Sports

Utah Utes basketball: Runnin' Utes fall in close game to No. 19 Oregon, 73-64

Comments

• moderateinmagna MAGNA, UT
    Feb. 10, 2013 2:49 p.m.

How can they still call themselves the RUNNING UTES more like the stalling utes because there sure wasn,t much running from them in that game just stall tactics they looked like the UTEP of old with Don Haskins as coach i thought the game was called basketball not stall ball.

• indycrimson Franklin, IN
    Feb. 10, 2013 1:54 a.m.

Two and Vet...
    Agree with you both. Offensive boards and losing one hot hand is enough to break this fragile/improving team. A strong, go to shooter is needed, but rebounding is a 5 man project.

Chris...well said my man! Looking forward each week to tough opponents is awesome. AZ and ASU coming in this week! Week in and week out...tough competition makes you better.

I'll accept the loses as long as improvements are made each week. Now, if I had to go into every weekend knowing we were playing JC's and worrying about embarrassing ourselves I would hate it. Something to be said about playing pac12 type teams.

Keep improving Utes!

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Feb. 9, 2013 11:25 p.m.

The biggest positive I took from the game is that the team is losing its dependence on its seniors. Dakarai Tucker played some great minutes tonight and didn't back down from Oregon's bigs shoving him after plays were over. I don't think Justin Seymour played tonight, but his minutes have been increasing lately. Brandon Taylor played another great game, especially defensively, in his second start.

• Qwest Perfected Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 9, 2013 10:38 p.m.

I only got to see the second half but I was surprised to see Utah keep it that close to be honest. I thought the Utes were going to be blown out tonight but they played tough.

I don't think the loss can be pinned on Loveridge - he had a great first half and Oregon made adjustments for the second half. The Utes had a couple stretches in the second half that they didn't score and gave them some easy baskets off of turnovers. They needed to call time outs or make some substitutions or something to shake it up when that happens. It seems like they had a chance in this game but they needed more guys to score to get it done.

I hope they can win a few more games during the second half of conference play. That will help the confidence of our young guys and the rest of the team returning for next year.

Go Utes! And thank you San Francisco - that was a great win for another team under 500.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 9, 2013 9:50 p.m.

Losing in a very close game against a top 25 respected Conference of Champion team on the road is not ideal, but respectable.

Losing at home against a San Francisco Community College, member of the Weak Coast Conference team by over 10? Embarassing.

After watching byu go like 2-20 betwen basketball and football against noteworthy opponents the past couple years, the big winner in the conference realignment is the big 12, for having NOT invited byu.

I'm convinced the next team to make the big dance, will be the University of Utah, under the direction of Coach K.

We're inconsistent, but have proven we do have the talent and coaching to compete with anyone in the nation.

That shows we DO have reason to be very optimistic we'll rejoin our rightful place in the top 25 within a couple years.

Go Utes!

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 9, 2013 9:39 p.m.

@ Naval Vet

I agree, but this one was winnable if those two things fell into place.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    Feb. 9, 2013 9:18 p.m.

Two For Flinching:

AND because we're a terrible team. And young. But that should all change in about a year or so.

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 9, 2013 8:59 p.m.

Utah lost for two reasons: Getting dominated on the glass and Loveridge disappearing in the second half.