Sports

In spring, Cougars are 'out of their comfort zone'

Comments

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    March 16, 2013 6:00 p.m.

NevadaCoug:

You can't think of any players not-named Heaps who had left the program recently?

What about Stout or Quezada? And that's just off the top of my head.

And are Are Tayo Fabuluje, Toloa'i Ho Ching , and/or Algrenon Brown still with the program?

But great job at holding on to all those unheralded 2-star players though.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    March 16, 2013 1:33 p.m.

I think it's a good thing that roscoe wants to get his players out of their comfort zones. Afterall, their "comfort zone" had always been lining up opposite of the worst teams in the WAC. And now there IS no more WAC. And while their upcoming schedule will still most likely be weaker than their big brother's, it will definitely NOT be what they've grown accustomed to, or had been comfortable with. So this might be good practice for them.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    March 16, 2013 1:27 p.m.

BigCougar:

"Whitt followed Bronco's lead and 'off-loaded' the defense to Sitake after the 2008 season..."

That's not the way it happened. In 2008, Utah's D.C., Gary Andersen, left the program to become the Head Coach at Utah State. Sitake just slid into his spot.

Now it's true that Utah's defense hadn't been the same since Gary Andersen left, but I don't know of any Ute fans calling for Sitake's removal. You made that up. How frantic and emotional of you.

• BigCougar Bountiful, UT
    March 14, 2013 7:51 p.m.

@deuce
    "How long has Bronco been the head coach and he is just understanding that he needs to off-load the defense?" Isn't that why Whitt did with Sitake in December of 2008 AFTER Bronco did it earlier that season with Jaime Hill?

As history shows, Hill didn't work out and got fired mid-season in 2010 after a 1-4 start and a very sub-par defensive effort and Bronco took back the defense and over the final 7 games elevated them to a top 25 defense by seasons end. Whitt followed Bronco's lead and "off-loaded" the defense to Sitake after the 2008 season but hasn't been smart enough to demote or can Sitake who has slowly been running the defense into the ground since taking over (wait until next year!).

Most ute fans I know are clamoring for Whitt to can Sitake and follow Bronco's lead once again and take back the coaching of the defense until he can find a suitable replacement.

• NevadaCoug Overton, NV
    March 14, 2013 7:29 p.m.

"He is uncomfortable with great players with talent that need training...they move on."

Yes, great players with talent that need training certainly have left the Y in droves. There was Jake Heaps and...um....Jake Heaps and.....well, shucks. I can't think of any more.

Fact is, good players leave teams all the time. Not just the Y. Sometimes things just don't work out like a player and/or coach envisioned.

All the best to Mr. Heaps at Kansas. Here's hoping he develops some touch on the ball.

• Wiscougarfan River Falls, WI
    March 14, 2013 7:15 p.m.

Chris B.

"We're 1-1 against our rival Colorado. They're not a great team right now, but they give us more of a challenge than our past rival."

We’re all very impressed that you are 1-1 with your new Rivals… a team that since joining the PAC 12 has had an average Saragrin ranking of 132, which is just lower than powerhouses like Buffalo (131), Stony brook (129), and Wyoming (121). Indeed, mighty Colorado would have ranked 7th in the WAC over the last two season behind USU, San Jose, Boise State, Fresno State, Louisiana Tech, and Hawaii. So good to see that you’ve moved on to bigger and better.

• IRS Agent PROVO, UT
    March 14, 2013 5:40 p.m.

Taysom Hill is a Steve-Young-style quarter back: excellent arm, but very mobile when necessary. He hasn't even started to scratch the surface of his potential. Staying healthy will be the biggest concern, difinately not his arm or ability to throw the ball accurately. My suggestion, give the kid a chance, and sit back and enjoy the ride.

• CWEB Orem, UT
    March 14, 2013 2:53 p.m.

Bronco thinks it is good to be uncomfortable...

He is uncomfortable with fans--he doesn't like it.

He is uncomfortable with media--he doesn't like it.

I am a fan...I'm uncomfortable with the whole Riley Nelson theorem, but I'm very fearful that the type of thinking that created the problem is still quite intact.

I, a paying fan, am uncomfortable--and I don't like it...

By the way, the real Ernest T. Bass--he died. I don't know who the impostor is.

• Rikitikitavi Cardston, Alberta
    March 14, 2013 1:42 p.m.

Throw the balll....run the dang ball.....just win me some games!

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    March 14, 2013 1:04 p.m.

Game on with the trolls, since March Madness it out of the question for everyone.

Remind us again, 54-10 and Chris B, which two BCS bowls were the ones the Utes won? And how long ago was it?

It must be nice to be 1 - 1 against your rival where you can wallow in the basement together. Gotta love that PAC 12 Basement (P12B) and bowling at Orchard Lanes.

• So. Cal Reader San Diego, CA
    March 14, 2013 12:53 p.m.

Note to Tom Holmoe: Better hope all this change- up tempo approach, official DC, etc. works before extending Coach Bronco's contract. This "sounds good", but let's make sure it's not a little too late for the head coach.

• Danish American Payson, UT
    March 14, 2013 12:30 p.m.

Patriot: I thinks the most successful QB's in college the last few have not been drop back passers. ATM, Oregon, and others have been very successful without a drop back passer. We have also seen a change in the NFL.

• Cougars1 Bluffdale, UT
    March 14, 2013 12:13 p.m.

patriot,
    You must be blind.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    March 14, 2013 12:11 p.m.

I love it when Bronco talks and the trolls and "torch and pitch fork" crowd get all riled up.

It's spring ball, folks. That's all there is is talk. Sheesh, practices must be closed because we aren't even getting much talk about on field stuff. I say, until the opening whistle, keep the talk coming! I'm starving out here!

Go COUGARS! RISE and SHOUT!!!!

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    March 14, 2013 10:33 a.m.

BYU offense wouldn't be out of its comfort zone had Robert Anae stayed along with Jake Heaps. Bronco mismanaged this entire thing. Jake left because Anae left and BYU forgot how to throw the ball. I don't see a QB in the program right now that can throw the ball - a drop back passer.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    March 14, 2013 10:25 a.m.

@Chris B - "How does it feel losing 3 in a row to your rival?"

I can tell U that the feeling of lossing two out of three games to any team on the final play of the game is not as bad as the feeling of finishing second from the bottom and not qualifying for even the New Mexico Bowl. I'm so sorry U have to endure this. Hopefully, U will get better next year.

I'm very excited to hear how well Hill is doing and how much he is able to participate in Spring. I really thought he would on the sideline healing. There is no doubt he will be named the starter and lead the offense in the off-season.

I'm also very encouraged to hear how well Williams and Hine are doing.

If the offensive line comes together, the Cougs will surprise a lot of people even with their most difficult schedule.

• fender Washington, UT
    March 14, 2013 10:19 a.m.

AltaHawk

Uh-huh

• AltaHawkFan Sandy, UT
    March 14, 2013 9:56 a.m.

re: 54-10

I'm sorry I overlooked you. No, they/you do not make me crazy. Actually, I feel sorry for them. They want to move on but just can't. I'd recommend therapy for you all. I'm sorry if I caused you any angst by stating the simple facts about your team.

• 54-10 Salt Lake City, UT
    March 14, 2013 9:50 a.m.

AltaHawkFan
    Sandy, UT

If those people you mention have the intention of making you crazy with their sarcasm and/or criticism, mission accomplished by them. You've lost it dude.

• AltaHawkFan Sandy, UT
    March 14, 2013 9:20 a.m.

Thanks to Chrissy, Ernie, YGPG, and Mildew (wait for it), we can all expect more ute fan comments on a piece about BYU than BYU fans. Sure glad they've moved on to Colorado as their rival. Enjoy beating your chests for the next few months because when you lose to BYU in Sept, there will be absolutely no joy in uteville as you stay home during bowl season once again.

Question for Stgeorgebyu. Is 'guarded optimism' the 'name of the game' or is it 'improvement' ? I'm confused.

• MN Doug Rochester, MN
    March 14, 2013 8:53 a.m.

Chris B., thank you for being completely irrelevant and bringing the Utes into this. You should know, rivals are not forced, they develope. Colorado is not Utah's rival, despite the Pac12's efforts. But yes, reminding the Cougars that they lost to losers that have split games with a bigger loser does sting.
    Also, thanks again for reminding us of the Pac12's great subtraction by addition experiment with Utah and Colorado. Now, if both teams can contend at any point, a rivalry may actually happen between them (and no, the astrisk year where USC was ineligible doesn't count as "contending").

• kokua KAYSVILLE, UT
    March 14, 2013 8:47 a.m.

Bronco was forced to make changes. Nothing about the over-haul of this offense is in Bronco's defensive mind. Bronco will be hands off because Tommy Holmoe brought Brad Anae to campus not Bronco. I know that the BYU just extended Bronco's contract, but if they have another crash and burn season that contract is as good as the paper its written on.

The rebuild of this team on the surface appears OK. I hope these coaches can bring this program back in the 2013 season. Oh well if not we just find some new mechanics.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    March 14, 2013 8:20 a.m.

How does it feel losing 3 in a row to your rival?

Good luck to all Utah teams in this year.

• Stgeorgebyu St. Georg, UT
    March 14, 2013 8:08 a.m.

Guarded optimism is the name of the game here. We have heard all this talk, not just last year, but every year. I want to see better as do most cougs. That is the name of the game, improvement. I do wish Bronco would figure it out a little more, there seems to be no constancy from year to year about how he wants things done. I would have wished by year nine he had more of a plan with a few tweaks here and there.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    March 14, 2013 7:58 a.m.

This could easily be our best spring ever.

• morpunkt Glendora, CA
    March 14, 2013 7:13 a.m.

If they get more recruits from Texas, things may turn around.

• AltaHawkFan Sandy, UT
    March 14, 2013 12:26 a.m.

re: Y Grad

You must be Mildred's boy. A ute in Cougar clothing. You can pretend but you'll never belong.

re: Deuce

Naming Howell as the DC is nothing more than giving him a title for the duties he's already doing. I guess you missed that. Exactly how well would saying nothing go over ? Also, ongoing on-the-job training should be the norm for anyone in any job that wants to be at the top.

• The Deuce Livermore, CA
    March 13, 2013 11:33 p.m.

I am not sure we are seeing anything more than the same old confusion. How long has Bronco been the head coach and he is just understanding that he needs to off-load the defense? Is this on-the-job training in progress? I would be vary careful listening to much of what is being said. We all heard the same thing last year and it was not pretty when rubber met the road. I know Spring Practice is a time to be optimistic. Would it not be better to say nothing and let your message be what we see come September?

• BYUalum South Jordan, UT
    March 13, 2013 10:02 p.m.

Sounds like exacting changes are being made. This is good. We're looking forward to a great season in the Fall. Stay well.

Go Cougars!