Sports

BYU football: Kyle Van Noy looking to savor senior season

Comments

• Oatmeal Woods Cross, UT
    March 29, 2013 11:39 a.m.

2BCSWINS,

You make it sound like you miss the days of the MWC, when your team got two BCS wins by playing a schedule easier than BYU's 2012 nad 2013 schedules.

But the Utes are not in the MWC anymore, they can't get into a bowl game and they'll never see the Rose Bowl in 2013-14. Enjoy watching your team get slapped down by PAC-12 powerhouses year, after year, after year...

• 2BCSWINS West of I15, UT
    March 28, 2013 8:30 a.m.

@Sports nonauthority...."Sometimes you lose the battle, but win the war. BYU has won the war the last two seasons."

Cougies are use to losing battles against quality teams like Utah. You would be correct however they do win the war as long as the war is against wac/mt. west teams. I believe the only battle/war against even a decent opponenet the last few years would be ut. state.

Way to be proud of your team not being able to beat a decent team though. By the way Utah hasn't been much better I'm not trying to say that. But I'm also not going to jump on and start telling AZ St. fan's were the better team although they have beaten us the last two years.

• backpacn Sandy, UT
    March 27, 2013 2:07 p.m.

navelvet

"Utah out-recruiting your irrelevant WACish program 6 straight years"

Which program was denied a bowl berth last season because they were incapable of beating the only WAC team they faced?

Despite the childish, BYU-hating rancor, you're all talk, but no walk.

• Cougarista Salt Lake City, UT
    March 27, 2013 1:45 p.m.

Kyle is an example of a person who is great at sports and has undergone significant personal growth in college. According to the NCAA, that is one justification for collegiate athletics. Mean spirited posts about KVN reveal a huge amount about those who make them and nothing about Kyle. Stay above it Kyle.

• skywalker Palo Alto, CA
    March 27, 2013 1:39 p.m.

navelvet

"Utah hadn't recruited below 9th since 2009, and had averaged #7 among teams in the Pac-10/12 over those past 5 recruiting seasons."

Yet, U haven't beaten a single PAC 10.2 team with a winning record (7-11 against conference foes). Either your recruiting or coaches are vastly over-rated .

It's interesting how much more successful Bronco has been with his supposedly "inferior" recruits.

More Top 25 Finishes, more Top 15 Finishes, more 10+ win seasons, more conference championships, more bowl games, and more wins.

Of course, Kyle does lead in a couple of categories, more losing seasons and more losses to 10-loss teams.

Kyle caught lightning in a bottle in 2008, but has done precious little before or since.

btw, it's laughable how you cherry-pick your rankings.

2013 Athlon Sports PAC-12 Team Recruiting Rankings
    #9 Utah
    #10 Washington St
    #11 Stanford
    #12 Colorado

• truecoug1 Provo, UT
    March 27, 2013 1:33 p.m.

@NavalVet "10th huh? Not according to Rivals. Per Rivals, Utah hadn't recruited below 9th since 2009, and had averaged #7 among teams in the Pac-10/12 over those past 5 recruiting seasons."

Putting aside your love of all things Rivals (which is just plain hilarious since according to you they're obviously the ONLY "valid and reliable recruiting" database, because recruiting is NEVER subjective...I'm hoping you're picking up on my sarcasm here), what you're saying is that Utah has averaged being in the bottom half of the PAC 12 in recruiting for the last 5 years?

That sounda about right. Good call, Naval Vet.

Go Cougars!

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    March 27, 2013 1:19 p.m.

NV,

So has U're recruiting improved or fallen off over the last three years? Because if it corresponds to the U's overall football success over the past three years...

But hey, you have that win over the Y, what is it, something like three years in a row now? And u're one in a row against your new ferocious rival, the Buffaloed.

To the rest of any Polite U fans reading this article and these boards, I apologize. I really shouldn't allow NV to provoke me. I really do think Whit will get things running north and south again.

• Herbert Gravy Salinas, CA
    March 27, 2013 12:17 p.m.

Red Alert - The games will be decided on the field. And, thanks to "Mildred in Fillmore" for being one of the few to have something positive to say.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    March 27, 2013 11:11 a.m.

SportsFan:

"I'll take a team full of 2-star...athletes ANY DAY..."

Of course you will. What other choice do you have? As a fan of a team that no relevant conference wanted, recruiting top-tier talent will always be somewhat of a nasty thorn in your side. You'll just kind of have to take whatever you're given, and pray for more LDS boys being born with both highly touted 3-, 4-, and 5-star talent, and a road map to Provostan.

"...the Utes are constantly being out-recruited by the majority of the conference - 10th in 2013. LOL!"

10th huh? Not according to Rivals. Per Rivals, Utah hadn't recruited below 9th since 2009, and had averaged #7 among teams in the Pac-10/12 over those past 5 recruiting seasons. You're just having a tantrum over Utah out-recruiting your irrelevant WACish program 6 straight years -- and with the past 3 classes not even CLOSE!

• oldcougar Orem, UT
    March 27, 2013 10:27 a.m.

Millie,

Do you think he could start for the Millard Eagles?

• SportsFan Orem, UT
    March 27, 2013 10:29 a.m.

navelvet

Remind us again which bowl all of those 5-star athletes on the hill played in last season.

I'll take a team full of 2-star athletes who play like 4- and 5-star athletes ANY DAY over a team loaded with self-absorbed 4- and 5-star athletes who think they're entitled to success just for stepping onto the playing field.

btw, you've never addressed the question how Utah is going compete in the PAC 10.2, when the Utes are constantly being out-recruited by the majority of the conference - 10th in 2013. LOL!

• Gilmore in Milford Spanish Fork, UT
    March 27, 2013 10:24 a.m.

Utah has 3 linebackers this year that run 4.2 40's.

• sls Columbia, MO
    March 27, 2013 10:00 a.m.

A bowl game win creates optimism for the next season and gives valuable experience to younger players. That, plus the national exposure from games on ESPN and NBC, will give BYU a competitive advantage over the utes that will only grow over time. When the utes stay at home for the postseason and their games are buried on the Pac12 network that is dominated by teams they will never be able to recruit against, their program will dwindle into insignificance despite getting more revenue. KVN is largely responsible for the Poinsettia Bowl victory and he will continue to garner attention this year with a great schedule that begins on the east coast and ends in his home town.

• Mildred in Fillmore Salt Lake City, UT
    March 27, 2013 9:52 a.m.

He is by far the best linebacker in the country.

• IDC Boise, ID
    March 27, 2013 9:51 a.m.

I was sure he was gone after his performance in the bowl. I love the guy and am impressed that he is completing his degree. Can't wait for football to start. Any chance the spring game gets televised?

• So. Cal Reader San Diego, CA
    March 27, 2013 9:20 a.m.

Van Noy is a pure joy to watch each and every game. Dude's motor never has an off-switch! Let's hope for another superb (and healthy!) season for him.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    March 27, 2013 8:30 a.m.

He's dang good.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    March 27, 2013 8:21 a.m.

CougFaninTX:

"If I was given the choice between KVN returning for his Senior season or getting the #1 high school recruit, I wouldn't even have to think about it."

Well I guess that really doesn't matter, since you'll never have to make that choice. If there WERE a choice, it'd be between keeping Van Noy or recruiting the #1 "2-star" recruit in country. And in which case, I'd have picked Van Noy too if I were you.

• TheSportsAuthority Arlington, VA
    March 27, 2013 8:16 a.m.

2b

I'll bet KVN was far more satisfied with his dominating performance in the Poinsettia Bowl than any Utah player was watching bowl season from the comfort of their couch.

2011
    #25/#26/#34 BYU(10-3) > unranked Utah(8-5)

2012
    unranked/#26 BYU(8-5) bowl winner > unranked/#61 Utah bowl no show

• 2BCSWINS West of I15, UT
    March 27, 2013 7:59 a.m.

@Y's little brother..."Get used to disappointment!"

Really? At best KVN would be 1 - 3 against the U and could be 0 - 4. Don't know about you but I think it would be the other way around for the disappointment.

As much as it pains me to say anything positive about a cougie. I have to give KVN credit the guy is a beast. I admit I wish he would have gone pro. IMO this is the best Y defensive player maybe all time. At the very least he would be up there with anybody else. If it wasn't for KVN the Y has an L in there bowl game last year no doubt about it.

• J-TX Allen, TX
    March 27, 2013 7:21 a.m.

This kid OWNED the Poinsettia Bowl.

I hope he avoids injury and dominates this year.

• backpacn Sandy, UT
    March 26, 2013 11:35 p.m.

howie

"KVN getting to know Travis Wilson?"

More like he got to know SDSU QB Adam Dingwell.

Erickson's carefully orchestrated offense will be in shambles when KVN is through with U.

• Cougars1 Bluffdale, UT
    March 26, 2013 11:21 p.m.

Howard,
    I am not the one making predictions. You are. Why don't you back it up with a final score? As for 2010,2011, and 2012; I don't make predictions, I just enjoy the game. What was your prediction in 2006, 2007 and 2009? Remember, you're the one making predictions, not me.

• Howard S. Taylorsville, UT
    March 26, 2013 9:31 p.m.

@Cougars1

Wouldn't bet on it?

What was your prediction in 2010, 2011, and 2012?

hmmmmmmm?

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    March 26, 2013 9:25 p.m.

Howard S - give us a final score.

Howard S - where will your boys finish in the pac?

• Howard S. Taylorsville, UT
    March 26, 2013 9:16 p.m.

@CougFaninTX

KVN getting to know Travis Wilson?

You mean like he got to know second string Johnathan Hays in 2012?

You mean like he got to know Jordan Wynn in 2011?

You mean like he got to know an injured Jordan Wynn and a ineffective Terrance Cain in 2010.

Yeah... I hope KVN gets to know Travis Wilson too.

• Cougars1 Bluffdale, UT
    March 26, 2013 9:12 p.m.

Howard,
    I wouldn't bet the house on it.

• Y's little brother Sandy, UT
    March 26, 2013 9:03 p.m.

Howard S.

"Looking forward to watching KVN log a 0-4 record against Utah."

Get used to disappointment!

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    March 26, 2013 8:38 p.m.

If I was given the choice between KVN returning for his Senior season or getting the #1 high school recruit, I wouldn't even have to think about it. KVN is a difference maker. He almost single handedly beat SDSU, and he will do the same this year against other teams. He has a legit shot at the Butkus award and being a top 10 NFL pick next year. I'm really looking forward to him getting to know Travis Wilson this year. Go Cougs!

• Howard S. Taylorsville, UT
    March 26, 2013 8:13 p.m.

Looking forward to watching KVN log a 0-4 record against Utah.

• I Bleed Blue Las Vegas, NV
    March 26, 2013 8:07 p.m.

His leadership will be a difference maker.

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    March 26, 2013 8:01 p.m.

"I feel like I need to be more of a leader, but I'm more of a lead-by-example guy. I'm going to take that route more. But ultimately, I need to open my mouth more."

This sentence belongs in an AT&T commercial.