Live coverage: BYU wins, Twitter reacts

March 20, 2013 3:54 p.m.

Jay Dee, since when have I been a "fixture" on BYU articles? I very rarely read or comment on BYU articles. I only do so when something interesting is actually there and I have an honest, unbiased opinion on it. I have nothing against BYU the school or the teams or a large majority of their athletes, in fact I have several friends that either played or still play there. Several of their fans can obviously get on the nerves, just like any fanbase, so they are fun to jest with. So your apology for inaccurate inference is gladly accepted.

• hobbes1012003 Kaysville, UT
    March 20, 2013 3:27 p.m.

All this back and forth gets extremely old. Ute fans generally hate BYU, and BYU fans generally hate the Utes. I for one, am sick and tired of this rivalry. it has gotten so petty its not even worth it. Fans like ChrisB just drain the happiness out of sports.

• JayDee West Jordan, UT
    March 20, 2013 3:06 p.m.

It would be terrific for the Cougars to make a little run in the NIT. This sophomore-laden team could really use more time together to figure some things out, such as consistency.

Best of luck against likely opponent, Tennessee.

For my friend from Dixie... How many comments did you post to the Seattle Times about this game? There's no suspicious motive here; however, you are a fixture on BYU articles and known more for a red spin, not purple and gold. I apologize if my inference based on your implications are inaccurate.

Reread my post carefully, please. The WWC gained credibility with the addition of BYU. BYU has been in the top 1/3 of the conference and raised the profile of the WCC nationally. But, my fandom isn't tied to any team there other than BYU. And obviously, BYU is charting their own course in football.

Have a great weekend watching basketball. Best wishes.

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    March 20, 2013 2:06 p.m.

@ SportsFan

My comment assumes no such thing, and I do not hate BYU. I'm sure BYU will be fine next season, but the cream of the crop in BYU's recruiting class is coming from LP, and you know it. I don't know why you are looking to be offended. Nice win last night.

March 20, 2013 12:24 p.m.

"I wonder why that U fan is suddenly so interested in Washington basketball."

For one, I've always had a mild interest in the Huskies since I used to live in Seattle. Second, I am a basketball fan. I don't turn on games to just root for or against a team. Honestly, I couldn't care less who wins a game between byu and uw, I just wanted to watch basketball. So why so suspicious of my motives? And by the way, your remark about claiming success of conference members' success goes both ways, in fact I've noticed it much more from your own than from Utes fans.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    March 20, 2013 10:23 a.m.

Good win, thought BYU had the edge playing at home and it showed: 3 players with 20+ and no one else above 5 points. The question now is can Davis and Carlino show up every night like Haws?

• JayDee West Jordan, UT
    March 20, 2013 9:59 a.m.

It was so nice to see the uptempo game that disappeared for most of the last half of the regular season and the conference tournament game. If BYU can hold on to the ball and get some help beyond Haws and Davies, then they are a good team.

Comments of a few posters are confusing me. One proclaims that he is talking basketball not looking over your rival's shoulders smack. I wonder why that U fan is suddenly so interested in Washington basketball. Another says hypocritically that BYU fans are saddened over Stanford's win. Again, why would any U fan care what BYU fans think about the Cardinal?

The only explanation is that U are now living vicariously through conference mates. I don't get how being in the bottom 1/4 of a conference gives you any credibility. The only reason to bring up conference affiliation is if you lend credibility to said conference. Do that first, then talk.

It seems akin to getting a D- in a class, but taking personal pride in the A's of your fellow students.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    March 20, 2013 9:35 a.m.

With Kentucky, and Florida State gone, the possibilities are looking good.

• SportsFan Orem, UT
    March 20, 2013 8:20 a.m.

Your comment assumes that BYU's basketball success will be on hold until ALL of the Lone Peak kids get to BYU. Adding Mika and returning Kyle Collinsworth, to a team of Haws, Carlino, Sharp, Winder, and Calvert, along with several other additions, will give BYU a VERY solid team NEXT season. Learn to think outside your narrow BYU-hating box a little.

• Goooo Cougars Spokane, WA
    March 20, 2013 12:01 a.m.

Nice win COUGS! Byu has now won 12 of 13 games against pac10.2 teams in the last 4 years. But yet chris b and his friends think we could not compete against their wonderful conference. No matter what conference BYU is in they are one of the top programs in the West.

March 19, 2013 11:29 p.m.

Wow, I never said anything negative about the Cougars, and already people getting defensive? That's rich.

skywalker, you don't think the early success of N'Diaye had any effect on the Huskies 3-point shooting opening up? And you don't think the pace of the game caused them to miss shots at a tempo they weren't used to in the second? And you don't think that tempo, the one at which BYU best operates, had anything to do with their better success in shooting?

Jay Dee, where in my posts did I make any Chris B-esque "beloved Pac-12" talk? I was talking basketball, not look over your shoulder at your rivals talk. You know, "civil dialogue," "thoughtful comments." That's what the DesNews encourages, but apparently not Cougar faithful.

• ImaUteFan West Jordan, UT
    March 19, 2013 11:22 p.m.

For all of you petty BYU fans hoping that Stanford would lose tonight, sorry, but they won.

To those rational BYU fans who were big enough to congratulate the U on their 2 great PAC 12 tourney wins last week, right back at ya! Good win tonight.

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    March 19, 2013 11:21 p.m.

@ mussingaround

I agree. Mika is ONE of the THREE. My comment clearly said that Haws and Carlino will be gone before ALL three get there. Learn to read.

• LindonMan Lindon, UT
    March 19, 2013 11:16 p.m.

Wow, that Pac 10.2 is sooooo good!

• alternate Salt Lake City, UT
    March 19, 2013 10:53 p.m.

A couple of key things happened tonight. When BYU's shooting percentage is is the mid-forties or above they usually win. Tonight was no exception, the were right around 45. The other key stat was the low 30's percent shooting in the first half. Not good and they were behind at half-time.

It is very nice to still be playing. Good luck to Weber tomorrow. Also to SLCC who play tomorrow in round 2 of the NJCAA tournament. They are the only schools still playing. Maybe Westminister also. Anyway nice to see them carry the banner of the State.

Final note, I was real disappointed to see the comments of people living in Utah cheering for Washington. (With the exception of C J Wilcox supporters, the non-support for a State school is very sad.

I cheer for all State schools whenever possible. All people living in the State should also.

• mussingaround Palo Alto, CA
    March 19, 2013 10:51 p.m.

"Carlino and T. Haws will be gone before the three LP kids all get there."

Sorry to burst your bubble, but Eric Mika will be playing for BYU next season.

• skywalker Palo Alto, CA
    March 19, 2013 10:48 p.m.

"In the first half, UW dictated the pace, passed the ball well in the halfcourt (I believe assisted on 10/11 of their made baskets), and worked N'Diaye on the smaller, weaker Davies."

Nice try, but here's what you really said.

"I think if BYU is able to run their game like they want to and get the score up in the 80s, they probably win a close one. If UW can slow it down, run their half court sets, and work the ball inside, they'll probably win with the score in the 60s or 70s."

Sorry, but it was Washington making 6-10 and BYU only making 2-12 from 3-point that gave the Huskies a slim 35-33 lead at the half. N'Diaye made 3 early shots in the paint in the first 5 minutes, but was held scoreless the remainder of the half.

BYU outscored the Huskies 7-3 in the first 2 minutes of the 2nd half to take a 40-39 lead that they never relinquished. Washington's supposed 2nd half "defensive breakdown" was nothing more than a reversal of 3-point shooting - BYU making 5-10 and Washington only making 2-12.

• Cougars1 Bluffdale, UT
    March 19, 2013 10:42 p.m.

Dude, don't break your arm....and don't forget, it was a double digit win by the Cougs. The better coach made the halftime adjustments.

• OCoug Ogden, UT
    March 19, 2013 10:37 p.m.

Nice win, at the beginning of the second half it felt like it could go either way and with the way the Cougs finished the season I was worried it would end in a Y loss.

Haws was great, Davies was consistent and Carlino played the second half the way the Y needs him to in order to get a win.

Extend the season as long as possible to gain experience and build more chemistry. Next year is next year, lets enjoy this year for now.

• sports4life1 OGDEN, UT
    March 19, 2013 10:31 p.m.

Congratulations to the BYU cougars for getting there best win of the season by beating the 8th best team in the PAC-12. Simply Amazing.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    March 19, 2013 10:26 p.m.

March 18

Chris B - "Considering Washington is a top 100 RPI team that does not bode well for byu."

CougFaninTX - "Considering U have marked down a loss for BYU, that bodes very well for BYU."

The only thing better than beating Utah, is beating another team from the PAC!

PAC is 0 - 1 on day 1 of tourney and SF Austin Jr College is giving Stanford all they can handle.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    March 19, 2013 10:26 p.m.

Still enough fire and desire to make it happen for a win. Keep it up guys!

Congrats on the win!

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    March 19, 2013 10:23 p.m.

@ ThomasJefferson

Carlino and T. Haws will be gone before the three LP kids all get there.

• JayDee West Jordan, UT
    March 19, 2013 10:22 p.m.

Congratulations Cougars!

Well played game...especially the strong finish. Good luck on extending the season.

@ STG2SLC via the little red schoolhouse...

Congratulations Nostradamus! Impressive Prediction!

And yet one of the beloved PAC 12 flag bearers is gone from the NIT.
    How sad for U fans who have more to cheer from mere conference affiliation
    than ANYTHING they have yet to actually accomplish by themselves.
    Enjoy the couch...change the cushions before September.

BTW Chris B. The best (most meaningful i.e. postseason/post-conference tourney) win in the state belongs to BYU. You can drop that mantra now. Based on yoUr season, it was a stretch anyway.

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    March 19, 2013 10:15 p.m.

Chris B -

Still happy with YOUR pac 10.2 membership?? How did you like them apples?? Did you watch to the bitter end, or did you pack it in with 2 minutes to go? At least the chips and salsa were tasty I bet.

BYU put up 90 v. Pac
    BYU put up 59 in 2nd half v. Pac
    Haws put up 37 v. Pac
    Davies & Carlino both hot.
    Zilstra slammed one home.

Overall - not a bad game by the Cougars.

PS - Stanford (Pac 12) in trouble with Stephen F. Austin
    Saint Mary's (WCC) advances to 2nd round.

March 19, 2013 10:10 p.m.

Wow, BYU actually looked better in the 2nd half than the first, that has been rare this season! Hope they can keep it up!

March 19, 2013 10:02 p.m.

Looks like I called the game to a tee yesterday. In the first half, UW dictated the pace, passed the ball well in the halfcourt (I believe assisted on 10/11 of their made baskets), and worked N'Diaye on the smaller, weaker Davies. Haws got his points, but they made it difficult on him, and won the first half at a pace to finish in the 70 point range.

In the second half, BYU did do a good job of asserting themselves into the game they wanted to play, but it looked more like a defensive breakdown by UW that led to it. They let up on the ball denial on Haws, and he got quick, easy baskets because of it. It caused them to speed their game up, which led to turnovers, and eventually getting down too much to get back in it in the end, although they stayed competitive. The game got up into the 80 point range and BYU won it after taking control in the last couple minutes.

Also as I predicted, Andrew Andrews put his youth, athleticism and talent on display pretty well.

• Christine B. Hedgefog Salt Lake City, UT
    March 19, 2013 9:46 p.m.

Chris B, I went and "marked it down" like you said. How is that possible for a WCC team to beat a PAC team in a basketball tournament?

• Wiscougarfan River Falls, WI
    March 19, 2013 9:41 p.m.

I like second half Carlino... had he been around for 2nd half of the season we'd be dancing right now. Hopefully the Cougs can make a deep run in the NIT. Go Cougs!

• Mountanman Hayden, ID
    March 19, 2013 9:40 p.m.

BYU dominated UW from the Pac12!