Faith

'The Bible' miniseries finishes strong five-week run

Comments

• Gildas LOGAN, UT
    April 4, 2013 9:51 a.m.

The Bible is violent imo because history is violent. The most horrific violence described in the Bible is the violence directed against Christ. The sacrifices required of ancient Israel looked to that predicted event, but the sacrifices of animals that typified it were humanely carried out whereas that directed against Christ was not.

• SCfan clearfield, UT
    April 3, 2013 11:28 a.m.

In response to Tyler D, I'll bet Bill Maher thinks that the Bible should have been on the SCI-FI channel. I'm kind of surprised he didn't, in his cynical way, say something like that. Is he mellowing out or something?

• m.g. scott clearfield, UT
    April 3, 2013 10:51 a.m.

Re: sg

That's why Mel Gibson did his movie "The Passion of the Christ" in the original Aramiac, Latin, and Hebrew.

Re: Danny Chipman

Funny that you should mention "Schindler's List". I've never been able to bring myself to watch that film because I know what the horrors of WW11 are and I just didn't have it in me to see and feel that much evil again after having watched all the other films and documentaries I have in my life on that subject. I know it is a great movie. However, I do agree that every uninformed person about Nazi Germany and WW11 needs to see it. I doubt most American students get much about how evil humanity can be. Todays schooling seems to be more interested in saving trees.

• Cinci Man FT MITCHELL, KY
    April 3, 2013 10:18 a.m.

What Bill Maher knows about religion or history could fill a ...

Oh yeah! That's the point. What he DOESN'T know constitutes ALL learning and knowledge.

• Tyler D Meridian, ID
    April 3, 2013 9:46 a.m.

Bill Maher had a funny line about this series – something about the irony of having Honey Boo Boo on the Learning Channel, Death Wish 3 on the American Movie Classics channel, and The Bible on the History Channel.

• Danny Chipman Lehi, UT
    April 2, 2013 9:54 a.m.

While I don't seek out gratuitous violence, I recognize it as being part of the human experience.

"Schindler's List" is one of my favorite films and contains numerous portrayals, real and reenacted, of violence and human degradation. I think it should be required viewing. We should never forget what evil man is capable of, lest we repeat the horrors of the past.

That being said, I've only seen a few minutes of Roma Downey's Bible series (not out of lack of interest, but lack of TV reception). So I can't really judge it fairly. I do really love the series of Bible movies put out by Turner Entertainment ("Joseph", "Genesis", "Abraham", "Esther", etc.). All high quality films, and pretty true to Biblical text while allowing speculative back story and side plots.

• donn layton, UT
    April 2, 2013 8:35 a.m.

RE: Wert,the series was a bloodbath. Not counting the torture and crucifixion of Jesus, scene after scene depicted blood spilled from humans or animals. That's the point.
    The scarlet thread running through the Bible is a picture of the Blood of Jesus Christ, shed on the Cross to wash away sin. The Old Testament( Blood Covenant)Book of Genesis, the first book of the Bible, gives us the earliest picture of the Blood. God Himself killed an animal and clothed Adam and Eve with skin. Blood had to be spilled for our first parents to have the nakedness of their sins covered, "Unto Adam also and to his wife did the Lord God make coats of skins, and clothed them" (Genesis 3:21). Their sins were covered up and forgotten, but "not without blood" (Hebrews 9:7).
    "And he took the cup, and gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, Drink ye all of it; For this is my blood of the new testament( Blood Covenant), which is shed for Many(not all) for the remission of sins" (Matthew 26:27-28).

• JWB Kaysville, UT
    April 2, 2013 8:32 a.m.

For those of us that have lived in various countries that portray the cross bearing and being beaten and even have nails drive into their hands, it is gruesome and definitely bloody. War is bloody and this was a battle of people and even Satan fighting to keep their plan of secrecy and power plays to defeat their common enemy, Jesus Christ, whether politically, economically, spiritually, emotionally, psychologically and finally, the plan that had to be fulfilled. God has given us a plan and the Apostles and Prophets are here for us this weekend. This presentation was a reminder to those whom watched the series that life and even death is not easy, especially for the sacrifice of our Savior in the Garden and on the cross he had to bear. We are the benefactors if we follow the teachings. The message was strong that there was and is a plan from God to have people in specific places at certain times for His work to be done.

What a blessing to have the freedoms to live at this time and place. Only in that area could people be able to change their whims in an instant.

• Shimlau SAINT GEORGE, UT
    April 2, 2013 8:24 a.m.

Ernest T. Bass; I am sure the Bible isn't the most violent book ever written, but as you insinuated by your comment, there is plenty of violence in it.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    April 2, 2013 8:05 a.m.

@wer: The bible is the most violent book ever written. Why white-wash it? That is done far too much around here.

• sg newhall, CA
    April 2, 2013 12:43 a.m.

I really tried to watch this version of the Bible but it was just too difficult. The acting was marginal, the script was weak and the portrayals were bland. To have an Irishman or Scotsman play Noah was ridiculous. The whole production just felt trite and cheap...maybe spiritless is the word I'm looking for.

• wer South Jordan, UT
    April 1, 2013 10:40 p.m.

While the success of "The Bible" is laudable, the series was a bloodbath. Not counting the torture and crucifixion of Jesus, scene after scene depicted blood spilled from humans or animals.

While there are those who justify this by observing that it shows "real life", many of us believe such depictions are just selling out to viewers or advertisers who are attracted to the violence, not the religious context.

• washcomom Beaverton, OR
    April 1, 2013 10:16 p.m.

Can't wait to see this in video! Thanks to Mark and Roma, they are creating a venue for those that are craving something that has roots of faith and goodness.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    April 1, 2013 8:10 p.m.

What does 'dancing with the stars' reveal an appetite for? Maybe don't read too much into this, or use it to bash 'hollywood' all the time. If someone can make a buck off of religious programming, they will, and there will be more of it.

• Craig Clark Boulder, CO
    April 1, 2013 4:39 p.m.

The Bible was a much needed break from crime dramas, sitcoms, and reality shows that perpetuate the cynical world view that's become a rut we're stuck in. The success in competition for viewers shows there is money to be made off of more stimulating TV fare than what we've been getting.

• DRay Roy, UT
    April 1, 2013 1:38 p.m.

Hollywood seems to want to set trends that are not wanted or followed by so many...Believing Christians must produce their own depictions of life, beliefs, values.