Sports

BYU basketball report card: Tyler Haws can't lead Cougars to NIT semifinal win

Comments

• What in Tucket? Provo, UT
    April 7, 2013 8:03 a.m.

I don't understand the title. I wouldn't blame the loss on Tyler. They were all over him too and hanging on him with no calls. Seems like Davies still needs to learn how to do layups.

• NevadaCoug Overton, NV
    April 4, 2013 9:35 p.m.

I keep hearing how wonderful Winder is. Then I see him on the floor. Unimpressed.

Trust the coaches, people. There is a reason they play one guy over another.

• agarrett PROVO, UT
    April 4, 2013 12:39 p.m.

@dumprake

I disagree. Brandon Davies is a VERY good player. He is one of the smartest big men in college basketball right now, and that's why he is playing in the College All-Star game tomorrow. Davies plays well regardless of the level of competition. Remember last time BYU played Baylor? Davies had 26 points and 17 rebounds. That's ridiculous. Everybody has an off-night sometimes, and even in an "off-night" for Davies he still scored 13 points. Here's to hoping Davies can make it to the NBA someday.

• Rikitikitavi Cardston, Alberta
    April 4, 2013 5:50 a.m.

@dumprake
    Davies' numbers clearly prove you wrong! But then we are all entitled to be wrong as are you in this case.

• ParkerCoug12 Parker, CO
    April 3, 2013 8:10 p.m.

I am a big Winder fan. He brings speed to the guard position and some defense. I don't think he was given much of a chance this year. Perhaps he was injured more than we know. The coach played a freshman in front of him toward the end of the year.

• Craiger PASCO, WA
    April 3, 2013 10:53 a.m.

dumprake, I guess it all depends on who you're comparing Davies against. Is he going to be an NBA lottery pick? No. Is he one of the best players in BYU history? Yes. Top 10 in scoring and rebounding. Am I hoping Eric Mika will be at least as good or even better? Yes, but Mika's freshman year likely won't be as good as Davies' last 2 yrs. Expect a learning curve. I just hope Nate Austin can bulk up (like 80 lbs!) and contribute more until Mika rules the paint.

• dumprake Washington, UT
    April 3, 2013 8:05 a.m.

Let's be honest here, Davies is not a very good player; the better the competition, the worse he plays. He cannot shoot, he is a poor shooter, yet late in the game, Baylor forced Davies to beat them--they knew he couldn't, he's not a shooter, and then he missed his free throws too.

Basketball is a pretty simple game, but in college you must at least have one very good post player, one very good forward and one very good guard. BYU has two pretty good guards (Haws and Carlino), their forward play this season has been pretty bad, nonexistent, and the post play? I've already commented on that. Can't wait for Erik Mika, and hopefully Rose can find a forward who is a strength on the team.