Utah

When and why Barnes & Noble will close one-third of its stores

Comments

• SLC gal Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 8, 2013 8:57 a.m.

I'm not sure physical books will be completely eliminated any time soon, but e-readers have definately changed the market. In some ways this is a great thing. I've been able to find independent authors on my Kindle that just aren't sold at BN, and who's books I wouldn't have the pleasure of reading without. Only time will tell for sure. After all, landlines have yet to become a thing of the past, even though a large number of people use cell phones.

• Shimlau SAINT GEORGE, UT
    Feb. 7, 2013 6:04 p.m.

I have several books that are over 100 years old that belonged to my grandfather. they are a great read, he made comments in them, kept notes, and thoughts and it gives me an insight to his pesonality. maybe 100 years from now, my grandkids will pick up my nook and look at all of my notes in it about the books I read and loved? you all get my drift. BTW, don't let your credit card lapse that they have on file for your nook, if it does, all of those books that you bought vanish into the cyberspace that they came from.

• justired Fillmore, UT
    Feb. 7, 2013 4:47 p.m.

After spending most of the day looking at a computere screen, the last thing i want to do in the evening is stare into a Nook or Kindle fire. even my grandaughter, who is pretty tech savvy, buys real books.

everyone to their own tastes and needs, fortunately, we still have a choice. i bout an out-of-print used book recently from an amazon partner, for 1 cent, plus shipping.

• Hank Pym SLC, UT
    Feb. 7, 2013 4:46 p.m.

B & N is Nirvana on earth. There is nothing that recharges me like wandering around that store every so often.

My Kindle Fire is great but there is nothing like an actual book. The Prey series by Sanford & Sigma Force series by James Rollins come to mind.

• River Dog Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 7, 2013 4:08 p.m.

Why would I spend $29.95 on a paperback or hardback book when I can buy the same one for my Nook for $12.95or less?

• Clarissa Layton, UT
    Feb. 7, 2013 1:18 p.m.

I quit buying regular books. I only buy ebooks. Why? Because I have Multiple Sclerosis and I can change the text size so it is easier to read. I also donated almost all of my books to Deseret Industries. My house is small and I am putting everying on my Nook. Nevertheless, I hate to lose book stores. I hope some survive.

• Bloodhound Provo, UT
    Feb. 7, 2013 12:41 p.m.

So they want to shut down the printing presses and the bookstores. I suppose it's no big deal. We'll only lose a few more million jobs. However, Communist China, the manufacturer of all those e-readers will profit. Another great idea.

• thebig1 SLC, UT