LDS Church creates 58 missions in response to surge in missionary applications

• MrRed Salt Lake City, UT
    March 28, 2013 10:56 a.m.

Some of those new missions in México are in some extremely dangerous regions.

Control of these areas by various drug cartels is quite strong.

Ciudad Juarez?

Other northern border cities of México

In my opinion, this is asking for trouble.

If any of these missionaries are harmed, will The Church be held responsible for placing these young folks in regions of México well known to be unsafe, where thousands of murders have occurred?

• The Caravan Moves On Enid, OK
    Feb. 27, 2013 9:13 a.m.

I have a son serving right now in Maryland, a daughter who is 18 and another son who just turned 16. My wife and I and our 16 year old son are working towards the goal of having him leave the summer after he graduates high school in 2 more years.

Who knows? Perhaps our oldest daughter will choose to serve, too. Our oldest son's 24 month mission will cost us approximately $11,000. I'd like to have that money to do other things with, but in the end, ALL things belong to the Lord, including the wealth He has so graciously granted us. That money could not be spent on any 'better' thing.

The lowering of the age is a HUGE blessing, particularly for the young men. It was a challenge to graduate from high school at 17, put my future life on hold while I waited to serve my mission. Now the young men can graduate from high school and be gone in a few months. Awesome!

Truly the 'weak things' of the world will preach the gospel to the kings and queens of the earth.

The Church is true! Drive on!

• Bill in Nebraska Maryville, MO
    Feb. 26, 2013 7:39 p.m.

Actually it isn't the return missionaries that are leaving but the ages between 18-25. Most leave the LDS Church during that first year after high school. Why, because once they get on their own they are away from their parents and tend to try to fit in with the crowd. Yes, some are return missionaries but the biggest ones are the ones who never or don't go on a mission.

Will the new missionary age limit that is really up to the individual. The missionaries are their to teach the gospel of Jesus Christ. PREACH MY GOSPEL is a revelationary book and answers 90% of any of the questions the evangelicals can come up with. Many missionaries will just leave when a confrontation is taking place. They have been instructed to do so because to stay looses the spirit. You will find out that soon the missionaries will be as well trained as the evangelicals and even more so. They will be stronger in their testimonies and in the spirit. They will be able to with stand all that Satan has to through at them. The number will drop considerably and therefore a stronger more vibrant missionary force.

• OnlytheCross Bakersfield, CA
    Feb. 26, 2013 11:12 a.m.

@Provo Scientist-

Don't know if your facts are accurate, but just read last October that LDS college-age kids are the highest number who are leaving the church in record numbers. The reason given was their high internet/research access now, which show all the church's past history, revelation and temple rite changes. They claim they have not been given all the facts and they're upset.

I have several nephews, RMs, who were challenged by non-Utah Christians about their Biblical claims while on missions. They could not research or get sufficient answers while Ms, but got plenty afterward.

I think the LDS church should invite discussion, debate, education on all-things Mormon and save those souls who might stay, could they get more info outside the "Zion Curtain", as it's referred to. They are taking a big risk by sending the younger kids. Evangelicals are trained and waiting, believe me!

• A Scientist Provo, UT
    Feb. 26, 2013 9:53 a.m.

Drastic times call for drastic actions. The lowering of the missionary age is a drastic action prompted by drastic drops in convert baptisms and drastic increases in members going inactive or leaving the Church completely.

The LDS Church is not so worried about the old folks. It is the younger generation of 20 somethings who are much more secular than any generation before them. The LDS Church employs not only a large Public Relations firm and Department, but also a department staffed with social scientists who study the membership of the Church and make recommendations to "the Brethren". That research shows that unemployment is high and college enrollments are low for that young group. So the Church is putting them to work early, before they can get out of their homes and become entrenched in that common "singles" lifestyle that depletes the energy of a generation.

I admire the Church's efforts in this regard, but I doubt it will make much of a difference. The highest inactivity rate in the LDS Church is among returned missionaries. This age change and Mission increase will not change that; it will make it worse!

• Filo Doughboy Bakersfield, CA
    Feb. 25, 2013 10:46 p.m.

Send the kids to Backo! Hope they paid attention in their Bible classes. We're ready for 'em!

• Nachtmerrie_in_Brugge Mesa, AZ
    Feb. 25, 2013 1:22 p.m.

Johnny Triumph, I wouldn't count Western Europe out just yet. I know of one mission there that is nearly doubling in size, and I'm guessing it's not the only one. If this keeps up, hopefully the Church will still reopen some of the European missions it consolidated a decade ago.

• Elcapitan Ivins, UT
    Feb. 25, 2013 12:27 p.m.

The little stone spoken of in the vision of Nebuchednezzar by the Prophet Daniel, cut out of the mountins in the latter days is rolling forward to fill the whole earth. During the last wondow of time, the restored gospel is being shared with all the world. What a joy and blessing to live in such a time and and see ones children involved in building up the Kingdom of God as well.

• Irrelevant Provo, UT
    Feb. 25, 2013 10:35 a.m.

The church is ridiculously true!

• Plowboy185 Provo, UT
    Feb. 25, 2013 10:15 a.m.

Has a map come out detailing the changes in the mission boundaries. The ones I am most interested in are California Bakersfield and Arizona Gilbert. I also find it interesting that so few changes were made in Europe.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 24, 2013 12:51 p.m.

"In two years when missionary numbers have recovered from the spike of sending two years of missionaries in one year and numbers are back down to pre Oct 2011 levels, I wonder if there will be a reduction of 58 missions."

I don't think the number will fall to pre Oct 2011 levels. It'll drop some since obviously future years won't have two years of guys and three years of girls in their first year of eligibility but the younger ages will allow for more men and especially more women to serve missions so maybe it'll fall like 20 missions. Then again I think the surge in missions is a smaller percentage of total missions than the surge in missionaries is as a percentage of missionaries. The church might already be planning for the dropoff and is just temporarily having more crowded missions.

• twspears6007 Bakersfield, CA
    Feb. 24, 2013 8:53 a.m.

This is great news. I live in Bakersfield California and look foward to the new mission here in my hometown. For years we have looked forward to having a Temple and we know that someday that will happen. Having a Mission Home here in Bakersfield is a blessing. Sincerely. Trenton

• STB Pleasant Grove, UT
    Feb. 24, 2013 7:40 a.m.

I served in Cancun Mexico in the Merida Mission. That place was awesome and very productive. Who ever goes there will be very blessed.

• Dennis Harwich, MA
    Feb. 24, 2013 7:41 a.m.

"We just need to keep aligning our compass to the north star and do as the Prophets, Apostles, Stakes Presidents, Bishops and others do each week in our various meetings."

@ JWB...are you really serious in writing this? I'll follow what "I" think is best for me. The North Star and a handful of volunteer ecclesiastical neighbors are not particularly all that well informed.

• Nora Nell Olympia, WA
    Feb. 23, 2013 11:22 p.m.

Since I live in Washington State in the USA, I am eager to see what the boundaries will be for the Vancouver, WA Mission and the Federal Way, WA Mission. What an exciting time to be living. Praise the Lord!!!

• JWB Kaysville, UT
    Feb. 23, 2013 1:22 p.m.

What ever brings increased numbers is great. The Lord has his plan and the leaders have that all in tune with the Lord. As we know we live in good times as our general leaders remind us at least twice a year during the General Conferences. However, our world around us highlights only the crisis to keep people in the fear mode. That mode is not beneficial for our families and our mental state.

The world is full of people that want to have a better life. They hear the message and know the message brings them truth and that Heavenly Father has a plan for them. It may not be what they can accept at the time but others will help align their compasses on future visits, now or later.

Buenas noticias or good news comes in many forms. We can be positive in the message to prepare while we are in our youth. I am grateful for our leaders who are inspired to bring us this news today.

• rhappahannock Washington, DC
    Feb. 23, 2013 1:19 p.m.

Interesting to see 5 new missions in Africa. Those missions will not be closed when the work slows down - Africa is the fastest growing area of the church on a percent growth basis. It is also one of the fastest growing areas for Islam, which makes our efforts there much more important.

It is time to start building a BYU-Africa. It would add substance to the work there, be a great PR move, and accelerate the growth of the church.

• sixpacktr Murfreesboro, TN
    Feb. 23, 2013 10:44 a.m.

I think that the numbers will stay up because now the young men will prepare to go out of high school more than before and most definitely a lot of the sisters will serve. Many sisters that considered serving got married in the interim waiting to turn 21.

Young men were not answering their Priesthood duty and serving as they covenants to do, so The Lord had to reach out to the sisters to fill in where the YM chose not to. Hopefully that year less of waiting, under then tutelage and watchful eyes of their parents will cause the young men's numbers to increase even more.

• BevWel Grants Pass, OR
    Feb. 23, 2013 10:05 a.m.

How awesome is this! There is great wisdom in sending our youth at an earlier age before they get into other aspects of their lives. Having a prophet on the earth makes a huge difference for all us! I love being LDS!! It was missionaries who helped to teach me and I am grateful to have served three missions, two with my husband. No one can ever count how much our own lives are enriched by serving.

• bw00ds Tucson, AZ
    Feb. 23, 2013 10:04 a.m.

@Bastiatarian YES! I agree. I didn't serve in Tokyo South, but in Sendai when there was a Tokyo South. And I'm from Tucson, too!

• SLCWatch Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 23, 2013 8:40 a.m.

Now if there was only some way to lower the age that senior couples could go...Thats tongue in cheek. Many couples don't realize they don't need to wait to be 65. My wife and I have served two full time missions already and will be going again. Neither of us is 60 yet. Get out of debt, plan to go and the means will become available. I lost a parent during each mission. I was where they wanted me when they died. We had a son marry and spend his honeymoon with us in Japan, our first and second grandchildren were born and we changed the lives of hundreds of young missionaries by supporting and teaching them. You won't miss as much by going as you will miss by staying home. Seniors, get off the recliner and go serve!!! The Lord needs your experience!

• Keith1943 Spring City, UT
    Feb. 23, 2013 8:06 a.m.

The article says that with this change, there are actually NO new missions or territories where missionaries haven't already been serving, just boundary changes to accommodate the surge of young people going on their missions earlier than they would have under the old policy. In a couple of years the total missionaries serving throughout the world will drop back down, because those who were the first to serve at the younger age, will have reached the age they would have served under the old policy.

The greater truth in all this is that the Church will now be able to encourage young men and women who before, for various reasons under the old policy, by the time they reached the age to serve, would have taken a different path, will most likely now serve. The net effect is that a greater number will serve.

As far as the Church being able to maintain a force of 60,000 missionaries after this first two year influx ends, only time will tell. The bigger question is, what caused the total missionary force to drop below 60,000 and remain there for so many years?

• woolybruce Idaho Falls, ID
    Feb. 23, 2013 8:04 a.m.

• tgurd Gonzales, LA
    Feb. 23, 2013 7:25 a.m.

The joy is unspeakable to see how the Lord is moving his work forward, praise be to the parents and young people, to seminary teachers,Sunday school and young men and you woman teachers who are doing their part to help these new Missionaries to gain testamonies and go forth like the armies of Helaman and spread the gospel throughout the earth. The prophecies of Daniel are being fulfilled right before us. I am so glad to be a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints and to watch the gospel going forward by the greatest of Heavenly Fathers Spirit children. Glory be to God, to his son Jesus Christ and may Gods blessings be with each of you who desire to serve.

• deseret pete robertson, Wy
    Feb. 23, 2013 7:17 a.m.

Certainly an exciting time for the church and the all the new missionaries -- When I was serving back in 1958 - 1960 I was in the Northwestern States Mission which covered northern Idaho, Washington, Oregon, Vancouver Island, and Alaska. There were only about 6-8 Elders in Alaska at the time I was transferred from Kellog Idaho to Ketchican, Alaska. Alaska had just become a State in Feb.1959.When I renewed my drivers license in Anchorage it Still said Territory of Alaska.It would be interesting to know how many missions have been created from that one mission

• LitenUp Bountiful, UT
    Feb. 23, 2013 12:03 a.m.

Wonderful news for all!!!
    Colorado, Denver is getting a great man. The Missionaries and people will love him.
    Is Colorado, Denver a split from what used to be the Utah, Vernal Mission?

• AZRods Maricopa, AZ
    Feb. 22, 2013 9:07 p.m.

memdem, I wondered about the big fireplaces and wonder if some went to the same place to open their calls.
    And yes, we do take the words of Jesus Christ seriously when in his final parting words he said to go forth to every nation, kindred tongue and people to preach his gospel.

Yay for Gilbert AZ. That's an amazing choice and a very good one.

My old Honduras mission that included Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica y Panama has changed a bit since '73. Wow! Fun time.

Just wish you could find all the nay sayers on here who were predicting that the church would shrivel and dry up within the next 10 years and become a forgotten entity.

I'd say we're headed in the wrong direction for someone's hopes and dreams :)

• MemoFromA Demo SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Feb. 22, 2013 8:43 p.m.

I've got to say, you Mormon people seem to take your missions seriously. I thought the Olympus High School video was entertaining. It brought a smile to my face. And whats with all the big fireplaces?

• Abinadis friend Boise, Idaho
    Feb. 22, 2013 6:25 p.m.

The Lord is speeding up the work, it is the Latterdays and we need to move at a swifter pace. What a wonderful time
    to be on the earth and see what is happening. Bless you all who grasp the rod and follow the Prophet.

• Bastiatarian TUCSON, AZ
    Feb. 22, 2013 5:43 p.m.

Yes! Tokyo South is back!

• Johnny Triumph American Fork, UT
    Feb. 22, 2013 4:07 p.m.

This is completely fantastic! Very telling where the growth is, no expansion for Western Europe.