Judge throws book at man for 'spineless' actions in swimmer's death

'I don't know how you can live with yourself,' judge says

• djc Stansbury Park, Ut
    Jan. 24, 2013 11:57 a.m.

Some or all of them were using drugs and alcohol. Just how much or whom depends on how many of them are telling any truth. The callus disregard for human life and the attempted cover-up say it all. These young men knew what they had done and decided to try to save their own skins instead of trying to render aid. Says a lot about character and moral code. I wish the judge could impose more of a sentence, but unfortunately he did all he could by law. The smug countenance shows a seeming total lack of remorse, empathy, sympathy, or guilt. Usually one who injures another purposely or accidentally feels at least some guilt and remorse. Not these three.

• Kelliebelle66 West Jordan, UT
    Jan. 24, 2013 8:53 a.m.

It's too bad that the punishment under the law is only 2.5 years and I can definitely see why Ms. Fujimoto's family would be so frustrated because her life is worth a lot more than that. I am glad the judge imposed the maximum sentence and hope that it serves as a warning to those who think about evading responsibility for their actions. I can't help but wonder what would have happened if the young men had stopped to render aid and had been honest about hitting the victim. Would they be going to trial and to jail? They say it was an accident so why did they leave the scene and lie about it? Was there something more going on such as alcohol or drug use that caused the driver to be impaired? Shepherd wasn't even driving the boat when it happened but if he had gone back and rendered aid I really don't think he would be in the position he is in now. He and his buddies showed a blatant lack of respect for human life and should pay. Sad.

• barakoboi Layton, UT
    Jan. 24, 2013 8:05 a.m.

what a joke!!! 2-1/2 years is just a slap in the wrist...

• milner Centerfield Sanpete, UT
    Jan. 24, 2013 7:45 a.m.

Not harse enough sentence!With good behaver could be out in a year or less!

• 007 Layton, UT
    Jan. 23, 2013 10:27 p.m.

She told them she was ok?

• tlaulu Taylorsville, Utah
    Jan. 23, 2013 9:19 p.m.

Thank you one old man. I'll make sure to swim far away from those boaters, and I'll have a buoy tied to my wrap around.

• one old man Ogden, UT
    Jan. 23, 2013 8:03 p.m.

True, tlaulu, but it's all the law would allow.

• tlaulu Taylorsville, Utah
    Jan. 23, 2013 5:11 p.m.

The judge didn't throw the whole book at him. Just a few pages. That was just a slap in the wrist.

• one old man Ogden, UT
    Jan. 23, 2013 3:29 p.m.

2-1/2 years is not anywhere near enough. I'm sure, though, the judge is just as frustrated as the rest of us that the law prevented a more fitting sentence.