Brad Rock: It's BYU Broncoball for the foreseeable future

• Cletus from Coalville Coalville, UT
    Dec. 3, 2013 8:02 a.m.

Kyle is a better coach because we won weber by 70.

• Cougar Files Roosevelt, UT
    March 7, 2013 2:41 p.m.

I think you meant "answer: ...BYU fans are delusional." If so, as a BYU fan, I'll wear that. If it means I care about embracing values that transcend football and seek for excellence on the gridiron, then, yeah, I'm delusional. I am a fan of Bronco, but even moreso of the young men embracing the standards and representing BYU with aplomb.

• Cougar Files Roosevelt, UT
    March 7, 2013 2:33 p.m.

Put Bronco's performance in context: In an environment as potentially difficult to recruit to as the service academies, he has made our "liability" a "strength". I'm excited even about coaches he recruits because he places the honor code - and being a "flag bearer" for these standards - at the center of what he does. Sure I would love to see BYU beat everyone on their slate...and do so with "choir boys", but, win or lose, I actually really like the hard nosed style of football we have been playing which seems poised to come over to the offense as well. As Coach Holliday (roughly) said in his interview after practice yesterday: We want people to realise they're going to have to "bring their lunch box" when they play BYU. I think any team who plays us this year will come away with respect for this team - win or lose. Here's hoping we win out. Keep it up, Bronco and company!

• SportzFan Salt Lake City, UT
    March 6, 2013 8:53 p.m.

CalJac, thank you for providing an answer to the "why do 90% of fans support Bronco?" question: 90% of BYU fans are delusional.

• CalJac LOS GATOS, CA
    March 4, 2013 12:43 p.m.

Bronco is the perfect man to be BYU's head coach. Like many members, I measure Bronco by a higher standard than wins & losses although a .718 winning percentage is pretty darn impressive. Bronco may have made some errors in judgment with who to play, but the organizational design of his program is rock solid. He has turned many of the disadvantages of BYU being a church school with rigid behavioral standards into advantages.

I will not be surprised when within five years from now Bronco is accepting the crystal football trophy for having won the National Championship. The team's vision is clear and the organizational mechanics are in place to make the coming seasons memorable, both on and off the field. Bronco is the right man for the job! Go Cougs!

• Wookie Omaha, NE
    March 4, 2013 9:24 a.m.

Truly, I am proud of the culture that Bronco has brought to BYU. Could it be more Christlike (i.e., Max Hall), yes, but I could say that for all of us (i.e., Me). He cleaned up a program that was starting to look poorly in the eyes of many. I am grateful he is the coach of BYU. Is he perfect? Nope, but then neither are any of us.

March 4, 2013 8:36 a.m.

For several reasons beyond Bronco's control, getting his team to a "major" bowl has been difficult even in the best of times. The current BCS structure is stacked against teams not from the favored conferences, regardless of record. Fans of BYU should be ecstatic that they have a team that garners national attention given all the unique aspects of the program. Grumbling will always happen with sports fans. Are people really so nostalgic for the Crowton years that they want to dig into the oh so deep pool of possible replacements and roll the dice? Look at the overall product and the whole package. Things could be immeasurably worse.

• mdemann Murray, UT
    March 4, 2013 7:52 a.m.

Dear Confused,

I am not going to go look up the different polls that would verify my 90% comment. That number came from polls asking about Bronco's approval and contract extension talks. In those polls 90%+ want Bronco back and are happy with what he is doing. Do we see room for improvement? Yes. Bronco himself acknowledges that. There always will be.

Before you make a rebuttal and state that these polls are not very accurate I will be the first to admit they are not. However, your guesstimate of 60% due to comment on these board from the "vocal minority" are not accurate either. Part of your 60% are Ute fans. That in my opinion should count as a vote for Bronco.

Thanks. Have a GREAT day!! GO COUGARS!!!

• SoUtBoy25 Cedar City, UT
    March 3, 2013 11:53 p.m.

I say good riddance to supposed "boosters" that focus exclusively on winning at all costs. I'll put my money on a program that puts principles and players before money.

• NevadaCoug Overton, NV
    March 3, 2013 8:46 p.m.

Re: 2BCSWINS

The question was how Bronco's teams have done against ranked teams. If not for BYU being ranked #25 when Utah played them this past season, then Utah would have just one win over a ranked program in the last 4 seasons. Your welcome.

Re: Two For Trolling

Maybe so. But as I said, the numbers I was looking at came from ESPN's schedules. Which did not have a ranking for that Pittsburgh team.

Regardless, certain BYU haters keep wanting to bring up BYU's record against ranked teams. And the numbers do show it hasn't been good. But the numbers also show that Utah's hasn't been great either.

• Cougar11 Highland, UT
    March 3, 2013 7:55 p.m.

I'm glad your back coach. It is very difficult to recruit and coach and win at BYU. I for one appreciate what you are doing there. We will be buying season tickets again this year to support the boys, the school and your program. Good luck with a this terrific schedule.

• 79Ute Orange County, CA
    March 3, 2013 5:07 p.m.

Hank Pym:

He wasn't comparing Bronco to Wooden. He was noting that Wooden didn't immediately win a national championship - it wasn't until his 16th season at UCLA that he won the NCAA championship.

No need to overreact.

• Rikitikitavi Cardston, Alberta
    March 3, 2013 4:35 p.m.

Bronco has already fixed a major fan concern: the OC position.
    The next major fan concern fixed itself: senior QB will graduate. Those two concerns alone should have added three victories in the win column. Let's all pray that Anae plays a more exciting style than his last time around. We have all been very frustrated for about three seasons now but we are faced in six months with the toughest schedule in a decade or two. We can hope for 8/9 wins but let's not get our hopes too high in view of the opponents we face. Let's hope the aforementioned frustration is behind us for good.

• Rikitikitavi Cardston, Alberta
    March 3, 2013 3:55 p.m.

I'd guess Riley will head to Med. School after graduation.

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    March 3, 2013 3:27 p.m.

@ NevadaCoug

In 2004 Pittsburgh finished 25 in the AP Poll.

• War dog Taylorsville, UT
    March 3, 2013 2:29 p.m.

Why do people pay any attention to what chrisb says. Everyone uses a screen name and their true identity is no known. But some know the real chrisb, a person who has never risen above mediocrity in any phase of life. Chris doe need th attention though

• 2BCSWINS West of I15, UT
    March 3, 2013 2:21 p.m.

@nevadacougie "Looks like Bronco has done better in the last 4 seasons than Whittingham."

Hate to blow a hole right threw this statement with facts however Whittingham's team has beat Bronco's team 3 of the last 4 seasons. So it's pretty hard to say he has done better IMO.

• steve84088 Orem, UT
    March 3, 2013 1:01 p.m.

Hank Pym, as a young man of 17, I went to a stake priesthood meeting in the Pasadena California stake at which we had a guest speaker, John Wooden. He spoke openly about his religious convictions and how they better helped him as a coach and a leader of young men. Very Broncoesque. I for one have no problems comparing the two along those lines.

• Confused Sandy, UT
    March 3, 2013 12:44 p.m.

I would like to know what "Poll" you used to state "90%" of fans are happy with Bronco...

If you go to the fan boards, it is about 60 percent...

I do know that there are some high power donors not happy withe a medicore team.

Say what you want, BYU in one regard is no different than other schools "they need donation".

It is true that Bronco brought BYU out of the Crowton years.. But he has stalled at being medicore and it is a nice little out to say "I am building a complete program".

• SLCWatch Salt Lake City, UT
    March 3, 2013 12:36 p.m.

@Hank Pym
    Actually Neuhisel was only 21-29 with a .420 winning percentage so your comparison is totally wrong. Dick Vermeil was only at UCLA two years but had a comprable record to Coach Mendenhall with a .717 record. Mendenhall is .718. Research on the internet is easy. Try it.

• Hank Pym SLC, UT
    March 3, 2013 11:33 a.m.

@ The Cucamongan

Really? Comparing Bronco To John Wooden? Really?

If you are using a former Ucla coach then Neuhisel is a much better comparison.

• Spider Rico Greeley, CO
    March 3, 2013 11:29 a.m.

Bronco was brought in precisely to do what he has done. He cleaned up the program, made it worthy of BYU and its fans, and brought the program back to a culture of winning. One mediocre season and people are suddenly against him. Thankfully it is a vocal MINORITY. We cougars love the broncster and are happy he will be around for the foreseeable future. Keep it up coach!!!!

• ekute Layton, UT
    March 3, 2013 11:12 a.m.

How has byu done against Utah,the last 4 years?

• Mount Olympus Salt Lake, UT
    March 3, 2013 10:51 a.m.

I agree with Bronco when he says BYU football fans are not very well educated on the game. Very smart to call out those that pay your salary.

• Idaho Dad Pocatello, ID
    March 3, 2013 10:30 a.m.

I get the idea that Brad writes for fun. And that's why I read what he writes, because it's fun. Some understated irony and a few satirical pokes can brighten your day.

God Bless Bronco for what he's doing at BYU.

God Bless Brad for giving me some fun.

• mdemann Murray, UT
    March 3, 2013 8:42 a.m.

To confused, the name fits.

I have been a BYU fan my entire life. I am an alumni and an ex-player. Bronco fits what i want from MY school. My financial contributions have increased over the past few years. The sports programs (football with Bronco included) are developing great people and over all represent the school and church well. Yes mistakes are made but the great far out weighs the mistakes. Bronco approval rating among 90% of fans is very high. Maybe that is what is confusing you. I think he has the support of most fans, including financial support fans.
    Most of the people who want to get rid of him are people ( i use the term loosely) like Chris B. who hate everything BYU. That to me is one more reason to like. Bronco. :)

Go Cougars!! Looking forward to more great moments and challenges in the future.

• The Cucamongan Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    March 3, 2013 8:20 a.m.

As a graduate from both BYU and UCLA, I can honestly say to the BYU faithful - You have one of the better coaches in America. Before John Wooden reeled off 10 national championships in 12 years, he toiled and learned his craft for many more years before he became the Gold Standard for coaching Men's Basketball. Not to say that Bronco will become a John Wooden, but he does possess many similar qualities as a person and a coach of character. Give Bronco some space and additional time. He might surprise us someday with a National Championship.

• OregonCougarFan Keizer, OR
    March 3, 2013 1:47 a.m.

Mock on Rock. Really?

• NevadaCoug Overton, NV
    March 3, 2013 12:31 a.m.

Okay, Chris B. Let's play your game.

Since 2002, BYU has played 15 ranked teams. They have won 3 of those games and lost 12, for a .200 winning percentage. Meanwhile, Utah has played 14 ranked teams, winning 5. That's a .357 winning percentage. Better than BYU in that span, yes. But still not a great winning percentage. And that includes two years when Utah went to BCS bowls. Interesting note here on that: the year Utah won their first BCS bowl (2004), they played ZERO ranked teams (according to the schedules on ESPN). So you say you have to play ranked teams to get a BCS invite? Really?

Now, some of those games against ranked teams came under different coaches. Let's look at schedules from 2009 till now (2009 being the year both Bronco and Whittingham had teams they "fully" recruited, perhaps?) Utah is 2-7 against ranked teams in that span, with one of those wins coming against #25 BYU last season. BYU, however, is 3-7 against ranked teams in that span.

Utah fans want to talk about recent history. Looks like Bronco has done better in the last 4 seasons than Whittingham.

• Snack PAC Olympus Cove, Utah
    March 3, 2013 12:10 a.m.

It's so fun to see christy and her friends on the hill throwing an emotional tizzy fit at the meer thought of Bronco staying around indefinitely.

Two programs headed in opposite directions, and it's driving the kids on the hill nuts.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    March 2, 2013 11:11 p.m.

Iowa City, IA

It's what Rock does - report on the news in what he hopes is a funny, ironic way. I thought his comments were fair and fairly funny.

Sandy, UT

I'm not too worried that you will lead the donor revolt and that the coffers will dry up.

My own thoughts. I like what he says, and I like what he does. His talk leads his walk, which troubles some. I'm okay with aspirations that are higher than present accomplishments. I don't see that as hypocritical.

And I am not interested in criticism from a fan of a team who's bowl game was last September 17th and who then set out to prove that they weren't even worthy of that.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    March 2, 2013 10:15 p.m.

My second comments is on reference to games against ranked opponents. No one cares about your Idaho wins

I repeat, bronco wants to increase his record against ranked opponents from .150 to .200

• 3grandslams Iowa City, IA
    March 2, 2013 10:02 p.m.

Make fun of Bronco Rock, but this is a good man and he is making BYU football look good now and is working for improvement.

I think it shallow to make fun of a person by the way he expresses himself. I would expect more from professional reporters.

March 2, 2013 9:59 p.m.

Bronco is like most people, he is trying to do his best and has learned from his mistakes. That doesn't mean that he won't make mistakes in the future, but BYU could do far worse!

I am looking forward to a great season!

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    March 2, 2013 8:43 p.m.

Teams basically need 5 ranked wins to be in contention for a national title. How many does bronco have in his entire byu career? 5?
    Very good chance he will go from 5 in 7 years total to 5 in one year. I see no reason byu fans shouldn't be very optimistic about their future.

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    March 2, 2013 8:38 p.m.

I get frustrated with Bronco at times but he is a decent coach and a good fit for BYU.
    I do NOT want to hear from Bronco that Utah is just another game on the schedule. It IS a big deal and I really wish he would approach it that way!

Several years ago (throughout the Dalton era) TCU admitted that they devoted part of EVERY practice to prepare for BYU. And it really showed. They knew what every play was before the ball was snapped.
    That level of attention to a rival is what I want to see from BYU.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    March 2, 2013 8:34 p.m.

I believe bronco wants that winning percentage up around .200 before he retires. He has a lot of work to do to get to that level. He has his work cut out for him indeed. Good luck bronco!

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    March 2, 2013 8:30 p.m.

Can someone remind me how many times bronco beat ranked opponents and how many times he has lost to ranked opponents?

• Wayne Rout El Paso, TX
    March 2, 2013 8:03 p.m.

It is probably for the best. There are few alternatives. Look for Riley to be back as a graduate assistant.

• Confused Sandy, UT
    March 2, 2013 7:24 p.m.

"But if there’s any concern that Mendenhall’s priorities will keep BYU from progressing, his record doesn’t show it"

Really? I mean what is Bronco record against "Named" schools vs Edwards record against "Named" schools?

His record of 10 wins includes alot of Powder puff schools....

AND no I am not a Ute fan... Just not a fan of Bronco...

by the way, the adminstration wants the "Complete" football team, but if bronco keeps going the way he is, the boosters will stop giving money and the church does not support the sports program... so who will win?