Moneywise

28 percent of Americans say they will never be able to retire

Comments

• lost in DC West Jordan, UT
    March 25, 2013 12:44 p.m.

TeaPublican,
    Yep, just as we expected – you give us more hate speech. Nothing to back it, just hate speech.

cjb,
    the repubs already gave in to BO’s demand for increased taxes. When will harry reid and chuck schumer give on entitlement reform?

• Iron Rod Salt Lake City, UT
    March 24, 2013 7:40 p.m.

For those of you who think everyone should work until they are seventy plus I would recommend a play or movie. It is called "Death of a Salesman" It is about a man who is about sixty two years old and unable to travel and visit his clients. The company he served faithfully for over thirty six years refused to let him work locally changed his salary to commission only, and eventully let him go because he had problems traveling. He couldn't do the job as well as when he was a young man. He figured he was worth more dead than alive to his family.

• county mom Monroe, UT
    March 22, 2013 12:18 a.m.

Welfare recipients get over $800 a month after their bills are paid, per person.
    Disability is at least $1,100.00 per month, per person.
    Social Security recipients get less then $750.00 per month and still have to pay for their medications and a supplemental medicare health plan. $750.00-$250 to $450 per month + medication dounut holes = less then anyone can really live on even if your house is paid off.

The one thing you are all missing is that the people who are collecting Social Security actually paid into it for many years. It should have never gone to those who didn't pay a dime.
    Also thanks to bank bailouts and stock market failures many of us will be unable to retire, not because we didn't save, but because our money was stolen right out of our accounts.
    We must continue to work, even though we scrimped and saved for years, because gluttons in Washington DC are far more needy then we.

• m.g. scott LAYTON, UT
    March 21, 2013 2:10 p.m.

The best retirement plan is one where a person will or won't work depending upon their choice. Most of the 28% are people who know that there will not be enough money to get by on if they don't work. One major key is to not have debt, including a mortgage, when time comes that you don't want to (or can't) work. I just hope that even the minimal amount of SS and Medicare will be available in the future, or we really will become a third world country. Many if not most people believe that SS is a retirement fund that they can get by on. Government has not done a very good job educating us on what it really is, namely supplemental income. Both parties from the 60's onward have stolen from the national retirement fund and now are facing trillions of dollars of debt payback. The breaking point may soon be upon us.

• MormonDaddy SLC, Utah
    March 21, 2013 7:05 a.m.

DEFINE RETIRE!
    My father passed at 91 he didn't have a savings or pension just social security and he seemed to do OK. He did have his CHILDREN near by to help him though. My mother-in-law is 103 was a maid at a hotel for forty five years had no savings and is still doing OK, of course she does have her CHILDREN to help her. I am now 68 and have nothing more than SS, of course I also have my CHILDREN that help me a lot, of course I left them a business that I started when I was 35. I lived on a budget for 40 years I have no savings, debt or pension. Again I say "DEFINE RETIRE!"

• carman Wasatch Front, UT
    March 21, 2013 7:02 a.m.

Social Security is a minimal safety net, not a retirement program. If you want a reasoanble retirement, you are going to have to save and invest wisely.

• carman Wasatch Front, UT
    March 21, 2013 7:04 a.m.

If you have saved 10% of your income throughout your life, you will likely not have to worry. If you lived beyond your means, and failed to save, retirement may just be a pipe-dream.

Those of you who are under 30 start saving NOW. The early the better. The more the better.

• luv2organize Gainesville, VA
    March 21, 2013 6:10 a.m.

Did you know if you saved $100 per month in a good growth mutual fund from the time you are 25-75 you would be a millionaire? Let's stop whining and start saving and planning! Teach your kids what you had no idea about money.

• Lifelong Republican Orem, UT
    March 21, 2013 2:25 a.m.

This is just sad. No person in the USA should be poor in their old age. Be smart with your money people. Don't buy into the hype of "I have to have the latest and greatest of everything". Cut out a cell phone and cable tv and you can put away close to $200 a month. Don't go out to eat so much and you can make that $300 a month. I have been doing that for most of my career and put that money into a 401k account. It is now at about $100,000. If the market would have had normal returns the last 10 years it would be double that. Be wise, save and invest!

• Rational Salt Lake City, UT
    March 21, 2013 12:34 a.m.

cjb,

The war in Iraq and Afgan wars are a huge drain, and the total is up to $1.7 trillion. We are running $1 trillion deficit EVERY YEAR. It isn't just the wars.

Btw, "gutting social security?" Obama's tax break that ended this year? He cut the social security tax. How much good to you think that did Social Security?

You think this is all about the war, and all on Republicans? Think again.

Both parties of politicians are to blame, as are EVERYONE who won't accept ANY cuts.

Google the "Penny Plan." A 1% cut per year balances the budget by 2019. That isn't slash and burn. Write your politicians, instead of whining on here.

• morpunkt Glendora, CA
    March 21, 2013 12:15 a.m.

Genesis 3:19 In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken : for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return .
    Just prophecy fulfilled, people.

• cjb Bountiful, UT
    March 20, 2013 10:14 p.m.

Because of the unnecessary war and improper
    regulation of banks, our country is hurting for
    money.

Conservatives are chomping at the bit to have
    Social Security benefits reduced. President
    Obama said he is willing to reduce Social
    Security as part of an overall package that
    also raises taxes on the wealthy.

The foxes are in the hen house. If you like me
    feel that our unwise wars are not an excuse to
    break the promise of Social Security, you will
    need to stand up, let your voice be heard and

Tea Party Republican = Gutting of Social Security

Conservative Republican = Gutting of Social Security

If there is a will, there is a way.

• xscribe Colorado Springs, CO
    March 20, 2013 8:54 p.m.

Patriot: Obama will pay for it if you want to live in a nursing home. Have at it! Are you blaming Obama for people not saving money for retirement? Nice! I thought you were all about personal responsibility!

• Straitpath PROVO, UT
    March 20, 2013 8:53 p.m.

I am seventy four and still working to support myself and help others.

• Blue Salt Lake City, UT
    March 20, 2013 8:13 p.m.

Sure patriot - keep it up. Sneering at the middle class is a time-honored conservative strategy for dealing with pressing economic social problems.

BTW, how's that working out for you?

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    March 20, 2013 4:49 p.m.

hope n change

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    March 20, 2013 4:49 p.m.

barack will pay for my retirement - I expect to get some of that redistributed wealth from richie rich!

• TeaPublican Houston, TX
    March 20, 2013 3:08 p.m.

Well we TeaPublicans plan on raising the Social Security retirement age up to 70 and that's ok with me. And what is wrong with making people work until they die....at least that way they won't be a drain on society. Besides, with the cutbacks we are going to do with Medicare and other assistance programs, they will have no choice but to work. I really don't see a problem here.