Sports

BYU football: Cougars commit two for 2014, 2015 recruiting classes

Comments

• WON84 PLANO, TX
    June 13, 2013 8:49 a.m.

"Oh well. Rivals likes this kid as a 3-star recruit...which is typically 1-star too many for a cougar recruit. He might very well be the gem of your 2014 recruiting class. Way to beat out NM State in that heated recruiting battle."

Oh, and USC.

"Utah's current class is ranked #19."

LOL, say what? Utah may have done better than BYU in recruiting over the last few years but, I cannot recall them ever having a class ranked in the Top 25 by any service. And 2014 has just gotten started - Western Michigan shows as in the Top 25 as they pulled a four star recruit but, have inked like 3 players. Need I say more?

• truecoug1 Provo, UT
    April 7, 2013 1:54 p.m.

@Cougars1

• Cougars1 Bluffdale, UT
    April 5, 2013 9:54 p.m.

truecoug1,

Very nice. That has to be the funniest post I have read in a long time.

• FuzzyLogic VACAVILLE, CA
    April 5, 2013 6:54 p.m.

What really strikes me is how much you all know of each other's programs. I'm a BYU fan and always have been. I could care less what's going on at the U other than that particular week that they play my boys in blue. They've had the best of us recently, but I chalk that up to them having a Cougar as a head coach.

• truecoug1 Provo, UT
    April 5, 2013 11:49 a.m.

Anybody who tries to use a lot of 'fancy' words, throws random hyphens into everything, and 'absolutely, unequivocally, and irrevocably' will do anything to smear BYU athletics...must be taken absolutely seriously.

Really.

No seriously.

"Time away affects more programs than byu's, perhaps not to the same, exact extent, but significantly enough that it goes w/out saying and, more importantly, relative to this particular conversation of ours right here, is not something even the byu-fanbase raises as being relevant, one way or the other."

I mean, come on...it's obvious that this guy knows EXACTLY what he's talking about.

"Those bits of information I reminded you about are more often than not those precise-facts the byu-fanbase famously omits/refuses to acknowledge, as they would otherwise force them to view things as the rest of the world views things--Realistically."

Wow...so true. BYU fans famously omitted the 'fact' that USC was 'disinterested' when playing ACC Coastal Division winner Georgia Tech, thereby showing that Georgia Tech really isn't that good of a team, and, in-so-doing (gotta throw in those hyphens), rendering BYU's win over Georgia Tech 'not significant.'

Very realistic.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    April 5, 2013 11:52 a.m.

alternate (cont.):

"Dear John Doe, you are a great, young man, fantastic athletic, and your future is bright, if you sign with my school. But if you sign with the other guy, then I was wrong and misjudged you, you are a lousy player and will be worthless in college...Sad commentary!!"

Essentially the "sad commentary" was your worthless - albeit typical - Indy-WACey strawman argument. You named me specifically, but have nothing to support that I would have lauded him for signing with Utah, or labelled him a "lousy player" for committing to the losers of 3 in a row, 8 of the last 11, and sitting on the "downside" of a generation gap in the all-time series vs. their big brother.

Just because I think the Indy-WACers program is worthless, that doesn't mean I think all their 3-star players are.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    April 5, 2013 11:42 a.m.

alternate:

"The irony of all this ranting is that had these two young men committed to Utah,...Naval Vet...would be singing praises of these two kids."

First of all, you don't speak for me. I, and I alone, will determine what I would-have-said given a different set of circumstances. Just because YOUR thinking is done for YOU, doesn't mean you can do the thinking for others. In fact, it most likely means you're even LESS qualified to do so.

Second, here is what I said about a kid who did NOT commit to Utah:

"Rivals likes this kid a a 3-star recruit...He might very well be the gem of your 2014 recruiting class."

So where's the criticism?

Had he committed to Utah, I would have pointed out that he was a 3-star recruit, and that there would have been a discrepancy between Rivals' listing and the listing of the writer. About the only difference would have been me NOT suggesting he'd be the gem of our 2014 class. Right now, that's looking to be Barton.

• Cougars1 Bluffdale, UT
    April 5, 2013 11:42 a.m.

"Regarding a UTAH/BSU comparison, be sure to include SOS/key-injuries/returning-starts, etc."-AZUTE

I think you are the one who bit. Can we use those same criteria above when talking about Utah/Alabama? Specifically "key injuries"? Just wondering. The funny thing is that after "Girlsie State" played wax/wax off with your Utes, there were more excuses to explain the loss than any of us could keep up with. Including injuries and lack of motivation.

However, I have no problem giving credit to Utah for the win over Alabama. No excuses.

• BigCougar Bountiful, UT
    April 5, 2013 10:45 a.m.

@Azute1
    "I wasn't entirely certain which of you would actually bite"

I was certain you would bite. Go back and read my comment. I didn't formulate opinion on whether I thought 'Bama was disinterested in playing a former WAC team in the Consolation Bowl after they had been ranked #1 most of the season and had their expectations of playing in the National Championship game completely shattered in the last game of the regular season by a hated rival leaving them feeling utterly devastated or anything like that.

All I did was comment that I remember hearing nationally prominent sports pundits on numerous occasions in multiple high profile media outlets talk ad nauseam about 'Bama playing 100% disinterested and didn't wake up to the fact, until it was too late, that the utes didn't consider it a Consolation Bowl and played out of their minds.

Regarding your call to "Brothers-in-Blue" (or any non-delusional ute fan) to back you up and supposedly set me straight on an opinion I didn't give....

(sound of crickets chirping...)

speaking of delusional, I'm not sure why you thought any Cougar fan would have your back

• alternate Salt Lake City, UT
    April 5, 2013 9:16 a.m.

The irony of all this ranting is that had these two young men committed to Utah, Chris B, Naval Vet and all the other BYU hates would be singing praises of these two kids. Actually, it's pretty much the same when Utah signs players and then the BYU crowd does their thing.

The bottom line is an interesting message sent to these young men. Dear John Doe, you are a great, young man, fantastic athletic, and your future is bright, if you sign with my school. But if you sign with the other guy, then I was wrong and misjudged you, you are a lousy player and will be worthless in college.

Sad commentary!!

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    April 5, 2013 1:11 a.m.

@Two For Flinching

Okay, my bad... It was 2010 (the U's last year in the MWC) when they were totally embarrassed by Boise State in the Las Vegas Bowl... 26-3... Still BYU played them on their home field last year and lost by 1 on a fluke (The Broncos only lost 2 games last year and beat Washington in Las Vegas (a team that romped on the U last year).

And the Sec Division Champion that I was thinking of was actually the ACC Division Champion Georgia Tech who the Cougs beat in Atlanta by 3 1/2 Touchdowns... The same GT that lost in the Conference Championship to FSU by 6, and the same Georgia Tech that took out USC by 2 Touchdowns in the Sun Bowl last year... (You might remember the Trojans... They beat the U in SLC by 10 last year...).

Oh, and thank you for your comments on the ND game... The Cougs almost won that... It will be interesting to see what happens in South Bend this year (second game of a 6 game contract)... I believe ND is rated #1 or @3 by Rivals in recruiting... LOL.

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    April 4, 2013 10:25 p.m.

@Cougars1

Fair enough.

On a different-note, one utterly intellectually-inferior, unfortunately--

@BigCougar--

I wasn't entirely certain which of you would actually bite and, thereby, unequivocally remove all doubt by so doing, publically, but you're today's winner....Congratulations, although I hope you're willing to allow one of your fellow Brothers-in-blue to mercifully lend you a helping-hand here and gently point-out the glaring-holes in your attempt to draw a parallel between 2008 UTAH/Alabama and 2012 GT/USC.

Anybody?

• BigCougar Bountiful, UT
    April 4, 2013 7:34 p.m.

@AzUte1
    "GT? Nice try and don't attempt to point to their Sun Bowl win against a 100% disinterested USC team"

That's a riot!!! I know where you got that line from, it's the line that all the ESPN experts and national sportswriters and talk show hosts kept bringing up when referring to Utah's Sugar Bowl win over Alabama.

Oh well, at least you can accept it for what it was.

• BYU DUDE Provo, UT
    April 4, 2013 7:17 p.m.

AZUTE1'

How about you address the fact Utah is dead last in the Pac 12 ! Men & Women !

No Post Season in Football or Basketball. But on a brighter note enjoy your Women's Gymnastics ! Lol !

• jdub1942 PROVO, UT
    April 4, 2013 5:54 p.m.

Fight! Fight! Fight!

• jdub1942 PROVO, UT
    April 4, 2013 5:44 p.m.

Fight! Fight! Fight!

• Cougars1 Bluffdale, UT
    April 4, 2013 4:10 p.m.

AZUTE1,

"even the slate"? For what? All I want to establish is that the ranking of a recruiting class is not the only variable you can use to determine if team A is going to be better than team B. Simple as that.

• Cougars1 Bluffdale, UT
    April 4, 2013 3:48 p.m.

AZUTE,

You misunderstand me. I only made the correction that it was the ACC being referred to and not the SEC. I for one would never use that as any kind of argument. I would actually agree with you in that GT was a bad team regardless of the result of their bowl game. Clearly USC was not the same team at the end of the year as the team that beat Utah.

I only bring up the mission thing because it affects BYU more than any other school, and not in time away from the game, even though we have seen very good players at BYU their freshman year, only to return to finish a lackluster career because of injuries or lack of performance.

I feel that I am one of the most realistic to post on here. As are you.

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    April 4, 2013 2:42 p.m.

@Cougars1 [Cont'd]--

Time away affects more programs than byu's, perhaps not to the same, exact extent, but significantly enough that it goes w/out saying and, more importantly, relative to this particular conversation of ours right here, is not something even the byu-fanbase raises as being relevant, one way or the other....It's as if you're attempting to in some way, "even-the-slate", on this particular-point or something, when it literally is a non-factor and, to the contrary, the stats I mentioned are distinctly-important factors in being able to successfully draw the proper-conclusion to any such comparison ever being drawn, in general.

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    April 4, 2013 2:41 p.m.

Cougars1

"AZUTE1,

Wait, I didn't bring up the GT beat down of USC, you did.

Why would I include SOS/key-injuries/returning starters,etc? Those are never talked about on these blogs when Utah fans talk about how much better their recruiting classes are compared to BYU's. But you are more than welcome to. Don't forget to include players on missions..."

LOL....Logic 101....I just simply pre-empted you regarding the obviously inevitable ensuing-comment on GT, particularly w/your continued errant-view on reality, in this case relative to how "good" the win for byu against GT ended-up being, when you posted the following, w/out offering clarification--

"I think he meant ACC Champion."

Come-on, just simply admit the obvious and present yourself in a more respectable-light, instead of doubling-back right here in a vain-attempt to save face....You're over-thinking something which is actually rather simplistic.

• That's A Good One Salt Lake City, UT
    April 4, 2013 2:17 p.m.

Navel said back on page 1 "Boise St's current (2014) recruiting class ranks them #54, and had NEVER outrecruited the Utes EVER"

Thanks for proving that recruiting is only a piece of the overall picture as that "out-recruited-by-Utah" BSU team has pretty well left you standing on the field with your pants around your ankles for several consecutive games in a row now.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    April 4, 2013 1:20 p.m.

CougFaninTX:

"I do not understand the chest thumping that accompanies recruiting class rank. If it were only about the recruiting class rank, U would never beat USC (which could happen) and Texas and Notre Dame would always be in the Top 5, but their [sic] not."

So are you suggesting that irrespective of the quality of recruits a school gets each team has a 50-50 chance winning any given game? Or in other words, if you lined up Alabama vs. NM State, and they played a 12-game series at a neutral site, that NM State would most likely win 6 times?

Because if you WOULD wager NMSU would win 6, then I see your problem. But if you WOULDN'T bet the house on that, then I suppose you'd be able to figure out what all the chest thumping is about.

• Cougars1 Bluffdale, UT
    April 4, 2013 1:06 p.m.

AZUTE1,

Wait, I didn't bring up the GT beat down of USC, you did.

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    April 4, 2013 12:40 p.m.

Cougars1--

"twofer,

I think he meant ACC Champion. I would be curious to know where Utah and BSU's recruiting classes ranked in the years prior to the Vegas Bowl. I think that is the point being made."

GT? Nice try and don't attempt to point to their Sun Bowl win against a 100% disinterested USC team which, ultimately, ended-up showing their back-ends to their hosts in El Paso and simultaneously embarrassed their school, while humiliating our conference....USC went from pre-season #1, based on their palpable talent-level, to finishing the season losing to highly-mediocre GT, albeit inspired by utter lack-of-respect shown them by USC, led by Kiffen, himself [i.e., when they ended-up running deliberately-/disrespectfully-late to their get-together for a meal], unranked and w/a final-record merely one, single game above .500....In fact, USC finished the season losing 5 of their final-six games....Tweets from USC players, etc....Please....Not to mention, FSU was The ACC Champion this last season, not GT, which was 6-7 pre-Sun Bowl....LOL

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    April 4, 2013 12:12 p.m.

BYU DUDE--

"Utah Trolls win the battle lose the War.

BYU ends up being ranked higher in Football at the end of the Year.

Utah is ranked dead last in combined Pac 12 Sports ! Women & Men. But hey the Losers have Pac 12 Logos on them."

We win the battle, annually....It's just simply become a matter-of-routine for us....However, this where your misunderstanding of where things stand when comparing UTAH/byu really has you in a bad spot....No war exists when byu's 3-PT win over usu, while playing against them at home in provo for the 2nd consecutive year, is literally the only win for byu in recent memory over what legitimately constitutes a good team and, furthermore, when byu's schedule in consecutive-years has been ripe w/the likes of such cupcakes as Idaho State/Weber State, Idaho, Hawaii and NMSU....Regardless of what the excuses were, to have all of these teams scheduled not only in an entire-season, but also in consecutive-years, as well, you have zero-basis, whatsoever, to point your finger at UTAH's week-in, week-out grind of a PAC-12 Schedule, which is entirely foreign to byu.

• Cougars1 Bluffdale, UT
    April 4, 2013 12:00 p.m.

twofer,

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    April 4, 2013 11:41 a.m.

@ poyman

Utah last to Boise in Vegas in 2010, BYU lost to Boise in 2012. You understand that Kellen Moore, Austin Pettis, Titus Young, and Doug Martin played for Boise when Utah played them and the Broncos finished in the top 10 that year, right?

Congrats on the moral victory at ND. I'm curious about which SEC champion BYU blew out on the road though. Especially considering the fact that the only two SEC teams BYU has ever defeated were 3-8 Miss St. in 2001 and 2-10 Ole Miss in 2011.

• BYU DUDE Provo, UT
    April 4, 2013 11:10 a.m.

Utah Trolls win the battle lose the War.

BYU ends up being ranked higher in Football at the end of the Year.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    April 4, 2013 10:16 a.m.

I do not understand the chest thumping that accompanies recruiting class rank. If it were only about the recruiting class rank, U would never beat USC (which could happen) and Texas and Notre Dame would always be in the Top 5, but their not.

Every year there are unheralded athletes like Dennis Pitta who go onto greatness. Neither Austin Collie or Cody Hoffman were highly ranked out of high school, but they will be remember as two of the greatest BYU receivers for a long time. The list of five star failures is a mile long. There are more 3 star rated players in the NFL than 4 or 5 star players.

The one thing we know is these recruits are a lot better at football coming out of high school than most of us ever dreamed of becoming. Welcome to Cougar Nation!

P.S. If Utah doesn't make the post-season two years in a row, will the fans abandon the team like U did the basketball team? I was still cheering for the Cougs even during the Crowton era.

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    April 4, 2013 10:09 a.m.

Sandyclaws--

"@Christie B. and Naval Vet (aka ENVY):

Note to recruits, (football and basketball): If you want to play in the PAC 12, go to Utah. If you want to play in the post season, go to BYU."

Clever....1 year hardly makes a trend....LOL....During 15 total years to date in this current BCS Era, both UTAH/byu have earned 11 bowl games, each....Except, while byu is 6-5, UTAH s 10-1.

Not to mention, UTAH fell short by merely 1 victory, while typically playing against a more difficult SOS than byu....Unlike byu, we didn't have Weber State, Hawaii, Idaho and NMSU on our schedule ultimately to make us bowl-eligible.

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    April 4, 2013 9:55 a.m.

@Whoa Nellie

"And to the DNews, please explain how comments that are off topic are now allowed to be posted. Is it now permissible to post anything that is totally irrelevant to the article?(See AZUTE1)"

Just because I post strictly facts, facts which you personally don't care to be reminded of, in no way magically carries any merit, whatsoever, when I was, in fact, merely responding directly to what your fellow byu fans had already posted.

Why not, instead, call them out for originally tangenting-off and not just simply reacting viscerally/unjustifiably to me?

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    April 4, 2013 9:48 a.m.

I merely responded to such comments--

I know it's hard to be a U fan right now... Their Football Program has struggled and the Basketball Program is a joke... Y'all have probably forgotten what it's like to be gearing up for a December or January Bowl Game or a post season Basketball Game... Like Bill Clinton, we feel your pain...While the U's programs have deteriorated however, the Coug's programs have been gaining momentum... A year after the U got spanked in Las Vegas by Boise State, BYU barely looses in Boise (in fact it was a fluke that BYU didn't win)... While BYU was almost beating the #5 team in the country last year on their home field and blowing out a SE Conference Champion on their home field the U was getting trampled by 8-5 ASU and losing to WAC member USU...
    On the Hardwood, the U is 1-11 against the Cougs over the last 7 years... And I can't even remember the last NCAA Tourney or NIT they played in.So I understand the feeling of defeat and the need to pick on Winning Programs. Recruiting Ratings are huge so keep pushing that... LOL.

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    April 4, 2013 9:41 a.m.

If my comments were off-topic, then what happens to the obviously byu-leaning, anti-UTAH comments llittering this threa, to which I was directly responding?

Fair is Fair, Deseret News....And I get this particular message will be denied, but it's intended for your Nazi-Like eyes, only....Have some integrity/consistency on your end, FOR ONCE, PLEASE.....This is ALL we, your readership, asks of you peope.

• Sandyclaws Salt Lake City, UT
    April 4, 2013 9:17 a.m.

@Christie B. and Naval Vet (aka ENVY):

• Whoa Nellie American Fork, UT
    April 4, 2013 9:13 a.m.

Thank you Griz for your relevant post. naval lint's constant reference to rivals is about as valid as CNN or MSNBC evaluating a conservative candidate. Both examples have no credibility.

Congratulations to these two young men in this article who have been offered the opportunity to gain a higher education and participate in one of the best run athletic programs in college sports. For the benefit of those who wear rose-colored glasses, the U. of Utah also has a quality athletic department and leadership, regardless of the current events none of us here fully understand.

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    April 4, 2013 8:16 a.m.

Not to mention, we've had a Number #1 Overall NBA Draft Pick, who continues to remain a solid-contributor in the league, Today....Meanwhile, jf sits at the end of the bench, Entirely-Irrelevant And Merely-Inches from Europe and ending his career as one of the league's All-Time Greatest-Busts....LOL

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    April 4, 2013 8:12 a.m.

These guys will help us dominate Utah even more than we already do. I can't wait.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    April 4, 2013 7:54 a.m.

Griz:

"...you pointed out that Rivals doesn't keep their information current and still has Warner listed at his weight from last year (some adolescents have been known to grow) kind of tells you how valid and up to date their info is..."

--OR--

...maybe RIVALS has the most current information, and GURNEY doesn't keep his info current. Do you personally know this kid? How do you know how much he weighed last year? How plausible is it that a 17-yr old kid would have gained 30-lbs since last November? What "facts" do you have? And YOU'RE calling ME "frantic and emotional"? Typical hypocritical coug.

• shorts Payson, UT
    April 4, 2013 6:33 a.m.

RE: Naval Vet
    Philadelphia, PA

By Greg Biggins for Scout.com
    National Recruiting Analyst
    Posted Apr 3, 2013

Says " At 6-2, 210 pounds, he has plenty of athleticism, moves very well in space and plays with a motor. He should fit in very well in the Cougars 3-4 scheme."

• shorts Payson, UT
    April 4, 2013 6:24 a.m.

Naval Vet
    Philadelphia, PA

First you say point out how Utah recruiting class then is so much better then BYU I will give you that But then you point out Utah's recruiting class is so much better then BSU as well. Just wondering has Utah beaten BSU? Could Utah beat BSU? This fact should point out that recruiting stars don't mean everything.

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    April 4, 2013 12:45 a.m.

@Naval Vet and Chris B

• Duckhunted provo, UT
    April 3, 2013 11:52 p.m.

I hope both these young men represent BYU well and bet a good education!

• Duckhunted provo, UT
    April 3, 2013 11:48 p.m.

worf,
    Did you really say Utah losses? I rest my case!

• worf Mcallen, TX
    April 3, 2013 9:24 p.m.

BYU had post a season game. Utah zero.

BYU beats Utah State--Utah losses.

I rest my case. --Utah is a lower level team. Pads other PAC 12 teams with an extra win to become bowl eligible.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    April 3, 2013 8:54 p.m.

@naval

"According to Rivals, Boise St's current (2014) recruiting class ranks them #54, and had NEVER outrecruited the Utes EVER."

Well then by your logic utah must have beaten Boise every time they have played? You mean they haven't? You mean they have actually been embarassingly pounded by them every time they've played in the last 15 years? How can that be since they have "NEVER outrecruited the utes EVER"?

LOL!

• BigCougar Bountiful, UT
    April 3, 2013 8:05 p.m.

Lake runs a 4.45, that's pretty good. That translates into a 4.18 if he had been hand-timed by ute coaches. He's blazing fast!!!!

• Frantic & Emotional philadelphia , PA
    April 3, 2013 7:52 p.m.

@Naval
    "I guess we'll find out soon enough, won't we?"

As a ute fan, aren't you finding out already? How much proof do you need? (2011- 4-5 Pac12; 2012- 3-6 Pac12; 2013- 2-7 Pac12...) That's a pretty slow fade into oblivion. Maybe the problem is the other teams in the Pac12 don't realize you now have a recruiting advantage?

• 32843 PROVO, UT
    April 3, 2013 7:46 p.m.

@SLCWatch

Finally! Someone who expressed the obvious. The story IS about two young athletes who are excited about being able to play at a major college football program and for a University they are excited to play for. However, there are those who take competition to such an extreme that it's a wonder how they can enjoy anything surrounding collegiate sports. A person is genuinely living a pretty pathetic life if their happiness depends on whether or not their team out recruits BYU.

I, for one, couldn't be happier that BYU and Utah are taking some time off from playing one another. Some people just take things so far that it takes the fun out of the rivalry.

• Griz Salt Lake City, UT
    April 3, 2013 7:28 p.m.

@Frantic and Emotional
    "Warner is a 6-foot-3, 210 outside linebacker...-- Brandon Gurney

Not according to Rivals. Rivals has him listed as a 6-3, 180-lbs LB. Those 30-lbs sure makes a big difference."

Hmmm...you sound pretty frantic and emotional there.

Btw, it makes about as much sense to bring up Rivals stuff on a BYU article message board as it does to bring up Scout.com stuff on a ute article message board. Sort of like using Book of Mormon passages when debating with an evangelical christian.

Also the fact you pointed out that Rivals doesn't keep their information current and still has Warner listed at his weight from last year (some adolescents have been known to grow) kind of tells you how valid and up to date their info is...

• BigCougar Bountiful, UT
    April 3, 2013 7:13 p.m.

"...but can you take the WAC out of program?"

Some programs play like they've never left the WAC (or the MWC) and maybe they shouldn't have. I think the utes are proving that even a blind dog can find a bone once or twice but they can't count on being so lucky every year.

Now that the utes are in the Pac12 we kind of see the true nature of the program and the predictions made by most (Utah will become the next Washington State) have come true. utah is mired in a long slow decline that most people outside of SLC have expected.

2009
    10-3 (6-2 MWC; Poinsettia Bowl win)

2010
    10-3 (7-1 MWC; Las Vegas Bowl loss)

2011
    8-5 (4-5 Pac12; Sun Bowl win)

2012
    5-7 (3-6 Pac12; no bowl)

2013 (proj)
    2-10 or 3-9 (2-7 Pac12; no bowl --again--)

I think you're right, you can't take the WAC out of some programs.

• SLCWatch Salt Lake City, UT
    April 3, 2013 6:29 p.m.

Some people are so good with figures, Do a lot of research, and have so much free time that I just have to ask...Either of you wonderkind want to do my taxes?

Let's be honest...how exciting can your life be if it consists in finding fault with someone else. (here's a hint...it's not)

In the mean time this is an article about two young men who are excited to be given the opportunity to play a game they love at a Universtiy that has a storied program with national honors, a climbing national ranking, Coach's they love and we respect and they are the type of players we are happy to welcome. I welcome everyone who wants to be here and I respect the ones who give up sure offers with other teams to walk on at the Y.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    April 3, 2013 4:52 p.m.

I hope they play a lot next year.

• Rikitikitavi Cardston, Alberta
    April 3, 2013 4:47 p.m.

@wookie
    Class folks like yourself are always welcome with your mature comments. Any of us BYU faithful can appreciate your insights.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    April 3, 2013 3:16 p.m.

"Warner is a 6-foot-3, 210 outside linebacker..." -- Brandon Gurney

And speaking of NM State, they're an ex-WAC independent team. Looks like you're still recruiting "those kinds" of players. You can take a program out of the WAC,...

...but can you take the WAC out of program?

I guess we'll find out soon enough, won't we?

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    April 3, 2013 3:06 p.m.

Wiscougarfan:

"Boise State..., and Indiana University...both have better recruiting classes than all of the Utah schools."

Did you frantically and emotionally make that up? According to Rivals, Boise St's current (2014) recruiting class ranks them #54, and had NEVER outrecruited the Utes EVER. Utah's current class is ranked #19. Indiana doesn't have a single 2014 commit, and thus isn't even rated. Furthermore, the Hoosiers havd outrecruited Utah only twice in the last 12 recruiting classes.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    April 3, 2013 3:00 p.m.

Wiscougarfan:

"Yes, Utah has a higher ranked recruiting class than BYU for the third year in a row (and I think the seventh time ever)..."

Not according to Rivals. Rivals lists Utah's recruiting class ahead of the Y for the SIXTH (not 3rd) year in a row, and NINTH time since 2002 (not 7th time ever). Rivals doesn't go back further than 2002.

I'd like to point out that the U beat the Indy-WACers 9 of the last 12 "recruiting" seasons...

...and we've beaten little brother 8 of the last 11 (truecoug1) on the field.

Coincidence?

Doubtful.

Some of those 2013 recruits will be a part of the 2013 Holy War, so we'll see if it'll be 9 of the last 12 to align Utah's superiority on the gridiron to be largely correlated in our domination in recruiting in about 5 months.

• newwest Ferron, UT
    April 3, 2013 2:12 p.m.

Chris,
    More importantly, only eight PAC 12 teams have recruiting classes rated higher than Utah's in 2013. That should allow you to hold onto 9th place in conference.

• Vladhagen Salt Lake City, UT
    April 3, 2013 1:40 p.m.

The Bumble B again validates BYU. And gets tackled for a large loss in the backfield by the fan in TX. "The last time I checked, there are no awards for how your recruiting class ranked, but the recognition goes for Wins, where BYU trumps your no-post-season Utes." No way to say it better.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    April 3, 2013 1:06 p.m.

@Chris B

Teams that BYU has more wins than

Utah(again)
    1-11 Kansas team
    North Carolina (tie)
    Duke

That must be embarassing to have a higher ranked recruiting class than BYU but end up with a lower ranked team.

• Obama10 SYRACUSE, UT
    April 3, 2013 11:57 a.m.

Another BYU article, another "rant" by Christy B. I can always plan on her commenting on all things BYU.

• Wookie Omaha, NE
    April 3, 2013 11:47 a.m.

Chris B...c'mon dude...stop with the ignorant rhetoric. Let these kids enjoy their choices. You don't play for either team and your wearing thin on your arm-chair QB/coaching.

@ Mountanman (spelling error??), no one is certain as to what took place as to the Rugby issue, all we know is there were issues discovered. As for the swimming/diving, we should all pray for those innocent children. To make this a platform to compare programs is better suited elsewhere.

The better team will always win out, plain and simple. Don't call it luck either, as luck favors the prepared.

GO UTES!!

• Wiscougarfan River Falls, WI
    April 3, 2013 11:28 a.m.

Regarding stars and team rankings… no need for haters to continue to beat their chests. Yes, Utah has a higher ranked recruiting class than BYU for the third year in a row (and I think the seventh time ever). Boise State (non-BCS), and Indiana University (one of the worst teams in all of college football) both have better recruiting classes than all of the Utah schools. Wisconsin (one of the best programs in all of college football) averages a recruiting class ranking of 70 over the last decade. What does this all prove? Nothing. It comes down to coaching and on-the-field performance. Only 150 days left until kickoff… Go Cougs!

• Mountanman Hayden, ID
    April 3, 2013 11:00 a.m.

Excellent article. Thanks for writing it! It demonstrates that football isn't the exclusive reason some athletes come to BYU, which is the way it should be! As great as college sports are some people have their priorities on things that last much longer than playing football.

@ Chris B. Can you fill us in what is going on at the Ute's rugby and swimming programs?

• truecoug1 Provo, UT
    April 3, 2013 10:58 a.m.

@Chris B

Teams that BYU beats in sheer awesomeness: EVERYBODY!

Woohoo! I love BYU! Congrats to Lake and Warner and welcome aboard! Looking forward to another great season of football and more whining and stomping of the feet by Chris B, Naval Vet, and other BYU haters. That's always entertaining.

Queue the "3 in a row, 8 out of 11" talk, I always get a "kick" out of that (pun intended :)....ready, and go!

Go Cougars!

• RS Holladay, UT
    April 3, 2013 10:48 a.m.

Just curious if anyone knows what uniform Lake is wearing in the photo? It clearly is not the Northridge Knights.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    April 3, 2013 10:32 a.m.

Lake is playin corner?

Based on the picture, I never would have guessed.

LOL

• Gone fishin Murray, UT
    April 3, 2013 10:28 a.m.

Nice pick ups for the Cougs.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    April 3, 2013 10:26 a.m.

Teams that beat byu in recruiting this year:

Utah(again)
    1-11 Kansas team
    North Carolina
    Duke

I guess when the choice is between a 1-11 BCS team and byu, the choice is pretty clear.