BYU football notebook: Quarterback Taysom Hill emerging as a team leader

• Cougar in Texas Houston, TX
    March 28, 2013 5:22 p.m.

Naval Vet (and others),
    Riley Nelson covers the circumstances around his post-mission transfer in great detail in a BYUtv Cougar Conversations episode back before last season. The interview lasts 50 minutes but the portions relative to his transfer are between the 21:30 and 25:30 marks.

I also encourage you to look up the definition of "recruit" as a verb. Saying BYU recruited Nelson during his mission is inaccurate.

• Stgeorgebyu St. Georg, UT
    March 28, 2013 1:27 p.m.

How is 3 scholarship QB and one walk-on (a starter for 2 seasons)not be an abundance? You should think before you post!

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    March 27, 2013 3:08 p.m.

Why is it hypocritical Sammy? Are you saying I am uncivil? If so, I deny being that way. It's not my objective to cause unrest. I guess you could say I am "whining" but mainly I seek to make a plea for civility now that you bring it up.

As you know, I am a relatively active Ute poster here. But are you sure you want to lump me in with the red fellows who are extreme? You might be confusing me with others because I have strong opinions at times. But I don't say things to upset anybody and I don't know why you and Duckhunter write that I see it one sided. I have stated for years on these posts that it cuts both ways and that some Ute comments are not nice ones. Sure I focus on your end with Duckhunter because I would like to see him tone it down.

Seriously though, I have always admitted it's not one sided. Ironically, I don't EVER recall you two calling out BYU fans although I could be wrong. So why the beef with me when your kettle needs cleaning on the subject matter?

• wwookie Payson, UT
    March 27, 2013 2:49 p.m.

"Leadership is a trait head coach Bronco Mendenhall values in all his players"

question: if they are all leaders, who is being led?

• sammyg Springville, UT
    March 26, 2013 4:02 p.m.

There is nothing worse nor more hypocritical than certain "fans" whining about civility on a BYU story. Geesh.

Thank you for being the straight-up no non-sense person you are. It is much appreciated.

• plyxply SLC, UT
    March 26, 2013 10:51 a.m.

Ammon Olsen is picking up the offense much quicker than the other qb's, has the best arm, and is a great leader and proven winner. Hill is more athletic and runs the ball better and has the experience, but doesn't make as good of reads or pick up the nuances like Olsen does.
    Hopefully the coaches keep handing the ball to Olsen, he's been with the one's most of this week and looks very good in practice.
    Hill would be a great change of pace qb, but Olsen is a prototypical BYU throwing qb which is what the Cougars need at this point.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    March 26, 2013 10:24 a.m.

No cut-&-paste quote from me "demand"-ing anything? Nothing?

So in other words, what you're saying is that you did indeed frantically and emotionally made that up. I thought so. Typical Indy-WACer.

Case closed.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    March 26, 2013 9:59 a.m.

As usual you only have your "indignant meltdown" over one side. Par for the course.

Once you admit that it is not a one sided arrangement then people might, just might, take your "frantic and emotional" pleas seriously.

did you read the very first post on this thread? Did you see the completely unfounded accusation and attempt to denigrate that was in that post? It appears not.

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    March 25, 2013 6:58 p.m.

Frantic and emotional? Indignant meltdowns? Drama central is the never ending theme. Except the one using these silly words is the one who loves meltdowns and stirred emotions. In fact, he laughs out loud when these emotional things occur (or he supposes/induces they occur). The irritation of others puts a smile on his face.

No, I am not making this up. The relative one puts these labels in writing over and over. Maybe the DesNews should see the writing on the wall and use their censorship criteria set forth and realize this stuff is against their friendly comment protocol. Sometimes I can't help but wonder how selective they are with who they censor.

Is this a BYU paper or a fair community place to read and post equally? Honestly, I wonder if this comment will be censored. Don't mind that their is a little thought behind it other than just mocking people.

Although I wish the red and blue extremists would stop the childish insults, I myself don't favor censorship. But if it is present, say in a forum like this, I expect it to contain equal rejection to all.

• Herbert Gravy Salinas, CA
    March 25, 2013 1:00 p.m.

Please don't be mad to "Naval Vet". He tries so hard.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    March 25, 2013 10:56 a.m.

"naval's 'frantic and emotional' post calling someone else out and demanding they admit they are worong [sic]..."

Please cut-&-paste my exact words where I "demand"-ed an Indy-WACer to admit they were wrong. And don't forget the date and time stamp. Can you? No? Well then I guess YOU were wrong too. You frantically and emotional made that up. That was so very Indy-WACey of you.

• BlueNtheFace Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    March 25, 2013 10:41 a.m.

You're wrong about Nelson being recruited by BYU on his mission. I do have inside information about that. His Logan HS coach (Andersen) told me that he would not be returning to USU post-mission, that he would go to BYU even if he had to walk on and/or change positions. He and his father actively recruited BYU before, during and after his mission. He also obtained permission and left at least 2 months before his 19th birthday to facilitate a timely return, in time to get back in shape before Fall camp.

Don't let emotions get the best of you and certainly don't put them on display in your comments. Your attempt to smear BYU and Taysom Hill is what I'm talking about here.

Go BYU!!

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    March 25, 2013 10:09 a.m.

naval's "frantic and emotional" post calling someone else out and demanding they admit they are worong is without a doubt the funniest thing I have ever read on these boards.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    March 25, 2013 9:08 a.m.

1 QB is a sr and this will be it for him, 1 qb will leave for a mission after spring practice, 1 is a freshman and will probably redshirt, and one is a walkon and does not take a scholarship. That means BYU will have 3 scholarship qb's on the active roster next season and one wlakon, hardly an overabundance. You really need to think things through a little bit better before you post stuff.

• shorts Payson, UT
    March 25, 2013 6:45 a.m.

RE:Naval Vet
    Philadelphia, PA

You say Riley Nelson was 'recruited' while on his mission. What inside information do you have that no one else has? Where is your proof? Just because someone repeat a lie don't make it true. If the NCAA has not punished BYU in anyway, if no news paper every found proof to publish facts that BYU cheated then how is it someone in Philadelphia, PA know so much about the recuitement of Riley Nelson. You say we could just ask Riley Nelson. Well Riley has never said that he was never contacted on a mission by BYU. Do you think that the local papers have never ask him that question? If the question has been ask and there was nothing to report what do you think he said?

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    March 24, 2013 10:17 p.m.

Gilmer, remember? He's recovering from knee surgery? But at that, a much accelerated recovery COULD indicate real focus on doing the hard work to recover as quick as possible. A faucet of leadership, by the way.

You are out of line to indicate that Doman or Mendenhall did not care about success on the field. Cheap shot, and ignorant.

And the season was good last year. Not great, not stellar, but better than some of the neighbors. With a better/healthier qb, it COULD have been top 10, SHOULD have been top 25, but it WAS a winning season and a bowl game. Again. Don't let your bitter disappointment with what COULD have been destroy what was.

And, Wayne? Move on. Time to move on, bro.

• Cougar Claws Lindon, UT
    March 24, 2013 10:09 p.m.

Re: idablu

Beyond that, Hill seems to be a lot more QB intelligent than Nelson, along with being much more poised and having a much better presence in the pocket. I think that is likely the biggest difference of all. That doesn't mean he is immune to mistakes (because of the knee incident), but it does mean I think he seems a lot sharper in his ability to make smart on the field decisions, and BYU has lacked that at QB probably since John Beck.

• GilmerTexasCougar Gilmer, TX
    March 24, 2013 8:55 p.m.

Riley Nelson's "leadership" didn't get the Cougars very far last year. I hope success on the football field means more to Anae than it meant last year to Doman and Mendenhall. I'm quite troubled that Hill is tops for leadership but not necessarily how he is playing.

• JCBYU West Jordan, UT
    March 24, 2013 8:32 p.m.

Children,children, give the Naval guy a break. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Afterall, it's just sports, not life and death or salvation. Relax... And enjoy 3 years of Riley Nelson's sequel. haha kidding. Hill is a great QB, very impressed with him last spring and the 2 games last season of which he went 2-0. Once injured, the risk goes up to get re-injured, so BYU fans need to look closely at the backup race, because he will be the starter at some point

• eastcoastcoug Danbury, CT
    March 24, 2013 8:20 p.m.

@ Naval,

I've never heard Riley explain how he was "recruited". No visits. No calls. No contact. No one has EVER explained or proven that any "recruiting" took place. Just third party hearsay. Nice try though making stuff up...

I don't post on Ute articles. Period. You don't need to crank it up on our side. Just cheer for yours.

Now, I may have missed all the places you posted, but you are still in the "wrong" for spending so much time and energy putting down fans of another school. It just sounds like sour grapes in the end.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    March 24, 2013 5:19 p.m.

Barring injury, Hill will get the starting nod. But it's nice knowing Olsen is progressing so well to back him up. Their styles are similar enough that we won't have to change the offense if we change QBs. Even though they can both run, I hope Anae doesn't call 15 - 20 running plays per game for them.

Does Stewart have a red-shirt available? If so, we should use it unless he moves up to the #2.

Billy Green will likely red-shirt and run the scout team.

It will be another interesting battle to see whether Green or Mangum win the QB job after Hill / Olsen.

• Christine B. Hedgefog Salt Lake City, UT
    March 24, 2013 5:21 p.m.

Having several quality QBs is a great problem to have. Just be glad that poor recruiting hasn't forced Bronco to put all his eggs from the most important position on the field into a single, fragile, habitually injured basket like, say a Jordan Wynn. And be glad the only backup option available should the starting QB go down isn't a D2 transfer like, say a Jon Hays.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    March 24, 2013 5:15 p.m.

Can we let Riley Nelson RIP? Almost all us were begging for Bronco to put him in when Heaps was struggling. He was not a premiere QB, but he played decent when he was healthy. The problem was the Bronco or Doman continued to play him when he was in pain. He should have never been in the game against Utah, Boise State or San Jose St. I truly enjoyed watching him rally the team against Utah State and Tulsa in 2011. He played pretty well against Washington St this year, but was never the same after the hit against Weber St. The coaches should have sat him until he was well and should have never let him run 15 - 20 X per game.

You watch, he will be extremely successful in real life.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    March 24, 2013 3:55 p.m.

Could be a really dominating year

• GD Syracuse, UT
    March 24, 2013 2:45 p.m.

If you ask Riley you will find out he wasn't recruited by BYU, I like Olsen. I don't see them in practice but I did see Olsen in the state championship game when he was in high school and he is a winner. My brother saw Hill up in Idaho and says the same thing. I guess both are good.

• DRay Roy, UT
    March 24, 2013 2:21 p.m.

Omaha, NE:

"Six quarterbacks and hurting for defensive backs, maybe if one of them wants to play they will ask to move to defense. Once Bronco picks Hill no one else will play for the next three years."
    ---Taysom himself showed how quickly a qb can be done in by injury...qb's need to be 3 or 4 deep...other 2? maybe a defensive back or two there.
    ...its the Offensive Line that is key to the offense, if they play well, any of the top three qb's can lead Y to great season.

• ParkerCoug12 Parker, CO
    March 24, 2013 1:17 p.m.

I was super impressed with Hill last year. Given a little more playing time, they would have easily beat BSU last year. He is an athlete. His arm seems fine. Give him a chance to throw the ball and get some reps, and the naysayers will like him.

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    March 24, 2013 12:19 p.m.

I can tell you this about Hill. He has better size, better speed, and a better arm than Nelson ever had. And if he does indeed have at least the same leadership qualities as Nelson, then he is clearly and upgrade from Nelson. So to all you naysayers, just because Bronco likes the guy and appreciates his leadership qualities, it doesn't make him a lousy QB. Let's reserve judgment at least until the end of fall camp or the opening couple of games.

One thing Hill has going for him. If he performs well at BYU, he already has an "in" with a very successful head coach in the NFL....

I agree that BYU has way too many QB's. Wasted scholarships that could go to the more sparse positions.

• ImaCaMan Oceanside, CA
    March 24, 2013 12:01 p.m.

He's the leader "not necessarily by performance". Uh oh,haven't we seen this before?

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    March 24, 2013 10:56 a.m.

"That post was for utah "fans" like yourself and naval who get all worked up and accuse BYU of recruiting kids on their missions, and it worked because you got all worked up about it."

You really need to get out more.

• Jim1027 St. George, UT
    March 24, 2013 10:07 a.m.

So let me understand this, Harbaugh comes to visit a guy he recruited and they still have a great relationship. Does that sound like cheating has gone on?

Somebody is reading to many romance novels.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    March 24, 2013 9:47 a.m.

"...he's usually the first to read a BYU article and comment on them."

If that's true, then you wouldn't have a hard time providing the name of another cougar article wherein I was first to comment. Can you do that? No? How frantic and emotional of you.

"I just want someone to explain to me how a kid is 'recruited' while on his mission."

If you REALLY wanted to know, just go ask Riley Nelson.

"How come I never see you on the articles about Utah?"

I don't know. Because you didn't read the comments on any of the following articles???

(1) The University of Utah football pro day super-cut (Mar. 21 and 22)
    (2) Brad Rock: Kruger and Company open for business on Ute Pro Day (Mar. 22)
    (3) Utes Football: Utah opens the Erickson era at first day of spring training (Mar. 21 and 22)
    (4) Utes set to kick off spring football (Mar. 20)
    (5) Utes upset Florida with perfect performance (Mar. 17)

How come I never see you admit when you're wrong?

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    March 24, 2013 9:32 a.m.

I know what missions are all about and I know BYU does not recruit kids on their missions. That post was for utah "fans" like yourself and naval who get all worked up and accuse BYU of recruiting kids on their missions, and it worked because you got all worked up about it.

• MajMarine Salt Lake City, UT
    March 24, 2013 8:48 a.m.

Yes, Naval Vet, you are correct. You have uncovered one of the biggest recruiting scandals in recent memory--one in which Harbaugh has not yet said one word. Who's keeping him quiet? What does Mendenhall have on Harbaugh? Quite frankly, I am at a loss as to why you have not contacted the national media to dig into the story. I'm sure you'll get to it and give us more detail after you're done completing your research on how the federal government brought down the WTC, etc. Oh--and to save you from another project? We learned who shot JR a long time ago.

• flatlander Omaha, NE
    March 24, 2013 8:26 a.m.

• sls Columbia, MO
    March 24, 2013 7:23 a.m.

@Naval Vet

Left BYU but can't leave it alone?

• eastcoastcoug Danbury, CT
    March 24, 2013 5:46 a.m.

@ Naval Vet,

How come I never see you on the articles about Utah? I don't post on Ute stories. Unless I want to congratulate them. We're talking about a bunch of young kids after all, who are awesome (for the most part) goal-oriented over-achievers.

I invite you and your buddies to go click the tab for "Utes" and cheer for your team...the clicks are rather low over there.

• eastcoastcoug Danbury, CT
    March 24, 2013 5:38 a.m.

@ Naval Vet,

I just want someone to explain to me how a kid is "recruited" while on his mission. Tell me how that works when the only people missionaries talk to are their parents on Mother's Day and Christmas. Did BYU coaches fly all the way to Australia to talk to Hill? I think one of these so-called "recruits" (or his companions) would have squealed by now about a mission visit or a series of phone calls.

Fact is, it just doesn't happen. More likely, there are other reasons that come up (google "Taysom Hill mission" and read the SL Trib article where Hill explains his reason. Quite logical. Kids going on missions have their lives interrupted and more time to think or rethink their direction. If anyone is guilty of "recruiting" perhaps the peer group of missionaries among who are many BYU students make some feel they want to go to BYU. This may change as kids go out at 18 straight from home.

Like most conspiracy theories, some people just want to believe that things are carefully orchestrated and engineered by dark, shadowy agents. Otherwise, how else could things turn out the way they are?

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    March 24, 2013 2:30 a.m.

@ Duckhunter

Missionaries make a big commitment and a lot of sacrifices to do what they do. It's important to them and it's important to the LDS church that they take their service seriously. It is disrespectful, hypocritical, and probably unethical, to approach kids with the kind of distraction that football provides.

• kaysvillecougar KAYSVILLE, UT
    March 24, 2013 12:18 a.m.

Hey cougar blue, Naval V has read all these sites. In fact he's usually the first to read a BYU article and comment on them. So yea, he understands and knows the narrative. He just has a deep hatred for his BYU. Really strange how obsessed some people can be.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    March 23, 2013 11:42 p.m.

I don't care if BYU did recruit him on his mission, if that is an advantage they have then put it to use. Guys like the lint are just envious of it and that makes me smile.

• Thinkman Provo, UT
    March 23, 2013 11:11 p.m.

Cougars need more than just a "leader." been there done that with Riley. We need a leader who can actually hit a target more than 10 yards down field.

• Vladhagen Salt Lake City, UT
    March 23, 2013 11:12 p.m.

That whole quote about Riley is sure to open a can of worms. I think that his leadership was usually pretty good, it was more that he just wasn't skill wise a superstar QB. And I think he knew that. As good of a guy as Lark was, I do not think that he was the answer either though. Look at the bowl game for that. A mediocre showing when it all comes down to it. True, it was only his second start, but the TCU game was only #2 for Riley as well. Anyway. I think we need to move on about the whole Riley thing last season. Hill is the QB now. Support him and move on.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    March 23, 2013 11:06 p.m.

Exciting news about all of these QBs. Before we know it it will be August.

And by the way folks, our little friend is still mad for not making the BYU golf team, couldn't grow a beard, had to go to Hawaii, had to sit at home and watch BYU during the recent holidays, still hooked on BYU basketball in the NIT and can't find his Utes anywhere on the program guide.

`Maybe now you will just ignore him. LOL

• JDL Magna, UT
    March 23, 2013 10:15 p.m.

Quite honestly, I hope Ammon Olson gives Taysom all he can handle.

Naval Vet u already knew exactly what transpired and u already knew there was no begrudging Taysom Hill by Stanford and u already knew about the mid-year transfer situation and u know full well that BYU did not recruit Taysom while on his mission and u already know u are a ute hack but what u don't know is that u'are not funny.

• Wayne Rout El Paso, TX
    March 23, 2013 10:11 p.m.

I forget, how did Riley's great leadership give us any wins, like in the TCU game where he panicked almost every time he got the ball? Oh, I remember, he could field punts in practice, not throw the ball in games. I hope we are not headed for more of the same.

• CougarBlue Heber City, UT
    March 23, 2013 9:57 p.m.

NavalVet, it helps to have a memory of previous articles and the storyline which was written about Standford wanting to come home early from his mission, which he was not willing to do. Standford, then wanted him to sit around for a semester after his mission before enrolling. This has been covered fairly extensively, both on TrueBlue, BYU apps, the Deseret News and the SL Trib, as well as in the Daily Universe. A true blue BYU fan would remember these stories.

• RockOn Spanish Fork, UT
    March 23, 2013 9:55 p.m.

What is it with people like Navel V that just has to find something nefarious in anything BYU? Is there no end to the hatred, jealousy and envy? See PapaSmurf for the answer any intelligent person would find.

• PapaSmurf Rocklin, CA
    March 23, 2013 9:24 p.m.

No Naval Vet, he is referring to Stanford wanting him to leave his mission early as they do not accept mid-year enrollees, forcing Hill to sit out longer than he desired or to transfer.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    March 23, 2013 8:40 p.m.

"He didn’t blame me for (transferring) even though he was aware of everything that transpired..." -- Taysom Hill

"Even though..."??? What was it that "transpired" that Harbaugh might have held a grudge over? Was Hill referring to him being recruited while he was on his mission?