Big changes announced for Brigham Young University campus

• Juan Figuroa Seattle, WA
    Feb. 9, 2013 2:42 p.m.

Note, too, that BYU was an institution long before ANY of the present-day neighbors arrived. You moved to Provo knowing what you were living alongside. If you don't like the University exercising its property rights in a way that inconveniences you, you're free to leave. The school isn't going to move to simplify your life.

• Juan Figuroa Seattle, WA
    Feb. 9, 2013 2:38 p.m.

Good for BYU. If I had neighbors using my driveway as a thruway, I'd block it off, too. Nobody should be on Campus Drive who doesn't have business with the school. If you're not student, staff, or a visitor with a legitimate purpose, you don't belong on campus. There've been too many accidents -- some of them fatal -- on that road. Pedestrians deserve safe passage.

• CWEB Orem, UT
    Feb. 8, 2013 10:05 a.m.

to EastCoastcoug:

I lived in Monroe/Trumble for several years in Ct. Traffic not a problem there! Freeways every which way, and quiet country roads all over...9th East is a nightmare now...these changes need to be open and honest. They are talking about 9th East having to be considered, but so far the public have not been informed nor updated. Communication friend, it is sorely lacking at BYU and Provo...remember they were going to turn the entire south of campus into no roads and walking areas? That idea died when the reality of the nightmare traffic was taken into account.

• SundanceKid27 OREM, UT
    Feb. 7, 2013 5:20 p.m.

I will propose to Provo City to discontinue all roads going to BYU by 50 feet.

• fresnogirl Fresno, CA
    Feb. 7, 2013 2:24 p.m.

I'm with eastcoastcoug on this one. Unless something has changed drastically since I moved away 6 years ago.... which I have not seen on my visits back .... the only actual bad traffic on 9th East is following football and basketball games. Plus, since students have to live within a certain radius of campus, walking (in a wonderfully walkable town) to campus is not a big deal. I lived for 4 years as an undergrad without a car.

Since I first moved to Provo in 1990, BYU has been constantly changing the campus. It has always resulted in a more beautiful campus. The improvement of the campus, improves the city.

Also, Fresno State does not have roads through it. So, this is not an odd thing for BYU to do.

• Madden Herriman, UT
    Feb. 7, 2013 2:19 p.m.

I think many people misunderstand - BYU owns this road and various others around campus, they are not public roads. BYU allows public access to it most of the year (they actually shut it down once a year, usually on Christmas day, simply to ensure it cannot be claimed as a public road).

I admit, change is hard, especially if you are an impacted neighbor, but my impression is that BYU is a boon to the town. Most people living next to campus choose to do so because of campus, not in spite of it, and with that choice comes some discomfort at times. We all deal with it in our own neighborhoods. It sounds like some re-work of surrounding roads is certainly in order.

• Twin Lights Louisville, KY
    Feb. 7, 2013 1:24 p.m.

True of students at any campus I have ever visited anywhere.

• cfe Springville, UT
    Feb. 7, 2013 11:25 a.m.

Closing Campus Drive to through traffic will force many more cars onto 700 and 800 north that skirt the south end of campus. Like 900 East these roads are already dangerous places for pedestrians. The proposed changes will certainly make the BYU campus more beautiful and pedestrian friendly, but it will increase the danger to pedestrians and bikers (including me)who approach BYU from the south. The proposed plan should address these needs with assurances that Provo City will install traffic lights or bridges at pedestrian crossing on 700 and 800 north between 100 and 700 East. Maybe BYU could donate the soon-to-be-demolished pedestrian bridge that leads to the law school!

• SLC gal Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 7, 2013 11:17 a.m.

We have an inversion and a plan that could help reduce emissions by eliminating driving is being scoffed at? Typical Provo thinking.

The U has a shuttle. Just saying....

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Feb. 7, 2013 10:38 a.m.

The campus is our world and we simply love it here.

• Western Rover Herriman, UT
    Feb. 7, 2013 9:55 a.m.

Even though I graduated from, and still root for the U., I support the right of BYU to do what they want with their campus, without regard to the demands of neighbors who bought their houses well after BYU was established, and who enjoy high property values and thriving nearby businesses because of BYU's presence. (I used to live in a house within earshot of The Palace, so I'm familiar with the area.)

• EnosEugenius Shenandoah, IA
    Feb. 7, 2013 9:32 a.m.

As someone who HASN'T lived in Utah their whole life (like most of the complainers), I wholeheartedly concur. The residents in Utah cities are so used to their well-planned, well-regulated roads that they can't understand the concept of real traffic. When I went to BYU, I delivered pizzas, so I can attest to the "traffic." Now, compare Provo to Los Angeles, or Chicago, or Boston, or DC -- or even Omaha, where traffic isn't really that bad -- get out of Utah and see the world -- and you'll see what REAL traffic is like. The primary duty of the BYU administrators is the safety and well-being of their students and visitors, and secondary, to the surrounding community. I'm sorry that you can't cut through campus anymore (which is PRIVATE PROPERTY). If you've seen other campuses, like the U of Iowa, some are scattered all around the city; it's horrible. And if my children attend the school, I'm glad that the Y is genuinely concerned with their safety. Ditto on the higher property values, demand for services, etc; you can't have your cake and eat it, too.

• LindonMan Lindon, UT
    Feb. 7, 2013 9:04 a.m.

Some of the people putting negative comments on this board really need a hobby. Seriously people, BYU is going to do what is best for their campus and students. If you don't like it, DON'T GO THERE!

• Whoa Nellie American Fork, UT
    Feb. 7, 2013 8:43 a.m.

Interesting how a couple people purportedly from Orem, who live nowhere near BYU, and some dude or dudette from Cache Valley who doesn't have a dog in this fight, feel the need to complain or vent on a matter in which they have no voice or interest. BYU will do what is best for its campus and students. Some of us may get to benefit from their decisions. Just sayin'.

• happymomto9 Saratoga Springs, UT
    Feb. 7, 2013 7:34 a.m.

when are they going to teach a class on pedestrian etiquette?
    byu students act like they own the roads on and around campus.

• eastcoastcoug Danbury, CT
    Feb. 7, 2013 7:33 a.m.

My kids go to BYU and I have tons of family living there, including just off 9th East where the traffic would be impacted by this change. Chill a little.

I just crack up hearing you all act like you have such major traffic issues. I've driven down 9th East during "Rush Hour" and it's maybe a few extra minutes at each light. At least you have 4 driving lanes and turning lanes. I guess if you grow up in Provo and see the incremental change it is a big deal. For those of us in or near cities with real traffic problems, we can't understand the fuss. You are welcome to come here and help us out with your ideas on our traffic. I think you will gain an appreciation for how good you have it.

I just think it's silly to act like BYU is acting purely out of selfish interests (which they have a right to do) and have an obligation to provide a thru way for Provo City traffic. I don't want my kids or elderly parents (who frequent the campus) run down by some late-to-work commuter cutting through.

• rph Dulles, VA
    Feb. 7, 2013 7:25 a.m.

You read it . . . and commented on it.

• Dennis Harwich, MA
    Feb. 7, 2013 5:58 a.m.

Putting a couple of "roundabouts" on campus is "BIG" news. And someone took the time to actually write this story?

• CWEB Orem, UT
    Feb. 7, 2013 1:24 a.m.

I love how those who live "somewhere else, and do not have to work, drive and digest this place love to comment on how we should not voice our concerns. Especially Mr. Danbury CT, who is surrounded by freeways, and who also enjoys no bill boards because they outlawed them. Mr CT, how about you let Provoans legislate your city?

• Mike Rose Provo, UT
    Feb. 6, 2013 11:22 p.m.

UTA tried to buy Campus Drive for their Bus Rapid Transit(BRT). BYU refused. My guess is that someone in UTA threatened eminent domain, to which BYU told UTA to get lost, and BYU started this plan to close Campus Drive.

These roads around campus will need to be widened for additional lanes quicker then originally planned.
    -9th east from Uni. Parkway to State Street UTA proably won't get exclusive right of way for their BRT anymore)
    -University Parkway
    -University Avenues
    -22nd North
    -8th North
    -7th North
    -Center Street may be restriped to its previous 4 lanes.
    -Possibly extend Canyon Road to 8th North

All of theses projects which are accelerated by closing Campus Drive will probably cost
    $100 - 200 million which will be paid for by taxpayers in Provo, Utah County, and the state of Utah for state roads. Perhaps BYU grew tired of Campus Drive being used as an arterial highway for Provo with all the resulting accidents and fatalities, and other maintenance costs. This plan will certainly move those off campus onto the neighboring arterials and residential streets.

• Lermentov PROVO, UT
    Feb. 6, 2013 11:09 p.m.

Two thoughts:

I was chagrined when I first saw the plan. It kind of split commuters to campus into two halves on the east and west of campus. But then I walked down from the Harmon Building (about 700 E. University Parkway) to the Wilkinson Center in just nine minutes! That means most of the main campus will be accessible in five minutes or even less. Not bad really for the beauty it will create.

Still, there are no cross walks or ways to cross University Parkway between the Marriott Center and 900 E. It is already dangerous and will become more so for pedestrians and cars trying to cross the road.. And the intersection at 900 E. and University Parkway will need a major rethink. It already gets jammed (especially turning left from Univ. Parkway to 900 E.) big time during peak times. The city engineers better get busy figuring it out, because it will be a mess.

• Heidi T. Farmington, Utah
    Feb. 6, 2013 9:20 p.m.

I doubt BYU planning professionals and the General Authorities take time in their day to "do whatever they can do to make the lives of the residents who live here more difficult they will do it." Really? They aren't good neighbors? Maybe residents who don't like living in a college town could move to a more valuable, isolated property.

• agarrett PROVO, UT
    Feb. 6, 2013 9:10 p.m.

Boo!! Worst idea ever! How can they close down Campus Drive? 9th East is congested enough. Not to mention the UTA bus route that will have to be completely changed. Why does BYU think walking everywhere is what people want?! Newsflash: We don't want to walk places! We want to be able to drive up next to the buildings, get out of our cars, and go directly inside. We already have to walk far enough! They should be building more roads, not closing the few ones we have down.

• dfacer Provo, UT
    Feb. 6, 2013 8:48 p.m.

Those of us who live east of BYU campus are increasingly sequestered by the University's non-porous traffic strategy. As Provo residents, that means that we increasingly foot the bill for BYU's traffic and congestion. Our city representatives must be asleep at the switch.

• Shaden Lincoln, NE
    Feb. 6, 2013 8:23 p.m.

This is exciting. I work on BYU campus and I am excited about their efforts to constantly improve the campus and beautify it. These will be nice changes.

• SundanceKid27 OREM, UT
    Feb. 6, 2013 7:47 p.m.

While at BYU I was dangered more by the campus trucks that drive on campus than any of the bikes or cars that commute around it.

• DEW Cougars Sandy, UT
    Feb. 6, 2013 7:43 p.m.

why not underground traffice to only pedestrians which would be less people at current above ground location which would make sense and less expensive. I hardly see very many people go over the sky bridge unless they are all law students, so yes take it down. Many students travel through Wilkensen Center from weather and it would do good to have undergrand pedestrians traffic. This is too expensive.

• From Ted's Head Orem, UT
    Feb. 6, 2013 7:40 p.m.

I love those old pics of the BYU campus when there are no houses to be seen for quite a distance. Those who own homes near BYU likely enjoy a higher market value due to its proximity. Change is a constant (Deseret Towers???) and there should be little surprise when it occurs. However, NIMBY is a real issue and there will always be those who complain about anything they perceive to have a negative impact on them. Fortunately, boards like this exist to provide the complainers a place to vent...which is what I am doing about those folks who are complaining about BYU. So there!

• eastcoastcoug Danbury, CT
    Feb. 6, 2013 7:35 p.m.

We have two entities here: BYU campus and Provo City. BYU is not obligated to provide a high-speed thru-way for commuters. That's the point of the project - make people slow down or go around the campus so students and visitors can walk places more safely. Europe shut down major parts of its city centers and created pedestrian zones. It increased foot traffic and made those places more liveable. It's not all about the cars, people. Go look at most campuses around the country and they do the same.

My kids go to BYU and we visit throughout the year. I'm pleased to see more consideration for pedestrians. My loyalty is not based, however, on traffic patterns. I love the place for how well it lives up to its mission. I will never change that.

• caleb in new york Glen Cove, NY
    Feb. 6, 2013 7:13 p.m.

without BYU, Provo has a lot less going for it, so although its smart for BYU to consider how their changes effect the outlying community it would be silly for them to elevate the opinions of a few vocal opponents up to be a primary consideration.

• CWEB Orem, UT
    Feb. 6, 2013 7:03 p.m.

Not sure how 9th East isn't going to become MUCH more of a nightmare...it already is. I'd like to see some real details about what they are going to do to alleviate the 900 East problem, that already exists, before they route even more traffic around the neighborhoods there. I think the public deserves some input sometimes, and not just, "hey, guess what people...we're going to......" This is not how most cities work. What happens in the middle of campus, not a big concern, but when it affects public roads around campus, then, a different story. Can we get some insight before approvals and plans are set in concrete? They likely already are.

• SundanceKid27 OREM, UT
    Feb. 6, 2013 6:19 p.m.

BYU likes to find different ways to aggravate the residents that live permanently around it's campus. The church tries to be a good neighbor everywhere around the world except in Provo. Whatever they can do to make the lives of the residents who live here more difficult they will do it.

I went to BYU and it is harder to give my loyalty to a school that ignores the residents and the problems created by their decisions. They teach the principles of being a good neighbor but forget to practice those same principles.

• Aggielove Cache county, USA
    Feb. 6, 2013 6:18 p.m.

And drop the entrance GPA to 3.0

• Aggielove Cache county, USA
    Feb. 6, 2013 6:17 p.m.

Now lets build 3 more BYU's

• SundanceKid27 OREM, UT
    Feb. 6, 2013 6:06 p.m.

This new plan is a joke and does not accomplish what they say. Moving the main bus stop to 900 east makes students walk a lot farther. It also will create more congestion during football and basketball games and graduation.

This change will also frustrate a lot of residential people who use that road to get through BYU. This will not make BYU more popular.

BYU is becoming the neighbor that only thinks of themselves.