U.S. & World

Complaint: Plane diverted, passengers removed after asking to turn off 'inappropriate' movie

Comments

• Casey Ryback Chapel Hill, NC
    April 28, 2013 6:24 a.m.

1. Movie in poor taste. Lousy choice.

2. Reminds one of opening scene in movie "Anger Management." Just asking a question to worker today, you get called al-Quida. Insane.

3. Had an experience like in (2), worker refused to follow basic request. Afterwards, sent letter to CEO. That worker no longer works at the store. Not my fault -- his fault for refusing to honor a basic request. That's on him.

• snowman Provo, UT
    April 10, 2013 11:43 a.m.

The 2nd amendments has no limits on it.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    April 10, 2013 10:31 a.m.

"Alex Cross is a totally inappropriate movie to show on an airplane."

Sometimes I wish you all were as zealous about limits on the second amendment as you are on the first.

• SLC gal Salt Lake City, UT
    April 10, 2013 8:43 a.m.

Interesting that the family was kicked off the flight for being in the wrong - but United is now fully investigating their in-flight entertainment.... hmmmmm

• JRO35 Eagle Mountain, UT
    April 8, 2013 10:10 p.m.

Power trip on the Captain's part. How humiliating for this family, just trying to do the right thing.

• Superfluous Anaheim, CA
    April 7, 2013 7:48 p.m.

What would they do if you complained about the food....call the CIA or shoot you?

• chinamom Cottonwood Heights, UT
    April 7, 2013 5:49 a.m.

We fly UA on a 12+ hour flight RT two times a year (been doing this for 20 years!).. Each time we board the plane my kids look at the movie selections and then ask me which they can watch. The inappropriateness of the films for "general viewing" has been a problem for years. In Coach, you cannot "opt out" or switch channels like you can in Business/1st class. I have noticed over the years that the selection has changed from "multiple g or pg" movies to mostly pg-13 & R rated choices. They are supposedly edited for "older general audiences", but as a parent of 5 children, I can say that I don't always agree that what is left in is "appropriate" for young children, tweens & teens. I agree that UA, along with all the other airlines, needs to spend a bit more time considering what movies they will show and how they are edited.

• Veronica ,
    April 7, 2013 12:27 a.m.

I agree with the other comments that the crew should be fired for not listening to the customer's concerns. The captain should've addressed this situation by talking to the passengers before making such a drastic move as to divert the plane to remove those passengers involved. Where is the quality service these days. Airlines is no different from restaurants and department stores. You have the freedom to choose who you want to fly on and this incident is not one to encourage me to fly on United Airlines.

• deeisme United States, UT
    April 6, 2013 9:47 p.m.

@Mark,

My goodness, why are you being so reactionary about my remarks? There have been comments here that have depicted selfish and rude attitudes and that was what I was referring to. Hardly an attack on anyone specific, more of a concern for the callous attitudes shown by some members of society that have been voiced here and other places. I will not name names but I think you will find some comments here have been quite selfish in nature (eg. nut comments). Yes, I stand by my comments and believe there are some members of our society who need to be taught standards, compassion, morals etc. Can you honestly look at society as a whole or some comments here and tell me this is an incorrect statement? (You even agreed the movie was inappropriate.)

If there were people on that flight who felt the story was not being accurately depicted you can be sure they would be speaking to someone. They might only speak to a friend for example but eventually the story would come out and the media would run with it. That has not happened.

The airline continuing to fly that family also says a great deal.

• deeisme United States, UT
    April 6, 2013 8:17 p.m.

@Mark,
    I am well aware the quote is from the parents and you are correct we are only hearing one side of things and will not likely hear much information from the airline. However, there were lots of other passengers on that plane and what I do not hear are stories that conflict. If there were a conflicting story out there you can be sure somebody would be reporting it.

Another thing to consider is that United made arrangements for the family to continue their journey. If there had genuinely been a security issue as claimed and if the captain had acted appropriately in landing the plane and having the family escorted off the plane and questioned by the F.B.I. would it not be the responsibility of the family to find a way home or to their destination not the airline? If you are the cause for a plane having to be diverted and require removal for security reasons it is no longer the airline's responsibility to get you to where you are going, is it?

Was the way the airline handled things after the fact telling of what truly happened on that plane?

• Truthseeker SLO, CA
    April 6, 2013 8:17 p.m.

Usually the movie screens on planes drop down automatically. I'm not sure an individual screen could be retracted manually without damaging it or the system. Anybody know?

Here's what the pilot should've done:

Told the flight attendants to turn off the movie.
    Explained to the passengers the movie was being turned off because some passengers found it unacceptable for their children and if they had a problem with shutting it off they could:
    a) Let him know when the flight was over
    b) Write a complaint to United Airlines
    c) complain to the passengers sitting in row 21 seats d and e
    f) all of the above

• JWB Kaysville, UT
    April 6, 2013 4:14 p.m.

Airlines get graded on baggage handling and delays. Morality should also be an issue but we don't want to have the government get involved on that as they will be like the marijuana, marriage and other forms that government is involved with in religion of choice. They have made our religion the government and not God.

Anything to demoralize our youth that are subjective to the captivity of being on an aircraft where everything is open and choice is cut out of it. I remember living in Mississippi in the 1970s and involved with trying to get the television stations to show more family oriented programs. Several of those stations came back with letters saying to not listen to their station as they wouldn't change. That was in the southern Bible belt area. Media has not been friendly to families and it is 100s of times worse now with media and the propaganda they put out. We used to be worried about the Pravda propaganda the Communists put out but we are being captive on airplanes with what the media and airlines put out.

Put the frog into the cold water and turn on the heat. Cooked.

• iron&clay RIVERTON, UT
    April 6, 2013 4:08 p.m.

When the wicked rule, the people mourn.

• bob j Maryborough, 00
    April 6, 2013 3:41 p.m.

My wife and myself have been more fortunate. In the first instance, we were guests at a private party during which a film was shown, the contents of which - in parts - were far below our standards of living. We therefore just got up and walked out. It was later that we learned that others had followed our example.
    The second time was at a film being shown to elderly and retired people. There we also left when the showing became unsuitable.
    I am now 95, and looking back I can recall when going to the movies meant that the film was a treat to watch - alas, not always so these days. It is good that there are some DVD movies of those days and that we can choose to our liking.
    LDS. Bob J. Maryborough, Queensland.

• mark Salt Lake City, UT
    April 6, 2013 2:03 p.m.

deeisme, you might want to consider that the quote you provide is from the person that was removed from the plane. You realize that perhaps this person is trying to minimize their own actions? No? It seems that there is more to this story that the parents that were removed aren't telling. I would love to hear from the flight attendants and captain about their side. But most likely they will never tell it publicly. So we just get one side.

As far as the movie I would have just had my kid do something else. And complained to the airline afterwards, if the attendant can't help me right then.

With that said, the choice of playing Alex Cross by the airline was wrong. I wonder how movies get selected. I just went and read about the movie and the movie plot sounds terrible, it also got terrible reviews. Are their no better movies? And also taking content into account in a setting like this is neccesary. This is pretty much a captive audience with screens put basically right in front if them.

• one old man Ogden, UT
    April 6, 2013 1:30 p.m.

Mark from Montana -- that is an absolutely GREAT comment!

• New to Utah PAYSON, UT
    April 6, 2013 1:21 p.m.

This is clearly abusive action and United should pay dearly for it. Those involved were breaking every rule in the book as to customer service. The diversion to Chicago was so over the top that it begs any justifiable reason. United screwed up big time and it should pay.

• Goldies Pa Hurricane/Washington, UT
    April 6, 2013 1:08 p.m.

And airlines wonder why some of us will do just about ANYTHING to get out of flying commercially. I think they should get the lowest, dirtiest, scumbag lawyer they can find, and sue the heck out of the airline!

• Hauulamom Hauula, HI
    April 6, 2013 1:06 p.m.

I hope this makes a change and airlines more carefully consider their movies. It is not just the rating of the movie that needs to be considered - but the non-verbal content. It is easy to eliminate the auditory portion of the move but not so much the visual. When my daughter was three we were assigned "bulkhead" seats with the large screen just beyond arm's reach. We did not get headsets and I did my best to distract her. She didn't seem at all interested in the movie- but it is hard to totally and consistently ignore a very large screen planted in your face. When the movie depicted the chasing, kidnapping, and rough handling of a young child my daughter glanced up and was so disturbed by the film that she was in tears and very concerned that "They are going to hurt the boy!” I got up, explained the situation to the stewardesses and asked to be moved to another seat where the back of the seat in front of us would block my daughter's view. They refused to even try to reseat us.

• TheWalker Saratoga Springs, UT
    April 6, 2013 1:08 p.m.

Find a lawyer and sue. Then United will listen, but not before then.

Unbelievable.

• deeisme United States, UT
    April 6, 2013 12:50 p.m.

Those responding negatively to this article and the parents may wish to consider: "Everyone involved: The FBI agent, the police officers, United employees, the passengers around us and (we were told) some of the crew, were incredulous, and explicit in their condemnation of (the captain's) actions."

If those directly involved in the matter were “incredulous” with how the matter was handled, what does that say about those here or elsewhere who are not? The level of selfishness and rudeness shown in some comments here and elsewhere are saddening examples of how some segments of our society need to be taught morality, standards, respect, empathy and compassion.

• deeisme United States, UT
    April 6, 2013 12:42 p.m.

We have movie rating systems for a reason. A responsible adult understands the developing mind of a child should not be bombarded with certain types of images or information. This is also not only a matter of these particular parent’s opinions, others on the plane agreed the material was inappropriate for children.

The screens were a drop down type meant to provide viewing for more than one row of people. The children could glance at any time and witness something terrible that could never be erased from their memory. Why would there be a time when parents would have to be concerned about that in a setting like an airplane?

Some have stated the parents could have covered the screen. One can only imagine the reaction of the airline staff if the parents had physically reacted. Attempting to resolve the matter verbally resulted in the plane being landed and the parents escorted off by police and questioned by the F.B.I.

• Howard Beal Provo, UT
    April 6, 2013 12:17 p.m.

Most people want the captain to fly the plane, not diffuse situations...I think this would be the job of the flight attendants...

• crawfordzoo Barstow, CA
    April 6, 2013 12:14 p.m.

If the flight crew had done what they were supposed to do instead of denying that they could do it, the whole hoopla could have been avoided. The screens can be folded up - no one objected to it. So why didn't they just accommodate the family? I have been on a plane with a real disturbance. I shudder to think how the captain would have handled that. I am not a litigious person, but I hope this family sues the pants off United.

• JWB Kaysville, UT
    April 6, 2013 12:06 p.m.

It is amazing that the flight attendants and the flight crew, Captain, would have interpreted this request by the parents to be a security issue. It shows you how insidious that our morality has become. We have become so politically correct in anything that is dealing with immorality that people with morals are despised, ridiculed and even made a spectacle out of for trying to protect their children's morals. We have become a twisted nation and it will not become any easier for people to assert their righteousness as the great and spacious building's occupants will chide those that do.

• Runforyourlife Salt Lake City, UT
    April 6, 2013 11:53 a.m.

I will not fly Jetblue due to the service dog being forced under a passenger seat and dying... And now United can join the list due to this. My question is, this is PG-13, were there an y children under 13 years old on the flight? Most likely yes, if parents of said children didn't authorize it to be played, it shouldn't have been played. What is the point of a rating system then??!

• Brady4luv Laie, HI
    April 6, 2013 11:50 a.m.

I was at a children's pool on a cruise ship with several grandchildren when the overhead speaker played a song with extreme profanity. I reported it to the customer service desk in the most polite manner, reassuring them that I felt sure they would not want the great reputation they held for family friendly vacations jeopardized. They were unaware the song was even being broadcast. They thanked me and sent treats to our stateroom. I remain a loyal customer.

• Bomar22 Roberts, ID
    April 6, 2013 11:28 a.m.

Because of BAD customer service and flight crew on a United flight in 1994, I made the decision to NEVER fly United again. We have options, or did before the recent mergers, and should let our $$$ vote who we patronize.

• ronnie sandy, utah
    April 6, 2013 11:04 a.m.

The Captain is at fault and could have diffused the problem. Shame on him, he over reacted.

• RN4moms Bountiful, UT
    April 6, 2013 10:48 a.m.

Kudos to this family for their courage to stand up for their very reasonable convictions!. Shame on United Airlines. I, for one, will never fly that airline in the future due to the way this family was treated. I want no part of putting my life in the hands of reactionary crew, (even and most importantly the pilot), who are clearly out of line and not motivated by good; bowing to the supposed needs of others to view evil. Is it any wonder society has deteriorated to the degree that mass murders and ongoing individual crimes are rampant? This action reinforces people who have violent natures (maybe the pilot himself?). In the air, of all places, we should promote peaceful, calm themes in entertainment, passengers and crew. Those who must view their own violence personally can do so on their private devices, though we should be as worried about that as we are about possible weapons coming on board. Why would we want to expose passengers to such themes, putting all at risk?

• Truthseeker SLO, CA
    April 6, 2013 10:45 a.m.

Here's a suggestion:

People with children should consider flying USAir. They don't show movies on domestic flights.

• plyxply SLC, UT
    April 6, 2013 10:40 a.m.

United Airlines needs to fire this captain and incompetent stewardesses. They are obviously not qualified to work with people who have some morals and want to raise their children properly.
    I will not fly United again, they've lost my business.

• Beaver Native Garland, UT
    April 6, 2013 10:12 a.m.

Several commentators have said that the couple asked to speak to the captain, something that the story does not state. The article only states that the couple asked the flight attendant was asked if the captain had the authority to turn off the movie and that they asked the name of the captain. If it were true that they were causing a disturbance worthy of the FBI's attention, I think that charges would have been filed and the family would not have been put on another flight.

A review I read states that the movie was "rated PG-13 for violence including disturbing images, sexual content, language, drug references, and nudity" and that the soundtrack included "Got My Eyes on Ya Body". Even an edited version would clearly have been inappropriate for children and parents cannot always control straying eyes. United should have anticipated the potentiality of passenger concerns and made policy and/or designs that would have accommodated passengers who had concerns about the content. Such accommodations would hardly be expensive to implement and would increase customer satisfaction and profitability.

• CARL South Salt Lake, UT
    April 6, 2013 10:05 a.m.

Some other airlines have screen on the seat-backs and more choices to pick from. Too bad that United has not progressed to modern way like I-Pad type of watching movies.

• twspears6007 Bakersfield, CA
    April 6, 2013 9:49 a.m.

This is a shame there are no family appropriate movies coming from Hollywood the standard has been lost since the 1960's. The attached rating of movies like G,PG,and R are gateways for Hollywood to include content at their will. The Theaters and Airlines show movies that are violent, sexual, steaming with profanity with no reguard for morality. Sincerely, Trenton

• JoeBlow Far East USA, SC
    April 6, 2013 9:30 a.m.

If what is described is actually the extent of the story, then United comes off looking very bad.

I will withhold judgement until both sides weigh in.
    It costs lots of money to divert, land and then take off again.

I have a hunch that there is more to the story than we are getting.

• Forrestc Greenway, AR
    April 6, 2013 9:18 a.m.

A passenger plane should NEVER show movies rated above PG UNLESS the movies are shown on individual screens and can be turned off/on by each passenger. This is totally outrageous and I am so very disappointed in the response by United Airlines.

• nosaerfoecioveht NSL, UT
    April 6, 2013 8:41 a.m.

It costs a LOT of money in jet fuel for one of these aircraft to divert and make an unplanned landing, and then take off again. A settlement could cost the airline much more. I hope this captain feels as silly as he looks.

• WillTheWolf SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    April 6, 2013 8:18 a.m.

This is only one side of the story . . . the passengers' side . . . you did not get UAL's side. A friend of mine who works at UAL as a flight attendant told me about this incident a couple of weeks ago and the passengers were not as cooperative as they claim. As far as the movie goes; I'm all in favor of designating an area in the back of the plane with a wall separating it from the general area for families with small & young children. That should solve this type of problem in the future, as well as the problem of an unruly child being disruptive to the other adult passengers on the plane.

• DC Alexandria, VA
    April 6, 2013 8:03 a.m.

Hutterite, you do realize that these parents had no idea that the in flight movie was going to be Alex cross - they had no chance to make a choice for their kids. Now yes, if I was on a flight with my kids and it came on, I'd give them the ipad and put on a movie for them, but there is little I can do to prevent them from looking up at the film.

• Uncle Rico Provo, UT
    April 6, 2013 7:55 a.m.

Has any high school graduate ever liked a Tyler Perry movie?

• BBLVR Bountiful, UT
    April 6, 2013 7:53 a.m.

Anyone heard of a coloring book and crayons, I'm getting tired of parents blaming others the teachers, the schools, in this case United. No one forced ear phones on their precious ones or made them stare at a 13 in. screen. It is starting to sound like someone trying to make a buck from a lawsuit. Nothing like making a mountain out of a molehill.

• Paloma10 Salt Lake City, UT
    April 6, 2013 7:52 a.m.

This could have been handled with the back cover of the in flight magazine and a piece of tape. Too bad McGiver wasn't on the flight..

• Mountanman Hayden, ID
    April 6, 2013 7:48 a.m.

United Airlines needs to be taught a lesson! Then need to be shown who actually pays their salaries!

• JBQ Saint Louis, MO
    April 6, 2013 7:36 a.m.

Nice article. Sad story. DeseretNews, to their credit, appears to have many stories with a "moral theme". That would mean that most others do not.

• Albert Maslar CPA (Retired) Absecon, NJ
    April 6, 2013 7:36 a.m.

America is no longer the haven it was to the settlers who came here because of religious intolerance they were subjected to in the Old World.

• Wingnut1 USA, UT
    April 6, 2013 7:16 a.m.

It is amazing to see the negative response whenever someone tries to have integrity. What is this world coming to?

• Mugabe ACWORTH, GA
    April 6, 2013 6:41 a.m.

The captain of the Airplane acted appropriately. His job is not only to fly the plane, but ensure the safety of the passengers. The employees working the cabin, reported that an unhappy passenger wanted to speak with him (The captain). The captain had no way of knowing what the passenger attitude was, nor their mental state. He followed proper procedures. As for turning the passengers over to proper authorities, had he not done that and the people got injured or robbed, assaulted, then he would have been liable.

I don't think that that was the first case in which those children had been exposed to improper media content. Many parents allow their children to watch movies like, the Walking Dead, Harry Potter, Twilight, etc, etc, and they probably have cable in their home. In my opinion, the inconvenience was posed upon the other passengers, for having the flight diverted to another destination because of those parents.

• Max Charlotte, NC
    April 6, 2013 6:34 a.m.

I fly 10-15 times a year and have been amazed at how clueless the airlines can be in their their choices of movies and TV shows. After one flight in particular that showed a movie and then a TV show with VERY strong sexual content, I wrote the airline. I was very glad I was not flying with my kids and felt sorry for those who were. What is most disturbing is that there are so many people out there nowadays who just don't understand this issue at all. They think kids are the same as adults and there is no reason to shield these things from them. I hope United and other airlines finally get the message. Also, I hope this pilot is severely reprimanded. This was about the dumbest thing he could have done. This man clearly lacks the judgement to be in charge of an aircraft. Back to co-pilot for him.

• RBB Sandy, UT
    April 6, 2013 6:06 a.m.

Truthseeker - keep seeking the truth, like the fact that the people in the adjacent seats agreed that the movie was inappropriate for the children. The screen could have been folded up, but the flight attendants refused. The parents asked for a reasonable accommodation and were refused. Up to that point, there is room for disagreement on the proper course of action. Diverting the plane to Chicago to take them off was simply ridiculous and shows the lack of common sense which is pervades our society. Unfortunately, this type of attitude is common on U.S. airlines. That is why I make every effort I can to fly a foreign carrier when possible. I will take AirFrance, British Airways or AirAustral any day over any U.S. carrier.

• SouthernBaptist Jackson, TN
    April 6, 2013 5:51 a.m.

If they won't close it YOU reach up and close it!!

• DRay Roy, UT
    April 6, 2013 5:33 a.m.

Just flew Allegiant, only inconvenience was that the total check in time was more than the 1 1/2 hr flight itself, as they ask or suggest being there to check in 2 hrs before take-off time....Henceforth I will drive the distance, and enjoy the trip more.

• cpafred SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    April 6, 2013 12:37 a.m.

Movies in the main cabin are edited for content and headphones/earbuds must be used to hear movies. No normal, competent parents would have made this the big deal that they did.

• cjb Bountiful, UT
    April 5, 2013 11:56 p.m.

Remind me not to lodge any complaints on United airlines.

• formetoknow PAYSON, UT
    April 5, 2013 11:06 p.m.

I'll file this in my "I need the rest of the story" file. This story doesn't pass the smell test.

• ParkCityAggie Park City, Ut
    April 5, 2013 11:04 p.m.

First let me start out by saying that I am the father of three young children. With that said, am I the one who sees things a bit differently here? I think the actions of the parents were quite immatuer and downright inappropriate; to be asking to speak with a pilot, who was busy flying the plane. Who do these people think they are? I can think of a myriad of more appropriate retioanl responses to this type of situation: First, find something else to distract your kids. These days what parent doesn't travel w/o a few books for the kiddies? How about talking to the kids? It's not like you are at a movie theator and you have to listen to the movie, no you have to put in headphones. I've seen many airline movies, they are always edited for a basic TV audience, it's not like these poor young kids were being exposed some taudry sex scenes/ltra violence. Hardly. The parents acted as if only they were the only ones on that plan who's oppions mattered. Even if those around them agreed wtih them, they acted selfishly and immature.

• Shaden Lincoln, NE
    April 5, 2013 10:50 p.m.

Hutterite,
    Speaking as one with an 18 month old daughter who is severely allergic to peanuts, I resent your insensitive comment. Generally, people are kind enough to refrain from eating nuts on a plane because they know that doing so could prove fatal to an innocent child like my little girl. If people like you gripe and complain about a mild inconvenience like that, there's something seriously wrong. Shame on you.

• OCoug Ogden, UT
    April 5, 2013 10:24 p.m.

You would think with the current economic conditions that United would be smart enough to realize that the age old adage has never been more true: The customer is right. Maybe the captain was having a bad day, I guess that makes it okay to ruin a families trip/plans.

United better make some wholesale changes. I will think twice before flying with them.

• Stay the Course Salt Lake City, utah
    April 5, 2013 10:17 p.m.

UteMiguel
    I see you don't know our friend the Hutterite I have read many articles on Desnews and the comments as well. I have yet to read a positive comment from Hutterite just negative ones especially as it relates to religion etc.

• Truthseeker SLO, CA
    April 5, 2013 10:15 p.m.

Well, i guess i've been flying on the wrong airline because, except for trips abroad, i haven't flown on a plane in the past few years that offered movies on domestic flights. But my experience is quality of the overhead movies is marginal. One has to use ear buds to hear the movie as well. Alex Cross is rated PG-13. How bad can just the video portion be?

I would've gotten my kids involved in something else, maybe asked to sit in seats as far away from the screens as possible, if necessary. Most kids that age would be way more entertained by a handheld game than a movie they can't hear. But making a big fuss sure would spark the kids interest in the movie. So the family wanted to deny all the other people traveling on the flight (mostly adults) from viewing the movie? When the flight attendents couldn't/wouldn't conform to their request they thought it important that the pilot intervene?

Re:Hutterite

Some people are exquisitely allergic to tree nuts or peanuts. In an enclosed system where the air is re-circulated it can be life or death.

• Mark from Montana Aurora, CO
    April 5, 2013 10:02 p.m.

Maudine....."Alex Cross is a totally inappropriate movie to show on an airplane."

What!

You are trying to sensor what others can see? Have you no shame?

People should be able, should be allowed, to watch whatever they want on the airplane. Why should my right to watch what I choose, not matter how bad or in poor taste it is by infringed upon by anyone else?

I have the right to view whatever garbage I want to see......and of course you have the right to vomit all over my lap.

Ipecac for everyone!

(In case there is any doubt, what I have written above is dripping in sarcasm)

• Beaver Native Garland, UT
    April 5, 2013 9:24 p.m.

I appreciate the article. Now I'll know to never fly United. I wouldn't have watched it, let alone let little children watch it. Considering no voices were raised and no threats were made and most people would have considered the movie inappropriate for children, diverting the flight, kicking the people off and having the FBI meet them at the gate were all overkill. The captain should be fired as well as the person who picked the movie for in-flight viewing.

• UteMiguel Go Utes, CA
    April 5, 2013 8:57 p.m.

Hutterite,
    I'm not allergic to peanuts, nor is anyone in my family, but you sound like a very selfish and uncaring individual. I assume you've never needed (and never will need) someone else in the world to make a small sacrifice for your benefit.

• Howard Beal Provo, UT
    April 5, 2013 8:42 p.m.

Flying (and the airlines--at least the American companies) stinks. The last good flight I had was in 1996 on Virgin Airlines. The British know how to do it.

• Balan South Jordan, Utah
    April 5, 2013 8:40 p.m.

The pilot and flight attendants should be FIRED.

• snowman Provo, UT
    April 5, 2013 8:14 p.m.

I flew United one time and will not ever again. I was stranded overnight because of stupidity on their part. They would do nothing to help me.

• Arizona1 Tucson, AZ
    April 5, 2013 8:02 p.m.

Hutterite, where on earth are you coming from? Is it so hard to avoid eating nuts for a couple hours? Do you really think it is appropriate to subject kids to that kind of 'entertainment?' And if they weren't willing to put the screen up, how willing do you think they would have been to let you drape your coat over it? United clearly violated the mores of a significant portion of society by subjecting its passengers to such a movie. In a public place where that movie was not the primary service being purchased, I think customers have every right to expect reasonable accommodations from the airline. Those unwilling to 'inconvenience' themselves for a couple of hours in such circumstances are the selfish ones--not the other way around.

• FT1/SS Virginia Beach, VA
    April 5, 2013 7:57 p.m.

The world is turned upside down with no regards to the presence of children. Seems like I always hear cussing from adults around children in public. A few times the inner sailor comes out of me and I've been firm with offenders. I see a lawsuit against United.

• Orem Parent Orem, UT
    April 5, 2013 7:49 p.m.

Just the fact that they tried to show a Tyler Perry move should mean free airfare for everyone that had to endure that garbage.

What passes for entertainment these days is pitiful.

• VA Saint Chester, VA
    April 5, 2013 7:43 p.m.

Hutterite, did you read the story? The parents did keep the children occupied and kept their eyes off of the screen after they had asked for something more family appropriate. It is not 'nuts' to expect the airlines to cater to all ages, and a violent, PG-13 movie is not an appropriate movie for that venue.

• m.g. scott clearfield, UT
    April 5, 2013 7:09 p.m.

Re: annmac

The "other site" probably had people commenting who would not object to one of todays R rated movies on an airplane, which not long ago would have garnered an X rating. Typical of the "ME Generation" attitude.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    April 5, 2013 6:15 p.m.

BYR, my point about the nuts, and the movies, is...if going out into the world is an offensive, or allergic, experience, it may be necessary to either prepare to deal with it or avoid it, rather than expect the world to meet your needs all the time. Because if you do, it may be you, not the people around you, who is making a foolish or selfish decision. If your mere existence in an aircraft or any other close environment represents a significant and unmanageable health risk, should you expect everyone else in that environment to take responsibility to manage that risk when you can't or won't? And just put a jacket over the tv screen, plug in some music, get a few beer and chill out. And give your kid a video game console with some first person shooter game on it. They'll never see the violence on the movie screen.

• annmac joliet, IL
    April 5, 2013 5:42 p.m.

I appreciate the comments on this site about this story. Having read some comments on another site, I was shocked at the viciousness aimed at the passengers involved. I agree that the film was not appropriate for any audience that included children. I have never been on a plane that was not able to fold an individual screen back up. I think the pilot was just angry that there were any complaints at all and took this occasion to make an example out of this family.

• drumboy12 New York, NY
    April 5, 2013 3:33 p.m.

I smell a settlement brewing, and it will not be pretty for United (and rightfully so).

• Maudine SLC, UT
    April 5, 2013 3:17 p.m.

Alex Cross is a totally inappropriate movie to show on an airplane.

• Wonder Provo, UT
    April 5, 2013 3:08 p.m.

It is ridiculous that they would show that movie on a flight where you couldn't opt out of seeing it. What are you going to do, blindfold your kids? An adult can just turn away or "plug in their tunes", but how can you protect your child when it's right in front of their eyes? Bad move United.

• Say No to BO Mapleton, UT
    April 5, 2013 2:55 p.m.

The reaction of United was WRONG on so many levels.
    Diverting the flight is nonsense.
    Did the captain even talk to the parents? Apparently not.
    This is a case of a badge-heavy employee out to prove himself right. He inflated the story to make the parents seem to be a threat. It worked.
    Shame on United. They need to change their entertainment if they are going to show it on communal monitors.
    I'd put them on the bottom of my list of airlines...if they weren't already there.

• BYR Woods Cross, UT
    April 5, 2013 2:41 p.m.

Hutterite, it is most fortunate that you are not allergic to nuts. As they can be life threatening at 30K feet, I appreciate the great restraint and sacrifice you made to keep the person next to safe. Very magnanimous of you.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    April 5, 2013 12:52 p.m.

Too many people on flights, and the world at large, want to be the tail that wags the dog. Recently coming back from Maui we were asked to refrain from eating nuts due to someone with an allergy. This on a plane where one of the remaining food staples is...nuts, and among fellow passengers, many of who's last airport purchase is...macadamias. Once when heading back to Japan I was forced to sit through an incredibly offensive movie. The incredible hulk. It was awful. Rather than throw a snit, however, I put on some tunes, took advantage of the then available cost free beverage service, and went about life. It can be done.