U.S. & World

Sequester no longer scares Republicans

Comments

• Bored to the point of THIS! Ogden, UT
    Feb. 25, 2013 7:25 a.m.

Re: worf

I love it when you post. I get to start my day with a good laugh.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Feb. 23, 2013 2:12 p.m.

one old man--your philosophies reflect your belief in propaganda. "Love for America radio", is an anecdote for the bias discrimination venom spewing from our propaganda media.

• one old man Ogden, UT
    Feb. 23, 2013 10:46 a.m.

Actually, if some regular posters would take the time to actually learn something, they would discover that the idea of the sequester originated in a closed door meeting with Obama and several Congressional representatives including John Boehner. There are widely conflicting stories from those who were there about who actually made the first proposal. But there is no doubt that the Republicans enthusiastically jumped aboard.

Simply repeating endlessly the propaganda they hear on hate radio does not add anything of value to the discussions here.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Feb. 23, 2013 9:38 a.m.

Sequester was created by Barrack Obama, and stated he would veto any attempts to change it.

• Furry1993 Ogden, UT
    Feb. 23, 2013 7:34 a.m.

I find it repugnant that the radical far right wing of the political party to which I belong (I'm a Republican) cares more about playing politics than it does about the welfare of this country and its people, to the point that it would rather put hundreds of thousands of people out of work rather than strive to find a rational solution to the economic problems we face. I find it repugnant that the radical far right would rather send the country down the toilet than work across the aisle to reach a rational solution to the problems we face. The radical far right wing of the Preubican Party is forcing the sequester to happen, and that is repugnant to me.

I have seen people call the Republicans the "Repugnant" party. Sadly, the actions of those on on the far right serving in Congress are proving that appelation true. I am ashamed of what my party is doing. I am sticking with it to try to make it better and more rational, but I am worried that the radical far right extremists are so much in control of it that its saving is not possible. Sad.

• My2Cents Taylorsville, UT
    Feb. 23, 2013 6:29 a.m.

Having conversed with Utah representatives in Washington they are on the right track, this article for some reason was more honest than the usual slum talk from he news media. It also is putting fear in the minds that the free ride on government waste must not end.

We can pretty much expect that Utah will lose half its billion dollar budget and then some with military & civil service job reductions at all military installations of the Air Force, Army, branches of service. Downsizing personnel and equipment will be an economic disaster for Utah and the Governor is in denial to reduce state waste and spending.

Federal downsizing means a loss of retail market spending on local purchase and home rentals and home loan defaults. Why Obama is back peddling now is because this sequester will downsize welfare, extravagant education funds, infrastructure growth, and health care exchange insurance fraud in medicaid and medicare by Utah and its extravagant medical fraud.

Will this give the governor incentive to depopulate Utah of its illegal aliens haven residency on welfare or will he continue his plans to raise our sales and property taxes to sustain socialized and maintain poverty?

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    Feb. 22, 2013 10:30 p.m.

And this surprises anyone?

Why don't we demand more from the US Congress, like actually doing some meaningful work?

One is lead to ask: "Are they really competent?" (Don't answer, please....)

• Tolstoy salt lake, UT
    Feb. 22, 2013 8:41 p.m.

The reason they are not worried is at 15 perecent approval rating they really can't do much worse then they are already doing.