Unnecessary sex scene in 'The Host' may surprise Stephenie Meyer fans

• SlopJ30 St Louis, MO
    April 5, 2013 8:52 a.m.

No-one is as obsessed with sex in this world as are the prudes.

That's the irony I've always found hilarious. Hollywood is supposedly "obsessed" with sex, yet the Puritans of the world are always the ones shrieking about it.

Even the headline here "Unnecessary sex scene . . " is silly. NO scene in a movie is "necessary." Everything is a directorial or editorial choice. A particular choice in a particular movie may or may not work for you as a viewer, but it was neither "necessary" nor "unnecessary."

In Mormondom, the King of All "Unnecessary" Sex Scenes" probably has to be the one in "Titanic." The prudes go bonkers about how that scene ruined the movie. I saw it as a perfectly logical and appropriate progression of the story and those characters.

"The Host"? I have no idea; I have no plans on seeing it. But the mere fact that sex is implied certainly is a silly reason to complain . . or to write an "article" about it.

• dustman Nampa, ID
    April 4, 2013 1:17 p.m.

As opposed to the "necessary sex scenes" in other movies. What?

• SS MiddleofNowhere, Utah
    April 4, 2013 1:14 p.m.

I don't think anyone should be judging Meyer because of what she puts in her movies because I bet 9 times out of 10 you watch them, or movies at the same level or worse than them.

What I'm concerned about is the films artistic value. I won't judge the books because I haven't been able to bring myself to read them, but this is my evaluation of the movies, after my wife has dragged me to all of the Twilight movies and now to The Host: Any film adaptation of Stephanie Meyer's books is absolute junk and a waste of $20 dollars and two hours of my life. That's my final conclusion.

• JoeBlow Far East USA, SC
    April 4, 2013 1:00 p.m.

Cottonwood Heights, UT

Follow the money...it works in show business, business and politics.

You forgot to add religion to your list.

• Brahmabull sandy, ut
    April 4, 2013 12:56 p.m.

So because there is a sex scene people accuse the author of selling out? There really are some delusional people on these forums...

April 4, 2013 12:36 p.m.

Is there ever a "necessary" sex scene? I think not.

• 1Observer Cottonwood Heights, UT
    April 4, 2013 12:35 p.m.

Follow the money...it works in show business, business and politics.

• Noodlekaboodle Poplar Grove, UT
    April 4, 2013 12:22 p.m.

Viewers will also be surprised by this unnecessarily bad movie. Seriously, I question my marriage ever time my wife makes me go to these stupid movies. I thought she was smart when I married her, now i'm not too sure.....

• snowman Provo, UT
    April 4, 2013 12:20 p.m.

Did any of you even see this movie??? I don't think so. I saw the movie yesterday and I saw no sex scene.

• AreaReader Suburbs, AZ
    April 4, 2013 11:06 a.m.

"associated Meyer's work with conservative sexual standards, particularly abstinence before marriage"

But somehow creepy-stalker obsessive and abusive relationships are socially and religiously appropriate entertainment?

• holly56 LOVELAND, CO
    April 4, 2013 10:22 a.m.

"Vice is a monster of so frightful mien
    as to be hated needs but to be seen
    yet seen too oft familiar with her face
    we first endure, then pity, then embrace."

-Alexander Pope

I'm sorry, didn't proofread and it was incorrect version (with grammatical errors, I am a grammar fanatic, sorry!) so I'm reposting. :)

• JWB Kaysville, UT
    April 4, 2013 9:37 a.m.

Integrity of the movie classification and book's model has been compromised with this process.

People that make those decisions to just add little by little to get morals dulled and after 50 years they have done a pretty good job of dulling people's senses. Family values have been torn down and the Supreme Court is making determinations now on family values. They may make it a governmental issue that families are a portion of society that doesn't make a difference anymore. What is a family? That definition will be codified by a court that doesn't make law but interprets what the law says.

We have accepted what the courts say as law in relation to family and families. The definition by God was given when He made this earth and placed the first "citizens" on the earth. It was God's earth and still is even though some people believe God didn't have a part in this earth, that it just happened in all it's glory.

It is surprising that people required the 10 commandments to live by but don't do a very good job at living those basic principles and sometimes go backwards.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    April 4, 2013 8:46 a.m.

Is it news, or just an opportunistic tapping into easy 'outrage'?

• axle Riverton, UT
    April 4, 2013 8:43 a.m.

Look at this a little deeper. Sex is part of life, what separates us from the animals is that we have the ability to lend the subject a little dignity. We know it goes on but we can choose to keep it private, and respectable. Every time we choose to bring it out in the open for all to see it tears it down and makes it a little more carnal. This author seems to have a bit of an obsession with putting sexual scenarios in her work and the movie industry is always willing to take it a step too far. We can easily depict a couple in a way that lets us assume they are having sexual relations without tearing it down or making it something ugly, this didn't need to happen.

• Cats Somewhere in Time, UT
    April 4, 2013 8:38 a.m.

I saw it. Stephanie sold out. I'm very disappointed.

• Oceanside Utah/outside of Utah, UT
    April 4, 2013 8:25 a.m.

Just another example of someone entering the world of celebrities and now too cool and prideful to keep their standards a priority. No surprise and somewhat predictable. I won't be taking anyone to see it nor buying it on DVD after because she WAS known for what she has purported to believe and value in the past and it's not okay, in my book, to blatantly go against values for whatever blows in the wind. Bad example to LDS kids in other words...

• Wingnut1 USA, UT
    April 4, 2013 8:08 a.m.

I don't care how people would've acted "in that situation" I'm not saying anyone would act differently. However, we still don't need to see that because it allows nasty thoughts to enter our brains. My friends tried to get me to go watch it the other night, and i am very glad that i refused :)

• BYU Track Star Los Angeles, CA
    April 4, 2013 7:51 a.m.

In the make believe movie world of "the Host" There is no LDS Church or hierarchy, No Temples to be sealed in and No Government to get a marriage license as far as I could see. With the world ended where does that leave the surviving humans? Frustrated I would imagine, if they were letter of the law people. The only Biblical guidance for an end of the world event seems to be multiply and replenish the earth. What did Lot and his Daughters do after Sodom fell? Read Genesis again and find out. Is it me ? I also never figured out where all the women can from after Adam and Eve's expulsion from the Garden. It takes two to begat afterall.

• DaveKnowsWhatsUp Bloomington, IN
    April 4, 2013 7:03 a.m.

I don't think it's up to us to judge Meyer's spiritual state.

If you don't like it, don't watch it. The book was interesting, but I didn't even know they made a movie of it until this article. As for me, I'm going back to the BYU section to antagonize Chris B, then maybe I'll go outside for a while.

• OneAmerican Idaho Falls, ID
    April 4, 2013 6:59 a.m.

"Thanks to the 'Twilight' series, entertainment media have long associated Meyer's work with conservative sexual standards, particularly abstinence before marriage."

That's funny. I don't recall there being a delineation between depicting pre-marital and marital sex so far as what is appropriate for the LDS audience, particularly teens. I don't think the "For The Stength of Youth" pamphlet says "Wholesome entertainment includes depicting sexual relations, so long as those engaging in it are married." Meyer has never been a role model for "wholesome entertainment" for teens and I find no surprise that she has included even a tame sex scene in her latest movie. The question is, why include the scene in the movie in the first place when she knows the tweens and teens will be wanting to see it. I can only come up with one answer...sex sales...and creates a larger age demographic for the movie.

• lauralynn Castro Valley, CA
    April 4, 2013 12:25 a.m.

I've read the book The Host and it's one of my favorites. I haven't seen the movie yet because I'm unable to go to the theater and I couldn't figure out why they kept calling it a love story. Now it makes more sense, but I don't like that they strayed so far from the book.

• statman Lehi, UT
    April 3, 2013 11:18 p.m.

Except the premarital sex that probably happened in the book, happened when they thought they were the only humans left on the planet. When there's nobody else left to sanction a marriage, if saying - umm I think we're together now - enough to say that they're married? I'd say yes...

And I say 'probably happened' because it didn't ever say that it did' at least not in the first half of the book. That's all I could stomach. There's only so many pages of living in caves and nothing happening that a guy can take...

• DistantThunder Vincentown, NJ
    April 3, 2013 10:59 p.m.

Sex is the lowest common denominator between a man and a woman so of course Hollywood is obsessed with it.

• Northwest Reader Vancouver, WA
    April 3, 2013 10:40 p.m.

And yet Sambonethegreat and all the people who liked your comment ended up reading it anyway.

• John Charity Spring Back Home in Davis County, UT
    April 3, 2013 9:58 p.m.

Meyer has sold out to the Modern entertainment industry which does everything it can to attack traditional marriage and family. She apparently values a few extra pieces of silver over keeping impressionable youth safe from the devastating consequences of immorality.

• ParkCityAggie Park City, Ut
    April 3, 2013 8:51 p.m.

Oh no, premarital sex? How unrealistic, that never happens anywhere to anyone, ever! Wow! I'm shocked!

• Phargo Rexburg, ID
    April 3, 2013 8:47 p.m.

Seems Stephanie Meyer is having difficulty maintaining who she is in her new successful world. Or, maybe she was just fictitious before in her own character. Regardless, the "Twilight" movies got worse in screenwriting quality (at least the first to what I overheard in the fourth). I suppose this new attempt at entertainment will follow suit. Since I won't be wasting my money on it, I may never know.

• milhouse Atlanta, GA
    April 3, 2013 8:14 p.m.

Wait, hold on. The Twilight novels were about nothing but sex. Traditional values teach willing abstinence, not desperate longing.

• Sambonethegreat Logan, UT
    April 3, 2013 7:35 p.m.

Yawn. Only the DesNews could publish an article like this and claim it as news.

• hermounts Pleasanton, CA
    April 3, 2013 5:46 p.m.

I wonder if any other LDS viewers thought the movie (I didn't read the book) was a parable about free agency versus Satan's plan?

• jean22 Bountiful, UT
    April 3, 2013 5:24 p.m.

• dhsalum Saint George, UT
    April 3, 2013 5:26 p.m.

Chris B, that is not your decision. God has never said it is okay, so I'll trust him over you.

• JimInSLC Salt Lake City, UT
    April 3, 2013 3:54 p.m.

“it’s just that that’s the world we’re in.” And, the world we are in is partly due to the movie, media, and entertainment industry that has led the way. If it's not in the book why put it in the movie? If the scene was not in the movie would many of today's youth be confused, because they were so in love they should have slept together? Poor message to send.