Sports

Utes football: Utah coach Kyle Whittingham says Utes made progress in scrimmage

Comments

• BigCougar Bountiful, UT
    April 10, 2013 3:03 p.m.

@FAshionPolice

That's a pretty good prediction. I saw one pre-season magazine that had a worst case scenario of 2-10 and a best case scenario of 5-7.

Based on how their suspect offense and brand new OL carved up their defensive front seven for 11 TD's in the scrimmage I would suspect that the 2-10 is more likely.

I wonder how many losing seasons in a row can they sustain before it's like 2005 again and they're clamoring for Kyle's head on a platter?

• Fashion Police Olympus Cove, Utah
    April 9, 2013 11:11 p.m.

Striker

"all you want is to win 33% of PAC games?"

Winning 33% may be on the high end of expectations:

Utah State - toss up
    Weber State - win
    Oregon State - loss
    at Brigham Young - loss
    UCLA - loss
    Stanford - loss
    at Arizona - loss
    at USC - loss
    Arizona State - loss
    at Oregon - loss
    at Washington State - probable loss
    Colorado - toss up

With the loss of most of Utah's key players on offense and defense, a 4-8 or 3-9 season is very possible.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    April 9, 2013 6:27 p.m.

Just Wondering said... "...why I can't find any negative comments from Cougars here?"

Who needs a BYU fan to say anything? You Ute fans have said plenty! LOL

"11-25 for 146 with 2 picks. Yuck." (my favorite by the way!)
    "yet we lost 3 starters off last years terrible line."
    "None of his Spring numbers have impressed me,"
    "We have too many issues on both sides of the ball to be a great team"
    "We lost a LOT of top Defensive players last year to graduation, and have some additional projected starters already out of the lineup due to injury."
    "I hope that when season comes they will be on the same page"
    "Many questions on defense, a lot of injuries right now."

Looks to be a pandemic of panic attack going on this Spring in Uteville!

• Sambonethegreat Logan, UT
    April 9, 2013 5:38 p.m.

@Striker

Utah undeniably has BYU's number. I would be shocked if the Utes didn't beat the Y.

• pocyUte Pocatello, ID
    April 9, 2013 4:10 p.m.

Vet,

Your comments were spot on. Looking forward to a repeat of 2011 in RES this year. Also looking forward to seeing what this year's team can do this year. It's time to put it all together and really challenge in the south. Can't wait for football season to start.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    April 9, 2013 1:34 p.m.

Striker:

"BYU returns its OC who kept BYU in the top 25 and can really put up points."

Well I suppose that's ONE way of putting it. ANOTHER way would be that the cougars return its OC who they ran out of town 2 yrs ago following a 7-6 campaign that WOULD have been a 5-7 one had they not stuffed their alumni up in the Replay Booth during the San Diego St. game.

Meanwhile, Utah debuts our OWN OC, who won 2 national championships, and 3 "Pac-10 Coach of the Year" awards.

Edge: Utah.

"[The cougars] will have most of their #3 defense back. Your blindness is hilarious."

But the cougars WON'T be lining up opposite most of their traditional weak-WAC opponent offenses either. YOUR blindness is even MORE hilarious.

"Also, all you want is to win 33% of PAC games?"

No. We "want" to win 100% of our games. We just don't "expect" that we will. Afterall, we ARE playing @ Oregon and @ USC. And that's in addition to our games vs. Oregon St, UCLA, and Stanford. Plus ASU seems to always have our number.

• Wookie Omaha, NE
    April 9, 2013 12:36 p.m.

It is interesting to compare and contrast Erickson's comments to Johnson's comments. I'm sure we will be doing this all year. I hope that when season comes they will be on the same page so that any comparisons yield similar results.

GO UTES!!

• Striker Omaha, NE
    April 9, 2013 8:16 a.m.

"We have 2 easy non conference games, and then a tough one with Utah State. So if we can win all 3, then we only need to win 33% of our PAC 12 games to be bowl eligible. "

USU is Utah's tough game? HAHAHAHA! You are kidding I hope. All the comments are discussing how awful the offense could still be. Playing BYU will be a cake walk huh? BYU returns its OC who kept BYU in the top 25 and can really put up points. They will have most of their #3 defense back. Your blindness is hilarious.

Also, all you want is to win 33% of PAC games? My how some Utah fans have low expectations!

• Papa Smurf UTE Herriman, UT
    April 8, 2013 5:34 p.m.

I really hope that Wilson is the guy for the next 3 years so we can have a stable QB back there that gets a lot of game reps. None of his Spring numbers have impressed me, and he didn't do anything the last 6 games of last year that made me want to jump for joy. Granted, he was a freshman and still will be a freshman this year in games played, but he needs to improve, and improve fast. The UTES need to be more consistent on offense and it starts with having a stable OC and a good QB. I hope Erickson is the OC, and that Wilson is the QB. We have too many issues on both sides of the ball to be a great team, but I think that we have a few good pieces coming back that we could get to 7 or 8 wins. We have 2 easy non conference games, and then a tough one with Utah State. So if we can win all 3, then we only need to win 33% of our PAC 12 games to be bowl eligible. GO UTES!!!!

• canadiancougar624 Raymond, 00
    April 6, 2013 6:30 p.m.

11 touchdowns is crazy! I know it's only spring ball but still..

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    April 6, 2013 2:53 p.m.

I love that the Offense appears to finally be able to move the ball, but I can never really tell if it's because of improvements on that side of the ball, or due to the attrition on the the other. We lost a LOT of top Defensive players last year to graduation, and have some additional projected starters already out of the lineup due to injury. The first team's ability to move the ball vs. inexperienced 2nd team defenders should be a given. Wilson and Schulz getting picked off 4 times should not.

• Just Wondering... Gilbert, AZ
    April 6, 2013 12:24 p.m.

...why I can't find any negative comments from Cougars here?

• ekute Layton, UT
    April 6, 2013 11:45 a.m.

The O-line is much improved, more size, muscle and athleticism. They definitely look like a Pac12 O-line. We're also strong at receivers and tight ends. Many questions on defense, a lot of injuries right now. Most of that will be resolved this fall. As things are right now, the Utes can still breeze through their preseason schedule. Go Utes.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    April 6, 2013 11:06 a.m.

Easy does it UteJunky, it's Spring practice.

• UteJunky70 midvale, UT
    April 6, 2013 10:49 a.m.

Wow, not to impressed with Wilsons numbers. 11-25 for 146 with 2 picks. Yuck. We heard so many great things about the offense going into each of the last 2 seasons. Same thing now. The fact of the matter is we won't know anything until that 1st game against USU.

I also find it interesting that we hear all this hype about how much better this O-line is and yet we lost 3 starters off last years terrible line. 2 of those starters received consistent high praise from the coaches,(Brenner and Tevita Stevens). Now were hearing how we just didn't have Pac-12 caliber talent on the O-line, and I agree with that statement. My point is the coaches send mixed messages. O-line was the single least prepared position group for the transition to the Pac-12.

I truly hope we have across the board improvement on the O-line because it is the key to the entire offense. I just don't know if we can trust what our coaches tell us anymore

• Carson Provo, UT
    April 6, 2013 10:02 a.m.

I just can't wait for the season to start!