Sports

BYU football: Cougar coach Bronco Mendenhall hires Guy Holliday, Jason Beck as position coaches

Comments

• WON84 PLANO, TX
    Feb. 19, 2013 3:03 p.m.

'U 90

Corona, CA

@ RAW "Ummm BYU's defense was ranked 3rd overall in 2012"

Consider the competition'

BYU played five ranked teams (Boise, ND, Oregon St., SJSU, and USU) and beat one. Utah played only two (Oregon St. and USU), and lost to both.

• truecoug1 Provo, UT
    Feb. 17, 2013 9:05 p.m.

@UteJunky

Totally agree with R.A.W. BYU's D held Utah's O to 17 points (and that was with the 3 TO's the Utes "forced"). BYU's O scored 21 points. BYU's D held BSU's O to 0 points (and that was with the 5 TO's that BSU forced). BYU's O scored 6 points in that game.

Both of those games are wins if our inept offense doesn't spot the opposing team a TD. Heck, even the Notre Dame game would have been a win if Riley could've thrown the ball within a yard of a wide open Cody Hoffman.

I agree that BYU's defensive numbers were inflated to a degree from the competition that we played. However, as has been pointed out, BYU also played some great teams and the only one that got out of hand was the OSU game, and even that game was close until a couple of fluke bounces went the Beavers way.

BYU's D and punting last year was stellar. Nothing else was, but don't take that away from us, we need to take comfort in something! :)

Go Cougars!

• Billy Budd Saint George, UT
    Feb. 17, 2013 6:03 p.m.

@utejunky70 3:36PM

"...Just wanted to comment on an interview I heard with Doman on DJ and PK. What an outstanding man Brandon Doman is. He handled himself so well in the interview.
    He may have been in over his head a little bit as OC but at the end of day isn't that just as much the head coaches fault as it is Domans?...".

Interesting question. Another question, asked by others, is why should Brandon, Ben and Joe lose their jobs, yet the person responsible for the man-crush on Riley not be held accountable?

• UteJunky70 midvale, UT
    Feb. 17, 2013 5:08 p.m.

I really enjoy exchanging dialogue with cougar fans who are rational and make good points. We all know that there is a ton of irrational fans on both sides.

R.A.W respect.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Feb. 17, 2013 1:49 p.m.

Utejunk

You lose.

In fairness, when an outstanding defense, such as the one that beat 'Bama, plays on an outstanding team, the need to single out how good the defense was is dissipated. We had a great defense. And great punting down the stretch. No need for a Ute to try to negate what little we had. Those who attempt are wrong.

I
    gdog3finally
    West Jordan, Utah

Fair enough. Honest analysis from a Ute fan trying to be objective, but who doesn't care enough about BYU to want to try to understand it from the ground up, I can live with that.

But don't be surprised if BYU fans continue to try to micro dissect, and continue to do so till the team actually performs ABOVE expectations (ours) instead of below.

And to whoever it was that hoped Anae "learned something," Anae's offenses were GOOD. The problem was, and may still be, that they were predictable. What we hope for is Boise State style of unpredictably good. That's all.

• R.A.W St George, Utah
    Feb. 17, 2013 10:45 a.m.

Utejunk70

Notre Dame #4
    Utah State #16
    Boise State #18
    Oregon St. #20
    San Jose St. #21

And I will agree your defense dominated our inept offense, but saying your defense, and Boise St. Defense outplayed BYU's is stupid. If Riley Nelson hadn't blotched a snap your defense returned for a TD or thrown a pick six against Boise, we win both those games with great defensive efforts. Because the offense was unable to move the ball, the defense was constantly stuck defending a short field. The numbers don't lie.
    BYU #3 in total defense against 5 top 25 teams
    Utah #36 in total defense against 2 top 25 teams

• UteJunky70 midvale, UT
    Feb. 17, 2013 9:46 a.m.

@R.A.W. I never said your defense wasn't legit I just said it wasn't as good as the Defenses of the teams you lost to. Also I don't believe in giveaways I believe in takeaways. For ex. if a center snaps the ball between your QBs legs in a shotgun its because he's getting his but kicked by the DT and he's scared. Also who were the 5 ranked teams BYU played?

@Sky2K1. Our offense was worse then yours so if we didn't win that game on defense then what did we win it on? Also it was your vaunted defense that gave up a 48yd TD pass to 1 of the worst offenses in college football. Again I never said your defense wasn't good. I just said they weren't legendary. My Utes have had 5 or 6 defenses in the past 10 years that were better. You guys just aren't used to good defenses so your over reaching.

• kaspercasey gilbert, AZ
    Feb. 17, 2013 8:38 a.m.

I thought Ben Cahoon was very good as the receivers coach the last two years. I think not bringing him back has everything to do with recruiting. BYU thinks that Guy Holliday can help recruit; Texas, non LDS athletes, and african american athletes better than they have over the past 8 years. That will be a lot of pressure on him when it comes to recruiting season but I hope he succeeds. BYU obviously needs help recruiting those areas.

As far as no bringing Brandon Doman back as the QB’s coach, it makes sense to not want to bring back the OC who replaced you (for coach Anae). It sounds like all of the QB’s under Jason Beck have done very well. I’m sure he will be a very good coach.

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    Feb. 17, 2013 3:48 a.m.

Guys, here's what I am saying. Forget speculation (agreeing with me or not) on who wanted Riley as the QB (Bronco, Doman, or both of them) and just look at who has the job title to make final decisions on personel. The HEAD COACH (is who).

Now, I am not trying to focus on all the reasons why Bronco allowed Riley to stay at the healm (if he thought Riley was a leader, loved the guy, thought he gave the team the best chance to win, or whatever else). I am just saying he was allowed to stay the pilot. If Doman wanted that as well, or independently, it shouldn't take accountability away from Bronco. Doman may have wanted that, I just don't think he did. Either way, Bronco should have saved him from himself there.

If Doman wanted Lark on the other hand, or someone else in there, then he got fired for Bronco's call. That is not known to me. I just feel bad for Doman (even as a Ute fan who almost came to blows with Brandon's brother in 1995) because there were no plays that could work for the offense as constructed.

• panamadesnews Lindon, UT
    Feb. 17, 2013 2:23 a.m.

Two things BYU will not do: (1) Let someone go when they still have a contract - it is the principle of honoring a contract, and (2) Pay off a coach (their lost salary for the year or years left on their contract). If Bronco goes, it will be after this year (this is the last year of his contract) or after the next contract is completed. We will know if a HC change will be made after this year - or perhaps before this year is over, if his contract is extended. Let's be patiant and wait until the end of this season. I do not think any coach can do more with a defense than Bronco has done with BYU's defense. Yes, he is a great defensive coach and the defense is the heart of a team. With the hire of Anae, I feel the offense is in good hands. BYU is in for a great year this year. I think we're all going to be pleasantly surprised.

• sky2k1 Provo, UT
    Feb. 16, 2013 11:41 p.m.

If Chris B. is bringing up someone who hasn't won a championship since the 80's, can I start pulling out our championship from the 80's? I mean it's only fair right?

@UteJunky70 - I'll agree our defense was overrated to a degree, but the defensive TD's you brought up from your game and the BSU game wasn't because those defenses were so much better than ours. We just had a horrible offense. At least BSU had to have skill to get their turnover for a score. A bad, early, and low snap doesn't prove anything about your defensive ability. It just proves how pathetic we were on offense last year. So I'll meet you halfway -- BYU's d was overrated, but BSU and the U's defenses did not dominate BYU in those games, and were not better than BYU's d overall.

• U 90 Corona, CA
    Feb. 16, 2013 11:33 p.m.

@ RAW "Ummm BYU's defense was ranked 3rd overall in 2012"

Consider the competition

• The Deuce Livermore, CA
    Feb. 16, 2013 10:44 p.m.

To: The Cucamongan, Rancho Cucamonga, CA - the systems was broken on the offensive side of the ball. It started with the Head Coach and continued through the Offensive Coordinator. If BYU was really serious about their football program, both of these individuals would be gone. It was poor decisions one after another by the Head Coach and OC that resulted in key losses all year. The BYU AD promised changes and all I see is window dressing. If this is "big business" then make the hard moves and let's get going in a different direction. Anything else is alot of talk.

• OCoug Ogden, UT
    Feb. 16, 2013 9:43 p.m.

Won't know how these hires pan out until the Cougars are well into the season.

Riley Nelson and the Coug offense made a lot of defenses look good. So if we're comparing defenses and the type of talent they were up against, those teams whose defense "supposedly" outplayed the Y's defense were definitely playing against inferior offensive talent when playing the Y. BYU's defense was the sole reason they even went to and won a bowl game.

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    Feb. 16, 2013 6:20 p.m.

" .... Some national programs hire national title coaches as assistants ... "

And some hire 25 year old rookie OC's like Brian Johnson. crickets, crickets.

• R.A.W St George, Utah
    Feb. 16, 2013 4:47 p.m.

Utejunk 70

Ummm BYU's defense was ranked 3rd overall in 2012. And that was with 5 top 25 opponents on the schedule. Not one of the teams you mentioned played as many. Pretty sure the defense was legit.
    And your logic is extremely flawed. Utah, Oregon St., and Boise were all handed Turnovers and TD's, compliments of Riley Nelson. BYU's defense was consistently playing with their backs to the wall due to poor offensive production. And we lost 3 of the games you mentioned by a total of 7pts. And against Oregon st. The score was 24-28 with 5 minutes left in the game before Riley threw a pick six.
    Bottom line, the defense was the bright spot of a disappointing 2012 campaign. And was the only reason BYU had a winning season.

• Wiscougarfan River Falls, WI
    Feb. 16, 2013 4:11 p.m.

Look like two solid hires. Admittedly I know very little about assistant coaches anywhere so I don't know how these two stack up. However, I don't understand why other posters are bagging on BYU for hiring coaches from Simon Fraser and UTEP (who also coached at Mississippi State and LSU). After all one of the best coaches in college football first coached at Bowling Green and Utah before he finally made it big. If a coach can be successful after Utah, one certainly can be successful after UTEP.

• UteJunky70 midvale, UT
    Feb. 16, 2013 3:54 p.m.

I'm beginning to get a little bit weary of all the talk about how dominant BYU's defense was last year. In the only 4 games that mattered last year BYU's defense was outplayed by the oppositions defense.

They were outplayed by my UTE defense. We generated 3 TO's and our defensive TD was the difference in the game.

They were outplayed by Boise States defense. The Boise defense generated 5 TO's in that game and there defensive TD was the difference in that game.

Guess how many TO's the vaunted BYU defense generated in those 2 games combined? Zero, Nix, Nada.

Notre Dames defense outplayed BYU's in a close low scoring game and again created more TO's then the Cougs.

And that great Cougar D allowed OSU to put up 42 points on them. The same OSU offense that my UTES held to 21 pts. and 227 total yards.
    BYU's defensive stats are misleading based on some of the terrible offenses they faced. Don't get me wrong the Cougs had a very good defense last year but its not like they were the 85 Chicago Bears. A little perspective please.

• UteJunky70 midvale, UT
    Feb. 16, 2013 3:36 p.m.

He may have been in over his head a little bit as OC but at the end of day isn't that just as much the head coaches fault as it is Domans. The parallels between Domans situation and Brian Johnsons are striking. And I have been highly critical of coach Whitt for giving Johnson too much too soon. But at least you can believe coach Whitt when he speaks of Johnsons potential and promise as a coach. All of Broncos praise that he heaped on Doman seems like lip service now . I never understood the lack of forthrightness and honesty that seems to permeate Broncos program. They like to spin things down there. Which is just another thing our two programs have in common.

Good luck in your future endeavors Mr. Brandon Doman.

• CanuckFan Vancouver, BC
    Feb. 16, 2013 3:08 p.m.

Re: Cahoon

I'm a big fan of his (watched him for years as a player since I'm in Canada and watch the CFL), but please do NOT confuse playing ability with the ability to coach. They are not likely strongly correlated from a statistical perspective. Same with Ty Detmer. As much as some of us/you like someone as a player, it does not mean they are the right fit as a coach.

Conversely, just because Jason Beck was not a star quarterback, does not mean he has not developed into an excellent coach (I'm a Simon Fraser University graduate - located just outside Vancouver, BC - the only Canadian university to be part of a U.S. football program)

• NevadaCoug Overton, NV
    Feb. 16, 2013 11:34 a.m.

"Underwhelmed. I heard there was due diligence on Ty Detmer. Would some D-News reporter care to tell us why he wasn't hired??"

Ty Detmer wasn't hired because he enjoys living in Texas and doesn't want to leave. Reading between the lines, I think it's pretty obvious he doesn't want to coach college football. If he did, he would already have a job somewhere.

Those expecting "bigger names" for position coaches: really? If they were bigger names, they wouldn't be coming to BYU, or really any university, just to be a position coach. Big names go somewhere to be an O or D coordinator, or even a head coach. Everybody has to start somewhere.

• eastcoastcoug Danbury, CT
    Feb. 16, 2013 11:28 a.m.

Really? Coaches from Simon Fraser and UTEP?? I always warn fellow fans when they start calling for coach's heads that it could be worse. I hope I'm wrong here...

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Feb. 16, 2013 11:18 a.m.

Quick, wihtout googling one of you experts tell me the names of the qb coaches at Alabama, Oregon, Notre Dame, and Florida St.

Next tell me the names of the wr coaches at Standford, Texas, West Virginia, and Miami.

Can't do it huh? Not even one of them huh?

Yea "big names" are position coaches all over the place other than BYU.

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    Feb. 16, 2013 10:43 a.m.

Sounds like Holliday has a pretty decent résumé. Beck, not so much. But turning a small school's offense from last to first in one year shows 2 things: 1--having a coach who knows what he is doing can make a huge impact on a team, despite the level of talent among the players, and 2--Beck seems to have an aptitude as an OC.

As I have said before, I was not happy about the re-hire of Anae, but I am hopeful that he is now more educated and experienced, and with this staff, will bring this offense up several notches.

With the right coach and barring injury, I am very convinced Taysom Hill can be one of the great QB's of BYU.

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    Feb. 16, 2013 10:38 a.m.

These guys have deeper resumes than did Doman and Cahoon.
    They hopefully will not be as green as the former guys.

• Striker Omaha, NE
    Feb. 16, 2013 10:09 a.m.

What we all know is our WRs were not being used well at all. There was for sure a problem offensively, we all know that. Change is usually needed when things are consistently poor. Look at how the defense changed when Bronco got rid of Hill and took over the defense. Not sure about Beck, but I'm so glad we have an experience WR coach now. The other coach was a great WR, but possibly just didn't have the coaching experience needed. Now BYU has that, so I expect our VERY talented WRs to make a huge impact and hopefully BYU will be the passing offense Anae had them before, and in BYU's amazing passing history.

• phoenix Gilbert, AZ
    Feb. 16, 2013 9:55 a.m.

Words to describe Anae's Offensive Coaching Staff: experienced, tough, physical, poised passionate, fast, and hard.

I'm looking forward to seeing an offense to match last season's BYU defense emerging under the tutelage of Anae and his staff.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 16, 2013 9:48 a.m.

Some national programs hire national title coaches as assistants

Other WAC regional programs hire from Simon Frazier and utep.

Just different approaches.

• HawkAlum SANDY, UT
    Feb. 16, 2013 9:20 a.m.

gdog

He shouldn't have even been calling plays for an injured Riley. A fully capable lark sat on the sidelines drinking Gatorade while Nelson tossed around his signature duck balls with a broken back scoring points for the other team. The most important thing a coach can have is good judgment. Doman was a casualty of his own decisions.

• Howard S. Taylorsville, UT
    Feb. 16, 2013 9:09 a.m.

Nice...

On the offensive side to the ball BYU will face its toughest schedule ever with 3 coaches who have never coached a down of D1 football... one of those how has never coached ever.

What would possibly go wrong with that?

• Jim1027 St. George, UT
    Feb. 16, 2013 8:59 a.m.

It's no mistake that Van Noy and Hoffman are returning. I'm sure they were assured that there would be a better offense this year. Imagine how this will be with a great defense and a great offense, with each group urging the other, up and up, and up!

I feel we can keep the other team's scores down and be in every game this year. Then, with a few more touchdowns...it's going to be exciting!

• dbrbmw Orem, UT
    Feb. 16, 2013 8:47 a.m.

might be good hires but so was cahoon. let's see how long this lasts.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Feb. 16, 2013 8:30 a.m.

cont.

what evidence do we have to support the problematic line play? Besides the results, the deterioration of Reynolds draftability, lack of others recieving any recognition at all, etc.

So it may be splitting hairs, but Brandon did the best he could, playing 6 on 11.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Feb. 16, 2013 8:26 a.m.

gdog3finally
    West Jordan, Utah

I have grown to appreciate your respectful and balanced view points from "the loyal opposition." I believe your assesment is off. I think our assesments and opinions, if not smack talk, need to stand up to examination from several perspectives. For example:

I beleive Bronco to be a man of honor, wanting success for his team. Others who think he surrounds himself with inferior talent to look better are crazy. I think we can agree on that. The theory that he allowed a "man crush" on Riley to cloud his judgement is at least possible, but equally unlikely.

So I, at least, start with the propostition that somehow, Bronco honestly beleived Riley was the best chance to win.

How can that be? I think only if and because the line play had deteriorated so badly.

• Stgeorgebyu St. Georg, UT
    Feb. 16, 2013 8:18 a.m.

gdog3finally; I like Doman too and Riley as well, but Doman created the problem with Riley. I know a lot of people thought it was Bronco's love affair with Riley but Doman pushed Bronco to those decisions. So if Doman had no plays to call he had only himself to blame, oh and a poorly coached o-line.

• Trickeration Cedar Hills, UT
    Feb. 16, 2013 8:09 a.m.

I went to high school with Cahoon so maybe I am biased. Besides being a great guy, the dude was born to play receiver. Look at his wiki page, he has been nothing but extraordinary at receiver since high school. Have you seen his career stats?! The guy was arguably the best receiver to ever play in the CFL and Bronco lets him go and lets Anae hire this new guy know one has ever heard of??? There is no way that anyone knows more about the receiver position and getting the most out of your abilities than Cahoon-which at BYU is huge as we seem to be the Kings of signing the two star athlete. I'm seriously wondering if Bronco knows what he is doing. We bring back Robert Anae?? It's laughable. They are going the wrong direction. The only solace I can take is how horrible the Yewts are in all their sports.

• TheFork Spanish Fork, UT
    Feb. 16, 2013 8:04 a.m.

If Beck's coaching ability is a great as his character, we are in for a treat. It was impressive that when he was a senior back-up to John Beck, he volunteered to step down so that Max Hall could be the backup and gain more experience. No ego here.

• eastcoastcoug Danbury, CT
    Feb. 16, 2013 8:01 a.m.

• The Cucamongan Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    Feb. 16, 2013 7:48 a.m.

Let's not forget. The system was broken on the offensive side of the ball, especially the O-line. Change was needed, no matter how painful it is. BYU football is big business, just like any business. It is results driven. Hopefully, Doman, Cahoon, and Dupaix land on their feet somewhere. The bottom line - they did not get the job done. I really like the hire of Guy Holliday. Not sure about Jason Beck. All of us need to remember that some of the greatest coaches ever were never outstanding players on the field, they were students of the game on the bench.

• Proud Ute ,
    Feb. 16, 2013 7:46 a.m.

GoodGuyGary

Houston, TX

Where is Brandon Doman?

Start looking under the buses around happy valley.
    Regardless of how you felt about the job he did, that was just a poor way to treat a legacy besides being just plain weird.
    Good luck to the new guys. Given the fickle history of tds, I'm sure they'll soon be looking over their shoulders too.

• thebigsamoan Richmond, VA
    Feb. 16, 2013 5:42 a.m.

It's too early to make an assessment but I'm still nervous about the future. Not exactly the kind of marquee names that would make a recruit excited to jump at the chance to come play at BYU but we'll see. I'm dying for this program to start winning and do it on a consistent basis, especially against top competition. I'm tired of the incessant ridicule and abuse from those who loathe and hate everything BYU. I know, I know. Nothing probably will make them stop but at least winning will render their vile and venomous rantings moot and meaningless.

In regard to Doman, why the silence on his whereabouts, Bronco? You spoke so highly of the man before and now he's been discarded with nada a word? Hope he's not bitter. I also wish him well wherever his future leads him. I feel bad for him and all the other guys that were let go. I'm sorry things didn't work out because they were all fine men who tried their best. I wish them all the best!

Go Cougars!!!

• USNGary South Jordan, UT
    Feb. 16, 2013 12:40 a.m.

According to Doman on the local sports talk radio he wanted to stay ay BYU but bronco announced on dining day it was a mutual decision to leave. Didn't sound that way from Doman

• BlueCoug Orem, UT
    Feb. 15, 2013 10:58 p.m.

I'll miss Doman, Cahoon, and DuPaix, but I believe that Anae has assembled an excellent offensive staff and BYU's offense will be vastly improved next season.

Good luck in the coming season Cougars!

• panamadesnews Lindon, UT
    Feb. 15, 2013 10:21 p.m.

If they are as good coaching as their stats as reported in this article indicate, it looks very good. I wish them and team well this coming year. Hopefully, injuries will not plague the team this year. If the team escapes spring practice without losing players to injuries, BYU should perform very well. Good luck, guys. Looking forward to a great year.

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    Feb. 15, 2013 10:19 p.m.

It seems these new assistants are not the quality of Cahoon or Dupaix but what is important is how they work with and for Anae. For the latter (Anae) is the main hire and addition to the coaching staff replacing Doman.

The move to Anae should be exciting for the same Cougar fans that wished him gone a few years back. But I still feel bad for Doman though nonetheless. I mean the offense was awful under him but what plays was he supposed to call for Riley Nelson? The limitations at the QB position was a huge disadvantage for an OC. I am not trying to bag on Nelson, I like the kid and thought there was a place for him on the field, just NOT at QB.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Feb. 15, 2013 9:47 p.m.

It is interesting that nobody ever gave an official announcement about Doman. Did he resign? Was he let go? Will he stay at BYU in some other capacity? Harmon reported that he cleaned out his office and then there was silence.

Like the others, I don't know much about either coach. Earlier in the day, another media outlet reported that it would be Beck and Clark. Oops.

As one of many fans who knew we needed change on the O side of the ball, I guess we got our wish. Hopefully we will be happy with the results in 2013. I'm not expecting 50 points a game next year, but I am hoping for 4 more points against Utah and Notre Dame and 2 more points against Boise State.

• Black&Blue St George, Utah
    Feb. 15, 2013 9:33 p.m.

Both sound like great hires. Hopefully they come to Provo hungry and driven to take this program to the next level. Big name coaches are great, but every big name coach has to start somewhere. If this coaching staff can develop some consistency and chemistry along with an effective and efficient offensive system to compliment the strong defense. The BYU brand could go from good to great. Either way, I am excited to see what the staff puts on the field August 31st.

• GoodGuyGary Houston, TX
    Feb. 15, 2013 9:02 p.m.

Where is Brandon Doman?

• So. Cal Reader San Diego, CA
    Feb. 15, 2013 8:39 p.m.

Simon Fraser University? Um. Where is it located at? I trust/hope these are good hires. Only time will tell, but at least the background of both doesn't illicit a great deal of excitement from me. These are the two best candidates who applied for the positions? Hmmm.

• Cougar on The Hill Midvale, UT
    Feb. 15, 2013 8:03 p.m.

I'm Glad those positions were filled. Still a little upset that Cahoon had to leave BYU, but I know Bronco and Robert have the best interests of BYU football moving forward

• Wayne Rout El Paso, TX
    Feb. 15, 2013 7:38 p.m.

Sounds good...hope it is good.