Faith

LDS Church opening new MTC facilities in Provo

Comments

• KellyWSmith Sparks, NV
    March 28, 2013 5:50 p.m.

Wasn't there a guy who lived near there and complained last year that he didn't like it when it was announced that the Church was going to make the MTC a much larger place, possibly 9 stories high?

Blame him.

• Mike in Salem Salem, UT
    March 28, 2013 4:39 p.m.

I believe a standard contract for BYU approved housing contains a provision that either party can terminate for any reason up to 90 days before the commencement date of a lease. If it is less than 90 days, the landlord cannot terminate the lease without cause. Any successor to the landlords interests is bound to the terms.

However, most of these leases also terminate at the end of the winter term. I would imagine that most students just assumed that they could renew their lease and haven't actually signed a lease for spring giving them no legal expectation to remain after their lease expires the end of the winter term.

If anyone does have a lease signed for spring, since it is less than 90 days away, the church will need to break their lease and a tenant should be able to hold out for some sort of fair settlement.

• Hawkeye79 Iowa City, IA
    March 28, 2013 4:12 p.m.

@Noodlekaboodle

Raintree typically works with contracts that expire at the end of each school year in April. The complex usually allows people an option to renew/extend their contract each year (around March), but it sounds like the renewal option was simply not offered this year.

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    March 28, 2013 1:48 p.m.

Boo Hoo.
    Here comes my crusty 'ol "I remember when" rant too --

We slept in bunks, in the gym and were "happy" about it.

In the field --
    We found our own apartments,
    Found our own furnishings,
    arrainged our own transportaion,
    installed our own phones and utilities,
    ...and we were "happy" about it.

BTW - I have a picture of me and my companion,
    sleeping on couches with cigarette burn holes all over,
    without any cushions,
    that we had found and dragged out of a dumpster,
    using a fly swatter to kill all the roaches,
    getting a 50 pound bag of Idaho potatoes from a member,
    and with tears in our eyes,
    ...we were "happy" about it.

Missionaries today are too soft.

• m.g. scott LAYTON, UT
    March 28, 2013 1:23 p.m.

Some say the numbers will stabilize back to the level before the age change after this initial influx of new 18 and 19 year olds. It might however stay high because some, particularly women, will go on a mission at 19 that they wouldn't have gone on at 21. So, long term expansion may still be necessary. In either case, great to see this missionary effort happening.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    March 28, 2013 12:33 p.m.

KinCO
    Fort Collins, CO

True, but perhaps a bit harsh. I used to live in RainTree back in the day when it was all that. My life got dramatically better when I moved to Brown House Down on the south side of campus.

I wonder if the church owns that complex, or if they just negotiated for the whole block? I suppose if you were given notice, it doesn't much matter.

• Whoa Nellie American Fork, UT
    March 28, 2013 12:35 p.m.

Maybe some of those students/tenants currently in Raintree could delay the hassle of moving by becoming a missionary. Then they could just stay put for another month or two.

• KinCO Fort Collins, CO
    March 28, 2013 11:50 a.m.

Look, there are bazillions of empty apartments in Provo in the summertime available for very low rents. No one at Raintree will have any trouble finding another place to live. Some people have a hard time with change, especially unplanned change. That is understandable. But there are more than enough nice places for Raintree residents to move to for the spring/summer terms. Finding a place for fall semester may be a bit trickier, but then again with so many kids going on missions--maybe not. Life is full of surprises. The sooner you learn to roll with them, the happier you (and those around you) will be.

• Say No to BO Mapleton, UT
    March 28, 2013 10:51 a.m.

Some missionaries go right to the mission field.
    Recently we had an Elder in our Branch go right from home to the Cleveland Mission. His family got to drive him there. No MTC at all.
    Why is that?

• Noodlekaboodle Poplar Grove, UT
    March 28, 2013 10:09 a.m.

To the students at Raintree I would look at the contract I signed with a fine tooth comb. Depending on the type of lease, I've never lived in student housing so i'm not aware of how those contracts work, but in a normal apartment if you sign a lease you can't be removed unless you don't pay or violate lease terms. Just because the landlord (LDS church?) wants you to move you doesn't necessarily mean you are legally required to move. A lease isn't just to protect the landlords rights, it's also to protect the rights of the tenant.

• Strider303 Salt Lake City, UT
    March 28, 2013 9:58 a.m.

In the beginning, November 1961, missionaries were housed in the old Roberts Hotel, on about 200 South University Ave. and walked up to campus for classes. In August 1962, I resided in Allen Hall and walked up to the old Alumni Bldg, now Hinckley Center for Spanish classes.

Growth, especially rapid growth, is usually a little messy and unorganized in the beginning. The USAF airman training at Sheppard AFB runs three shifts a day to maximize classroom space five days a week. Be glad the MTC runs one longer shift a day.

I wonder if the good neighbors of the MTC will complain about this planned expansion like they did with the last one? The area ought to be nicknamed "NIMBY Neighborhood" in my not so humble opinion.

• MoJules Florissant, MO
    March 28, 2013 9:50 a.m.

I do feel bad for the people at Raintree, I think that you can choose if the glass is half empty or half full. I believe that this missionary thrust is so important and it is a service to give up your home to forward the work. And just think of your pioneer ancestors, they didn't have much notice and they had to go in the cold winter and walk a long long way. Good luck to all of you and of course, how awesome to have this work exploding. I do think that there will still be a higher amount going, cause many would not go for different reasons at the older age.

• MishMomX2 Hampden, ME
    March 28, 2013 9:43 a.m.

Why not open an MTC on the East Coast of the US? We've got SVU with a 98% Mormon population, so the needs are there. Just a thought.....

• North Guy Corinne, UT
    March 28, 2013 9:31 a.m.

The LDS church will do the best they can to house and accomodate these young missionaries. As has been stated a year from now the numbers of departing missionaries will decline and level out.It will not preclude the need for new and larger facilities however. Residents living near the MTC opposed the church building onto the MTC this past year and the LDS church pulled the plug on that plan.

• JWB Kaysville, UT
    March 28, 2013 9:21 a.m.

Reminiscent of the 1960s when we used various buildings to live in as the Language Training Mission increased it's scope of the languages included in the mission. What a blessing for missionaries to be able to learn a language and teachings to be better prepared for their next 18 - 24 months in the mission field.

It is too bad that they don't have a real complex as had been planned for the MTC. Logistics and safety of the missionaries is not as good with these various buildings to have to deal with and time during the day. It is an impact for the students that are displaced for now, also.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    March 28, 2013 9:00 a.m.

This is why Provo has more blessings.

• Jenbug2015 Provo, UT
    March 28, 2013 8:45 a.m.

@SundanceKid27: I live at Raintree and they JUST told us about this last night. After I'd signed contracts for the summer and the fall. So yeah, it looks like they're just voiding them. Which, I'm happy that they're going to a good cause, but at the same time, why did they lead us on to believe that they were here and let me re-sign. Especially since the article sounds like it's been in the works for awhile. The frustrating part is, I have a month to find housing or pack up and move to Glenwood, which is not where I need to go because of traveling to UVU where I go to school, I take the bus and there's no bus stop near glenwood that I can take to get where I need to go.

• Diligent Dave Logan, UT
    March 28, 2013 8:16 a.m.

Reminds me of old LTM (Language Training Mission) buildings. They were quite a hodge podge of a number of buildings, cobbled together, what appeared to me then as an afterthought conglomeration.

Often, though, much of what has been done over the decades regarding missionary work often has come across to me as what appears as an afterthought.

I also remember the military style "rude awakenings" at the old SLC Mission Home, housed in the old school that was just North of the current high Church Office Building. The volume that the audio system was set at, when some man in the mission presidency (I suppose) said, "Elders and Sisters, time to get up!" I was sleeping in the top bunk of the 3-level bunks used then. Almost had to peel myself off the ceiling then (LOL)!

The old "Monsieur Durant" "discussion" booklets were soon replaced by a much better written and organized "new" "discussions" (lessons). I long thought that some help in who we approached and how in France could have helped our success. I still think it could. The logistics and tactics of "contacting" could likely be much improved.

• goforit Provo, UT
    March 28, 2013 7:39 a.m.

My daughter lives at Raintree and has been told that she must vacate by April 20th. That gives her three weeks to find another place. She is not a BYU student but chooses to live where there is BYU approved stantards. I know she will find another place, but it is still very traumatic for someone who thought they had a place to live through Spring and Summer and even next Fall / Winter.

• Jazzledazzle Provo, UT
    March 28, 2013 7:27 a.m.

Why all the concern about students at Raintree? You think the church is gonna be like, oh sorry, pack up your stuff. Come on, the church is the most organized group I know. Making students leave without arrangements is hardly something the church would do.

Not to mention, I know some dorms at BYU were vacant or close to it because attendance is down with so many young people going on missions. There is not a lack of alternatives here.

• Lone Star Cougar Plano, TX
    March 28, 2013 7:07 a.m.

This is good. I hope the students at Raintree and Wyview are being taken care of!

• J-TX Allen, TX
    March 28, 2013 7:03 a.m.

Hmmm. My son just submitted his papers with availability right after HS graduation in June. Maybe we should wait....

• Krisjhn Bountiful, UT
    March 28, 2013 6:55 a.m.

I am curious if they will hold onto these properties or sell them once the influx settles down.

The missionary application rate is so high because both 18 & 19 year old gents along with both 19 & 21 year old gals are eligible to go on missions. But in about a year that will change with applications only coming from the 18 year old guys and 19 year old girls. When that happens the MTC will have too much living space.

• Say No to BO Mapleton, UT
    March 28, 2013 6:28 a.m.

Back in the late summer of 1973 we slept in bunk beds on the basketball court of the Women's Gym.
    Our classes were held in some old barracks buildings on campus.

• SundanceKid27 OREM, UT
    March 28, 2013 1:29 a.m.

What is happening to those students who have contracts at Raintree. Is it all of a sudden the apartment complex is going to void those contracts.

• Vladhagen Salt Lake City, UT
    March 27, 2013 10:59 p.m.

Very interesting. Just had a cousin enter today going to Australia. He will b gone by May, but great to see the need of housing for missionaries being so great that they are bursting at the seams.