Faith

Returned missionary surprises high school sweetheart on her birthday (+video)

Comments

• Kelliebelle66 West Jordan, UT
    April 12, 2013 12:50 p.m.

I have encouraged all of my children to avoid pairing off in high school. All of them did or have so far except for my eldest. My son met his future wife at the pool when they were 12. She doesn't remember that but they became best friends starting in middle school. I knew when I first met her when they were 13 that there was something about this girl that was special to my son. We laughed because it seemed like they spent more time with each other than anybody they happened to be dating at the time. When they started dating in high school no one was surprised. Thankfully she waited for him and they are expecting their first child next week after 2 1/2 years of marriage. I understand the concerns of people who talk about pairing off and are judging this couple, but having experienced something similar as a parent I can see that there are some people who meet the one for them early on. It is a worry. It is important in these cases to be vigilant as parents and to teach our children to keep high moral standards. It can be done

• kosimov Riverdale, UT
    April 11, 2013 4:53 p.m.

I was in a similar situation. I was a convert; the love of my life invited me to investigate after a year. I had a spiritual prompting that the Church is true and I was baptized soon after, though I did not want to serve a mission because we were committed to marrying each other. I later received a powerful Patriarchal Blessing, then a testimony from that Patriarch in Priesthood weeks later. I decided to serve a mission, since she wasn't ready to get married. It was VERY hard to leave her! I had a difficult mission but it was worth it. She promised to wait but she was dating two months later, and visited me in my mission president's office a few months later to tell me she was marrying someone else! She introduced me to him-great guy.
    Even though it didn't work out, I was glad she introduced me to the Church. I met my wonderful wife on my mission. Going steady brought me into the Church and taught me The Gospel; sometimes it does work out. Follow the Spirit!

• G L W8 SPRINGVILLE, UT
    April 11, 2013 4:40 p.m.

Somebody's missing the point here: this couple played it right, what could be a better example? I had a friend who was concerned about general advice given by the brethren; the girl he was dating worked in the church office building. When he spoke to some of the brethren about his concern, their reply was: "We have no worry about the two of you." So how about relaxing a bit?

As to those of you who consider it a boring, non-worthy news story, why not let the rest of us enjoy? I'll suffer through the miserable stories you want if you'll let me have a bit of pleasure in mine.

• L & T Bountiful, UT
    April 10, 2013 11:40 a.m.

This comment feed made me laugh when those of you questioned why it was listed in the Top News...it is because it was a popular article and viewed by more people than the other articles. Get a clue people!! It is a nice human interest story. As for the person concerned about Deseret News only publishing "real news" where have you been?? There is a reason a newspaper is divided into different sections. If you only want "real news" you better just stay in the news section!! Warning...don't leave that section.... Heaven forbid Deseret News should expand themselves to include a story that would bring a smile to the face of people. And for the person who was critical of this girl "waiting" you must not have read the article carefully enough to see what interesting education she was receiving during that time. Also, what makes you think "waiting" was all she was doing? As for love goes...I "fell in love" at 15 years of age and have been happily married for well over 30 years. So, it is best if don't question how someone else feels. There, I feel better!

• Snark Provo, UT
    April 10, 2013 11:12 a.m.

byufootballrocks; there is an appropriate time and place for expounding doctrine and encouraging sound guiding principles. This article is not about teen dating protocols and certainly was not intended to be a piece in support of "steady dating." Using the contextual footnote of this couple's long relationship as an opportunity to grab a bully pulpit (with piety) neither furthers your cause (warning of the dangers of steady dating) nor takes away the luster of a fun, feel good piece. It just makes you appear stodgy and self-righteous. If anything, it could make people question your motives or ambitions. Part of the art of giving good counsel, is having the wisdom to know when and where it should be dispensed.

I am so happy for these great kids who are doing really good things.

• MrsH Altamont, UT
    April 10, 2013 11:00 a.m.

It is nice to have a human interest story once in a while. Kinda breaks up all the bad news.
    I appreciate stories like these.
    Good luck to these two kids.

• suzyk#1 Mount Pleasant, UT
    April 10, 2013 10:48 a.m.

To: Just an Observer....I'm shaking my head at your negative and slighed comment. Why can't you just be happy for someone else? I always welcome good, positive and uplifting news and this certainly filled the bill. I hope your feelings and attitude will be uplifted soon.

• hotsaucefan Bountiful, UT
    April 10, 2013 10:33 a.m.

To all who have deemed this article unworthy of being news, I would remind you that this was not published in the breaking news section, it was published in the Faith section. If you want to read about the most recent shooting, or the current economic and social issues facing our state or nation, then go read the News, Money, or Opinion section. For the rest of us that enjoy reading about encouraging, uplifting, happy, and celebratory experiences, we will continue reading the Faith section and enjoy doing so.

• PAC Phoenix, AZ
    April 10, 2013 10:23 a.m.

That is Great! Now put ring on it...

• GeoMan SALEM, OR
    April 10, 2013 9:25 a.m.

I've always assumed that the top stories are the result of how many people click on them. I could be wrong, but I think I'm right. Thus, it is a top news story because more people found the headline intriguing. Those commenting negatively apparently found it intriguing enough to read it to.
    A nice, positive human interest story. That is why I clicked.

• Dan Maloy Enid, OK
    April 10, 2013 8:57 a.m.

Wow. Lot of bitter, short-sighted people here.

I, for one, proposed to my wife in a very public setting....at a church dance in front of 300 people with the participation of all 300 people. It was a blast. My only regret was I didn't videotape it.

My advice to this soon-to-be-couple is ignore those here with small minds and smaller hearts.

Marry. Be kind to each other. Be happy.

• Kitenoa Salt Lake City, UT
    April 10, 2013 7:59 a.m.

Cute story, good luck to the couple. I hope this unusual homecoming celebration will sustain their dream marriage happily thereafter; and not the match makers' fantasies...

• Uncle Vic El Dorado Hills, CA
    April 10, 2013 7:35 a.m.

OK, for all those that asked why this had to be listed as Top News, I get the Deseret News e-mail most every day, and THIS story was the only story I read in the e-mail from that day. So blame me, and people like me, because I'm the customer they were trying to please.

Thanks for publishing that, Deseret News, I enjoyed it.

• Bifftacular Spanish Fork, Ut
    April 9, 2013 10:18 p.m.

This is going to be one awkward video in two years when they've both married someone else.

• Owl Salt Lake City, UT
    April 9, 2013 9:53 p.m.

Nice human interest story, thanks. It appears that some DN readers have had a bad day and want the same for others.

• Oatmeal Woods Cross, UT
    April 9, 2013 8:17 p.m.

She should have been working on her education. YW should never "wait." They should make the RM's run to catch with them!

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    April 9, 2013 8:03 p.m.

"I didn't put any restrictions on Brittany..." he said.

Huh?

Somebody thinks he's in love but doesn't really know what love is.

• Sentinel Ogden, UT
    April 9, 2013 8:00 p.m.

Cute little story. But, I, too, do not understand how this constitutes news that shows up in the feed as one of the most important news stories. How is that? It is a story that easily fits into the Church's magazines. But, in a newspaper? One that is supposed to actually give us news? I am disappointed in the Deseret News for the decision to run this cute little vignette of life. Come on people. Newspapers are to disseminate news, real news. Not little stories about people jumping out of boxes after having been gone for two years.

• byufootballrocks Herndon, VA
    April 9, 2013 5:50 p.m.

Re: Josey Wales and those who choose to judge the messenger:

I wasn't "pointing out the bad." You only get 200 words here. Please don't gainsay what I chose to focus on. I mean no ill will toward this couple and wish them well.

What I was pointing out is that stories such as this can be misjudged by our youth who sometimes are misled to believe that they are in the minority among LDS youth when they choose to follow the Prophet in dating matters.

It's a wonderful thing that they are getting married and that he served his mission.

Nevertheless our youth are being counseled to put off serious relationships and pairing off until they are in college and preferably when the young man is back from his mission. To emphasize this story in my view creates confusion. It's right there from the First Presidency in "For the Strength of Youth." President Packer said it, President Hinckley more than once; it's the emphasis in our Church magazines, and on lds.org. I don't know how our leaders could be clearer.

Our youth have every reason to feel good about waiting to get serious.

• Phillip M Hotchkiss Malta, Mt
    April 9, 2013 5:34 p.m.

Lighten up people. It was fun reading about Josh in the box.the people leaving negative remarks reads to much off the bad that goes on to laugh at people who love life and each other

• Eugz Philippines, 00
    April 9, 2013 4:44 p.m.

I don't see anything wrong with that... Those who gave negative comment, to be judgmental! That attitude isn't good for us being an "LDS". Rather, be happy for this couple. I can see through this video that they will going to have a healthy family (eternally).

This video will serve as a very good example to every young couples out there who will going to be far away with each other for 2 years serving in Full-Time Mission. This video will encouraged them how they will endure with their relationships...

Gosh, there are still a lot of negative thinkers out there even you have the Gospel in your life already...

For Josh and Britt, I am happy for you... You're such an encouraging couple...

• suzyk#1 Mount Pleasant, UT
    April 9, 2013 4:21 p.m.

I for one, felt this was a most uplifting and fun article. I am so happy for them and there is no reason why anyone, unless unhappy with their own situation would begrudge this happy young couple.
    A couple that is not sexually active, just faithful children of God of whom is very pleased with their choices. Good for them - I hope they will have a very healthy, happy and rewarding life together.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    April 9, 2013 3:29 p.m.

Gah! Embarrassing.

• joseywales Park City, UT
    April 9, 2013 2:45 p.m.

Awesome, good for them! Why do some people want to hate on a happy ending story? byufootballrocks wants to point out all the bad, instead of liking the good. Sadly, that is the problem with many members of this faith. Very judgmental and they want everyone to know that they are good and those around them are sinners. very sad.

• Oncle Ticonderoga, NY
    April 9, 2013 2:19 p.m.

Loved it, to me, this is the kind of news I always want to hear. I'm 65, I know the ups and downs life can bring. These kinds of memories will help carry them through the tougher times...

• byufootballrocks Herndon, VA
    April 9, 2013 2:03 p.m.

I try to be a good person. Not against apple pie or moms. Don't mean to stir controversy. However the publication of this article was not good.

This couple's engagement sounds wonderful. However it is the clear exception rather than the rule. For that reason it should not be celebrated publicly this way.

The First Presidency recently and over the last several years counsels our youth strongly: "Avoid steady dating" in high school.

For every single happy ending for those who disregard this counsel, there have been numerous tragedies. President Hinckley said of teenage romancers: "The longer a couple are together, the more likely they are to get in trouble." Meaning transgression. When you pair off like this the only options are either to marry or ultimately start having problems. Only the blind would disagree with our Prophets and Apostles' counsel.

Each says "I'm the exception." It's a deception. We can easily fall for "airplane syndrome." Airline transportation has proven safer than automobiles. When one crashes that incident gets all the attention. The few couples (a huge minority) who disregard the counsel and successfully thread the needle this way ought not be applauded.

• Monk Pleasant Grove, UT
    April 9, 2013 1:54 p.m.

Boooorrrrriiiiinnnnggggggg!!! Why is this news?

• UU32 Bountiful, UT
    April 9, 2013 1:15 p.m.

This is dumb. Why promote this kind of thing in the DesNews?

• Just an Observer Salt Lake City, UT
    April 9, 2013 12:34 p.m.

Hmmm. Nice little puff piece, but does it qualify as news that needs to be on the Top Stories list? And yes, I'm LDS. Happy to share the Gospel, happy to counter same-gender "equal rights" talk, etc. Just... don't use a slow news days as an excuse to put this in the Top Stories.

• UteNationAlum Cottonwood Heights, UT
    April 9, 2013 12:14 p.m.

Mormon's rock! That was legit. Good work Elder!