Sports

BYU football: Secondary a mixed bag nearing the end of spring practices

Comments

• uteBusters Park City, UT
    April 9, 2013 11:37 a.m.

chrissy

"Mediocre in the Pac 12 or another BCS league is a a million times better than a mediocre independent or mediocre WAC team."

Unfortunately, you're not even mediocre in the PAC 10.2. You're a bottom-dwelling punching bag for the big boys of the conference.

Reality is that being a Top 25, bowl winning Independent is a million times better than being a bottom dwelling couch potato during bowl week.

• NevadaCoug Overton, NV
    April 5, 2013 8:29 p.m.

Last DB that BYU put in the NFL, unless I'm mistaken, was Aaron Francisco. There, are you happy, Mr. Troll?

And I for one am tired of hearing from Mr. Troll that BYU doesn't have enough "Athletes". But at least it basically admitted what it means with that term. Now we know what kind of hateful heart it really has.

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    April 5, 2013 7:25 p.m.

This is one of the most absurd comments I've ever read on this website, and that's saying something.....

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    April 5, 2013 6:50 p.m.

Tell me one school in Utah that even comes close to matching BYU's overall athletic program - Football, M and W Basketball, Soccer, Golf, Baseball, Volleyball, Rugby, Track, Swimming, etc. No school in Utah even comes close. BYU not only has the top athletic program in Utah, but has one of the top athletic programs in the nation.

Translation - there are more athletes at BYU than Utah. Athletes are more than just DBs.

BYU's defense was one of the best in the nation last year, and as far as I can tell the DBs are part of the defense. Sorensen, Bills and Johnson are solid.

• Hunt Spanish Fork, UT
    April 5, 2013 5:02 p.m.

I trusted Chris B when he matter of factly said that So. Miss was going to have no trouble handling BYU's mediocre basketball team. Seems her matter of facts aren't so factual. You've let me down one too many times. Never again Chris, never again.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    April 5, 2013 4:12 p.m.

@sammyg

But you'll just have to trust me. Since the big 12 isn't calling.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    April 5, 2013 3:33 p.m.

"I repeat: Byu will never be more than a mediocre football program because you dont have enough "athletes""

Therefore Utah will always be mediocre or less because they don't have 'enough athletes' because they cannot out recruit half or more of their conference peers.

Therefore Utah will be on the bubble for the 'I'll Be Home for Christmas' Couch Bowl.

• SLCWatch Salt Lake City, UT
    April 5, 2013 11:59 a.m.

@Irrelevent
    I believe the University of Utah recruits many people who are people of faith, passion and desire to succeed. Many on U of U teams do become great in many endeavors in life. I like you like the Y's standards. But We only reduce our own house when we throw bricks over the fence at our neighbors.
    I am a U of U graduate. I am also a Weber State graduate. By choice I do cheer for BYU because they have developed a legacy of championships in many sports. I believe in the history of the MWC BYU won 40% of all the available championships in all sports. That is a legacy. I believe it was higher in the WAC but I could be wrong. Now they are trying to raise to the next level. You do that by excelling, not by trying to tear down the other team.
    BYU could not recruit with the likes of Miami back in the day. They won the day because they worked as a team. Since there are so many University's with a legacy the Y's future doesn't lie in tearing them down but in raising there own game.

• billybubba South Jordan, UT
    April 5, 2013 11:37 a.m.

@Cougar Claws

you get it the only way according to cb that they are athletes is not to go to BYU and even if they go to the U with 3 stars or less they are still good solid recruits because they did not go to BYU as per navel vet
    I am a cougar fan all the way back to the late 60's

• Hondo Scottsdale, AZ
    April 5, 2013 11:32 a.m.

Claws,

You're giving her the attention she craves and she's one of your own. Now that's funny!

• Cougar Claws Lindon, UT
    April 5, 2013 11:17 a.m.

Re: bubba

I think you hit the nail on the head. Basically, if a player goes to BYU he's not an athlete. So since Star Lotulelei was academically ineligible to attend BYU, but instead went to Utah, now he's an athlete. I'll bet if Jake Murphy had actually kept his commitment to come to BYU he wouldn't be an athlete either. Trent Trammel, a defensive back, who actually had a scholarship offer to Utah, chose BYU, so I guess that means he's not an athlete. Jamaal Williams had a scholarship offer from Utah also, but he didn't go to Utah, so that disqualifies him from being an athlete too. Joe Sampson, another defensive back, chose a scholarship offer to BYU over Utah. But hey, he got in a fight and got kicked out of school, so is he officially an athlete now? Good thing Davion Orphey, another 2013 cornerback and BYU decommitment, chose Utah or there is no way he'd be an athlete. I'll also bet that Travis Still and Hunter Dimick are athletes too because they chose Utah over BYU too.

I think I get what Chris B is saying now.

• Barney Fife Salt Lake City, UT
    April 5, 2013 11:15 a.m.

Nothing else to offer?! Wow. Maybe we should loosen the straps on our blue goggles. I think they're cutting off the blood supply to our brain.

• Bubble Boy Salt Lake City, UT
    April 5, 2013 11:14 a.m.

We cougars are not holier than thou! We know that "Utah and other schools recruit kids that can play football but have nothing else to offer." They don't have any redeeming qualities. They're not special like we are.

Ok. I'll get off the rameumpton now.

• Hondo Scottsdale, AZ
    April 5, 2013 11:12 a.m.

Chris B is a BYU fan pretending to be a Utah fan and you guys keep falling for it over and over and over again. Wake up!

• Cougar Claws Lindon, UT
    April 5, 2013 11:03 a.m.

Re: U 90

Um okay, or apparently I have. Did I say BYU has filled the NFL with DBs? No. I did say that for 2013, besides Eric Rowe, I don't see Utah's starting DBs being any more talented than BYUs. Seriously. What has Utah's defensive backfield done well over the past two seasons? Get torched by Pac-12 passing offenses that's what. In no way did I insinuate that the past 10 to 15 years BYU has had loads of NFL talent in the defensive backfield. Way to put words in my mouth that I never said.

And actually BYU did put Aaron Francisco in the NFL and Andrew Rich could have inked a deal with a team, to answer your question. So occasionally BYU has a talented enough DB that they could play in the NFL. That doesn't mean that I am dubbing BYU "defensive backfield U" either. Don't get those two comments confused.

• SLCWatch Salt Lake City, UT
    April 5, 2013 10:12 a.m.

@U90
    Thank you for your comments. Yes I am aware that BYU does not have a history of great DB's. I wish they did. It's a wish most Cougar fans have. But Chris B. is not talking athleticism. You obviously picked up on what he and not I insinuates.
    I doubt BYU recruiters are told to only recruit slow, clutzy, people who can only run in a straight line. If you follow their recruiting efforts I am sure you realize no one is excluded by any classification except those that can not through personal behavior live by the standards of the school.

@Chris B.
    You do disrespect to all athletes of every ethnic and religious background by your personal prejudices and message of hate. You aren't fooling anyone. Please keep your comments to the sport in question. Better yet, quit festering the comment pages with your twisted view of the world and do something positive for a change.

• Irrelevant Provo, UT
    April 5, 2013 9:55 a.m.

@Chris B

"The alabama football team does not look like byu's football team. And there is no coincidence alamaba is doing what byu fans can barely dream of."

The difference between BYU and other top programs in the nation is BYU recruits men of faith, passion, and a desire to succeed. Utah and other schools recruit kids that can play football but have nothing else to offer. How many times do we hear of college "athletes" in big time schools get caught with drugs, dui's or other legal issues?

Get off your high horse Chris B. and join society. BYU is a fine institution run by the best organized church in the world. the fact of the matter is, it's hard to play at/for BYU. They only recruit special "ATHLETES."

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    April 5, 2013 9:43 a.m.

@SLC watch,

Unfortunatel the Des News monitors usually bans comments when I spell out the truth. I am not trying to hide what I am saying at all, just trying to get my comment posted.

As soon as byu fans accept reality that championship football and the honor code/relgion shoved down your throat don't mix, the better off they will be.

• billybubba South Jordan, UT
    April 5, 2013 9:33 a.m.

@SLCWatch
    I think I can answer this for you chris b. definition of athlete is anyone who does not attend BYU. Furthermore if a player does attend BYU then transfers up to the U. he then can be an athlete.

• U 90 Corona, CA
    April 5, 2013 12:24 a.m.

SLC Watch,

I'm not a Chris B fan, but he does make a valid point. This is not a position group that BYU has excelled in. When was the last time they put a DB in the NFL? Apparently Cougar Claws has not been paying attention over the past 10-15 years.

Perhaps Chris' comments are not being driven by what you are insinuating (race). It's possible Chris is referring to overall athleticism (speed, agility, lateral movement etc.)

Just so you don't think I'm a homer, I realize BYU has put more QBs in the NFL over the years than Utah. Are you willing to accept BYU's reality at the DB position?

• Cougar Claws Lindon, UT
    April 5, 2013 12:07 a.m.

Re: Black & Blue

I agree that the secondary could be a lot better if recruiting the secondary was a priority. I agree that it all starts with the front seven with any defense, but it's not like BYU can't try harder to get good defensive backs. I also hope that the new recruiting coordinator tries to make recruiting the defensive backfield as much a priority as every other position seems to be. It's not more important to recruit DBs than it is to recruit good players on both lines of scrimmage, but it's not necessarily less important either.

• SLCWatch Salt Lake City, UT
    April 4, 2013 10:07 p.m.

I have a request for our most prolifc writer Chris B.
    Specifically and without equivocation or avoidance of the truth as he knows it,
    Please define "athletes" that you refer to.

Obviously you don't believe BYU has any.
    So now state specifically what none of the Student/participants of the BYU athletic programs have! Name the specifc trait!

I dare you to say what you really mean.

• Black&Blue St George, Utah
    April 4, 2013 8:46 p.m.

The secondary is always the weak spot of the defense, until Bronco and Co. make recruiting quality corners a priority, the trend will continue. Landing top defensive line and linebacker prospects have not been a problem, but it seems year after year the safety and cornerback positions are filled with walk-ons and JC transfers. Hopefully there will be a renewed focus on recruiting athletes to play in the secondary. With a #3 ranked defense in 2012, we really dont have a whole lot to complain about though do we? I love and admire what BYU football represents, and the outstanding values it expects and builds in the young men lucky enough to be a part of it.
    The 2013 season needs to be here already.

• ParkerCoug12 Parker, CO
    April 4, 2013 6:52 p.m.

I am sorry, but Hague starting at corner next year really scares me. Hague is a safety not a corner. I hope their new recruits can step up.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    April 4, 2013 3:20 p.m.

I wouldn't call it a mixed bag. We should be top notch in this state again. Most teams around here are always trying to figure out how we keep putting such a great secondary on the field. They try to copy us but can't quite get there.

• ji bae Saint George, UT
    April 4, 2013 3:04 p.m.

Someone needs to compile chris b's drivel for the players to read all week of the Utah game. They have not looked as motivated for that game the last couple years as fans always are

• Cinci Man FT MITCHELL, KY
    April 4, 2013 2:13 p.m.

I predict that Utah, my school, will have a sad year again. I also predict that Chris B will continue to hang around BYU football articles so he can get some enjoyment out of life. How sad there isn't more to life for Chris.

I will keep my expectations very low for BYU football. I expected as few as 5 wins last year and was VERY pleased to have my expectations exceeded, although the losses were hard to take.

I wish BYU, USU, and Utah a great year.

• Cougar Claws Lindon, UT
    April 4, 2013 1:01 p.m.

Re: Chris B

With the exception of Eric Rowe, I would take BYU's starters in the secondary over Utah's. That is a pretty sad statement considering all of the "athletes" only go to Utah.

"LOL"

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    April 4, 2013 12:20 p.m.

You guys should be fine in the secondary. Just look at all the secondary guys byu has put in the NFL recently.

LOL.

You need "athletes" to have a good secondary. And you dont have them. Whether it be Wilson, Shultz, or a converted offensive lineman throwing for us this year, it will be more than enough for our seniors to earn the perfect 4-0 sweep in the former "rivalry" game.

When was the last time your seniors has a perfect 4-0 sweep over utah?

LOL