Utah

Homeowner arrested for firing shots in burglary of his house, police say

Comments

• NeilT Clearfield, UT
    Feb. 2, 2013 7:24 a.m.

The law is very clear on the use of deadly force. If you don't understand the concept then don't own a firearm. I commend the police for the courage to do the right thing. To many gunowners want to be a law unto themselves. I am not anti-gun. I am anti vigilanti justice. Just because are legal system is not perfect or you don't trust our government does not give you the right to be a judge, jury and executioner. He fired those shots in a residential area and could soemone with a stray bullit.

• cjb Bountiful, UT
    Feb. 1, 2013 4:01 p.m.

There ought to be a teat at the end of carry permit classes to drive home the point of when you can and when you can not shoot a gun. This test should be for learning purposes only. Meaning if you fail you get more chances until you get it. We're I on his jury I would let him go, because he now gets it and nothing bad happened.

• Joan Watson TWIN FALLS, ID
    Feb. 1, 2013 3:31 p.m.

If the article was read correctly - it seems that the home owner did not shoot to either maim or kill the robber who was running away - but rather fired his gun perhaps to stop the theif or to give him a bad scare? The homeowever may have ben caught up in the excitement of the moment - but he certainly was justifed in the excitement and the fact that his home had been violated. It's doubtful that thieves knowing this homeowner has a gun will target his house again!

• Obama10 SYRACUSE, UT
    Feb. 1, 2013 2:41 p.m.

As a CWP holder they covered this in class. You cannot shoot at someone if they are running away. You cannot shoot someone in the back. They are not a threat anymore if they are running away. As angry as he was, (and probably would have done society good by putting three dirt bags in the ground) you cannot run around the neighborhood shooting. What if he would have hit an innocent child outside playing when shooting in the field? The cops got this one right.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 1, 2013 2:30 p.m.

I'm with Bryan. Give this guy a medal or something. I just wish these criminals were no longer with us.

I wonder if we'll find out in a few days that ICE has put a hold on them. Pleae do your job Des News and keep us updated. I know where my money is.

• Leopard Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Feb. 1, 2013 1:40 p.m.

You've got to be kidding. Are we all suppose to be docile victims? What has happened to commonsense, or is this just some prosecutor getting in on the gun debate?

• Open Minded Mormon Everett, 00
    Feb. 1, 2013 1:10 p.m.

Bryan
    Syracuse, UT

VST
    Bountiful, UT

==========

Let me understand you correctly --
    You beleive it's OK for a guy caught breaking and entering (he never stole anything) can be tried, judged and executed?

Pulling the gun to scare the guy away is one thing --
    firing at people not threatening you is aggrevated assault and if he'd killed someone - nelgigent homicide.

...and you'd comened him for it?

• one old man Ogden, UT
    Feb. 1, 2013 12:29 p.m.

Yup.

Guns are sure the answer, aren't they?

Yup.

Good for the police. This won't be very popular in some circles. Let's hope they have enough backbone to stand up to the pressure that will come and do what's right in enforcing the law.

• Open Minded Mormon Everett, 00
    Feb. 1, 2013 12:27 p.m.

I know the homeowner was going to be arrested,
    I called it yesterday -- and here's the police statement to back me up...

"Deadly force can only be used in defense of yourself or others if you believe your life is in jeopardy or someone else's life is in jeopardy. And that's the point I guess we're trying to make is just because you own a gun doesn't mean that you are authorized to shoot at someone who doesn't pose serious bodily injury to you," he said.

Good thing he only had a hangun, and not an assault rifle.

• Bryan Syracuse, UT
    Feb. 1, 2013 12:26 p.m.

To me it sounds like Mr. Niederhauser should be commended for his actions, not arrested.