Faith

Two Utah Jazz dancers accept Mormon mission calls

Comments

• Johnny Triumph American Fork, UT
    March 18, 2013 10:01 a.m.

I applaud them for their choices and have no judgement on them not watching conference, merely that I'm not sure I'd have admitted it. They'll be fine missionaries and have made a wonderful choice to serve.

I'm not judging them, rather applauding them for their moral fortitude to admit they hadn't watched the session. I, on the other hand, probably would have omitted that from the story. Take it as a judgement of my own integrity; at least they shared the truth while I wasn't so sure I'd have done the same.

• MapleDon Springville, UT
    March 16, 2013 11:26 p.m.

@JP Skillet

This is not news. The Church's announcement regarding the age changes was. The great increase in applications and callings is. The fact that the large number of new mission calls are going to females is news.

But two "Jazz dancers" deciding to go is not, any more than two bank tellers getting their calls.

If this is what you fill your mind with each day, I question where and in what you're increasing in knowledge? This is triviality, not news.

• JP Skillet Salt Lake City, UT
    March 16, 2013 10:56 p.m.

@MapleDon - It's written about because people (like you) read the article and it is thought provoking. It not, you wouldn't post. The fact that girls can go at 19 is a huge change for the church and young women. It's noteworthy that a seemingly unlikely "type" of person would serve a mission. Not saying it's fair to characterize but that's why. I think it's a great story and sets a good example. It's interesting. That's why it's news.

• Little Andy Tremonton, UT
    March 16, 2013 5:37 p.m.

Good luck to these young ladies. This will only make your lives better. And speaking of better hope the Jazz are better when you return..

• MapleDon Springville, UT
    March 16, 2013 12:04 p.m.

Why is this news?

• TruBlue Salt Lake City, UT
    March 16, 2013 6:01 a.m.

Serving a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is among the best things I have done with my life.

Godspeed to these two new Sisters in this blessed pursuit.

• Bearone Monroe, UT
    March 15, 2013 11:09 p.m.

Looks to me like they have the right priorities in life. Good luck to them.

• thunder struck Salt Lake City, UT
    March 15, 2013 10:31 p.m.

Re: Shamal - I think you are confused. my comments are in response to his comment..."I'm not sure I'd have disclosed in the story that I didn't watch General Conference."

My point is that the announcement was on Saturday, when many active, faithful LDS are working or tied up with other Saturday commmittments, and that it's self-righteous and ignorant to say such a thing. First, I was not offended by the comment. Second, my response (nor Johnny Triumph's) comment had anything to do with their outfits. haha this is funny. #lostintranslation

• killpack Sandy, UT
    March 15, 2013 5:29 p.m.

So if someone out of Utah County says something judgmental, that's supposed to come as no surprise to those who live in SL County? I live in SL County, and I don't think so prejudicially. Looks like some of my fellow countymen need to take a look in the mirror.

• TruthBTold SLC, UT
    March 15, 2013 5:15 p.m.

Way to go "Johnny T"..., you totally missed the point!

I am so impressed by the story of these two young women. They are a wonderful example to all young women who choose to serve the Lord, which hopefully includes my own daughter--who is also a dancer. Their lives will never be the same, changing for the better, and I hope that that all who learn from these sisters will experience a feeling of hope, upliftment and joy in their lives.

God Be With You!

• Razzle2 Bluffdale, UT
    March 15, 2013 4:51 p.m.

Johnny Triumph American Fork, UT said, "I'm not sure I'd have disclosed in the story that I didn't watch General Conference..."

Comments like these add to the stereotypical self-righteousness of Utah County. Glad to see class act missionaries come from somewhere else.

• Shamal Orlando, FL
    March 15, 2013 4:46 p.m.

thunder struck,
    What on earth was there to be offended about in that comment? Do you disagree?

They are Jazz dancers. Many of them have PARENTS who blush when they see their outfits. They are big girls. You don't need to pounce at the first hint of somebody putting together what you're already thinking.
    Utah County(NuSkin included) wishes them well.

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    March 15, 2013 4:04 p.m.

Wow! There are too many 'likes' on Johnny Triumph's comments. Why judge here when to young women are electing to serve? I wish these two dancers well.

• Louisiana Cougar Pineville, LA
    March 15, 2013 3:55 p.m.

I will say that I expect that these young ladies will be well received by many in their mission areas. As the Father of two young women who attended missions, I am confident that these young ladies will find their experience to be a lot of work . .. but their commitment to their church is admirable.

Only in the Deseret News!

• The Caravan Moves On Enid, OK
    March 15, 2013 3:45 p.m.

2 dancers going on a mission?

Awesome!

Don't know if I'd tell the elders they'll work with, "Yeah, by the way, I used to dance for a professional basketball team." ha! ha!

Oh well, word will get out anyway.

Work hard, sisters, work HARD!

• Cinci Man FT MITCHELL, KY
    March 15, 2013 1:42 p.m.

Congratulations Sisters. You will NEVER regret your decision. What an inspirational moment you have shared with us! Best wishes all your lives!

• thunder struck Salt Lake City, UT
    March 15, 2013 11:56 a.m.

Re: Johnny Triumph - that remark is judgemental and frankly I'm not surprised to see you're in UT county. The announcement was on Saturday; do you watch every single saturday session ever! If so, that is wonderful! Yet not an offense if you don't. Eitherway, keep those judgemental comments to yourself and don't diminish the significant of these girls serving and the example they are setting.

• Mark from Montana Aurora, CO
    March 15, 2013 11:24 a.m.

My daughter just returned from Resistencia and she will love it there, though it is not the easiest of missions. The Argentine people are great.

• RedShirt USS Enterprise, UT
    March 15, 2013 11:13 a.m.

To "Johnny Triumph" she was at work, and the announcement was made on a Saturday session. There are tons of young adults that have to work on Saturday. There is nothing wrong with having to work on a Saturday and missing GC.

• AZnewser Snowflake, AZ
    March 15, 2013 10:59 a.m.

I rarely get to watch General Conference live... what a great day and age we live in where I have it on demand, on my iphone, whenever I want to listen!

The Phoenix Suns dancers often advertise their other jobs during Suns games... as exotic dancers. I have assumed that was the norm for professional cheer leaders, and was pleasantly surprised by this article.

• JimInSLC Salt Lake City, UT
    March 15, 2013 10:28 a.m.

I guess some cheerleaders are telling the truth when they shout "We've got spirit, yes we do! We've got spirit, how 'bout you!". Anyway, You go sisters. May your experience in serving create many joyful memories.

• Downtime Saint George, UT
    March 15, 2013 10:21 a.m.

you have GOT to be kidding me!

• alternate Salt Lake City, UT
    March 15, 2013 10:14 a.m.

Huge congrats to these fine young ladies. Huge negatives to the negative commentor.

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    March 15, 2013 10:00 a.m.

Congratulations to these young women. Finally they get a chance to work for a winning team. And even better, no hot pants required.

“I plan to stay in great shape while on my mission," said Washburn (the one going to Argentina). We'll see how long that lasts after they stuff a few milanesas into you. The food in Argentina is great and most every missionary packs on a few pounds. Good luck.

• Johnny Triumph American Fork, UT
    March 15, 2013 9:54 a.m.

• So. Cal Reader San Diego, CA
    March 15, 2013 9:53 a.m.

Good for both of these young ladies. Serving a mission is a big sacrifice in many respects. Kudos to both and good luck on their willingness to serve. The cheering section for those P-Day basketball games will never be the same :o)

• Red Salt Lake City, UT
    March 15, 2013 9:48 a.m.

Good job you two! Way to be great examples to other girls. Keep it up!