U.S. & World

Rand Paul filibuster shakes Washington, gets win

Comments

• There You Go Again Saint George, UT
    March 8, 2013 8:05 p.m.

The leepaul show...

"I've kind of won my battle..."

said the junior senator from kentucky paul.

The WSJ did not share the junior senators opinion.

"...Lee (the junior senator from Utah) was puzzled...",

then DN readers find lee was

"...was surprised...",

and finally, DN readers find that

"...Lee knows..."

Wonderful.

• Tolstoy salt lake, UT
    March 8, 2013 3:47 p.m.

So Rand Paul got written confirmation of what any high school student would know, we don't kill unarmed people in the US that do not present a threat to society. Way to go Rand I guess the tea party needs a "win" pretty bad.

• Nan BW ELder, CO
    March 8, 2013 12:23 p.m.

bttpot, what an admirable person you are with all that you did during the filibuster.

• lost in DC West Jordan, UT
    March 8, 2013 11:58 a.m.

Holder may have said BO is not legally authorized to target US citizens on US soil, but what's to stop him?

• Bored to the point of THIS! Ogden, UT
    March 8, 2013 11:58 a.m.

Rand Paul acts like a person with two first names.

This is a joke! He won? He got the answer he'd already been given! Weeks before!

It was another sad political event in a long line of such events we citizens must suffer through. During that same time period I spent 8 hours at work honestly earning my pay. I also spent an hour doing community service (fulfilling my church calling) and then spent the remaining time with my family (helped my two youngest daughters with their homework).

I think I won!

P.S. I hate Math!

• worf Mcallen, TX
    March 8, 2013 10:33 a.m.

Backbone, patriotism, honestly, and courage.

How refreshing.

• Tekakaromatagi Dammam, Saudi Arabia
    March 8, 2013 10:07 a.m.

I think that the polarity of US politics is switching when a Republian senator who is aligned with the Tea Party is taking exception with a Democratic administration who has a hard time coming out and saying that they won't kill people without due process.

The idea of 'enemy combatants' who are not soldiers but are not civilians is shaky in terms of human rights. If the president does not like Sean Hannity can he define him as an enemy combatant and put him on a hit list? What about the principle then that all men have rights, including the right to a trial? Can we knock off some Al Qaeda sheik? If he is at war with us, then he is an enemy. He becomes a prisoner of war. We have to let him go when the war is over. We don't lock POWs up for the rest of their lives.

People argue expediency. "They want to attack us and we need to keep Americans safe." When we eliminate their rights, we have eliminated our rights. Our response to Al Qaeda is more of a threat to our freedom then Osama bin Laden.

• Nan BW ELder, CO
    March 8, 2013 8:02 a.m.

The point in question, that of targeting American citizens on American soil, did need to be clarified. I admire Rand Paul's tenacity and willingness to serve so valiantly.

• one vote Salt Lake City, UT