BYU football: BYU interested in son of former BYU great Tim McTyer

• wyoming cougar Green River, WY
    Feb. 4, 2013 5:40 p.m.

Tom in CA-
    15 mph north wind. That's a beautiful, calm day here in Wyoming. It's typically more like 30-40 mph winds- & you're correct about 10 degrees, although you need to factor in the wind chill.

Don't get me wrong- I love it in my corner of Wyoming, but wouldn't want to play football in Laramie.

Feb. 4, 2013 8:37 a.m.

Cedar Hills, UT

Cal won't take him academically but byU will? Impossible."

While I understand that a Ute grad's neck probably becomes sore from looking upward, the academic standards at Cal are even higher than they are at BYU...

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    Feb. 3, 2013 9:27 p.m.

Cougars1 - you are correct. DN gives Chris B a major pass. There is no freedom of speech unless you start your post as "Chris B".

Torry - if you like playing in 10 degrees, 15 mph north wind, and 4 inches of snow, then Wyoming is the perfect place for you.

Would love to have you in Provo if you decide to pass on the Cowboys.

• Cougars1 Bluffdale, UT
    Feb. 3, 2013 1:40 p.m.

I am convinced that Chris B. is the moderator or he/she works for the Dnews. He posts stuff that no one else could get away with posting.

• Rock75 Los Angeles , CA
    Feb. 3, 2013 8:55 a.m.

Torry was just offered to Wyoming. I hope BYU offers soon. Would be great.

• UteMiguel Go Utes, CA
    Feb. 2, 2013 11:13 p.m.

If BYU's 2013 schedule is indicative of future schedules, this kid would be crazy to choose Colorado St or Wyoming over BYU. Seems any highly competitive athlete should rather be competing against schools like Texas, Notre Dame, Wisconsin, etc., than the typical MWC schedule. Also, while I would not choose to live in Provo, it's got to be better than Laramie.

• IdahoCoog Malad City, ID
    Feb. 2, 2013 10:15 p.m.

Offer this Cougar... don't let someone else slip him out from under us. What are we waiting for? I will be sick if we finally offer him, and he says too late... I already committed.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Feb. 2, 2013 4:57 p.m.

Hes going to be so awesome I can just feel it.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Feb. 2, 2013 2:08 p.m.

Makes me wonder why BYU wasn't on him much earlier, like a year or two ago.

• GilmerTexasCougar Gilmer, TX
    Feb. 2, 2013 12:42 p.m.

I would be great to see fans post intelligent, non-hateful comments. I'm a BYU fan all the way. There is no good reason to say demeaning things about any university. Of course, if he can play like his father I certainly hope he comes to BYU.

• Whoa Nellie American Fork, UT
    Feb. 2, 2013 10:52 a.m.

Navel vet, don't worry about Rival's current ranking and his speed. If he comes to BYU those numbers will all be downgraded before the ink is dry on his LOI. We all know the validity of Rivals' rankings for any player who shows interest in BYU. About as valid as a White House press release.

• Rational Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 2, 2013 10:42 a.m.

Who Am I Sir?

A classy post...

• DEW Cougars Sandy, UT
    Feb. 2, 2013 9:28 a.m.

You think his dad would tell his son why bother going Wyo?

I understand that Torry dad would come back and go for Master Degree while he plays at BYU. Would love to have them both here.

My Cougar friends, why bother reading Chris B. nonsense stuff he posts, just don't read them or respond to him or is it her.

• Who am I sir? Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Feb. 2, 2013 9:18 a.m.

The ones I am most happy for are the cougar fans. For so many years it seemed like BYU recruiting was 90% done by June. And the only excitement in the last month or so was in getting two star recruits who had no other offers. (Two years ago they signed 5 in January that fit that profile) I felt the cougar fans missed the highs and lows that I loved in the last minute recruiting activity. (This year with four days to go I feel the Utes could lose two 3 star recruits and or gain a three star and a four star) Including this recruit, two mentioned in another article, and a rumored tweet the Y could add three three star recruits (and one more that only two of the 4 services had on their data base) Good Luck - and I hape the fans are enjoying the moment!

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    Feb. 2, 2013 8:39 a.m.

Your Football team was 5-7. (No Bowel).
    Your Basketball team is 9-11 (1-7 in the Pac)

Get back to us when the U can compete, in any sport.

• gchris rock springs, wy
    Feb. 2, 2013 7:49 a.m.

It would be interesting to know if Cal has any scholarship player in any sport who has a lower or the same entering GPA and SAT score than McTyer. I'll bet that their high academic standard fits best when it serves their recruitment needs.

• CougarBlue Heber City, UT
    Feb. 2, 2013 5:32 a.m.

Lots of childish, curlish comments on here today. What is in the water some are drinking.

Impressive change in academics. I can understand CAL and Standford as two examples, that say, yes, here is the minimum GPA, but we require a much high GPA.

As to Utah, what is their GPA requirement? Just barely meet the GPA, come here and be a bottom dweller in the PAC 10 + 2.

• Cougar Claws Lindon, UT
    Feb. 2, 2013 12:32 a.m.

Re: Naval Vet

He probably hasn't been in enough knife fights to apply to Utah either so that's probably why they aren't on his list.

I like his chances of BYU accepting him into the culture with athletes like Kyle Van Noy and Jordon Johnson on the defense, though.

• Billy Budd Saint George, UT
    Feb. 1, 2013 11:04 p.m.

Cal had a change at Head Coach after the season ended.
    Most fans would say and especially those who are now on the outside looking in would say it's not right to take away the scholarship, however, it's not unusual for a new staff to re-prioritize recruits.
    In this case, using potential academic performance as an excuse seems pretty weak.
    His tremendous improvement in academics is impressive.
    McTyer looks like he has the tools to help anyone.
    Good luck in finding the right fit.

• rlsintx Plano, TX
    Feb. 1, 2013 4:22 p.m.

Sounds like the kid is on a good vector, understands the LDS issues via dad's experience and wants a chance. Never underestimate the value of having someone hungry for a shot at something good; they often demonstrate tremendous focus in addressing their weaknesses and meeting expectations. Stars ? schmarzzz...

• panamadesnews Lindon, UT
    Feb. 1, 2013 3:43 p.m.

As indicated in the story, it may be that BYU had offerred all of their scholarships and is waiting to see if they are all accepted, or else they would have offerred when they found out he was available. I hopt they have one available for him. He looks like a great prospect. However it goes, good luck to you, Torry. We'd love to have you if it works out.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    Feb. 1, 2013 3:40 p.m.

McTyer is a 3-star ATH...and that's 1-star too many for the cougars. He also reportedly runs a 4.4 forty...which is too also too fast. He won't fit in with the Y's culture of slow-footed 2-star mediocrity. Besides, Rivals is listing him as having more interest in MWC schools like CSU, FSU, and Wyoming.

• BlueCoug Orem, UT
    Feb. 1, 2013 2:35 p.m.

Tim McTyer was a great player who played on one of the best BYU teams ever.

His son Torry looks like he was cut out of the same mold as his father and it would great to have him at BYU.

I hope things work out for him, so we can see Torry in a BYU uniform some day.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Feb. 1, 2013 2:14 p.m.

Cal education standards > BYU education standards > Utah education standards. I can live with that.

Yet another conundrum for Ute fans. He HAD an offer from Cal, a PAC whatever school, so he's THAT good, at least. I know, let's bag on him because he can't get into Cal.

Good luck, young man! You've worked like crazy both on the field and in the classroom. You thought you had done what you needed to to be able to play for Cal. Trust in the Lord, He can turn all things for your good. This is a good first step!

• Sports Are Great Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 1, 2013 1:56 p.m.

@Rushmore, spot on my friend. However the writing on the chalkboard likely would have been "I will not get caught with a DUI again" After the news reported that Blechen wasn't suspended from the team until he'd had "multiple" failed drug tests, it was apparent what Whittingham cares about.

• Mt Rushmore Arlington, VA
    Feb. 1, 2013 1:45 p.m.

utahcountyute's capitalization of "BYU" indicates that he would easily fit under that 2.5 GPA cap.

As for Van Noy's DUI, Bronco made KVN wait an entire year before allowing KVN to join the BYU football program.

Whittingham would have made him write three times on the blackboard "I will not DUI again" and then would have had him sit out of the first five minutes of fall camp.

• truecoug1 Provo, UT
    Feb. 1, 2013 1:34 p.m.

I am fully convinced, after reading Chris B's comments, that his sole purpose of being here is to remind us all why there is a terrestrial kingdom.

Go Cougars!

• Sports Are Great Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 1, 2013 1:33 p.m.

utahcounty, because he didnt want to. I simply said it was a requirement of the Ute football team. That doesn't mean its a law that everyone who has one is legally required to go to the U. He didnt want to go there. Any more questions that don't make sense?

• Aloha Saint George Saint George, Utah
    Feb. 1, 2013 1:33 p.m.

So if his grades can't get into Cal, why BYU?

• The Rock Federal Way, WA
    Feb. 1, 2013 1:22 p.m.

Chris B

There is nothing in the BYU honor code that prohibits girl friends. From reading your posts over the years it has become evident that by "Normal Girl Friend" you mean one who is willing to commit serious sins.

It is a very sad state of affairs when people consider immorality to be normal.

Please respect our standards even if you don't have any.

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    Feb. 1, 2013 1:18 p.m.

@Sports Are Great:

"You are making blanket statements that are not accurate, please be respectful of our beliefs as we are of yours."

• utahcountyute Cedar Hills, UT
    Feb. 1, 2013 1:13 p.m.

Why didn't Van Noy come to the U then?

• utahcountyute Cedar Hills, UT
    Feb. 1, 2013 12:43 p.m.

Cal won't take him academically but byU will? Impossible.

• phoenix Gilbert, AZ
    Feb. 1, 2013 12:41 p.m.

Torry McTyer seems like a great kid and a very good football player. It would be great to have him join the BYU football program.

In a way, I feel sorry for Christy. She clearly has trouble coping with anybody's standards but her own.

• byufan1993 Provo, , UT
    Feb. 1, 2013 12:27 p.m.

Chris B

No one at BYU says that there aren't plenty of good people in this world who do have a drink every now and then. We teach tolerance. You are making blanket statements that are not accurate, please be respectful of our beliefs as we are of yours. BYU has standards. The kids know this when they sign up. They don't have to come here if they don't want. Please be respectful.

• gamer PROVO, UT
    Feb. 1, 2013 11:17 a.m.

Would be great to get this Kid