Sports

High school boys basketball: Lone Peak guard Nick Emery named Mr. Basketball

Comments

• Cactus Moroni, UT
    March 14, 2013 9:23 a.m.

re: NorCalCougarFan&Alum "I'm looking forward to Emery, Mika, and TJ Haws tearing it up for the Cougs when they get off their missions." -- I remember hearing the same thing said 20 years ago about Bradley, Roberts and Cuff. Hope it's not deja vu all over again.

• NorCalCougarFan&Alum Elk Grove/U.S.A., 00
    March 13, 2013 10:06 a.m.

I'm looking forward to Emery, Mika, and TJ Haws tearing it up for the Cougs when they get off their missions. Thinking about that made this BYU men's basketball season tolerable.

• thebig1 SLC, UT
    March 12, 2013 4:23 p.m.

Should have be Mika, no doubt

• BYUalum South Jordan, UT
    March 12, 2013 4:11 p.m.

Just saying, but I wish we could have seen him play one year with Mika at the Y before he left for a mission. Sounds selfish, just a wish. Look forward to 2013 with Mika, then 2015 after Germany with Emery. We loved Jackson Emery, so we'll look forward to Nick.

Go Cougars!

• LP suppporter Lehi, Utah
    March 12, 2013 4:01 p.m.

Well done young man, now the only thing better would be Haws and Mika co-MVP for 5A with Toolson and Shumway first team all state. Great Year!!!

• 3grandslams Iowa City, IA
    March 12, 2013 3:21 p.m.

Congratulations Nick, can't wait to see you as a Cougar! Get that thumb healed up!

• The Rock Federal Way, WA
    March 12, 2013 2:48 p.m.

TTU

(TTU=Two Thumbs Up)

• gamer PROVO, UT
    March 12, 2013 1:22 p.m.

Great choice, yes Mika or Haws could've recieved the honor and deserved it too- But in its toughest games when they didnt score a few possesions in a row Nick was the one with a big steal, three, drive for two to the basket.

Haws will most likely win it next year. Nick should have won it last year.

Conatulations on an incredible season Nick and LP. I enjoyed watching the highest quality and most entertaining high school basketball I've ever seen.

• BlueCoug Orem, UT
    March 12, 2013 1:06 p.m.

Congratulations Nick!

Looking forward to seeing you and your Lone Peak teammates having great success at BYU in years to come.

• Vladhagen Salt Lake City, UT
    March 12, 2013 12:35 p.m.

It will be good to get a guy who can actually play defense (We will need to wait 2 years I guess). Beyond Winder and maybe Zylstra, BYU really struggled defensively this year I felt. Come 2015, hopefully these Lone Peak recruits can do something big.

• shadow Pleasant Grove, UT
    March 12, 2013 12:31 p.m.

Not complaining here because Emery is a stud but my pick would of been Mika just because of his presents on the court I believe any team he would of played with this year could of been state champs but with the team he chose to be on for his Senior year that definetly made them the best in the Nation, sadly I guess DN has to only have 1 Mr.Basketball for the year and so it is what it is. Congrats to a outstanding team and one that won't be forgotten and look forward to see playing again after their short mission calls.