Utah Jazz suffer stinging home loss to the outmanned Knicks

• JohnnyClutch Pleasant Grove, UT
    March 21, 2013 2:10 p.m.

I like Millsap. He should be playing the 3 though (with his "guard skills") so Favors can play more. Marvin is terrible.

• Kakashi Tokyo, Japan
    March 19, 2013 10:27 p.m.

i agree they are not the best...the only thing they have right now is potential...it is up to them to reach it...and with their potential...they could be better than the tandem of Marc Gasol and Zach Randolph....so given 30-35 minutes...they might drastically improve in a few years...

• Kakashi Tokyo, Japan
    March 19, 2013 6:13 p.m.

ok first of all...@Dustin sir you are in denial...you can replace Corbin with a better coach...Brian Shaw could be better since he knows a winning system...i'd take alvin gentry, nate mcmillan, Stan "Ron Jeremy" Van Gundy...over Corbin...Tyrone Corbin is the Greg Ostertag of Coaching...Big Al should go...Paul Millsap should go...Mo Williams...the only keepers...for me...would be...Carrol Hayward burks Favors Kanter and Foye...Foye would be better off as a bench player...i would knock Lindsey off just yet...he might have a few players in mind this offseason...to be honest i am sick of Corbin and his one dimensional way of coaching...the guy clearly has no system...

• Americanvet Ivins, UT
    March 19, 2013 5:50 p.m.

At the start of the year, and on paper you would have thought the Lakers had the best front court with D Howard, P Gasol, and Metta World ( or whatever he's calling himself these days). Than you add a back court of Nash and Bryant and would think they would be contending for a championship instead of just the 8th seed for the playoffs.

• Brahmabull sandy, ut
    March 19, 2013 4:40 p.m.

If Kanter and Favors are the best frontcourt in the NBA then I am the messiah. No, not even at 35 plus minutes a game would it even be close. Not even close. They are decent, but the best frontcourt in the league? Get real.

• UkJazz W-Ton, Uk
    March 19, 2013 4:19 p.m.

ok NY are under manned & playing their 5th road game after getting beaten badly in the 1st four games. The Jazz have just won a "statement" game (their words not mine) against the Grizz by actually playing some defense !!!!

so what happens ? they have no Chandler so what do we do ? attack the paint I hear you cry ? Nope... we jack up jump shots all night..... Surely we defend the three shot right ? NY like to shoot the trey.... Nope.... hit that corner trey all you want NY, pls, feel free.....

There is talent on this team but for the 1st time I have to look at the coaches....

worst defeat of the season for me, by far..... :-(

• Queensland Jazz fan Townsville Australia, 00
    March 19, 2013 4:06 p.m.

I think it is too early to judge Lindsey's work. He has taken a cautious approach this year, but a lot rides on what he does from now on, beginning with who we take with our two first round picks.

Will the Jazz fire Corbin with a year left on his contract?

This is new territory for the Jazz and would indicate a committed coherency from ownership and management we have not seen in the post-Sloan era, but you would be hard pressed to find a worse coach in the league right now than Corbin, who has drawn criticism from commentators all over the league. The Bobcats suck, but Mike Dunlap has been praised for his 'back to the basics' approach to teaching the game, ditto Wittman in Washington. This is what we need.

I doubt the Jazz resign either Jefferson or Millsap, particularly as Millsap will have suitors and Jefferson, as a nice a person as he seems, is a cancer in terms of team play on both ends of the court.

Al Horford has similar stats to Jefferson. But would anyone seriously consider taking Jefferson over Horford? Not a chance, not even close.

• Elcapitan Ivins, UT
    March 19, 2013 3:01 p.m.

Doug C...and if they have the coaching they need I tend to agree with you. Without a first rate coach most teams flounder don't they. this is the trouble in Jazztowne.

• Hugh G. Hater Swat Lake City, UT
    March 19, 2013 2:40 p.m.

Another "rebuilding year".

The slate needs to be wiped clean but that will only work if a coaching
    philosophy change happens.

I have no respect for Corbin. I need only point you to his go-to guy Earl Watson.

We are all wasting our breath/keyboards I am afraid however. Greg Miller (aka used car salesman) only cares about providing a safe, steady, mediocre, profit-generating team. As long as people line up to pay for cheap seats and overpriced concessions, nothing will change.

• LVJazzFan Glendale, AZ
    March 19, 2013 2:24 p.m.

I am guessing at this point the Jazz are just finishing out the year until they can remove Ty and start fresh. However, I would argue that they need to make the move so that the new coaching staff can determine how they want to progress (ie which players to keep and which to jettison). I think the most telling comment came from Ty before the trade deadline where he stood up for the team as it was saying he wanted to keep the team as it is together.
    Since then his team as it currently exists has thrown him under the bus with their lack of effort. Good job Jazz!

• Tenn12 Orem, UT
    March 19, 2013 12:38 p.m.

Where are all the Corbin apologists? If anyone is still defending Corbin they simply are not watching the games or are in denial. This was a bad New York team without their three best players. An above poster asked if we could realistically get a better coach. I think the better question is can we get somebody to do worse? These guys rarely give a full effort, or do what he says. Time for a new coach or a different approach. Time for a coach that doesn't constantly pamper his players, but demands something out of them rather than accepting poor play.

• Sneaky Jimmy Bay Area, CA
    March 19, 2013 12:26 p.m.

You have a good point, I stand corrected. I would like to see one of the Van Gundy boys (mabye both) coaching the Jazz. Avery - I'm not sure about. I like him but I don't know if he can coach. Mike Brown - thumbs down.
    But good ideas!

• Jazz Source Alpine, UT
    March 19, 2013 12:26 p.m.

I too was at the game last night. The face value of my ticket read $800. I was on the second row directly across the court from the Jazz bench.

What I am most thankful for is the fact I didn't pay for those tickets. My second observation is that there is nobody on the planet who logically could believe that the effort/coaching was worth $8 let alone $800.

Another observation is that Ty hardly coaches during the game and when he does it is with poor results. Time after time we looked over at the NY bench and the players were huddled around their coaching staff until the whistle blew. Look at our bench and you literally watched our coaches sitting together on the bench and our players, all 5 of them, leaning against the scorers table. Over and over and over.

The contrast could not be more stark. Coaching/encouraging/demanding vs. well, nothing. Even when Corbin did call a timeout it a lousy play call. I screamed it was a lousy play call once and he and then Ty and his tax-evading buddy looked straight back across at me.

Call Jerry Sloan now.

• DougC San Diego, CA
    March 19, 2013 12:13 p.m.

Lottery pick for this year. What a waste of season. We should have traded both al and milsap. We need to get a pure point guard this summer. please don't re-sign al and milsap. kanter and favors MUST start next year. They have to have 30+ min. They will be the best frontcourt in NBA.... if they play 30+ min.

• swaterbucks CASTLE DALE, UT
    March 19, 2013 12:10 p.m.

Stan Van Gundy, Avery Johnson (might won't to prove a point in Utah, Deron Williams thing), Jeff Van Gundy, and Mike Brown are just a few out of work top NBA coaches who the Jazz could hired...... plus the obvious Phil Jackson and Jerry Sloan !

But Ty is a lot cheaper at 1-1.5 million a year ... you get what you pay for.... Greg Miller could use some of his player money on a coach and the Jazz would be a lot better team, even help with the salary cap LOL

• Sneaky Jimmy Bay Area, CA
    March 19, 2013 12:09 p.m.

I'm not ready to dump Corbin yet. It's his first full season as a head coach. Is there anyone available that could do a better job? I doubt you'd get Phil Jackson to Utah. They don't have a serviceable point guard that can lead them in the final 2 minutes. They self destruct when the defensive pressure increases. That indicates no confidence in the PG's ability to manage the game. JR Smith KNOWs that he is tougher than the whole Jazz team.

• Dustin Idaho Falls, ID
    March 19, 2013 11:46 a.m.

I have defended Corbin quite a bit this season. I think he is a decent coach, and I think we will have a tough time replacing him with someone better. However, the players don't seem to respect him, and they are not playing like a team. I am not sure why Carrol was not played last night. Hayward was the only starter who was giving any energy. As for Dennis Lindsey, I think he has a plan, and that plan involves letting some free agents go, and building through the draft. We can't really judge Lindsey until we have seen what he can do in the off season. I hate the whole "fire Corbin" campaign because nobody seems to have any plan beyond that. I am in favor of getting rid of Corbin if there is a qualified candidate who can take his place. We are also in desperate need of a PG. Mo can stay, but he needs to be a shooting guard, or a 6th man. I don't know if we are always better with the young guys on the floor, but we are a lot more fun to watch.

• swaterbucks CASTLE DALE, UT
    March 19, 2013 11:23 a.m.

Ty Corbin was WIRED for sound on the ESPN broadcast last night.... Ty's first instruction to the players was "stay between your man and the basket"....... his second wired advice was "we need to be aggressive on both ends"

Those are 2 pearls of wisdom during a timeout..... That is exactly what I tell my Junior Jazz team..... I realized last night I'm qualified to coach in the NBA..... Now where is my application? and how do I get Greg Miller's email to send it to?

• TandJ LaVerkin, Utah
    March 19, 2013 11:09 a.m.

But Mo sure has some Ugly tattoos, don't they count?

• JBQ Saint Louis, MO
    March 19, 2013 11:05 a.m.

Surprisingly, Marvin Williams has been playing well while Jefferson and Millsap are making key mistakes in the fourth quarter. Every time that Favors and Kanter play, they beg for more playing time and keep the bit in their mouth. Once the three game trip to Texas is over, the smoke will clear. We'll be able to see "Russia from our front porch".

• B Russ Ephraim, UT
    March 19, 2013 10:20 a.m.

If Ty Corbin, Al Jefferson and Mo Williams are still here at the start of next season, then this once proud franchize is toast.

• ImaUteFan West Jordan, UT
    March 19, 2013 9:51 a.m.

Surely Larry Miller is turning over in his grave.

What a disaster the Jazz have become.

• bruce1 SOUTH JORDAN, UT
    March 19, 2013 9:16 a.m.

Why is that the organization sees things so differently than we, the fans see things? Somebody is seeing things wrong and I don't think the record supports the organizations view. I wounder if this is "just one loss" again. I see it as another in a long string of humiliating losses.

• BBLVR Bountiful, UT
    March 19, 2013 8:46 a.m.

Adios Utah Jazz, I have stayed with you longer than I should have. Tickets are to expensive to be bored at games, being beat by bad teams and having the big name players staying home rather than playing us. We have gone down hill since the Karl,John & Larry era.

• Americanvet Ivins, UT
    March 19, 2013 8:41 a.m.

I've been complaining about Corbin even before it's become fashionable. My frustration now is shifting more and more to Greg Miller. It's bad when your coach is in the dark but it's even worse when the owner/management are just as bad. Larry Miller would not put up with this mess. When he saw no effort from the team he was in the locker room demanding more from the players and coach. I doubt Greg Miller knows where the locker room is.

I live out of town but I would love to see Jazz fans wear brown paper sacks over their heads at home games like the New Orleans Saints fans did way back when they referred to them as the New Orleans Aints. Maybe then management would see that fans are embarrassed with whats going on here.

• John Wicks Salt Lake City, UT
    March 19, 2013 8:39 a.m.

Lindsey and Corbin should both be fired this morning and quite possible KOC. The front office is a complete joke. Jerry are you listening??

• Brahmabull sandy, ut
    March 19, 2013 8:19 a.m.

Has anybody else watched any of the previous 4 games New York has played and lost by double digits? They are TERRIBLE. They get absolutely smashed by everybody.... except the jazz. They are missing their 3 best players, we have a full squad. It is disheartening to see the jazz play with not attitude, no passion, no urgency. I am glad I chose to not accept 2 free tickets last night to the game. It would have been a waste of time on players who don't care to give the effort. Earl Watson must go. He is horrible, and so is Marvin Williams. Not worth it.

• mdp Bountiful, utah
    March 19, 2013 8:12 a.m.

The Jazz won a lottery pick last night. I hope they use it to get a point guard and replacements for Jefferson/Milsap.

• carabaoU Moab, UT
    March 19, 2013 7:52 a.m.

Pathetic. Throw in the towel. Play Burks, Hayward, Carroll, Kanter, and Favors together more.

• oldcougar Orem, UT
    March 19, 2013 7:49 a.m.

The person who wrote the headline stole the word I was gonna use: Pathetic. 'Nuff said.

• xert Santa Monica, CA
    March 19, 2013 7:27 a.m.

Okay, I'll be the first to say it. Mo Williams is playing how HE wants to play and he isn't enough of a ballplayer to take over at end of games. The Jazz have steadily played worse and worse since he's returned to the lineup. I think that the avoiding of what the coach wants starts with the point guard position and Mo Williams has these guys totally out of sync.

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    March 19, 2013 12:27 a.m.

What is that vacuum type noise coming from ESA? It's the sound of early vacations for the Jazz.

I attended tonight's game and left with a minute to play when the Jazz were down by 5 and NY had the ball. Up by two at the half, the Jazz went to sleep in the third quarter (again). Favors went 4 - 10 from the free throw line. That won't win any ball games, even in junior high school. How much are we paying these guys that can't hit a pair of free throws, anyway? And Jefferson couldn't throw the ball into the ocean if he was standing on the beach.

Don't even get me started on defense.

That's my one-and-done game for the Jazz this season. The promotional hot dog was better than the game. I can understand why attendance was/is low.

• forgetyourself Layton, UT
    March 19, 2013 12:13 a.m.

We need a real coach not TY. The players openly disrespected Corbin on National TV by not doing anything he called for. It is time to get someone who can control his players. Al doesn't play defense and Mo only plays for himself.