumblers, the less than loyal blue and the torch and pitchfork gang.

To some extent you have to cut them some slack. It's been a while since we have played up to our potential on both sides of the ball, let alone exceeded expectations. See, the problem is, BYU fans by nature are optimists. Which leads to hope springs eternal. Which leads to high expectations. You get my drift.

Just don't take any guff from any of them. Most never wore pads.