Utah

Construction on Provo Tabernacle gets off the ground

Comments

• snowman Provo, UT
    March 1, 2013 4:52 p.m.

Most recommended

Capsaicin: Becaues it is an historical building

• Capsaicin Salt Lake City, UT
    March 1, 2013 4:05 a.m.

Just think of what a new modern building could look like. I don't understand why they keep it.

• suzyk#1 Mount Pleasant, UT
    Feb. 28, 2013 7:47 a.m.

To Lonster: Unless you are a faithful member of the LDS church you would not understand God's will. Many times there are disasters and what comes from them and out of them is so much better than it was before. As in life, when there is tragedy and heartache something wonderful begins to grow and there is peace and happiness once again...that is the way the Lord works.

• Thatts Provo, UT
    Feb. 27, 2013 5:09 p.m.

"Lift where you stand." - Pres. Uchtdorf

• snowman Provo, UT
    Feb. 27, 2013 3:25 p.m.

The Caravan Moves On: You obviously do not know anything about this building. There was a lower level and they plan on digging even deeper than that. As the building is now it is not big enough for what they want to do.

• The Caravan Moves On Enid, OK
    Feb. 27, 2013 9:24 a.m.

A basement?

Wow! Just WOW!

I knew the Church was going to save the building and convert it into a temple, but I did not know this was how they were going to do it!

This is too cool!!

I, for one, am GLAD that the Church is putting my tithing (and therefore the Lord's resources) to use in this manner. The Church members in Provo, as a whole, loved the Provo Tabernacle and were justifiably proud of it and the fire wounded many hearts. How wonderful for the Lord to grant permission to retain the 'tabernacle' AND bless the city with another temple. It is truly a win-win situation and yet another example of how the Lord can 'make lemonade' out of lemons.

The Church is true! Drive on!

• phoenix Gilbert, AZ
    Feb. 26, 2013 5:44 p.m.

Eliyahu

Not many temples are built in commercial districts, but there's nothing wrong with merchants and developers taking advantage of the economic development that occurs naturally around a destination site like a temple. It doesn't make them greedy, just smart business developers.

I'm sure that members visiting the Provo City Center temple will enjoy having shops and restaurants nearby, and many people enjoy living close to a temple.

Let's not forget that the church just spent over $1 billion to build City Creek right across the street from Temple Square for similar reasons.

• Eliyahu Pleasant Grove, UT
    Feb. 26, 2013 3:40 p.m.

"A lot of interest has been piqued from developers and retail outlets wanting to be associated with the temple,” I'm not LDS and don't have a horse in this race, but it just seems wrong to me that the developers and retailers nearby seem to view this primarily as an opportunity to turn a profit from their church.

• skywalker Palo Alto, CA
    Feb. 26, 2013 1:39 p.m.

Go Big Blue!!!

"I am as sentimental as the next guy,..."

Apparently not if you're more concerned with cost than with history.

The Provo City Temple will a beautiful modern, yet historical, building when completed.

• snowman Provo, UT
    Feb. 26, 2013 11:54 a.m.

MoJules: They aren't raising it. They are digging a basement under it.

• dalefarr South Jordan, Utah
    Feb. 26, 2013 10:16 a.m.

I have fond memories of meetings in the old Tabernacle. Hopefully the substitute temple will do the same for others.

• Go Big Blue!!! Bountiful, UT
    Feb. 26, 2013 10:13 a.m.

I am as sentimental as the next guy, but this is serious waste of church resources. The cost of saving this shell of a building and retrofitting it into a functioning temple has to be way more expensive than leveling it and starting from scratch.

Perhaps the church is still trying to make up for leveling the Coalville tabernacle in the middle of the night. The Coalville tabernacle was still a beautiful functioning building. The Provo remaining shell . . . not so much.

• MoJules Florissant, MO
    Feb. 26, 2013 10:10 a.m.

That is amazing, I didn't realize that they were going to raise it, it really will be beautiful when it is complete, I hope I can get back to Utah after 2015 and see it.

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    Feb. 26, 2013 9:37 a.m.

Just don't try to build it higher than 3 stories...the Provo NIMBY's will be on you like ants on a picnic.

• mhilton Lancaster, CA
    Feb. 26, 2013 8:05 a.m.

Absolutely AMAZING!

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Feb. 26, 2013 7:59 a.m.

This will bring so many blessings to Provo. Far too many to count.

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    Feb. 26, 2013 6:19 a.m.

@Tardis

Go to the LDS Temples website, there are scores of construction photos.

• Cats Somewhere in Time, UT
    Feb. 26, 2013 6:10 a.m.

The Provo Temple isn't "generally considered" to be one of the busiest temples. It IS one of the busiest temples. There needs to be some better writing on the paper.

• TARDIS Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 25, 2013 9:02 p.m.

As much as I LOVE to see this news, it kind of saddens me a bit. I LOVE pictures like this. How come in this day and age- where HD is practically commonplace, that we can't get somewhat bigger pictures to view? I want detail! The D.N. still doesn't provide on this point. :(

I love you Deseret News. Please, show the love back. lol