Utah

BYU study charts new territory: Can you break the cycle of obesity?

Comments

• freedomforthepeople Sandy, UT
    April 5, 2013 2:06 p.m.

I have a medical background and admit I, too, believed the medical world's "view" on obesity until there were just too many things that did not add up or make sense. The calories in/calories out hypothesis has been proven as false for nearly a decade now, and the low fat diet has proven to CAUSE obesity, not reduce it.

Hyperinsulinemia and the lack of proper gut bacteria (which turns on and off fat burning/fat storing genes) are to blame. What destroys the gut bacteria? Processed foods, especially sugar and flour and chemicals. What causes hyperinsulinemia? Our diets that we fashioned from the "food pyramid" encouraging us to eat many carbs and few proteins and even fewer fats. What did we get? An obesity epidemic!!

Exercise and and limiting carbs will regulate insulin. Eating traditional foods like kefir and yogurt (which are tolerated well by almost everyone since the lactose is predigested) can help restore the gut bacteria. Eating meats and lots of healthy fats (coconut oil, butter) help regulate calorie consumption as the brain learns how to be satiated.

We are best off not paying heed to traditional sources of "nutritional" information.

• Fern RL LAYTON, UT
    April 5, 2013 11:07 a.m.

Time is not an issue with me, a stay-at-home mom with no stay-at-home kids; nor is beauty, for me at age 64--energy and health are. Desire is important, but I wouldn't spend an exorbitant amount of money hiring a personal trainer if I didn't have the desire to change.

I have had a great desire to "Burn Fat and Build Muscle" for several years. I have enjoyed mall walking with a friend and doing it 30 minutes a day 3 or 4 days a week. Right, not enough, and self-reported, maybe not accurate. But I have also started out walking, intending to get 30 minutes, but at 20 minutes, I find myself unable to put one foot in front of the other.

The thyroid is an issue, whether the problems have to do with soy, corn, or something else. There is also not a lot of support from the medical community. If you lose weight, your thyroid is blamed, but if you gain, you ate too much.

I have a small amount of energy when I first wake up after a good night's sleep, but often go downhill pretty fast after that.

• bullet56 Olympia, WA
    April 5, 2013 10:30 a.m.

Sadly, obesity is now the legitimate way to discriminate. We are placing some of our societal frustrations on the fat backs of the obese. I have always had extra weight. In High School I was a stand out offensive lineman, but over weight, then as an adult I went to work and was still over weight. Exercise is an important component in health. I am now retired with stage 2 liver disease, and it seems no matter what I am doing with food or exercise, my liver keeps my body bloated and and obese.

• InspectorC Wasatch Front, UT
    April 5, 2013 10:03 a.m.

TO: georgeofthejungle @ 8:19 a.m.---

REPLY: Sorry, dude, but I have absolutely NO IDEA what you are saying in your post!! 8^O

I've re-read your comments a number of times, and it just gets more confusing to me.

Care to respond and clarify??

• I-am-I South Jordan, UT
    April 5, 2013 9:33 a.m.

If you didn't think this study was interesting you probably didn't read it. I've been a pretty avid fitness person for about 15 years now. This is a interesting study. Also I enjoy (sarcasm) how everyone and their dog has some miracle diet or coverall solution to fix American obesity (it's the corn! Soy! Gluten! It's ridiculous). Truth of it is that their are many variables and a lot of them have to be taken into consideration. At the very least you have to diet and exercise (2 variables, there are more but those are the basic 2)! Like obesity and decreasing exercise(as pointed out by this article) they also create a cycle that is hard to break and they support each other with a similar end goal. Please don't rant about one without the other.

• Beverly Eden, UT
    April 5, 2013 8:54 a.m.

How much money was spent to find out that fat people don't exercise as much as thin people? A little less green jello and that extra Mormon muffin could be part of the problem.

• Kellie Orem, UT
    April 5, 2013 8:52 a.m.

Soy is subsidized by the govt. So we see soy in most restaurants and foodstuffs because it brings a profit. Soy however severely blocks the Thyroid hormones so we can't burn off calories. Instead of exercising for an hour a day we should be able to exercise for 10 minutes and get the same amount of calories burned...but we keep eating that awful SOY!

• george of the jungle goshen, UT
    April 5, 2013 8:19 a.m.

I think the the most important issue is that there is no desire. Every one around them are swollen up, so the desire to be beautiful is not any concern. There is no Belief that they have to. No one expects any thing to change. No one will touch any thing like exercises. Food is so hybridized filled with corn you are not getting the nutritional value. Your brain want's more nutrition and we eat.

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    April 5, 2013 7:21 a.m.

I've lost seventy pounds in eleven months. It will come as no big surprise that this coincides with running for an hour five days a week. Getting used to the exercise wasn't the hardest part though - carving out the time to do it was.

• luv2organize Gainesville, VA
    April 5, 2013 6:21 a.m.

A couple of things. First, it should always be noted that regular exercise is as effective in dealing with mild depression or anxiety as a low does drug. Second, I have been a 150 minute a week walker, jogger, cycler for many years but I'm still 20lbs overweight. Why? Sugar. Can't break the overheating pattern I have. So, exercise is great but don't expect weight loss if you cannot put the cookies down!

• UT Brit London, England
    April 5, 2013 2:51 a.m.

You could exercise for 6 hours a day but as long as you keep eating more calories than you burn, you are not going to lose weight.

Your diet is the key to weight loss not exercise. Not that exercise is not important but if you want to break the obesity cycle, control your portions.

• Kralon HUNTINGTON BEACH, CA
    April 4, 2013 11:57 p.m.

Some comments show that people didn't read the article. This article is the first one that uses objective data and shows that instead of 50-60% of people getting 30 minutes of exercise a day it is only 10% that get 30 minutes a day.

This is important to know in planning a way to help Americans become healthier. And possibly in planning how to help people not to lie to themselves or at least begin to live in reality. lol

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    April 4, 2013 8:21 p.m.

Eat healthier, exercise more. It's not rocket science.

Good job BYU. First you proved that the manufacturers recommendations on minimalists shoes should be followed. Now these obvious facts about obesity? Well done, guys. Well done.

• IQ92 hi, UT
    April 4, 2013 7:57 p.m.

Obese people work out less. Imagine that.