Opinion

Does governor lack respect for Utah voters?

Comments

• Ford DeTreese Provo, UT
    March 6, 2013 9:46 a.m.

Gee, Counter I, the more you write, the deeper the hole you dig for yourself. Of course Jesus didn't make pronouncements about government health care or abortion policies. He also didn't say anything about the Super Bowl, casinos, corporate power, gang graffiti, gun control, automobile emissions, or a million other things his world did not know. But he did make enough statements about his view of how we should live that we can certainly make some educated guesses about what he would think of the issues in our world, and I don't think he'd have very kind things to say about Republican economic policies.

• Counter Intelligence Salt Lake City, UT
    March 6, 2013 9:46 a.m.

Ernest T. Bass
    "Counter Intel, how would anyone guess what Jesus' politics were?"

And yet, not only did you do exactly that; you also deemed the pharisees as conservative, when for all we know they were the era's politicaly correct bullies (a sort of 1st century MSNBC)

Again I ask the question; when conservatives bring God into the conversation, as you just did, they are decried of as being pompous and self righteous. So what makes you better? I see nothing. (Actually I see massive hypocrisy; which explains why some people automatically vote for the person with an (R) behind their name. For whatever reasons Republicans may be corrupted or flawed - you provide the reminder that the left is usually worse.)

• Lew Scannon Provo, UT
    March 6, 2013 9:42 a.m.

So, Counter Intelligence, you're saying that the Utah Republican Party is not handicapped by the national Republican apparatus? Well, I guess you're right. The Utah GOP is probably a lot more extreme than the average GOPer across the country. Tea Party heaven here in the Great Basin.

But you're wrong about the Democrats. The national Democrats have been co-opted by moderates. They just look extreme to those who have fallen off the Right edge of the political map. I guess to those who drink too much tea "extreme" means offering a balanced approach to dealing with deficits, seeking reasonable immigration reform, putting our obese military on a diet, and trying to curb the rampant inequality that is making our economy nonviable.

Ernest, I too know many Mormons who are more Republican than LDS. Most of them know next to nothing about their own history.

• Kent C. DeForrest Provo, UT
    March 6, 2013 9:33 a.m.

Excellent perspective. Only one disagreement. Utah teachers' salaries would be 49th highest or 2nd lowest, not 49th lowest (which means 2nd highest). The math can get confusing when our numbers are so low.

• David Centerville, UT
    March 5, 2013 10:36 p.m.

I have long felt that Utah's one-party rule and power is detrimental overall. Local Democrats have a huge disadvantage in Utah because of the national Democratic platforms and leftist leanings. Local Democrats are not nearly as liberal. As a Republican who has met and discussed politics with many Utah Democratic candidates, I have felt to support many of them over their Republican opponents.

I personally feel a big difference between Utah Democrats and New York or California or DC Democrats.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    March 5, 2013 7:42 p.m.

Counter Intel, how would anyone guess what Jesus' politics were? Based on how he talked to the conservatives, the pharisees, I would hazard a guess that he was politically liberal as well.

• Counter Intelligence Salt Lake City, UT
    March 5, 2013 3:41 p.m.

@Ernest T. Bass - Open Minded Mormon
    There is a vast difference between being intellectually liberal and politically liberal.
    While I believe Christ was the former – that does not automatically translate into the latter, since the two terms have nothing in common except a word in the name. I do not recall any pronouncements from Christ regarding government health care or abortion policies, etc. and I believe he routinely condemned racial, class and gender warfare. My experience is that political liberals sell an idea (such as the termination of human life) under the guise of “choice”, then immediately work to eliminate the possibility of anyone making a different choice (such as forcing those opposed abortion to pay for, prescribe or perform the procedure). I have also heard it effectively argued that forcing anyone to abandoned free agency is the antithesis of God’s plan.
    Ironically; when conservatives bring God into the conversation, as you just did, they are decried of as being pompous and self righteous. There are also those who would vote for Satan if he had a (D) after his name. So what make you better? I see nothing.

• There You Go Again Saint George, UT
    March 5, 2013 1:30 p.m.

• Counter Intelligence Salt Lake City, UT
    March 5, 2013 1:16 p.m.

@Utah Dem
    Because Utah Democrats are hobbled by the national party - that was my point.
    No I don’t agree with everything in the national Republican platform - but I agree with their vision far more than the race/gender/class war faring vision and the embracement of failing European economic systems that permeates the Democrat national platform. Specifically I am more included to agree with the Dems on land control issues, and I am prone to supporting mass transit and efforts to clean Utah air, but I agree with the Republicans on Keystone pipeline and the general distrust of global warming hysteria. Generally: Small government is better than big government.

Not all Utah Dems are more moderate than their national counterparts; although it is to their credit that Rocky Anderson (who personifies hysterics and intolerance) was mutually dumped by the Dems. Also Jim Debakas should be commended for confronting head-on the anti-Mormon sentiment that has pervaded the local Democratic Party for the last several decades. It’s hard to claim the mantle of tolerance when the organization clearly was not.

It is the Democratic Party's job to attract Utah voters - not vice versa.

• Open Minded Mormon Everett, 00
    March 5, 2013 11:06 a.m.

Ernest T. Bass
    Bountiful, UT
    10:19 a.m. March 5, 2013

============

I could not agree more with this comment Ernest!
    Great comment.

Ah-men, and Ah-men!

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    March 5, 2013 10:19 a.m.

So many voters in Utah are incapable of rational thought when it comes down to marking the ballot. My father-in-law would vote for Satan over Jesus as long as Satan had the (R) next to his name and Jesus had the (D) next to his.
    Of course Jesus was a liberal but that's another issue.

• ken12s North Salt Lake, UT
    March 5, 2013 9:57 a.m.

Chicago of the west.......aka, Salt Lake City, Utah...... Enough said!

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    March 5, 2013 9:56 a.m.

When I was a youth we had Calvin Rampton as Governor. He was a democrat. I went to the state convention and personally talked with Scott Matheson, who became a Governor of Utah. He, too, was a democrat. I can tell you that we propered and the State was in great shape and well served with both of these Democratic Governor's, in my view.

No so much so with Norm Bangerter, Mike Leavitt, and Gary Herbert. We're in a quick-sand type of situation into which we allowed ourselves to become mired, accusing the national democratic party platform for our one-sidedness in state government. That's a feel-good way of blaming others for our woes.

We have had some mighty good democrats in local, state and national office from Utah. And we've had more than one questionable republican, especially in the state legislature.

That being said, I am an independent that has NEVER voted s straight-party ticket in my life.

• Utah Dem Ogden, UT
    March 5, 2013 9:55 a.m.

Counter Intelligence - your comment starts off on state government but then you immediately jump to the Democratic national platform to be critical of Dems in Utah, why is that? Is that because Utah Dems are far more moderate than their national party? Can you honestly say that you fully support the Republican National Platform?

• George Bronx, NY
    March 5, 2013 9:44 a.m.

here is the real questions to ask yourself. Is he wrong? if he is right do the voters of Utah deserve his respect?

• one old man Ogden, UT
    March 5, 2013 9:25 a.m.

Why should he?

He knows he will be re-elected no matter what he may or may not do.

He has the magic "R" beside his name on the ballot.

• Beverly Eden, UT
    March 5, 2013 9:11 a.m.

The two party system works well in the United States. I only wish we had a two party system that worked well in Utah. The Governor is correct when he questions the reality that even a person under suspension of committing federal crimes can be elected. - as long as they are "conservative Republicans." The unquestioned commitment to voting for ultra conservative Republicans - no matter what, is a serious problem for the State of Utah.
    I support Governor Herbert's intelligent approach to this issue, as well as his thoughtful approach to Gun Control legislation. The "far right" is attacking him for spurious reasons. As Republicans, we need to support moderate elected Republicans.
    The State of Utah is being marginalized by our extreme positions on guns, the federal budget, gay rights, birth control, etc. As Utahans, we are buying Guns, Gold, and Grub, thinking that the world is coming to an end. This blind nonsense is hurting everyone in Utah and is pushing us to the sidelines in America..

• Counter Intelligence Salt Lake City, UT
    March 5, 2013 8:52 a.m.

I agree that it would be nice to have some more diversity in state government - however I am not going to vote for someone whose ideas I disagree merely to get it. The national Democratic Party has been so co-opted by extremists that the local Democratic Party can no longer compete. That is not the Republican Party’s’ fault - however arguing that it is; simply insures that even fewer Democrats will be elected in Utah. Democrats - not Republicans need to modify their message if they want to be elected - blaming the voters for Democrat failure to make a dent in the Republican majority shows an incredible lack of respect for democracy in general.

• EDM Castle Valley, Utah
    March 5, 2013 8:41 a.m.

Good article.

EMajor, you're right on. Utahns have a really bad habit of voting against their own interests time after time.

• Emajor Ogden, UT
    March 5, 2013 8:08 a.m.

"He recently suggested that a Republican under investigation for a potential federal crime could still defeat a qualified Democratic candidate for statewide office."

He is just admitting reality with that statement. I think it is less that the governor disrespects voters, and more that Utah voters disrespect themselves.

• milner Centerfield Sanpete, UT
    March 5, 2013 7:42 a.m.

I`m glad he expresses his views not always saying or thinking the way that the Republicans party does!

• one vote Salt Lake City, UT
    March 5, 2013 6:42 a.m.

They went nuts over the loser in the Presidential campaign.

• Dektol Powell, OH
    March 5, 2013 6:40 a.m.

It is only natural the Governor does not respect voters - they elected HIM to office.