Sports

Utah Utes basketball: Utes advance with win over USC in Pac-12 tourney

Comments

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    March 15, 2013 5:52 a.m.

Rockwell:

Thank you for correcting me.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    March 14, 2013 10:28 p.m.

But seriously folks! But seriously...

• But seriously folks! Salt Lake City, UT
    March 14, 2013 4:11 p.m.

OK folks before we all get too excited let's remember that it was USC that the Utes beat. They are equally as bad so let's not set the bar too high and start chanting #1 here. A true test will be the next game, which Utah will most likely lose.

• ibextex Provo, UT
    March 14, 2013 3:37 p.m.

It doesn't matter if Utah is the worst team in the state or if they lose to Cal, coach K deserves a lot of credit for coming this far after last season. It's quite remarkable he has put the team in a position where they can stick with anyone in the conference. If the Utes continue improving like this they will be the best team in the state in maybe just a few seasons.

• Kosta Fesenko Chicken McNuggetville, UT
    March 14, 2013 12:58 p.m.

Seems like I ruffled a few feathers! LOL!

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    March 14, 2013 11:48 a.m.

@thebigsamoan
    Many thanks from a Utah fan. My heart was in my throat there at the end. It looked like they were going to fumble away another win, but they came through.

Don't worry, BYU will be in the NIT. You've got 21 wins and fans who will show up to the games where ever they are played. Good luck and of course

GO UTES!

• Rockwell Baltimore, MD
    March 14, 2013 11:20 a.m.

Naval Vet

"I believe this win just qualified Dotson for a medical redshirt. This was a "must win" game to ensure we might get an extra year with this talented athlete."

A medical redshirt may be granted an athlete who appears in fewer than 30% of his or her team's competitions (with none coming after the midway point of the season), then suffers a season-ending injury.

Dotson's injury occurred in the 15th game of the season, so it was before the midway point, but since he played in 10 games, the Utes would have to play 34 games for him to meet the "fewer than 30%" threshold - in other words, the Utes would have to reach PAC-12 tournament final for Dotson to qualify for a medical redshirt.

• SportsFan Orem, UT
    March 14, 2013 11:06 a.m.

GO_COUGARS!

"How many games did we advance in the WCC tournament?"

Sorry, but U weren't good enough to play in the WCC tournament.

• Utes-Best Lil Brothers Anaheim, CA
    March 14, 2013 10:59 a.m.

Kosta Fesenko

"I asked Tony Jones who the best in state team was. He said Utah. He was right." - Scott Gerrard, 1280 the Zone."

Despite the obviously biased opinions of a couple of Utah homers, your lowest in the state RPI says otherwise:

#70 BYU
    #96 Weber St
    #105 Utah St
    #167 Utah

Thanks for playing!

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    March 14, 2013 10:29 a.m.

Congrats on the win. U will have your hands full with Cal tonight. Good luck!

• utahcountyute Cedar Hills, UT
    March 14, 2013 9:58 a.m.

Nice Win!

There is not a team in the Pac 12 that wants to face the Utes right now. This game is winnable again tonight.

Let's go Utes!

• GO_COUGARS! Provo, UT
    March 14, 2013 9:30 a.m.

How many games did we advance in the wcc tournament?

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    March 14, 2013 9:06 a.m.

I believe this win just qualified Dotson for a medical redshirt. This was a "must win" game to ensure we might get an extra year with this talented athlete. Great win for Utah!

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    March 14, 2013 9:09 a.m.

Kosta Fesenko, do you know how ridiculous that sounds? You schedule only one Utah team and you lost to them... Now the U is the best team in Utah? Pulleeze.

I am happy to see the Utes advance... I have to say that I expected it however, after 2 of the teams starters and primary players were suspended for the game for violation of team rules.

• Kosta Fesenko Chicken McNuggetville, UT
    March 14, 2013 8:52 a.m.

• reasonableUTE Provo, UT
    March 14, 2013 8:49 a.m.

great win for kristko and the UTes! He is a great coach! I love the way the team plays defense. They all play hard, and they are all unselfish. Give coach a few years to recruit his own guys and they will be one of those teams that gets to skip the first day of the tourney year in and year out.

• Sneaky Jimmy Bay Area, CA
    March 14, 2013 8:44 a.m.

Very smart hire in Krystowiak. It's amazing what a team can accomplish when they play as a team.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    March 14, 2013 8:24 a.m.

@Bigsamoan

Thanks for the positive post and support. Nice to see that from a BYU fan. Big ups to you Guy!

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    March 14, 2013 8:16 a.m.

I thought shot selection was much better last night than it has been throughout the year.

I thought the team oriented defense was also better than usual

I seen an upset tonight if we do those same things!

Utah 70
    Cal 65

Can't wait for tip off

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    March 14, 2013 8:09 a.m.

3 wins in a row.

3 more til the dance!

GO UTES

• thebigsamoan Richmond, VA
    March 14, 2013 7:46 a.m.

Great job, Utes!! Here's one diehard Cougar fan cheering wildly for you. Hope you keep on rolling to the finals. Things are truly looking up for you guys! Wish my cougs had a similar end of season success too but they didn't. So sad! Seemed like they didn't have any fight left in them in the end so, I guess it's wait till next season again.

Good luck, Utes! And go Cougars, if you make it to the NIT!

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    March 14, 2013 7:44 a.m.

Nice win; talk about back and forth. This tournament is soooo wide open I wouldn't be surprised by any team winning it; including Utah. Nice to live to fight another day. What were all the Haters saying yesterday? The Utes have no chance. Where are they now? The Utes certainly have a fighters chance. Go UTAH!

• Go Utes! Springville, UT
    March 14, 2013 6:54 a.m.

It was an awesome win last night!
    lets bring our A game for Cal tonight. I cant wait for tipoff!

• kosimov Riverdale, UT
    March 14, 2013 5:54 a.m.

Great game, Utah! I hoped you could beat USC, but I wasn't sure. These tournaments have added a new dimension to NCAA play. I was sorry to see my BYU team lose but they weren't able to maintain their game all the way to the end. (I am a BYU alum). Now, I can cheer BYU on if they play in the NIT and cheer Utah if they go on and make the NCAA tournament. It has been a new experience for both schools to play against tougher competition without the super-stars they have enjoyed having on their teams. But it makes the game more interesting when I don't know who may be the one to step up his game and surprise someone!

Good luck with California next. I know you can beat them; your team has shown it has a little in reserve still to deliver to Cal and then, on to winning the tournament!

• Roger Jolly Maricopa, AZ
    March 14, 2013 4:25 a.m.

I guess the Runnin' Utes are saving the best for last. Good game.

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    March 14, 2013 2:04 a.m.

Now it's California Thursday. With little depth for Utah, these consecutive tournament games are tough, but good to Utah for winning the USC game. I am proud the way the Utes have played at the end of the season That's 3 PAC 12 wins in a row now). Utah has shown heart and pride. The program is in good hands with Coach K jr.