Sports

Utah football notebook: Center Vyncent Jones is the new man in the middle for the Utes

Comments

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    March 27, 2013 12:02 a.m.

Duckhunter, pretty sure he mentioned that ("it really couldn´t get much darker!"). Do you disagree that those coaches would be great resources to work under or alongside? Or was it just burning you up that much inside to move on without making some (any) snide, negative remark?

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    March 26, 2013 9:52 p.m.

@wwookie

"What i think is amazing is the exposure Brian Johnson has had to great offensive minds, starting with Urban Meyer, later Norm Chow and now Ericson... wow!"

And yet they still had the 109th ranked offense in all D1 last year....wow!

• wwookie Payson, UT
    March 26, 2013 2:11 p.m.

Blechen isn´t your favorite player? I thought he was everyone´s favorite!

Utes could have a breakout year, but the talent isn´t proven, so Utah is a "dark horse" as previously acknowldedged. The coaching duo of Whittingham and Ericson is very similar to the duo of Whittingham and Meyer - two great coordinators with little interference from one side of the ball to the other.

What i think is amazing is the exposure Brian Johnson has had to great offensive minds, starting with Urban Meyer, later Norm Chow and now Ericson... wow! Future of Utah offense is looking bright (it really couldn´t get much darker!)

• reasonableUTE Provo, UT
    March 26, 2013 9:41 a.m.

wow... That injury news sure explains a lot! If he can even get back to his sophomore form our defense will be just fine. I see Utah having a shot at the pac-12 south at best this year. I think their record will be similar to their first year, possibly one better with a win against colorado.

The Utes sure know how to keep things interesting... The team has been shrouded in mystery the last couple of years with the OC changes and the new conference and such. There is no telling how things will go this season given the new OC. There is however little reason to believe it will be worse than last year

• UteMiguel Go Utes, CA
    March 25, 2013 8:17 p.m.

Appreciate the comment, cougfanintexas, but I only see two gimmes on the schedule (weber st and BYU). Who would you say is the third?

• BigCougar Bountiful, UT
    March 25, 2013 7:15 p.m.

I'm glad to hear about Trevor Reilly. I had never heard he was injured during spring and expected a big year from him last year. He's my favorite ute and I was disappointed for him when he didn't have the year I thought he would. Fighting through an injury like that explains it.

He's a classy, hard-working guy and I'm happy to have his little bro Drew playing down in Provo (too bad we didn't get Trevor, nice pickup for the utes). I hope Trevor recovers fully and has the senior year we all expect from him (just not against the Y!).

• Papa Smurf UTE Herriman, UT
    March 25, 2013 12:01 p.m.

Drum & Feather

As much as I would LOVE or my UTES to be in the Rose Bowl this year, and playing against Stanford or Oregon in the PAC 12 Championship, that is not a realistic goal after the 5-7 season we just had, a QB that may be a junior, but is still a freshman in games played, and a team that lost almost it's whole D line to graduation or leaving for the NFL. While I do think that the team will be better this year, that doesn't mean we will be bowl eligible, or win more games. Hopefully Dennis can teach BJ how to become a sucessful OC, & make the UTES offense better, we are still a long way away from the Rose Bowl. While the PAC 12 South will be a toss up this year, and could see any of the teams (except Colorado) win the South, the UTES will have to have some things fall their way to make it to the Rose Bowl. You are just a yBu fan who uses the Drum & Feather moniker to make people think you are actually a UTE. A Rose Bowl game would be nice though.

• Drum and Feather SLC, UT
    March 25, 2013 10:16 a.m.

What a sad day when a fan cannot support his beloved Ute's without so much negative feedback. You'll all eat your words this December as we're preparing to play in the Rose Bowl.

Go Ute's!

• thebigsamoan Richmond, VA
    March 25, 2013 8:52 a.m.

@ Drum and Feather,

Shameful comment, dude! I'd stand and cheer if it was sincere but it wreaks of dishonest, demeaning, and a condescending motive towards the Utes and their program. As a fellow BYU fan, I'm seriously disappointed. There are a few unfortunate Ute fans who do the same and I've pointed them out several times before. Please stay above the fray and don't stoop down to their level. It serves no purpose and only create more hate, bitterness, and incivility.

Go Cougars! And good luck to the Utes too!

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    March 24, 2013 10:40 p.m.

sammyg

I completely agree with you. My comment was meant to be directed at ANYONE who does what Drum & Feather is doing, regardless of what their true colors are. And yes, there's a handful on both sides of the Utah/BYU rivalry.
    I guess these people find it humorous and perhaps others find them humorous as well. For that reason I usually don't respond to what I find as a waste of space and a silly attempt to get under the skin of the REAL fans. That said, I probably need to go back to rolling my eyes and continuing on to the next comment without worrying about it.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    March 24, 2013 8:12 p.m.

CFiT:

It'd already been reported that Erickson had between granted "final say" on the Offense. If you don't understand what that means now, you never will.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    March 24, 2013 7:51 p.m.

Hopefully the Utes and Cougs will both be improved this year, with the win going to BYU to brag about for the next 3 years. I'd love to see the game come down to the final play, just like 3 of the last 4 years. But this year the FG doesn't get blocked or sail wide.

Doesn't sound like the O line will be much of a problem for the Utes, but rebuilding the D line could be the key to post season play, along with cooperation between Ericksen and Johnson. If they truly try to be co-OC, it won't won't work. Johnson will have to concede to Ericksen to avert a power struggle.

Tough schedule for U with only 3 gimmes on the slate.

If U have another losing season, Whit will start to feel some heat.

• lanius Woods Cross, UT
    March 24, 2013 7:16 p.m.

Nevermind, they don't get it.

• ExDixieIte Salt Lake City, UT
    March 24, 2013 6:25 p.m.

I had said all year long that Reilly wasn't getting to the edges like he had in the past. While I admire him for playing through such a major injury I wonder if he possibly hurt his team more than helping by not having the mobility a defense such as the Whittingham defense demands.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    March 24, 2013 5:02 p.m.

Motorbike

By the way will you be giving the same speech to 'No Conference Will Take Us'?

• lanius Woods Cross, UT
    March 24, 2013 3:57 p.m.

At least Sammy and ducky are straight up, that's gotta count for something.

• ImaCaMan Oceanside, CA
    March 24, 2013 11:52 a.m.

Nice try Drum and Feather. Your remarks are for the team 30 miles to the south. These are the quotes (by their own fans) that BYU fans use to say that Ute fans are always making bold, over the top, predictions about their team. Go Utes!

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    March 24, 2013 11:05 a.m.

Drum and Feather ...

I've never understood why people like you get a kick out of making comments as if you're a fan of a different team, not to mention going as far as picking a moniker that's meant to do the same - it's pathetic.
    Perhaps you could try contributing a mature comment instead of the waste of space comment you just made.

• Drum and Feather SLC, UT
    March 24, 2013 9:41 a.m.

I agree Roger Jolly, Ute's are on their way to the top this year, Rose Bowl bound! Our recruiting classes have been at the top of the nation for several years and we have the best coaches in the NCAA hands down. We will probably lead the nation in total offense and total defense because our coaches are the best and our talent is even better.

• Roger Jolly Maricopa, AZ
    March 23, 2013 11:52 p.m.

I only hope for the best... the Ute's are building quite a monster. This team will be a 'dark horse' this season.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    March 23, 2013 11:39 p.m.

Trevor's a stud. Very easily could have chosen to have his surgery before the season and taken an extra year of eligibility, but he toughed it out and did what he could to play and try to win. Hope he has a full rehab and can come back stronger this year. He'll be a great leader for the defense this year.