Sports

Utes basketball: Ducks aren't overlooking Utah in Pac-12 semifinal

Comments

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    March 15, 2013 11:38 p.m.

Oh well. It was a good run while it lasted. Our team was loaded with Freshmen, so we'll have some solid talent returning next year, and THIS time, with real game experience.
    Great job Utah. I think you've exceeded most fans' expectations this year.

UofU 1991:

If Utah had have won out, I wouldn't have envisioned them in a play-in game. Aren't play-in teams all "at-large" selections?

• UoU 1991 Park City, UT
    March 15, 2013 9:42 p.m.

Ken

"If we win out why seed will we get? My guess is probably a 8 or 9 seed."

Likely seeds after Arizona's loss to UCLA
    UCLA and Arizona #5 seeds
    Oregon and Colorado #9 seeds
    California #11 seed

IF the Utes win out and get an NCAA bid, there's no chance they'll get anything better than #12 seed play-in game.

• Eddie Syracuse, UT
    March 15, 2013 9:06 p.m.

I'm talking National Championship here! We have the most talented team in the nation and can take these kids that nobody else wants and make them champions. Here is a great idea......why don't we get even more of those PAC-12 banners and put the everywhere from point of the mountain to Bountiful!
    Everyone will probably laugh at us until we win the National title. Look out football world, ute nation is coming at you.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    March 15, 2013 8:45 p.m.

Can't we all just enjoy the games without all the predictions? Utah will have a very tough game on their hands tonight. 3 games in 3 nights is brutal and who knows if our defensive specialist - Martin - will even be able to play much or at all.
    Don't get me wrong, hoping for the win, but I don't feel a need to predict anything.
    Go Utes!

• Ken Sandy, UT
    March 15, 2013 8:30 p.m.

If we win out why seed will we get? My guess is probably a 8 or 9 seed. Usually power conference teams aren't seeded worse than that. They save the worse seeds for inconsequential one or two bid conferences. What does everyone else think? 8 or 9? I have become a Chris believer. I think we are going to actually do this.

• PAC man Anaheim, CA
    March 15, 2013 3:54 p.m.

Marked it down, but I noticed you didn't guarantee it this time; confidence obviously waning!

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    March 15, 2013 3:45 p.m.

I am proud of the Utes. I do think they have an argument for being the best team in the state. BYU has a much better record, but outside of Gonzaga and St. Marys, they played a soft schedule. BYU was 0-6 against top 50 RPI teams. Their record against teams in the top 100 was even a losing record. Where BYU made their hay was against teams outside the top 100 (RPI). They were 18-3 there. BYU would have had a losing record in the PAC 12 as well in football and basketball.

Utah is not a really good team, but they are fighting and improving. The overall record is not there, but they have finished strong (four PAC 12 wins in a row against relatively tough competition).

Winning tonight would be surprising to me. Oregon is tough and will be ready to play tonight. Utah as the 10 seed is playing their third game in three nights. Oregon had a first round bye and has more depth to stand up to back to backs.

It would be amazing if Utah pulls out two more Cinderella wins and makes the dance.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    March 15, 2013 1:23 p.m.

nosaerfoecioveht:

"They'd better not be- we just beat them."

I don't thing they will. Not only had we beaten them earlier this month, we'd also just beaten Cal, who had beaten the Ducks in both their regular season matchups. That'll definitely get their attention. Furthermore, we've outscored them 136 to 135 over our two previous meetings. They know we're beatable, and they know we're capable of sending them home early. They also know that win or lose, they're tournament-bound, whereas we are not. So obviously, they know that we'll be extra motivated.

Good luck Utes!

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    March 15, 2013 12:55 p.m.

Forgot my prediction:

Utah 72
    Oregon 64

Mark it down.

• nosaerfoecioveht NSL, UT
    March 15, 2013 12:35 p.m.

"Ducks aren't overlooking Utah"

They'd better not be- we just beat them.

The support for the Utes here in Vegas has been growing since Wednesday. Can't wait for the game tonight! Go Utes!!!

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    March 15, 2013 12:27 p.m.

"Ducks aren't overlooking Utah in Pac-12 semifinal" ...unless they lose to Utah, right, "experts"?

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    March 15, 2013 12:15 p.m.

Everyone laughed when I said we'd beat the ducks last week. And they laughed when I said we'd beat Cal last night(I predicted 70-65 Utah win, pretty close).

At this point, I'd be shocked if Utah did NOT win the tournament. We'll handle Oregon again.

And you think Arizona wants to face us a 3rd time after how close we came first two times(everyone agrees we're playing significantly better now)

Hottest team in the conference. Far and away best team in the state.

RPI doesnt mean a thing - we're dancing.