Utah

Brains and beauty: Business Insider ranks BYU as 'hottest' university

Comments

• Jealous U Alpine, UT
    March 23, 2013 9:21 a.m.

twofer

The petty jealousy that polls such this generate among the kids on the hill is laughable.

btw, I've had the B&D dollar burger; it's okay, but nothing to write home about, unless you're a struggling student trying to survive on Ramen Noodles. I'd have picked the Pie Pizzaria's Calzone myself.

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    March 23, 2013 1:42 a.m.

@ Uteanymous

It's obviously escaped you that BYU students made up the vast majority of the votes on this poll. I imagine news of this poll made its way around to many different LDS circles through social media, and that led to schools like BYU-I getting on the list. That in itself is hilarious because BYU-I is not known for either of the criteria that this list claims. I'm not upset that Utah or Oregon or whoever isn't on the list. I'm simply pointing out to all the people here patting themselves on the back that they need to come back to Earth. This poll is extremely weak and shallow journalism.

Also, B&D's dollar burger Tuesdays deserves its spot on the list.

• CordonBleu Park City, UT
    March 22, 2013 6:09 p.m.

SLC gal

"Is that why people go there for a "matrimony degree"?"

Finding a hot, brainiac to marry is just one of the many, many advantages of attending BYU.

That's where I found mine.

• Uteanymous Salt Lake City, Utah
    March 22, 2013 5:54 p.m.

twofer

It's obviously escaped you, but BYU students weren't the only students who voted in the survey. USC, UCLA, and Stanford were all represented in the survey, so don't blame BYU because Arizona, Oregon and Utah weren't.

The "Best of" list for Utah is quite telling however:

#1 - Ample green space
    #2 - The ASUU "hookup card"
    #3 - B&D's dollar burger Tuesdays

hmmm

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    March 22, 2013 5:27 p.m.

@ Uteanymous

I says that BYU students should visit some other campuses sometime. Arizona and Oregon are two schools that stand out in my mind.

• Uteanymous Salt Lake City, Utah
    March 22, 2013 5:01 p.m.

twofer

"Congrats to the BYU students for thinking so highly of themselves."

Actually, the correct interpretation would be that BYU students think highly of their classmates!

Of course, what does that say about Utah students?

• SLC gal Salt Lake City, UT
    March 22, 2013 11:42 a.m.

Is that why people go there for a "matrimony degree"?

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    March 22, 2013 10:28 a.m.

From the article published by Business Insider, "Our friends at College Prowler created an exclusive list of American schools where the students are both hot and smart. College Prowler ranks schools based on input from real students at the schools."

Congrats to the BYU students for thinking so highly of themselves.

• BlueHusky Mission Viejo, CA
    March 21, 2013 8:11 p.m.

I attended three universities and taught at one. BYU wins hands down.

• Mountanman Hayden, ID
    March 21, 2013 5:15 p.m.

@ Wally West. Thinking outside the box is partially what BYU got the "brains" award for! But please be grateful anyway!

• washcomom Beaverton, OR
    March 21, 2013 5:12 p.m.

Number 1 University in the Nation - Clean and Sober. Number 1 University in the Nation - Hot and Smart.
    Hmmm....Makes me think that the two are definitely connected, wouldn't you say?

• Eddie Syracuse, UT
    March 21, 2013 4:16 p.m.

D-Ruck, I think you got confused at where you were at. You must have been walking across campus at the U.

• Whoa Nellie American Fork, UT
    March 21, 2013 3:29 p.m.

I don't have any idea about their level of intelligence but back in the day (last century) Utah State had the best looking students in the galaxy. Even the girls working at McDonalds were hot.

Totally agree with m.g. scott. A smart woman with half her looks hidden behind a book is much prettier than an empty bombshell.

• Wally West SLC, UT
    March 21, 2013 3:13 p.m.

@ Mountanman 1:44 p.m. March 21

& we are thankful we are able to think outside the box.

• D-Ruck Salt Lake City, UT
    March 21, 2013 3:07 p.m.

Awesome...It's very apparent to anyone who has spent time regularly on BYU's campus recently (me) that the author of this ranking didn't bother to come to BYU ;)

The majority of students here are only hot when they run several miles in July and August.

• Counter Intelligence Salt Lake City, UT
    March 21, 2013 2:08 p.m.

"Silly article. Silly comments."

and yet you are here reading and commenting

The article is complimentary

• Mountanman Hayden, ID
    March 21, 2013 1:44 p.m.

Some of you obviously would never fit in at BYU...lol

• happy2bhere LAYTON, UT
    March 21, 2013 1:31 p.m.

To Buford Buckley,

Yours being one them.

• Eliot Santaquin, UT
    March 21, 2013 1:15 p.m.

A lot of the women at BYU think Tyler Haws is hot. Didn't you think he was hot when you were watching the game joseywales?

• Jake2010 bountiful, ut
    March 21, 2013 1:04 p.m.

It's the health code that is most often adhered to that attributes to the hotter/cooler dichotomy...

• killpack Sandy, UT
    March 21, 2013 12:54 p.m.

BYU girls are hotter. Utah girls are cooler. Tough dilemma.

• deductive reasoning Arlington, VA
    March 21, 2013 11:02 a.m.

Rockwell

"Well deserved #1 pick and interesting list, but they missed one: Southern Virginia University"

Amen that!

• Johnny Triumph American Fork, UT
    March 21, 2013 11:02 a.m.

I'm not sure who this study helps. It'll serve to boost the egos of those attending BYU and will diminish those who attend BYU but who have self-image problems. Let goodness speak for itself and not force this to become a beauty contest.

Having said that it's interesting to see how outsiders view things differently. BYU students are capable, mature (much of the time), and motivated to work hard at school and church. Those things combined will put on an air of confidence, which will motivate those students to want to be the best they can.

• Buford Buckley Provo, UT
    March 21, 2013 10:38 a.m.

Silly article. Silly comments.

• joseywales Park City, UT
    March 21, 2013 10:27 a.m.

Lew Scannon- Interesting to me that your comment was allowed, when last night I said roughly the same thing, only I mentioned that while watching the televised basketball game tuesday evening, that I didn't seem to think that I agreed with the results of this study based on what I saw on tv. But, I do agree with you, in fact, I would say that if they evaluated UVU you would find that at least the women there, are as hot as they come.

• Spitvalve Denton, TX
    March 21, 2013 10:06 a.m.

Surely not the most scientific study,but it's good publicity for BYU and BYU-I.

• Mark321 Las Vegas, NV
    March 21, 2013 10:03 a.m.

My wife went to BYU-Idaho! Ranked #16! And a hottie she is.

• m.g. scott LAYTON, UT
    March 21, 2013 9:56 a.m.

As some of you younger guys get older, you are going to realize just how appealing and attractive women who are smart can be as companions and wives. Women see the value of smart men early, but it takes men maturing a little to realize that the physically beautiful woman is only half the package, and in the end not the most important half.

• Mountanman Hayden, ID
    March 21, 2013 9:52 a.m.

"How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of those who publish good tidings, who saith unto Zion, thy God reigneth". Possible the fulfillment of scripture?

• Cats Somewhere in Time, UT
    March 21, 2013 9:42 a.m.

As a graduate of BYU, I will accept that as a nice compliment.

I was once standing in line and struck up a conversation with a guy. This was in the east and when this guy found out I had gone to BYU he remarked that he had been on campus and that it was a "spectacularly good looking school." He didn't mean the buildings. He couldn't believe how good looking the studentbody was.

Inner beauty does a lot for outer beauty.

• Curmudgeon Salt Lake City, UT
    March 21, 2013 9:37 a.m.

Aside from the fact that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, what in the world does "hotness" have to do with an educational institution, much less a religiously sponsored one that is supposed to focus on internal goodness rather than external appearance? (1 Sam. 16:7) Which makes one wonder why the DN would even publish this article.

• Sports Are Great Salt Lake City, UT
    March 21, 2013 9:19 a.m.

Bob, Mountainman just owned you.

• Lew Scannon Provo, UT
    March 21, 2013 9:05 a.m.

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I was walking across BYU campus the other day and couldn't help thinking how many more homely and overweight students there are now compared to when I was a student. Maybe memory dims with age, or maybe the higher academic standards have weeded out many of the popular B-students who used to be admitted. No way to measure this, of course. Just a personal observation.

• Rockwell Baltimore, MD
    March 21, 2013 8:57 a.m.

Well deserved #1 pick and interesting list, but they missed one:

Southern Virginia University

• Jonathan Eddy Payson, UT
    March 21, 2013 8:08 a.m.

Nice people. Respectful people. People of faith. Smart people. Apparently good on the eyes too. And looky here. The haters still coming out of the woodwork. Some people just can't win.

• Mountanman Hayden, ID
    March 21, 2013 8:03 a.m.

@ Bob A. Bohey. Need I remind you that this is not necessarily the opinion of BYU students themselves but outside observers? Arrogance and hubris come from self adulation not from others!

• Bob A. Bohey Marlborough, MA
    March 21, 2013 7:29 a.m.

Hubris and arrogance.

• Scott Farcus Beaver, UT
    March 21, 2013 7:22 a.m.

Flattering article.

Work on the inner bias and you'd have a complete package.

• The Rock Federal Way, WA
    March 21, 2013 7:13 a.m.

Inner beauty leaks!

(Shows up on the outside.)

• rightascension Provo, UT
    March 21, 2013 1:10 a.m.

As I recall, the BYU honor code doesn't allow the students to be hot.

• morpunkt Glendora, CA
    March 21, 2013 12:23 a.m.

A testiment to the faith.

• LonestarRunner Salt Lake City, UT
    March 20, 2013 10:30 p.m.

Gotta luv it!

BYU ranked #1 for students who are both hot and smart!

------