Utah

Resolution giving governor, Senate more power over school board advances

Comments

• cjb Bountiful, UT
    March 12, 2013 7:54 a.m.

I support this effort.

Several years ago I attended a meeting of the Utah State School Board, and spoke to them, explaining in detail how math education has been dumbed down since I went to school.

People who will become our future scientists and engineers are being short changed.

In spite of my e-mails to all of their members and follow-up calls to several of their members, nothing was done to fix this.

I asked to speak to them again, but was told there was no need.

Educators and school boards have dropped the ball when it comes to math education.

I hope the power to direct education goes to someone else who will listen and then do something when people explain to them what needs to be done to improve education.

• Seek to understand Sandy, UT
    March 8, 2013 12:17 a.m.

I love it when people say this will pollute public education with politics. It is already polluted, and this is just a change in the power structure. I like the idea of allowing the Governor more control over 60% of the state budget, which is what education is.

• Fred44 Salt Lake City, Utah
    March 7, 2013 10:51 a.m.

Lets just make Howard Stephenson the czar of public education then he can take it down all at once instead of one brick at a time.

• danaslc Kearns, UT
    March 6, 2013 5:01 p.m.

Its really getting time to pull our kids out of public education. The government needs to keep their noses out of education. It seems once they started sticking their noses in the education quickly took a downward spiral. If they sneak bills in now, just wait for the changes when your children start a new year of school. You won't see it coming.

• George Bronx, NY
    March 6, 2013 1:36 p.m.

so much for smaller less intrusive government. Funny how the gOP cries about big government but does not even stop to think twice when their the ones grabbing for power.

• Steve Cottrell Centerville, UT
    March 6, 2013 1:05 p.m.

Our legislators propose another step to assert even more control over public education. We, as citizens, need to exert more control over our legislators. But elections will come again.

• one old man Ogden, UT
    March 6, 2013 12:50 p.m.

Slowly, carefully, steadily and sneakily, Utah's GOP legislators work to completely destroy public education.