Utah

Hale Centre Theatre moving to Sandy

Comments

• johanngoethe SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Feb. 27, 2013 11:58 a.m.

Some considerations:
    1. the theater should have a gallery similar to the Pioneer Theater's Loge gallery where artists display paintings during a play's showing period. The Theater would take a 30% commission on works sold, which would help defray costs while also stimulating the visual art of painting in the community.
    2. the current Hale has foot room for children, not adults like me. There is little room for people on the way to their seats to move over seated guests.
    3. parking at the current Hale is woefully inadequate, which encroaches on the parking for the cinemas next door. Calculate one parking space / 1.8 guests.
    4. what would keep an enterprising theater troupe from continuing similar theater offerings in the West Valley building? Thespians and dramaturgs, go for it!!
    5. Trax access is essential for the future. Don't mess up that aspect.

• aceroinox Farmington, UT
    Feb. 26, 2013 5:51 p.m.

@ DRay and others up north concerned about the distance to Sandy: If you haven't yet taken in a show at Centerpoint Legacy Theatre in Centerville, you're in for a treat. The venue is brand new (well, a couple of years old), and features many of the same cast members you're used to seeing at Hale Centre Theatre. And, thankfully, you will also see high-quality, family-friendly shows that you've become used to at Hale. It is a stone's throw from the Centerville I-15 exit and has plenty of parking.

My family has thoroughly enjoyed the entertainment offered on both the main stage and in the "black box" theatres. We also attend 3-4 shows a year at Hale, though that may diminish with the increased distance. Both organizations seem to sell out their 530-seat venues on a fairly regular basis, so the market for family theater must be alive and well in Utah.

• ctylem East Millcreek, UT
    Feb. 26, 2013 4:31 p.m.

The old location has much better Trax access than does the new one. Hale is currently a five minute walk from a Green Line station on Decker Lake Drive. The new location will require patrons taking Trax to cross State Street and walk along 100th South for fifteen minutes. That is pretty lame to me.

• mightyhunterhaha Kaysville, UT
    Feb. 26, 2013 1:59 p.m.

Wrong move. Utah county has a hale Theater. WVC was a drive from Davis County but not too bad. I won't be driving to Sandy. It should stay closer to downtown. Pioneer Theater will be my new theater.

• tuinlvr Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 26, 2013 9:33 a.m.

Hale Center receives $87K from the State Legislature (and have asked for $2M more), receive ZAP funds from Salt Lake County, and have just spent two years pitting Sandy and West Valley against each other to get the maximum municipal incentives possible. So saying that they pay their own way is not totally accurate. What you can say is that they are politically astute and know how to work the system.

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    Feb. 26, 2013 9:33 a.m.

@Cats

Not a single penny of tax dollars went to the Real Salt Lake stadium. Despite what you read in the papers, it was 100% privately financed. Do some research...get the facts.

• Allen#2 WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    Feb. 26, 2013 8:19 a.m.

MYTH: Hale Center Theater does not ask for government funds.

FACT: Hale Center Theater HAS received $ 87,000 yearly and their lobbyist has requested another
    $ 2,000,000 MORE from the legislature to help them move.

• Counter Intelligence Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 26, 2013 8:16 a.m.

They should move downtown rather than build a new downtown in Sandy

• mountain man Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 26, 2013 8:09 a.m.

I am the real mountain man. And I speak for all men of the mountains.
    Hale theatre is a gem stone in our community.
    They want to own not lease. Didn't west valley figure that one out?

• gmckay ,
    Feb. 26, 2013 8:08 a.m.

Good for Hale Centre Centre and kudos to Mark and Sally. They have done a tremendous job in providing clean, first class entertainment to the State and they will no doubt be even more successful in their new venue. Congratulations.

• Cats Somewhere in Time, UT
    Feb. 26, 2013 8:03 a.m.

Dear 1conservative: The taxayers are not paying for this. It is a private group and they pay their own way. That's the real American way. I agree with you, though. It was ridiculous for the taxpayers to pay for the Real Salt Lake stadium. That was wrong.

• Flashback Kearns, UT
    Feb. 26, 2013 7:46 a.m.

I have to sit on the front row due to lack of leg room and sometimes I hang my feet out into the set. More leg room would be good.

• Ralph West Jordan Taylorsville, UT
    Feb. 26, 2013 7:23 a.m.

Leg room! Nuff Said!

• 1conservative WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    Feb. 26, 2013 7:04 a.m.

Can't wait to seee HOW MUCH taxpayers are on hook for this. I hope Sandy residents (my apologies to Sandy residents)will be footing the bill instead of the rest of the county or the state.

Its interesting that the article doesn't tell us those facts!

Public financing - private profits The Utah way!!

• BYUalum South Jordan, UT
    Feb. 26, 2013 6:53 a.m.

Will we see a raise in the ticket prices next year? That is my concern. We have been season ticket holders for several years. We have always come away from Hale Theatre satisfied. This is an amazing venue for this community. There is outstanding talent here in this valley, and we have loved every performance we have attended! Ticket pricing will now be the determining factor for us to continue going.

• Cats Somewhere in Time, UT
    Feb. 26, 2013 6:15 a.m.

Hale Center Theatre is a private organization that pays its own way. They do not accept government grants. They make it because they provide a product people want. Unlike other theatre groups around the area, they are independent. They can spend any amount they want to on a new theatre. It's their money. I'm just glad they're doing so well that they can afford it.

• UTAH Bill Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 26, 2013 2:40 a.m.

The current theater is centrally located in the Valley. It's too far for me to drive to Sandy. I guess that means I'll be done with Hale Theater.

• My2Cents Taylorsville, UT
    Feb. 26, 2013 2:08 a.m.

For as long as the e-Center (Hale) has been in its location I have never really known what that place is. At first I thought it was a low use sports arena or convention center and the only time I have seen it used is when Copper Hills High school used it for graduation ceremonies and outside as a charity flea market once.

Its location in not very convenient and the majority of local business is hotels and restaurants serving hotel guests during daylight hours. One road access and exit is nightmarish for any practical use. I do remember that it was very frustrating when leaving the venue with traffic backed up and very slow moving so many vehicles out of its parking lot.

I have to agree that the move is smart and necessary if this business wants to move forward and expand its venues.

The $65 million cost is irrelevant, its a private concession not funded by tax payers, I think, and cheap considering they can sell the old house to pay for the new house. Sandy city is recovering $6.5M funds that could have been lost in illegal real-estate brokering.

• Shawnm750 West Jordan, UT
    Feb. 26, 2013 12:29 a.m.

@The Mtn Man - the current location is too small for all of the business it does, and can't accommodate all the theater-goers. Plus, it's in constant competition with the Maverik Center for parking when both have events going. Besides, the old theater isn't going to be useless. WVC can now have other events there.

My only concern is that the location of the new theater is a bit difficult to get to, and the surrounding infrastructure doesn't seem adequate to accommodate all that added traffic before and after shows. Trax is close by, but that means a lot more pedestrians in the area around those times. I hope the city is planning for all that.

• THE MTN MAN Taylorsville, UT
    Feb. 25, 2013 10:17 p.m.

This seems like reckless spending to me. $65 million is a lot of money, especially when there is a perfectly good theater in West Valley, with plenty of parking, and plenty of surrounding restaurants, and great freeway access. Who is gonna pay for this extravagant new theater in Sandy? Taxpayers? I hope not.

• A voice of Reason Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 25, 2013 8:43 p.m.

I've never liked the current location. The e-center and Hale seem slightly odd as neighbors and more importantly it just doesn't seem like the right location for the business of a playhouse. There are so many more locations in the valley that get more daily traffic and are located near more restaurants, etc. I'm sure everyone loved it there, so I'm not ragging on it. But I think it's nice to see a move. I hope it does them well.

• DRay Roy, UT
    Feb. 25, 2013 7:31 p.m.

Based on demand, it would seem a second theatre ought to be established further North, in Layton perhaps? I like theatre such as Hale presents, but not to commute on I-15 in late evening all the way from Roy to Sandy,