Sports

BYU basketball: Gonzaga edges BYU, 70-65

Comments

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    March 4, 2013 8:53 a.m.

@ IRS Agent

Yes I did. I had a ton of respect for BYU hoops back in the Danny Ainge, Fred Roberts, Devin Durrant era. I also have respect for the teams in the Jimmer Ferdette era. Teams that played good. They played tough, but they werent' cheap. What Davis and especially Kafusi did against Gonzaga was cheap and dirty! Did you even notice how Kafusi stood over the guy he just mauled; an how his team mates had to pull him back? I'm sorry if the truth hurts; but that's exactly what it is. Rose should have benched Kafusi after the first flagarant foul, but he didnt'.

@ stGtoSLC

You are spot on; as usual!

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    March 2, 2013 4:20 p.m.

Wow, look at the square holes I'm trying drive round pegs into. Solomon Levi, my quote that backpacn replied to was: "BYU does that while going into nearly every game as the favored team in such a weak conference," so he/she brings up the overall strength of schedule ratings to make the conference seem better, so I showed just how weak it is. Now YOU are trying to talk about non-conference, and say "BYU's team is better than Utah." I know that! They played a game to determine that.

What I remarked on is the discrepancy in what some people consider a "hackfest:" the team that fouls over 18 times per game against conference teams with an average RPI 79 places below their own, or the team that fouls 15 times per game against conference teams with an average RPI 94 places better than their own?

Feel free to take any of that out of context, and completely ignore my point that nobody seems to want to acknowledge. But get back to me, the response will be amusing either way.

• Solomon Levi Alpine, UT
    March 2, 2013 10:34 a.m.

StGtoSLC

"Just like I said, Utah has a tough matchup nearly every time they step on the court, and just like they showed last night, if they aren't ready to go toe to toe physically and be ready to score, it's not pretty. BYU doesn't need to 75% of the time."

Lots of hyperbole there, but you're ignoring that fact that Utah started the season playing one of the weakest OOC schedules in the country, including NAIA and Div II teams that don't even count in Utah's RPI.

The disparity in SOS is negligible.

BYU #67 SOS
    Utah #52 SOS

But, the disparity in RPI and record is huge.

#62 BYU(20-10)
    #176 Utah(11-16)

• Saltvegas Las Vegas, Nevada
    March 2, 2013 1:32 a.m.

Hockey has a name for a player with the talents and style of Kaufusi..."Goon."

• OmahaCoug Omaha, NE
    March 1, 2013 6:30 p.m.

idablu, I agree with you about Josh Sharp. Where's he gone? From starting to sitting on the bench and playing the least of anyone against the Zags last night.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    March 1, 2013 6:17 p.m.

Sorry, my penultimate sentence was worded incorrectly. It should have read: Therein lies the double standard.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    March 1, 2013 6:11 p.m.

IRS Agent, what double standard? Read what I wrote:

"I just think it's funny after all the whining that cougar fans made over the way Utah played in the Marriott, and that BYU doesn't play like that. Frankly, I enjoy physical basketball (but not flagrant basketball)"

Let me make myself clear again: I have NO PROBLEM with a team playing physical, that is the coach's prerogative on how he wants his team to play. What is amusing to me is the fans who complain one week about how cheap it is that a team would play them that way, and another week their team takes it to another level and they defend it with their lives. THEREIN, my friend, is where the double standard lies. Read comprehensively, not selectively.

• IRS Agent PROVO, UT
    March 1, 2013 5:18 p.m.

@StGtoSLC

You complain about BYU playing to physical, and then turn around and say that Utah has to be ready to go toe to toe physically with their opponents to compete. Do you not note the irony? BYU played the #1 team in the contry last night, and came out ready to go toe to toe physically with them. Kind of a double standard it seems.

@Spokane Ute

You lost all respect for BYU basketball last night? Really? Are you implying that you had respect for BYU basketball? Based on your comments on these boards, you have never expressed respect for anything BYU related. Sounds more like one more jab that is just thrown out there to imply that BYU was somehow on the same level as the U player that physically accosted the Y player on the baseline a few years back? Again, sounds like kind of a double standard based on an isolated incident. By the way, did you see how many times the BYU players help lift the opposing players up off the floor?

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    March 1, 2013 3:04 p.m.

Kafusi should be done for the season, he has no business being on the basketball court. Rose must be proud of his enforcer. I lost all respect for BYU basketball last night.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    March 1, 2013 2:56 p.m.

Down under, I don't know how many times I have to explain this, but in basketball there is no such thing as "WCC officials" or "Pac-12 officials." College basketball officiating is done on a regional basis, with most officials covering about 4 games a week, in this area mostly in the Pac, MWC, WCC, Wac, Big Sky, Big West and Great West conferences. The officials you're complaining about being worse than before are likely the same individuals who have officiated your games for the past 15+ years.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    March 1, 2013 2:55 p.m.

cal cougar, again, I'm not whining about it, I just think it's funny after all the whining that cougar fans made over the way Utah played in the Marriott, and that BYU doesn't play like that. Frankly, I enjoy physical basketball (but not flagrant basketball), but some people would rather watch teams put on a clinic in sprinting, layups and jumpshots, and don't think it's fair when other teams make it hard for them to do these things.

backpacn, that wasn't my point at all, but since you brought it up, let's compare the conferences:
    8 Gonzaga 14 Arizona
    45 SMC 22 Colorado
    62 BYU 39 UCLA
    93 Santa Clara 46 Cal
    148 San Francisco 47 Oregon
    179 San Diego 69 Stanford
    199 Pepperdine 72 Washington
    223 Portland 88 ASU
    246 LMU 97 USC
    175 Utah
    186 OSU
    194 Wazzu

• WHAT NOW? Saint George, UT
    March 1, 2013 2:07 p.m.

"...As long as he doesn't permanently hurt someone, I am good with his "football attitude"...".

A report is made after each contest. The league reviews the comments as well as the game tape.

Whomever officiates the BYU games in the WCC Tourney will be briefed regarding Kaufusi's play and behavior.

Kaufusi's style of play will be well monitored by officials during the tournament.

A repeat performance of last nights mugging will probably result in a Tech 2 including an ejection (as was recommended by the ESPN announcer last night).

The physical play of all involved (with the exception of Kaufusi) is typical of what teams will face in the NCAA Tourney.

• cal cougar camarillo, CA
    March 1, 2013 11:14 a.m.

Anyone who thinks that basketball is a non-contact sport that does not involve intimidation is out of touch with reality. That does even happen in church ball.

These are males involved in a fight with a ball and hoop with some holds barred by the refs. To think differently is because you haven't played competitive basketball.

BYU didn't get shoved around like usual by Gonzaga. We did it to them. Kaufusi(Shaq) was the reason why this game was close. As long as he doesn't permanently hurt someone, I am good with his "football attitude". Even after the takedown of Olenyk, the other players did not dare touch him. He could tear one of their arms off. Let the Wookie win. I am glad that the Wookie is on our team. You have to put the fear in the other team or you lose. We are no longer viewed as the weak team you can push around and get your way.

Very proud of our BYU Cougars with "teeth". I haven't been able to say that about a BYU basketball team. Those whining about our rough play, glad they are whining and not us now.

• deductive reasoning Arlington, VA
    March 1, 2013 10:46 a.m.

"Late" game takes on a whole new meaning when you're watching from the east coast.

BYU's strategy of packing the paint and forcing Gonzaga to score from beyond the arc almost worked. The Cougars just couldn't get a shot to drop in the last four minutes; that and too many missed free throws cost BYU a chance to beat the Bulldogs.

On the bright side, the WCC will have the #1 team in the country next week. That hasn't happened in a long, long time.

Congratulations Zags! You've earned it.

• oldcougar Orem, UT
    March 1, 2013 10:23 a.m.

I wonder if some of you watched the same game I saw. Olynyk (sp?) was every bit as aggressive and physical as Davies...at one point he headlocked him...on several occasions he gave him forearm, shoulder, and hip shots...good, aggressive play...but he was no less aggressive than Davies. I agree Kaufusi was over the top...after he floored a guy he posed as if he had just sacked the QB. But Davies and the Zag big men just played equally hard and aggressively. Watch the tape...it doesn't lie.

• Rockwell Baltimore, MD
    March 1, 2013 10:03 a.m.

Great effort by the Cougs last night against next week's #1 team in the country. Several times in the last few minutes of the game, BYU had a chance to tie or take the lead, but nobody, including Haws could make a shot.

Still, I'm proud of this undermanned team putting forth so much effort throughout the season.

Good luck in the post season Cougs!

• LonestarRunner Salt Lake City, UT
    March 1, 2013 9:58 a.m.

Down under

"Anyone know what happened to Carlino the 2nd half?"

Rose on not playing Matt Carlino last 10 mins: "We took Matt out, gave him a rest, and it seemed like we got some momentum, got into a good flow. Craig [Cusick] was running the point pretty well and we just stayed with it."

• Cougarista Salt Lake City, UT
    March 1, 2013 10:00 a.m.

Fans are loud and biased. That's why they are called fans. Being loud, biased and vulgar or obscene is not being a fan, it is being a lout. BYU fans seldom fall into that category so get over Cougar fans cheering for BYU.

• Bomar22 Roberts, ID
    March 1, 2013 9:55 a.m.

If Cusick missed the front end of a one on one on purpose I find that surprising. Missed free throws cost the Cougs the game. Also, don't the refs call three seconds or palming the ball anymore?

• Down under Pullman, WA
    March 1, 2013 9:26 a.m.

WCC refs are the worst I have ever seen no matter who you were rooting for. They are only exceeded in poor officiating by to the PAC 12. Few was right when he said that the right officials were there tonight. Gonzaga big men pushed and clawed all night long and got away with it in the forst half. The second havlf was more evenly called.

BYU lost to a better team but they certainly had their chances and blew them. Anyone know what happened to Carlino the 2nd half?

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    March 1, 2013 9:09 a.m.

I was booing the bad reffing so hard my mom had to tell me to be quiet or I would wake up my twin baby brothers.
    We win big if refs do good.

• Elmer Fudd Sandy, Utah
    March 1, 2013 9:02 a.m.

It has to be the refs fault the Cougs lost!

• backpacn Sandy, UT
    March 1, 2013 9:02 a.m.

I love the play of Bronson; a little more physical than some would prefer, but he plays hard every second.

• Lone Star Cougar Plano, TX
    March 1, 2013 8:58 a.m.

It is amazing to see all the trolls comment on BYU. Last night I saw some good defense by BYU and some toughness. the refs were calling a loose game and BYU stpped up. I enjoyed Kaufusi not backing down but getting in their face. He has a dominant attitude and more BYU players need to be more aggressive albeit controlled. With Gonzaga having such dominant big men and BYU being somewhat short-handed, the physical game was the way to go. It almost worked. We need some more pure shooters, though. I have watched games this year where we did not look like teams of the past with very poor shooting. Davies did pick it up during the game, which I was glad. I would like to have Kaufusi next year as a big enforcer with one or two more big men that can finesse the ball underneath.

• backpacn Sandy, UT
    March 1, 2013 8:59 a.m.

Until the Utes are able to score 80 points against a D-1 opponent once in awhile, they should abandon their "Runnin'" nickname, because it's, quite frankly, false advertising. There's absolutely NO RUN in Utah's basketball program nowadays.

• backpacn Sandy, UT
    March 1, 2013 8:58 a.m.

StGtoSLC

"BYU does that while going into nearly every game as the favored team in such a weak conference, while Utah is the underdog in almost every game, so trying to tighten up the D, like BYU had to do last night, is rarely an issue for them compared to Utah, who play against at least one very tough opponent each week."

Sorry to burst you bubble, but the disparity in SOS isn't nearly as pronounced as you pretend it to be.

BYU 67
    Utah 52

Hacking isn't the issue. Slowing your offense down to a snail's pace on nearly every possession in nearly every game is the issue.

BYU's uptempo style is fun to watch, with BYU averaging 77 ppg, 17th in the country.
    Utah's snail's pace is boring as... U know, with Utah averaging 64 ppg, 272nd in the country.

Utah got blown out last night by a team that only scored 64 points; that's almost inconceivable, except for the Utes.

The Utes have only exceeded BYU's AVERAGE ONCE this season, and that was against an NAIA team.

• Braxton ogden, ut
    March 1, 2013 8:52 a.m.

Please remove Kaufusi from the team. He's a great football player, but seeing the aggression on his face as he takes a player out is an embarrassment for the team, school and sport. Keep it on the field and off the court.

• utahcountyute Cedar Hills, UT
    March 1, 2013 8:36 a.m.

moderateinmagna

I'm pretty sure that coach Few was referring to the fact that his guys get mugged every time they are in the MC and don't always get the calls. They got some of those calls last night and so they were "the right refs". I would agree.

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    March 1, 2013 8:29 a.m.

Here is the difference between the BYU and Utah basketball programs....

To BYU and her fans, 20-10 is an awful, down year.
    To Utah and her fans, 11-16 is Nirvana and a cause for celebration.

BYU's athletic program competes in every sport.
    Utah's athletic program is not competitive in any sport and lives in the Pac's cellar.

Pac 11....Rules....U!

• LindonMan Lindon, UT
    March 1, 2013 8:10 a.m.

Funny how Ute fans apparently watched this game...what about your Utes getting beat down last night? Bowl game + NIT/NCAA Tourney > No bowl game + No post season b-ball

• UKcat SPANISH FORK, UT
    March 1, 2013 8:04 a.m.

I apologize beforehand for turning a sports board into a religious soapbox, but I can't resist. To Allen#2: the difference between BYU fans and Wyoming fans, or any other fans, is that BYU fans, in some ways, represent the LDS Church. As a member of the LDS Church, I often don't appreciate how BYU fans represent.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    March 1, 2013 7:46 a.m.

Lonestar, now let me expose some holes in your theory. Last time I checked, Utah averages about 15 fouls per game. This is, on average, barely getting the other team into the bonus each half of every game, and players rarely get into serious foul trouble (4+). BYU averages about 19 fouls per game, and had 23 last night, with Kaufusi fouling out in 10 minutes, and Davies picking up his 4th with over 13 minutes remaining.This means the other team almost always ends up in the double bonus. Which one sounds like a "hackfest?"

Also, BYU does that while going into nearly every game as the favored team in such a weak conference, while Utah is the underdog in almost every game, so trying to tighten up the D, like BYU had to do last night, is rarely an issue for them compared to Utah, who play against at least one very tough opponent each week.

I'm not criticizing Coach Rose's coaching style, frankly I think he's a fantastic coach. But just wondering how the fans feel about their trash talk being exposed.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    March 1, 2013 6:22 a.m.

Kaufusi, Kaufusi, Kaufusi!

Tough loss last night against a top team. It's a long shot but here's hoping for a great WCC Tournament next week.

• Allen#2 WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    March 1, 2013 5:50 a.m.

Please name the basketball team that does not have rude fans. As neither a Utah nor BYU fan, it appears that BYU fans troll the articles about Utah teams as the Utah fans do about BYU teams.
    Utah State Aggie, Wyoming Cowboy, and other team fans are just as rude as any.

• Pa. Reader Harrisburg, PA
    March 1, 2013 5:46 a.m.

Great effort by an undermanned squad.
    This season may be Coach Rose's best coaching job yet.
    He has kept an injury riddled team competitive by cobbling together schemes that keep BYU close against teams with superior, more experienced players.
    The NIT experience will be good for the players who are coming back next season.
    As a Cougar fan I'm proud to have Dave Rose at the helm.

• I-am-I South Jordan, UT
    March 1, 2013 5:28 a.m.

Let's stop kidding ourselves. Fans in this state are obnoxious, loud, and ignorant. yes, probably more so than in others. it doesn't matter which team you cheer for collectively as a whole we're a rowdy competitive bunch. while we're so passionate we still have the nerve to boo our own teams and leave in the 3rd quarter if the game isn't to our liking.

• GO_COUGARS! Provo, UT
    March 1, 2013 3:25 a.m.

PS- refs got us again. Darn refs.

• DodgerDoug Salem, UT
    March 1, 2013 3:26 a.m.

There are no moral victories when your playing at home, even if it is the number 2 school in the nation. Had a chance to win which would have been big but in the end it is still another L in a very disappointing season.

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    March 1, 2013 3:28 a.m.

The "who's your daddy" chant at Stockton was even more confusing then "You got swatted"

• Buffalo1 McLean, VA
    March 1, 2013 1:32 a.m.

I was just glad to see the team hustle, play hard, contest every loose ball, and in general, finally look like they really wanted to win a game. They had lost their edge over the last half dozen games, and it cost them a chance at an NCAA bid. If for nothing else than to set the tone for next season, I was glad to see them come out fighting and hustling. They've been getting shoved around too much, and they finally got aggressive and got their edge back. Yeah, Kaufusi carried it a bit too far, but the Gonzaga guys weren't angels, either. It was a rough game in the low block and bodies were on the floor all night. Just that kind of a game, with a number one rating on the line for one team, and a world of pride on the line for the other. This BYU team put it all out there on the floor tonight -- 100% effort -- and no one can ask for more than that. The crowd was loud -- it was a great atmosphere -- I can live with a few boos. Great game!

Buffalochp1

• moderateinmagna MAGNA, UT
    March 1, 2013 12:31 a.m.

ok all you ute trolls or whatever you call yourselves after the game tonite can any of you explain what coach Few meant when asked by ESPN 'how did you pull off this win "and few answered "we had the right officials out there tonight" sounds very suspicious to me thats probably why their big men never fouled out OLYNYK had 2 fouls and Harris had 3 even tho they were both mugging haws and Davies i counted 5 travels that never called and they were blocking BYU,S players all night but never got called,you guys don,t ever comment on utah,s thread because you can,t stand to cheer for a bunch of near bottom feeders you call BUY fans obnoxious ,well before you open your mouths i suggest you take a good look at yourselves first.

• TrollPolice Salt Lake City, UT
    March 1, 2013 12:29 a.m.

LOL!

More comments from Utah trolls about the BYU-Gonzaga game, than about the Utah-California game...

and Utah's game ENDED before BYU's game even started...

obsessed much Utah fans?

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    March 1, 2013 12:28 a.m.

They had several opportunities to win this. Failure to capitalize. A lot of missed baskets at the end with Gonzaga on their heels.
    Good--rebounding, defense, and Haws.
    Bad--shooting 36% from the field and 58 % free throws. This is the poorest shooting team Rose has had in a long time

The Cougs played hard but they just don't have the talent to finish the upset against a good team.

Observations--Carlino had a pretty good 1st half but was obviously in Rose's doghouse the 2nd half. I don' understand why the 3rd best scorer and the steals league leader is not even on the floor for most of the 2nd half.
    Sharp was the ONLY productive player in their last meeting with the Zags and he didn't get more than a minute of playing time tonight. Why is he in the doghouse?

• LonestarRunner Salt Lake City, UT
    March 1, 2013 12:20 a.m.

StGtoSLC

"So did Coach Rose attempt to take a page out of Larry's book..."

Hardly.

The gaping hole in your theory is Utah does the slow down hack fest EVERY game (averaging 64 ppg), while this was an outlier for BYU (averaging 77 ppg).

BYU scored more points against the #2 team in the country in a nail-biting 65-70 loss, than the Utes have managed against 9 of their last 10 opponents. I don't even remember the last time BYU only scored 46 in a game like the Utes did in their 46-64 loss to California tonight.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    March 1, 2013 12:16 a.m.

StGto SLC

I've never seen Gonzaga have so many calls against them, or seen the opposite team get away with basically mugging the opponent. Kafusi has no buisiness on the court. Davies isnt far behind. I wonder if Rose told to go out and rough up Olynyk and Harris; sure looked like it.

• 86&90UTE Holladay, UT
    March 1, 2013 12:13 a.m.

Very impressed that BYU stayed in this game. But, to be honest, BYU got lucky in the fact that they packed things in their zone and basically gave Gonzaga the three and Gonzaga was so off on the three tonight. If Gonzaga makes 6 more threes, then they win by twenty. But, BYU had five trips down the court when they were down by one and missed the shot all five times. Just like my Utes, moral victories are meaningless!!!

• lloyd braun ogden, utah
    March 1, 2013 12:08 a.m.

I will be glad to see Zylstra move on. Maybe he should wait until he hits a big shot to win a game to celebrate like he does. He tightens up like crazy when it's on the line. Maybe a couple more football guys could join the team and thug it up some more. Cheap fouls by Kaufusi, and nice taunting after each one. I didn't see a lot of that from the Zags, just good plays. Olynyk and Pangos are class acts. BYU needs to decide who their go to guy is and have him shoot the shots down the stretch, not just my turn to jack one up mentality.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Feb. 28, 2013 11:58 p.m.

gonefishn, yelling "You got swatted" after Kaufusi could have broken Harris' nose was a nice touch, too. I usually make that cheer on a blocked shot, not a blatant hack, but it is a different bunch down there.

• Swoop Salt Lake City, UT
    March 1, 2013 12:00 a.m.

gonefishn

"As for the fans they proved two things, they are loud and ignorant."

For quiet and ignorant fans, see mirror.

Utah fans boo EVERY call that doesn't go Utah's way, regardless of how obvious.

• sky2k1 Provo, UT
    Feb. 28, 2013 11:58 p.m.

Only in a real basketball conference can you have the opportunity to play the #2 team in the country. Only on BYU boards can you find Ute trolls posting 30 minutes after the game/article go up. I would also like to say hello to Chris B. and Navel Vet because I'm sure they'll be here soon enough.

• gonefishn Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 28, 2013 11:50 p.m.

Great effort by the BYU team, they had a couple different chances and that is all you can ask for. As for the fans they proved two things, they are loud and ignorant. Booing every single call no matter how obvious is getting old.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Feb. 28, 2013 11:46 p.m.

Good battle, tough loss for the Cougs, fun game to watch regardless of which team you rooted for. However, there was something odd I noticed that's contrary to what the fans have told me. BYU, I was told, plays a fun, fast-paced, high-scoring game to try get their wins, while Utah games are a "hackfest" designed to stay close with opponents to give the "illusion" that they can compete with them. So did Coach Rose attempt to take a page out of Larry's book against a team that BYU had no business being on the court with last time? Elias Harris and Kelly Olynyk looked like they got brutalized by Kaufusi, who averaged one foul every two minutes, and Davies likely would have fouled out if the game wasn't so close and his scoring ability was so needed. I'm sure this wasn't really the case, though, because can you imagine how silly the people who believe those things they said would look if their team had to resort to it?

• Ute parents - me Cougar Rathdrum, ID
    Feb. 28, 2013 11:49 p.m.

It was fun tonight as the Cougs put on a good show. They did have the opportunities.
    NIT final four.